It’s coaching vs we need new players thread

Rockethorn1978

3 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Recruit, develop, and put players in a position to succeed. It’s up to the players to give af. You can try and pull it out of them but if they don’t care, and refuse to do basic effort shit, not much you can do. Worthy and Bijan are in this same scheme with the same coaching. They seem to be doing fine

This is a real post. Jesus 

If a leader can’t motivate, in literally any field of work, that person will be replaced. It’s the number 1 requirement.

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Recruit, develop, and put players in a position to succeed. It’s up to the players to give af. You can try and pull it out of them but if they don’t care, and refuse to do basic effort shit, not much you can do. Worthy and Bijan are in this same scheme with the same coaching. They seem to be doing fine

The players will give a fuck if you put them in a position to succeed.

I'm seriously wondering if some people on this thread have ever played organized sports or even coached little league.  Do you "its the players" chuckle fucks have any idea what coaches are supposed to do? It's not just some video game where you pick the right play off the call sheet and press X and robot players do exactly what they are told.  If the players don't trust that you are going to put them in the best position to succeed, they play slow, uncertain, not sure what to do, they're out of position, they fuck up and make mistakes, and they lose trust in themselves and the coaches, and it's a vicious cycle. You can cycle through as many hand picked portal guys as you want and you'll still have the same problem.  

• Hook 'Em 7

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yes. What do you think a coaches job is?

Maybe he would be an effective coach for motivating talented players looking to work hard, win championships, and play on Sundays, and less good at motivating average, entitled, mentally weak players?

I am not a Sark fan. I believe my response to his hiring was “I’m pissed. I’m stunned. It’s Sark.” These players, especially on the lines, are weak spirited dog shit. These coaches have all had success previously. Logic says this is much more on the players than the coaches. Sark hiring PK and Flood wasn’t the same thing as Charlie bringing along Shawn Watson or Herman hiring a bunch of his butt buddies. Firing them all is fine, but we’re just as likely to pick more coaches with past success that may not work here or with our current talent. We have a decent class coming in. If we fire the staff most of those recruits will bail. We need talent everywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm seriously wondering if some people on this thread have ever played organized sports or even coached little league.  Do you "its the players" chuckle fucks have any idea what coaches are supposed to do? It's not just some video game where you pick the right play off the call sheet and press X and robot players do exactly what they are told.  If the players don't trust that you are going to put them in the best position to succeed, they play slow, uncertain, not sure what to do, they're out of position, they fuck up and make mistakes, and they lose trust in themselves and the coaches, and it's a vicious cycle. You can cycle through as many hand picked portal guys as you want and you'll still have the same problem.  

So I ask again. Sark at some point from 9 wins in 2014 to right now, completely forgot how to coach football? The guy that produced two Heisman winners and had 3 others invited to NY can’t put players in a position to win now? Come on guys. Take a deep breath and think about this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, A’Dam Psycho said:

So I ask again. Sark at some point from 9 wins in 2014 to right now, completely forgot how to coach football? The guy that produced two Heisman winners and had 3 others invited to NY can’t put players in a position to win now? Come on guys. Take a deep breath and think about this. 

How many as a head coach?

12 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

He's a shitty head coach. I don't know how much more evidence you need. He's a good OC in college, with the right system around him.  You're familiar with the Peter principle, correct?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Maybe he would be an effective coach for motivating talented players looking to work hard, win championships, and play on Sundays, and less good at motivating average, entitled, mentally weak players?

I am not a Sark fan. I believe my response to his hiring was “I’m pissed. I’m stunned. It’s Sark.” These players, especially on the lines, are weak spirited dog shit. These coaches have all had success previously. Logic says this is much more on the players than the coaches. Sark hiring PK and Flood wasn’t the same thing as Charlie bringing along Shawn Watson or Herman hiring a bunch of his butt buddies. Firing them all is fine, but we’re just as likely to pick more coaches with past success that may not work here or with our current talent. We have a decent class coming in. If we fire the staff most of those recruits will bail. We need talent everywhere. 

Oh you mean coaches with a perfect roster of only hard workers do better? You don’t say.

If a coach can’t find a way to motivate his team then he isn’t the right coach. Period. That’s the number 1 part of the job. 
These coaches have had success under the best coach of all time. 

cross posting from the season thread:

it's not the coaching. i mean, this season it is, and last season it was, and on and on.

but it's really the process of how texas hires football coaches. the dallas cowboys have one jerry jones who fucks everything up. we have multiple cadres of jerry joneses who are constantly trying to one up each other in a coaching search, and it appears to me that any established coach with real bona fides figures that shit out tout suite.

it's the alumni, stupid. (not you, disco, stupid, but all of us stupid)

our coaching searches are nothing like a centralized hiring process where the actual boss has a say. first it's dallas alumni, then it's houston annointing herman, then it's kevin fucking eltife dictating to the athletic director who he has got to hire. 

they are the same three resumes! yet we expect different results.

we need to stop with the "we're the joneses" crap. we need to hire an up and comer for $1 million a year and a highly incentivized contract, and give him time. instead our rich alumni jump on the newest shiny object without realizing that they have completely fucked our program with massive guaranteed contracts and outsized expectations that tie us down. you pay a head coach $5 million, you expect results. sure, pay nick saban or some other established head coach a ridiculous sum of money, but there's not a reason in hell that we should've paid charlie, tom, or steve that much until they fucking won something here.

