It’s coaching vs we need new players thread

Rockethorn1978

Just now, Thatguy said:

Its pretty weird that Texas has gone exactly as well as the QB it has playing for them. Vince, Colt, Simms, Major, Ehlinger. One would think that's no coincidence. Tom got Sam year one. Charlie had Swoopes, Jerrod, and a young Shane. And before you tout how good Shane turned out to be remember a Freshman Ehlinger beat him out for the job here.

oh yeah, before I tout a good Shane....there is always a qualifier with you.  this shitshow this year is coaching.  just like it was with Charlie and just like it was with Herman.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah this shitshow is all about the QB. 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

oh yeah, before I tout a good Shane....there is always a qualifier with you.  this shitshow this year is coaching.  just like it was with Charlie and just like it was with Herman.

Two serious questions. What do you think our record would be if you simply switched out Casey with Sam? Second question. What do you think our record would be if Sterns, Eagles, Black, Smith, Ossai, Graham, Sam, J-Whitt, and Okafor were playing?

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

The qualifier is each coach has it tougher because the guy before him sucked shit through a straw. Name a coach who took over a dumpster fire with a depleted roster that isn’t a fucking hall of famer and everybody just knew he was going to be a 9-10 win guy forever. We aren’t expecting saban or even Mack, we are way past hoping for a playoff team. We need to win 9 games a couple years in a row and set a good base then build from there. Herman’s 10 win season wasn’t built on anything stable. If herman was coaching this team we would be 2-7 but with no blowouts so this board would probably be defending him somehow lol. 

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Two serious questions. What do you think our record would be if you simply switched out Casey with Sam? Second question. What do you think our record would be if Sterns, Eagles, Black, Smith, Ossai, Graham, Sam, J-Whitt, and Okafor were playing?

seriously?  who the fuck knows.  you sure as shit don't.  every fucking team in the country loses players every year to draft and injury.  the same excuses were made for 6-7 Charlie and 7-6 Tom Herman.  The result was basically the same, but somewhat more enjoyable with Herman.

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

He's not a thinker. He has no interest in even trying. 

To pretend that Charlie would not have won a few more games had he not had Swoopes/Heard/TF Shane instead of experienced Shame/Sam at QB is asinine.

Charlie probably wins 7-8 with an experienced potential NFL QB. Charlie's biggest failure was his inability to bring in a QB before getting Sam to commit in his 3rd year. He was grossly incompetent in other ways, so he'd likely have found some other way to fuck shit up or lose to Kansas anyway. 

Our team is currently filled with losers, and guys who generally don't take criticism well. They've cared more about being a football player than being good at football for a while.

Roster churn is the only way this staff has a chance. If they can't, hopefully they set up the roster/culture in a better place than the last guy.

Edited by Atticus

25 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Mental mistakes are really easy to coach and when the same ones keep happening that’s a coaching problem. It’s one thing for the oline to get beat, it’s another for them to continually miss their assignments and gap coverages 

The problem is both the players and coaches this year.  Your 100% all mental mistakes is on coaches take is wrong...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Mental mistakes are really easy to coach and when the same ones keep happening that’s a coaching problem. It’s one thing for the oline to get beat, it’s another for them to continually miss their assignments and gap coverages 

Since when are mental mistakes really easy to coach??? What world are some of you guys living in? These are starters who are getting repped and drilled over and over missing assignments. Others have come in and justified the coaches decisions. Maybe these coaches all decided to come in and retire at UT. Maybe Jeff Choate decided to quit his job as a HC to come and retire here. 

We know the coaches are generally capable and competent, the players were generally decently desired out of HS, but there's clearly a disconnect on many levels. The season is over, i'm not sure it even matters for this squad to get bowl practices at this point. Roster churn needs to happen more than roster development.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, HoustonHorn said:
12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
The problem is both the players and coaches this year.  Your 100% all mental mistakes is on coaches take is wrong...

