It’s coaching vs we need new players thread

Rockethorn1978

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

7th is not very good? ok

We have 22 “committed” recruits.  Not many spots left and a whole lot of holes to fill, like an oil field worker with priapism at the cat house on a Tuesday afternoon. 

Of those we have 2 OL (guards) and 1 project at QB.  

At least we are taking care of positions in dire need.  

We do have about half the class as DL which is great, good job Bo.  And I mean that sincerely.  Though we bitched about the 3 man fronts, saw what a 4 man front could do for 1 year, then right back to the 3 man, block eating front.  Collins is being wasted.  

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Recruiting 2 more classes the way things are currently headed will not have the outcome you are thinking.  Stars do indeed matter, it’s very well documented at this point that the teams that win are the ones that recruit top >10 classes every year for a minimum of 3-4 cycles.   

Yes, stars matter.  So look at this;

image.png.d43584c9424d6432f23c2fec41bb2491.png

So why does OU Sucks kick our ass almost every year with inferior recruiting classes?

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

It’s coaching. Like others have pointed out, in a UT vs KU scenario, your second and third string players are going to be more talented than KU’s starters. 

Yesterday was 100% coaching. 

As a Tech fan, I’ve seen a difference in our team the past two games. Yes OU blew us out of the stadium, but the team played harder and better than they had previously this season. Yesterday was night and day different from the Tech team I watched all year. Same players. Only variable that changed was at the HC position. 

Coaching matters. Head coach matters. 

Absolutely.  There are only two positions that distinguish winners from losers;  The Head Coach and the Quarterback.  We know our QB is only average.  We haven't given the HC enough time to make a judgement about him.

47 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

We have 22 “committed” recruits.  Not many spots left and a whole lot of holes to fill, like an oil field worker with priapism at the cat house on a Tuesday afternoon. 

Of those we have 2 OL (guards) and 1 project at QB.  

At least we are taking care of positions in dire need.  

We do have about half the class as DL which is great, good job Bo.  And I mean that sincerely.  Though we bitched about the 3 man fronts, saw what a 4 man front could do for 1 year, then right back to the 3 man, block eating front.  Collins is being wasted.  

We have solid chances at Denver Harris and Evan Stewart. We basically have to completely shit the bed to miss out on Devon Campbell. Saying we won’t have at worst a solid recruiting class is just looking to be angry tbh

4 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

We have solid chances at Denver Harris and Evan Stewart. We basically have to completely shit the bed to miss out on Devon Campbell. Saying we won’t have at worst a solid recruiting class is just looking to be angry tbh

If solid means top 20 then sure. We need to be doing better than top 20 in recruiting if we want to compete at the top end. 

6 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

None of those 3 are coming here man.

13 minutes ago, Jiminez said:

Yes, stars matter.  So look at this;

image.png.d43584c9424d6432f23c2fec41bb2491.png

So why does OU Sucks kick our ass almost every year with inferior recruiting classes?

Because those recruiting rankings are basically equal and they have a better coach. I’m not sure why you think there is some large talent gap there

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Because those recruiting rankings are basically equal and they have a better coach. I’m not sure why you think there is some large talent gap there

Not only that but they went from one good coach to another good coach with no fall off. We have had 3 straight dumpster fires and recruiting has tanked at some point in those regimes at one point or another so it wasn't consistent and we had lots of attrition.

13 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Umm...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

We aren’t getting Harris or Stewart.  Go ahead and prepare accordingly. 

The narrative that we have zero talent on this roster did not exist prior to the season. We had holes--notably at WR and LB--but most thought the program was in ok shape. The problem was coaching. Herman just wasn't good enough, and we needed someone who could push us over the hump and win the conference.

Did we overrate our talent? Probably. Does it excuse getting shellacked by Arkansas, blowing 3 straight double digit leads (including the biggest blown lead in the history of the RRSO), and losing 5 straight (and counting) for the first time in 65 years, culminating in a home loss to Kansas? Fuck no.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TXpride said:

The narrative that we have zero talent on this roster did not exist prior to the season. We had holes--notably at WR and LB--but most thought the program was in ok shape. The problem was coaching. Herman just wasn't good enough, and we needed someone who could push us over the hump and win the conference.