26 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Those 9 wins are his PINNACLE. He’s sub .550 right now and he was sub .600 when we hired him.

He’s NEVER been a good HC. Ever.

3 hours ago, sportsbay said:

Coddled culture.  We need to purge most of the roster, like 95% of these guys.  We have to start over.  Sark's mistake was coming in with the same winning attitude they have at Alabama.  Clearly it's not here.  Time to clean out the roster.  More coaching changes aren't the answer.

I offer Steve Edmonds as a counter point. I saw a 5' 9'' RB push him back 10 yards while getting coaching from _iaz. Then Robinson comes in and he looks like a new player.

Edited by DanTheHorn

44 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is a real post. Jesus 

If a leader can’t motivate, in literally any field of work, that person will be replaced. It’s the number 1 requirement.

Yeah, but first that leader is given a change to replace the key people he needs to lead first. In fact they usually are told that when they are hired....

Sark has proven he knows how to align an offense to be at a championship level. He never proved he knew how to align offense, defense, special teams, and culture to be at even a 10 win level. Someone got so enamoured with the SEC (probably Eltife) that he went all in on the best SEC offensive mind from the best SEC school so we could enter the SEC ready to go. There needs to be more of an examination of who hired Sark and that person either needs to be gone or choose to resign as they have cost the UT athletics department multiple years of revenue. From a business decision alone, it was a horrific one to pay out 37 million to turn over a staff and then get a 4-6 record and a loss to Kansas. Since firing Sark is not happening, someone needs to have their head lopped off. Simply so they can't make the next terrible decision when Sark's time is up. 

1 hour ago, DiceHands said:

k lets fire the coach after one year and lets go get another coach who we can do the same thing again to.  revolving door.  it aint working.  we have to settle in and build it up.  you guys want instant success and im sorry but it aint gonna happen like that.  

LOL. Wow gave Charlie 3 years and Herman got 4. Yea were so impatient. How long should we give him then? 6 years? 8 years? Is that enough time to turn it around?

49 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

There is definitely something to your “give af” point.  There’s definitely been some, maybe a lot, of quitting amongst the players as season goals have evaporated with each consecutive loss.  Would be interesting to see the goings-on in whatever parallel universe saw UT hold onto their lead in the OU game

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, but first that leader is given a change to replace the key people he needs to lead first. In fact they usually are told that when they are hired....

He brought in an entire coaching staff. He didn’t watch film, he didn’t hit the portal. He could have gone and gotten pieces but he didn’t. 
Our fucking excuses are getting really tired.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

Exactly. Why does our fanbase keep on confusing the work of assistant coach and head coach?  We did the same with chuck and Tom.  
the skill set to be a good to decent assistant does not necessarily translate to being head. 

I think we keep looking at Bob Stoops and Lincoln Riley and hoping the same thing happens

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol so all these guys that are sabotaging the season and not giving a flying fuck keep getting put in by who? Who decides who the fuck plays? JFC some of you are dumb as fuck. These guys don’t get to pick their own playing time. They get put on the field by PK and Sark. 

Ok genius… would you rather play Josh Moore (cancer to the team) or Kai Money? I’m not saying that the coaches have immunity here, I’m just saying their hands are kinda tied. 

1 minute ago, theBlackJuanba said:

Ok genius… would you rather play Josh Moore (cancer to the team) or Kai Money? I’m not saying that the coaches have immunity here, I’m just saying their hands are kinda tied. 

If you know guys are sabotaging the game by not playing hard like you say bj foster clearly is then who’s job is it to yank him off the field? “Yea but the guy behind him is horrible and we will lose”.. yea we’re already doing that and at the least I would think you have ballsack. 

you guys bitch about the players who don’t care then watch these coaches toss them on the field week after week and your defense is the guy behind them aren’t good. Lmao. What will happen if we play a shitty backup over bj foster or brockemeyer? We will lose? Like more than 5 games?  It’s coaches. Deal with it.

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s coaching. Fucking Kansas ran at will and no one looked like they knew what they were doing 

Exactly then they keep putting guys out who don’t give af week after week because the guy behind them sucks?

Like what in the fuck could happen worse than bj roster diving at air? How can you think we have good competent coaches that see and know he doesn’t care and they run him back out the next series. 

