It’s coaching vs we need new players thread

Rockethorn1978

Our biggest problem is the culture we've spent a decade plus creating full of players who are beyond resistant to change...   Our defense giving up 58 points to Kansas was a blatant FUCK YOU to the coaches for Bo Davis yelling at them and until we burn it all down and purge the cancer, I don't think there is a coach one who could turn it around. Especially when you lack the depth and/or what depth you do have is still a part of the problem.  You can't force change without leverage.

3 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

Our biggest problem is the culture we've spent a decade plus creating full of players who are beyond resistant to change...   Our defense giving up 58 points to Kansas was a blatant FUCK YOU to the coaches for Bo Davis yelling at them and until we burn it all down and purge the cancer, I don't think there is a coach one who could turn it around. Especially when you lack the depth and/or what depth you do have is still a part of the problem.  You can't force change without leverage.

Leverage like deciding which players get to play and which don’t?

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Leverage like deciding which players get to play and which don’t?

Works fine if the ones on the bench don't have the same attitude as the ones on the field.  Our defensive disaster Saturday was a group effort, not just a few select players.

1 minute ago, Gaffords said:

Works fine if the ones on the bench don't have the same attitude as the ones on the field.  Our defensive disaster Saturday was a group effort, not just a few select players.

And yet Foster and others will start the next two games. 
The coaches have plenty of leverage. They aren’t using any of it because they are incompetent from the looks of things. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

Leverage, wait till the try to sign up for classes next semester! Fuck them Putos!

On 11/16/2021 at 10:04 AM, TexasPride10 said:

I hear you. This is definitely a logical way to approach the situation. HOWEVER; we said the same thing about Charlie Strong and his almighty "Purge" after his first season. We said the same shit about taking a few years to get the rot out, but we all know how that turned out. 

Charlie couldn't figure out time outs.  He might have been able to pull off the culture change but not the Xs and Os

Tom was too egotistical to realize he was making mistakes and that got under everyone's skin and ran people off

Sark is at least humble and the offense is calling the right plays, just not executing (when you see the receivers open but drop or the QB can't deliver)  Defense is combination of players and coaching.  At least see what he looks like with 2 recruiting classes since he has had 0 so far. 

On 11/16/2021 at 12:48 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Is that what our aspirations are now? To be better than Tom fucking Herman?

I mean the whole thing about Tom Herman is that if he’d been ever so slightly better he’d have won basically every game, but he kept finding ways to come up juuuust short several times a year whether the opponent was bad or good. So yeah. If we can find a coach who gets exactly one more stop or one more TD per game than Tom Herman would, I want that coach. 

52 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

I mean the whole thing about Tom Herman is that if he’d been ever so slightly better he’d have won basically every game, but he kept finding ways to come up juuuust short several times a year whether the opponent was bad or good. So yeah. If we can find a coach who gets exactly one more stop or one more TD per game than Tom Herman would, I want that coach. 

Best Texas Sucks Tom Herman GIFs | Gfycat

Tom seems to have left a large dose of this with the team.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:14 PM, Gaffords said:

I think this was a valid point vs OU, OSU, and even Baylor. The season is shot at this point. The coaches need to put their efforts into developing for next year. That doesn’t mean put out 22 freshmen, but they need to get some guys in the game and get at least 5-10 plays (redshirt eligibility allowing). I saw Mo Blackwell make a nice play vs Kansas on defense. I didn’t rewatch the game, so no idea how many snaps he got at LB, but I wouldn’t mind seeing more of him as an example 

• Like 1

I think this was a valid point vs OU, OSU, and even Baylor. The season is shot at this point. The coaches need to put their efforts into developing for next year. That doesn’t mean put out 22 freshmen, but they need to get some guys in the game and get at least 5-10 plays (redshirt eligibility allowing). I saw Mo Blackwell make a nice play vs Kansas on defense. I didn’t rewatch the game, so no idea how many snaps he got at LB, but I wouldn’t mind seeing more of him as an example 

Pretty sure Blackwell came in on 3rd downs only. In anticipation of passes. It was several occasions.

Like to see him on 1st and 2nd for a bit. It’s sad, but one big play out of a linebacker is memorable these days 

Apparently he’s not on the depth chart this week, but I don’t think that matters. He looked awfully small to me. Best guess is that he’d play the same role this week. Pretty sure he was lined up next to Overshown in that package. He’d probably get swallowed up like our other guys but worth a shot anyway as a 3 down guy.

• 10 months later...
Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well well well here we are again…

another second half collapse by all has not brakes sark. How many more will it take before the sark defenders see the red flags and realize last season wasn’t a “bad roster” but his inability to make adjustments on the fly to other coaches.

He sucks.