Did we overrate our talent? Probably. Does it excuse getting shellacked by Arkansas, blowing 3 straight double digit leads (including the biggest blown lead in the history of the RRSO), and losing 5 straight (and counting) for the first time in 65 years, culminating in a home loss to Kansas? Fuck no.

this. the failure is epic.  the hilarious thing is that Chuck Strong actually had a 5-4 record in conf his first year.  he ended the year getting blitzed by TCU and shitstomped into Bolivian by Arkansas.

we are staring directly at 2-7 in conf.  which would basically tie the worst conf record in the last 65 years with 1988 McWilliams, 1997 Mackovic  and 2010 Brown.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

What exactly would you call losing to Kansas at home? 

recruits in the stands were recorded fucking laughing at the failure that is Steve Sarkisian.

Guys page 17 of the how to run a football program says you can’t fire any coaches in the first year. They will go by playbook no matter what happens. I’d be shocked if anyone including position coaches are fired. They are locked into it’s the players fault and cdc and anyone else that makes decisions will listen and we will roll into next year and see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Guys page 17 of the how to run a football program says you can’t fire any coaches in the first year. They will go by playbook no matter what happens. I’d be shocked if anyone including position coaches are fired. They are locked into it’s the players fault and cdc and anyone else that makes decisions will listen and we will roll into next year and see what happens.

Look at it this way, if we lose out this coaching staff will only cost the school $3.25 million per win.

What a bargain!

• Drool 1

20 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

20 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Not only that but they went from one good coach to another good coach with no fall off. We have had 3 straight dumpster fires and recruiting has tanked at some point in those regimes at one point or another so it wasn't consistent and we had lots of attrition.

Continuity in coaching and system.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think the answer to the thread topic is both.

Offense:  We seem to be calling plays to get people in the right position but two major things are holding us back.  The OL is a sieve and we do not have a viable backup QB (Card).  Our OL is confused and letting rushers free to kill Bijan and getting Thompson's thumb beat up.  Card can't hit a wide open post or go route consistently. When I watch the guard and tackle both take the DE and let the inside guy go free it is infuriating. Are the coaches telling them to do that double?  I think they must be getting baited into it.

Defense: We have limitations with the players that have been out there but they have been put in stupid situations like 5 yard gaps between DL on a 3rd and 1 where the WB telegraphs the sneak or playing 2 deep while giving up 5-6 yard passes and runs all night long. We're saying here are our talent limitations and let's double down with the scheme that exposes them.  All year we've been letting RBs get to the secondary untouched. That is on coaches.

Edited by TexasEd

Here’s a question to all The “it’s the players” posters.

Will you change your tune if the coaches trot out bj foster and others you say fucking suck and don’t care this Saturday? Wouldn’t it be on the coaches to decide personnel and notice like we all do that foster and brockemeyer basicall don’t give two shits and playing their backup won’t matter since we’re losing games anyways? 

why keep continuing playing guys who are basically sabotaging the season by not caring and playing and missing tackles on purpose and yes they are. Go watch foster tackle air and watch the ku qb spin of Brock then get pushed into the end zone by foster. Take them off the field and put in anyone because you can’t do any worse than losing with them.

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

This is what I've been trying to tell people. Those two highly touted recruiting classes are gone. The little leftovers have been injured. Couple that with the failure to recruit O-linmen and here we are. We ARE NOT good at all, and the entitlement/apathy doesn't help either. Sark has his work cut out for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

15 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Here’s a question to all The “it’s the players” posters.

Will you change your tune if the coaches trot out bj foster and others you say fucking suck and don’t care this Saturday? Wouldn’t it be on the coaches to decide personnel and notice like we all do that foster and brockemeyer basicall don’t give two shits and playing their backup won’t matter since we’re losing games anyways? 

why keep continuing playing guys who are basically sabotaging the season by not caring and playing and missing tackles on purpose and yes they are. Go watch foster tackle air and watch the ku qb spin of Brock then get pushed into the end zone by foster. Take them off the field and put in anyone because you can’t do any worse than losing with them.