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

This is the same team/defense that gave up 18 to 8-1 Louisiana. The players cared backed then. They cared when they lost to OU. They don’t give af right now. That’s what Sark is dealing with

Dude. Would you give a shit after getting embarrassed by ou, lose to okie lite in a horrible fashion, same with baylor. The real way to get players pumped and ready, win those fucking close games. We led at halftime every game from our Iowa state 

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Sark has proven he knows how to align an offense to be at a championship level. He never proved he knew how to align offense, defense, special teams, and culture to be at even a 10 win level. Someone got so enamoured with the SEC (probably Eltife) that he went all in on the best SEC offensive mind from the best SEC school so we could enter the SEC ready to go. There needs to be more of an examination of who hired Sark and that person either needs to be gone or choose to resign as they have cost the UT athletics department multiple years of revenue. From a business decision alone, it was a horrific one to pay out 37 million to turn over a staff and then get a 4-6 record and a loss to Kansas. Since firing Sark is not happening, someone needs to have their head lopped off. Simply so they can't make the next terrible decision when Sark's time is up. 

Isn't the governor the only person who can get rid of Eltife? I'm not sure Abbott is keen on ditching a political ally.

33 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He brought in an entire coaching staff. He didn’t watch film, he didn’t hit the portal. He could have gone and gotten pieces but he didn’t. 
Our fucking excuses are getting really tired.

He wasn't allowed his DC of choice, he hasn't even been here a year. We looked ok on paper. Quit excusing shitty players. Both parties share blame here 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

You would have a hard time finding anyone that thinks they are any closer on the path to winning championships today as they were three years ago.

If they can navigate the remainder of their schedule and finally beat tOSU, they're in the playoff. Much like Mack with OU, Harbaugh's problem is being incapable of beating Ohio State, a program much like OU that takes football seriously and recruits and develops in that manner. 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Not always how it works bruh. All it takes is a couple failures in key positions to get beat. You guys can pound your heads against the wall all you want and its not gonna change until we get better in a couple key areas. We keep losing games the same way, and it matters not who the opponent is. Here is where we lose.

1) Quarterback- We had 4 turnovers last nite. 4. The game is not close if not for that. Our QB play has been erratic all season. No stability there is a season killer.

2) O-Line- A lot of why our QBs are erratic is because of this group. They can't run block. Their pass blocking leaves a bit to be desired. Two strip sacks last nite.

3) D-line- All season we cannot generate a pass rush. When we finally do get someone free they aren't athletic enough to get the QB on the ground, and we cannot stop the run in our base defense. Last nite was no different. QB running around like Aaron Rodgers after one of our guys comes free but cannot hit home. It's been happening all season long. It was fitting for it to happen on the 2 point conversion too. For our defense it all starts here. You can't expect a secondary to cover that long.

You can blame the coach or whomever you choose but these three things are killing us every single game. Stability at QB, two better O-line players, and one or two guys who can rush the passer and we might not have lost. Football is truly a game of inches, and we are always just a little short in these three key areas. Every team is beating us the same way, and you can best believe KSU and WVU are drawing up the exact same gameplan too. Hold on to your dicks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

We need to get Dave Aranda ASAP before LSU hires him away from Baylor 

I say you go make an offer to Matt Rhule.  For non Texan, he built a good a lot of good will with Texas High School coaches.    Tell him his NFL gig is going to end like Sabans and he will want to go back to the college ranks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

He wasn't allowed his DC of choice, he hasn't even been here a year. We looked ok on paper. Quit excusing shitty players. Both parties share blame here 

I’m not excusing shitty players. But the accountability for results lies squarely on the shoulders of the guy in charge. It is his job to motivate the team, it is his job to bring in the right players, it is his job to bring in the right coaches. 
He couldn’t bring in stoops. What’s the excuse for every other coach and the lack of results?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Yes I believe he has done things that have made the team tune him out or stop believing in him. That type of performance yesterday takes special turmoil inside a locker room.

I mean he admitted as much during the post game presser.  Sark basically fucking said the team has quit on him.   I was flabbergasted it didn’t get a follow up question.  I can only guess our esteemed longhorn press contingent  was too shocked to process what was unfolding before their eyes. 

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Since he's familiar... North Carolina with Mack Brown 1.0

So you think we should aspire to be North Carolina? How much success have they had in history? 
The fact that’s the best example you can come up with proves the point. Good schools that want to win and do win fire coaches left and right until they find the right coach.

It is not possible to say if this is the coaching at this point because our line play is so bad. No O coach can undo their OLine allowing endless pressure and not creating running room, and no D coach can undo getting fucking ZERO pressure or stopping the run. You can disguise the weakness but it always reveals eventually.

Now, it becomes a coaching issue if they allow the same inability to continue. But we either develop the fuck out of some dudes or literally take 4 transfers on each side of the ball, or we run out the exact same product next year.

• Hook 'Em 2