Some people are too stupid to hold more than a single thought at a time. This thread is full of them.

It’s absolutely both players and coaches. But just getting better players doesn’t fix the lack of improvement. If we were getting better and not making the same mistakes then sure it’s the players. That’s not happening. There’s nothing to show that Sark can get it done with the better players here. Fix the problems we have instead of just wishing for a new roster. Everyone complains about coaching turnover as if roster turnover doesn’t come with its own problems. 

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Fuck Tom Herman but do you really think this is more enjoyable than Herman’s years 

Our players were actively recruiting against us, herman was derailing and rumors of substance abuse were starting. This year would be a catastrophic failure with herman at the helm, 2-7 and I’m not being dramatic. So no, none of Herman’s bullshit was enjoyable. That turtling shit when we clearly were the better team and then losing anyway was obnoxious and nothing like what we are doing now. It’s been discussed a shit load on here how many nfl players herman had to work with and still found a way to fuck our saturdays up repeatedly. Fuck. Tom. Herman. 

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Since when are mental mistakes really easy to coach??? What world are some of you guys living in? These are starters who are getting repped and drilled over and over missing assignments. Others have come in and justified the coaches decisions. Maybe these coaches all decided to come in and retire at UT. Maybe Jeff Choate decided to quit his job as a HC to come and retire here. 

We know the coaches are generally capable and competent, the players were generally decently desired out of HS, but there's clearly a disconnect on many levels. The season is over, i'm not sure it even matters for this squad to get bowl practices at this point. Roster churn needs to happen more than roster development.

Since always? Knowing your assignments isn’t hard to coach. We can’t make our oline have some physical skills they don’t have. We can teach them their assignments.

Just now, WinningIsHard said:

Our players were actively recruiting against us, herman was derailing and rumors of substance abuse were starting. This year would be a catastrophic failure with herman at the helm, 2-7 and I’m not being dramatic. So no, none of Herman’s bullshit was enjoyable. That turtling shit when we clearly were the better team and then losing anyway was obnoxious and nothing like what we are doing now. It’s been discussed a shit load on here how many nfl players herman had to work with and still found a way to fuck our saturdays up repeatedly. Fuck. Tom. Herman. 

So losing is more fun than winning?

18 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He's not a thinker. He has no interest in even trying. 

To pretend that Charlie would not have won a few more games had he not had Swoopes/Heard/TF Shane instead of experienced Shame/Sam at QB is asinine.

Charlie probably wins 7-8 with an experienced potential NFL QB. Charlie's biggest failure was his inability to bring in a QB before getting Sam to commit in his 3rd year. He was grossly incompetent in other ways, so he'd likely have found some other way to fuck shit up or lose to Kansas anyway. 

Our team is currently filled with losers, and guys who generally don't take criticism well. They've cared more about being a football player than being good at football for a while.

Roster churn is the only way this staff has a chance. If they can't, hopefully they set up the roster/culture in a better place than the last guy.

oh fuck off.  some stupid fucking poster asks dumbass elementary school hypothetical questions to try to prove a point.  whatever.  that is something a 12 year old would do.  Charlie was never going to win 8 games here. he was a disaster.

• Like 1

Just now, WinningIsHard said:

We were 4-5 going into the Kansas game with herman year 1. Fun fact about that year, Maryland put 51 points on us and urban Meyer clowned on us for pixie dust. Memory lane is awesome 

No one said Herman is good. That’s kinda the point here. We are trending the exact same path as with him except worse. At least his teams were competitive 

17 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Herman era was more enjoyable…

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

close this thread lol. There is no arguing with that. 

yeah a sugar bowl win and above .500 record was somewhat more enjoyable than 3 losing seasons of Chuck Fucking Strong.  are you an idoit?