Kids have to be physically and mentally ready to play at this level. Sometimes when you trot out players too early and they repeatedly fail, the shot to their confidence they never recover from. Get them bulked up and coached up and have them ready to start the season. Sometimes its not worth it to bring them out early.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Kids have to be physically and mentally ready to play at this level. Sometimes when you trot out players too early and they repeatedly fail, the shot to their confidence they never recover from. Get them bulked up and coached up and have them ready to start the season. Sometimes its not worth it to bring them out early.

That didn’t answer my question. You think playing dudes that everyone says doesn’t care is better than playing anyone behind them because it will hurt them? Then what about next year when the roster is basically all underclassmen? You’re way is a constant set up of excuses. 

9 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I am going to ride or die with Sark for a few more years. We need to give someone a chance to get the rot out. I have been skeptical even before this streak, but I am all in now.

I hear you. This is definitely a logical way to approach the situation. HOWEVER; we said the same thing about Charlie Strong and his almighty "Purge" after his first season. We said the same shit about taking a few years to get the rot out, but we all know how that turned out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Bj foster backup is a junior Chris adimora. So then trotting out by foster every week knowing the guys doesn’t give af is an indictment on this staff. You can’t feel sorry for the coaches saying guys just don’t care the they keep playing them week after week. Maybe go take a peak at the depth chart and see these guys playing behind foster and brockemeyer aren’t true freshman.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

What would our record be if Herman and staff were still here? Maybe they'd have grabbed a few more/better portal guys, maybe not. They certainly wouldn't have pulled Worthy to Austin. And I'll assume they wouldn't have been able to keep Whittington or Jones 100% healthy to this point. It goes without saying Ehlinger, Cosmi and Ossai all were bolting regardless. So I don't know how much better we'd have been, if any. Our current roster has more holes than a minnow seine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Bj foster backup is a junior Chris adimora. So then trotting out by foster every week knowing the guys doesn’t give af is an indictment on this staff. You can’t feel sorry for the coaches saying guys just don’t care the they keep playing them week after week. Maybe go take a peak at the depth chart and see these guys playing behind foster and brockemeyer aren’t true freshman.

Chris adimora’s PFF grade was a 48 from the Kansas game. 3rd worst defender we had. I saw an article by hookemheadlines about him being the worst tackler on the entire defensive roster. I don’t think it’s as easy as just next man up. Foster is probably a “leader” also. Cancerous fuck that he is. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

What would our record be if Herman and staff were still here? Maybe they'd have grabbed a few more/better portal guys, maybe not. They certainly wouldn't have pulled Worthy to Austin. And I'll assume they wouldn't have been able to keep Whittington or Jones 100% healthy to this point. It goes without saying Ehlinger, Cosmi and Ossai all were bolting regardless. So I don't know how much better we'd have been, if any. Our current roster has more holes than a minnow seine. 

Is that what our aspirations are now? To be better than Tom fucking Herman?

We don't have the players to compete at an elite level. We do have enough players that they shouldn't even need coaching to beat Kansas' backup QB and walk-on receivers. They should literally be able to go out there and come up with a rudimentary play in the huddle like it's playground football and beat that team. The coaches are doing a bad job. Getting the players to buy in and give a shit is a crucial part of what a coach does. When your players are checked out and do not give a shit, you are failing at your job as a coach. Maybe doing that here with these players is harder than it would be somewhere else with different players, but this is the job Steve Sarkisian accepted and he's not doing well at it so far.

And realistically Sark does not have time to do a tear down and a 4 year rebuild from the ground up. I don't think this program really was in a place where that should have been necessary when he got here, I don't think that's what he set out to do, but that's the job he's setting before himself. If he wants to have success here he will have to find a way to take the football players he has and turn them into a football team that is vastly better than motherfucking Kansas.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hate the narrative because you aren’t going to get any studs on campus when the fans and the media blame the players. Because they all talk and when it’s “bro these coaches are horrible”, you think any big time studs are gonna want to come here? I don’t.

Except other studs are like, "We need dudes like you, not those dudes over there."

Game recognizes game and whatnot.