Charity Donation

LCHorn

Following a fairly generous 2020 I’ve noticed that our giving has fallen and we need to share the wealth a bit in December.  Any suggestions on a deserving group?  At @Brisketexansuggestion last year I went heavy on Capital Area Food Bank and also did UT scholarships pretty hard. 

FWIW, we’re in Austin and the more local the better. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I just now did a "Giving Tuesday" thing on my own Facebook acct. & kicked $ 25 to the Capitol Area Council for Scouts BSA.

"META" is doing a match of up to $ 8mil, so there's always the possibility your donation could be doubled.

Also, you could get a membership & support KUT / 90.5, the local NPR affiliate. You're gonna get a tote bag outta that one.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

I just now did a "Giving Tuesday" thing on my own Facebook acct. & kicked $ 25 to the Capitol Area Council for Scouts BSA.

"META" is doing a match of up to $ 8mil, so there's always the possibility your donation could be doubled.

Also, you could get a membership & support KUT / 90.5, the local NPR affiliate. You're gonna get a tote bag outta that one.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

You’d have to give exactly at 7am on Tuesday 11/30 to be eligible for the match on Facebook.

It's not local, but my wife is involved with helping homeless people who haven't made it a profession yet get off the street and get back into society.  Organization is called Tyler Street Team.  100% volunteer.  No salaries.  Money is going directly to a good purpose. 501(c)(3), etc.

The organization started during Snomageddon to get homeless people off the street and temporarily into hotels.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This is a good topic... I have a bagful of $ to donate.  Wife works for Apple, which as a nice matching program.  Only problem is that there are something like 700,000 charities listed.  Will never have the time to go over them.  I did donate yesterday to Pets Alive for cats (always close to my heart), as it was triple-matched.

I want to donate to a matched charity(ies), and especially something for infrastructure or investment, not just a one-time meal or whatnot (as helpful as that is).  Also will be donating to a religious charity, looking for one that's again an investment (i.e. a few years ago we donated to a church which was putting in a water supply in Guatemala).  I also want to know if possible what specifically the money will go to, even if it's listed before donating.

Not really looking for advice, though comments welcome, I guess tl;dr = 1) there's a lot of charities out there, how in the world do you have the time to browse them all, and 2) I like charities that have a program of investment.  Oh well, got 30 more days, we'll see.

Not necessarily local, but it can directly impact the ones you love or call friends.  I also like how it crosses many different "risk groups" for lack of a better term.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

https://afsp.org/

and even if you don't contribute, please add 1-800-273-8255 to your phone.  You never know when you might get that call or question in person from someone needing help.

Edited by slorch

On 11/25/2021 at 9:05 PM, royiv said:

I’m a big fan of local food banks. They’re a pretty efficient way to get help to people in need in your local community. 

this. They often need manual labor as well. I usually help unload when the monthly truck from the regional food bank arrives with pallets of canned goods bought in bulk that they distribute to local, smaller food banks. Wife generally helps during public distribution on Saturdays.

We also donate to the local family shelter, and the local NPR station.

We make our daughter donate 10 % of her allowance and any other money she gets. She gets to pick the charity. She usually either picks the local animal shelter or a small time cat charity that takes strays off the streets. Around Christmas, she'll buy toys to give to the family shelter.