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s absolutely both players and coaches. But just getting better players doesn’t fix the lack of improvement. If we were getting better and not making the same mistakes then sure it’s the players. That’s not happening. There’s nothing to show that Sark can get it done with the better players here. Fix the problems we have instead of just wishing for a new roster. Everyone complains about coaching turnover as if roster turnover doesn’t come with its own problems. 

If someone shows you how to shoot a basketball and you do it well in practice in the different circumstances you're able to rep in the time allowed, will you do it the right way every time during a game?

I dunno if it's a lack of focus or anxiety, but these guys will do things right about 70% of the time and just freestyle on the others.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea no shit. That’s the problem. We got another mediocre ass coach

And we are going to keep getting them because no quality coach in their right mind was going to volunteer to turn around this dumpster fire in the amount of time we expect him to.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

oh fuck off.  some stupid fucking poster asks dumbass elementary school hypothetical questions to try to prove a point.  whatever.  that is something a 12 year old would do.  Charlie was never going to win 8 games here. he was a disaster.

8 is probably a stretch, but his lack of a QB/inability to figure out the QB position was a big contributor to his record.

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

If someone shows you how to shoot a basketball and you do it well in practice in the different circumstances you're able to rep in the time allowed, will you do it the right way every time during a game?

I dunno if it's a lack of focus or anxiety, but these guys will do things right about 70% of the time and just freestyle on the others.

Do you understand that you just described a physical skill not a mental one?

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I asked the question to out you as a Sark hater. You simply do not like him and therefore are incapable of rational thought when it comes to your expectations for him year one with this shit ass team. I just wanted you to see what you look like with the layers peeled back. Can't even admit we would be better with all our receivers back and 5 NFL players including an NFL QB at the helm.

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

8 is probably a stretch, but his lack of a QB/inability to figure out the QB position was a big contributor to his record.

fair enough but he had no idea what to do on O and his OC "hiring" was pathetic.  I wouldn't have any expectation a better QB would have helped more than a game or 2.

We aren't looking for a 7 win a year guy.

Do you understand that you just described a physical skill not a mental one?

You are shown how to physically do the thing, you have proven you can do said thing. In certain situations, you fail to do said thing. 

That is generally a mental issue. You're physically capable, but you don't perform for mental reasons.

Let me know if I need to break it down further than that for you to digest.

Just now, Thatguy said:

I asked the question to out you as a Sark hater. You simply do not like him and therefore are incapable of rational thought when it comes to your expectations for him year one with this shit ass team. I just wanted you to see what you look like with the layers peeled back. Can't even admit we would be better with all our receivers back and 5 NFL players including an NFL QB at the helm.

they are 12 year old type hypothetical questions.  I don't hate Sark, he is what he is. a 7 win coach.  with the layers peeled back, you are incapable of actually seeing what he is based on his record(not hypotheticals).  rational thought would actually acknowledge what has actually happened not hypotheticals.  that pretty much shows what you are.

he could fire PK and that might help but I don't expect it.

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

You are shown how to physically do the thing, you have proven you can do said thing. In certain situations, you fail to do said thing. 

That is generally a mental issue. You're physically capable, but you don't perform for mental reasons.

Let me know if I need to break it down further than that for you to digest.

I’m talking about players not knowing their assignments, not being in position, not lining up properly, not knowing the snap count, running the wrong routes. Those are easily fixable problems that are repeating every single week.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No one said Herman is good. That’s kinda the point here. We are trending the exact same path as with him except worse. At least his teams were competitive 

1-4 Oklahoma, 1-3 tcu, 0-2 Maryland…80% of the games herman lost we were the better football team. In 2019 Matt rhule pushed Herman’s shit in, we don’t get that garbage TD in the 4th and we lose 24-3. His rosters were littered with guys who were playmakers. You think being competitive is losing by a TD or less to a team you’re better than at least 3 times a year? Sark doesn’t have that luxury this year. Somebody showed Iowa States two deep and they are better than we are, coaching and roster wise currently. Baylor and ok state are also. 

can we compensate players based on performance?

i think ultimately that's where this is going. 

you may have a highly recruited freshman at any given position with a mil in guarantees right now. what happens when said player pulls a a gg?

i think it's the players right now. part of it is the shifting landscape in cfb. we have to pay for elite players. i think we should pay for elite performances.

i'd love to see our strategy shift towards - we'll pay you more than any other program, as long as you show commitment and dominance.

let's flex.