There were some players that needed to go, but the coaches are the problem. Easy to see this year. 

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well well well here we are again…

another second half collapse by all has not brakes sark. How many more will it take before the sark defenders see the red flags and realize last season wasn’t a “bad roster” but his inability to make adjustments on the fly to other coaches.

He sucks.

I mean, of course there are red flags. Everywhere. But, the roster that played against Tech was missing a healthy Neyor, Worthy and Ewers, a suspended Billingsley etc. it’s not super fundamentally different than what we shit the bed with last year.  
DC has to go, obviously. The O needs a healthy QB. If they get that and don’t go something like X & 1 with Ewers back there are no excuses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ahh the excuses continue. Same as last year. Some have the bar so low for sark they will continue to give him a pass. We didn’t last year or this year have 1 star shit stains and a ton of coaches can win 7/8 games with way lesser talent they coach up. But here we are again. 7 points in the second half till the rush for the FG. Sark is the head coach yet brings back PK, sounds like strong bringing back his OC when we all could see he sucked. He can’t make second half adjustments or coaching changes that are obviously needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The problem is, hiring good coaches is really, really hard and we suck at it, at least in football.   

I don't know who we should hire to replace Sark. I think we are in a Scott Frost situation and CDC will keep him for 2 more disappointing seasons after this disappointing season. After CDC gets fired in early 2025, I hope the next AD only talks to coaches who have at least one double-digit win season at a Power 5 program. 

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

It's coaching, as most rational posters said on page 1 last year.

The problem is, hiring good coaches is really, really hard and we suck at it, at least in football.  I certainly don't trust CDC and a regent to make this hire again.   

I guarantee cdc keeps sark 4 full seasons. I have two sources close to the action(I know I know big deal) and I’m not even saying it’s accurate, I’m just saying they are inner big whigs and I asked them late last night and they both said the same thing that cdc is all in on sark for 4 seasons no matter what and the only thing that could get him fired is a under 5 wins season. So the wheels have to completely come off in a glorious way which no way in hell I want. 

I also fear they will Ride pk out all season too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I guarantee cdc keeps sark 4 full seasons. I have two sources close to the action(I know I know big deal) and I’m not even saying it’s accurate, I’m just saying they are inner big whigs and I asked them late last night and they both said the same thing that cdc is all in on sark for 4 seasons no matter what and the only thing that could get him fired is a under 5 wins season. So the wheels have to completely come off in a glorious way which no way in hell I want. 

I believe it and I wouldn't bet against any of that.  Sark definitely gets 3 years and probably 4.  Then, we rinse and repeat.  

Uncanny lack of player development. 4 & 5* that almost seem to regress over the course of 3-4 years. On current roster, Bijan & X were ready from the jump, who can we say has developed significantly over their time on the 40? Even in the last 10 years? That’s on coaching, but it’s also on players & culture. Great teams have player leadership that won’t let teammates fail to develop. And, do we really think 4&5* don’t come in with fundamental high-level abilities, such that if you just threw the ball out there, told them to develop their own sandlot scheme on the fly, they couldn’t/shouldn’t beat half the teams we play? Yesterday, who thinks if O lined up & gave it to Bijan 40 times, stacked box or not, it would’ve eventually worked. On D, if told PK not to call anything, just let D run man coverage the entire game, with blitzes mixed in as D captain chose, who thinks that would’ve been worse than the D scheme PK actually called? Current coaching seems to make the talent worse. 

31 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

If we were able to hang with bama with these players it’s obvious it’s the coaches.

Mehhh unfortunately sports is not this black and white. We’re probably gonna hang with every team we play. We’re still a very young team and have key injuries. We’re starting 3 freshmen offensive linemen for a reason

37 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, of course there are red flags. Everywhere. But, the roster that played against Tech was missing a healthy Neyor, Worthy and Ewers, a suspended Billingsley etc. it’s not super fundamentally different than what we shit the bed with last year.  
DC has to go, obviously. The O needs a healthy QB. If they get that and don’t go something like X & 1 with Ewers back there are no excuses. 

I put the majority of this loss on PK/Patterson and the defense. Offense was handcuffed by injuries and did enough to win. The defense was passive and as a unit has no play makers. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If 1 was Antarctica and 10 was Death Valley temperature wise, Sark is dressed like an Eskimo.   His job is not in jeopardy and only an awful year 3 would keep him from completing four years 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

If 1 was Antarctica and 10 was Death Valley temperature wise, Sark is dressed like an Eskimo.   His job is not in jeopardy and only an awful year 3 would keep him from completing four years 

I agree. Sark is here for 4. PK doesn't need to be here another game though. We've seen enough. The fire PK thread is open and blessed.