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

1-4 Oklahoma, 1-3 tcu, 0-2 Maryland…80% of the games herman lost we were the better football team. In 2019 Matt rhule pushed Herman’s shit in, we don’t get that garbage TD in the 4th and we lose 24-3. His rosters were littered with guys who were playmakers. You think being competitive is losing by a TD or less to a team you’re better than at least 3 times a year? Sark doesn’t have that luxury this year. Somebody showed Iowa States two deep and they are better than we are, coaching and roster wise currently. Baylor and ok state are also. 

Yes that’s more competitive than getting blown out by the conference cellar dwellers 

Having been very disappointed in the coaching staff, there is an argument that Texas has a deadly combination of roster gaps that makes it very difficult to win consistently this year:

1. Lack of line depth, both offensive and defensive. The Jimmy Johnson cowboy teams demonstrated the huge value to being able to constantly rotate in two plus lines of d line depth.   We don’t have great depth in either o or d. The talent is either too young and thus not strong enough yet, or just not very good overall.  NT isn’t too bad, but everywhere else is suspect. The lines are good, but not very good or great.  

2. QB Quality - we don’t have very high quality at QB right now.  QB is always the biggest impact to wins and losses.  

3. LB Depth and Experience - don’t have either, in a scheme that demands it.

These are three huge issues.  Strong and Herman never aggressively fixed their gaps in year 2.   Let’s see what Sark does.  Recruiting certainly doesn’t look all that great for 2022 in many of these areas. So either recruiting has to pick up or they have to get decent talent from the portal.  

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m talking about players not knowing their assignments, not being in position, not lining up properly, not knowing the snap count, running the wrong routes. Those are easily fixable problems that are repeating every single week.

You don’t easily fix habits in 5 months and you definitely don’t have time during the season to fix shitty habits. Habits are easy to form but take twice as much work to undo. You understand this. Our upper class men spent years learning to tackle wrong under Orlando then learned a different technique under ash and now are probably being taught differently again under PK. How is that a recipe for success? Same on offense. Coleman is obviously not a great coach. Herb hand was an idiot. Worthy for instance has almost none of that shitty coaching and is a rock star lol. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
English is hard

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

Which cellar dwellers blew us out? 

Arkansas, Iowa St (although they will at least finish 500 this year after a good year last year), Baylor won two games last year.

I admit to being hyperbolic but to pretend this team is more competitive than Herman’s teams is just not accurate.

Arkansas, Iowa St (although they will at least finish 500 this year after a good year last year), Baylor won two games last year.

I admit to being hyperbolic but to pretend this team is more competitive than Herman’s teams is just not accurate.

this.  we are betting on Steve to break his tendencies.

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they are 12 year old type hypothetical questions.  I don't hate Sark, he is what he is. a 7 win coach.  with the layers peeled back, you are incapable of actually seeing what he is based on his record(not hypotheticals).  rational thought would actually acknowledge what has actually happened not hypotheticals.  that pretty much shows what you are.

he could fire PK and that might help but I don't expect it.

Lol. You are like the announcers who regurgitate some meaningless stat about how this player has never beaten said team even though the player in question is now with a totally different organization. 7 win Sark got his name at Washington. Then he went to USC and won 9. Every program is different. Washington is what it is. Sark would win more than 7 at Bama or Ohio State. The questions were meant to expose your thought processes. They accomplished exactly what they were supposed to. You cannot even admit that players who went to the NFL would make this team better. Its like you want this program to fail.

• Like 2