The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 12/31/2023 at 11:26 AM, Armybrat said:

No, but I could crank this up….

16028215-6025-4530-887A-7FFD1E826CCD.jpeg

There was a white elephant gift over xmas - a little cannon like that with a breach for actual black powder that fired BBs.  Dammit I wanted it.  Wife get another Stanley.....F me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Anybody here have opinions about Blackjack gunsmithing or somebody else you like and have had good experience with here in Austin? Somebody gave me a Tec-9 that had been in its case in the back of a closet since 1992 that looks to be in good working order but should disassembled, cleaned, inspected and test fired by someone other than me. 

Also came with a the optional barrel extender and two Intratec 32 round magazines, one of which was full of 30 year old bullets, and had one in the chamber when it was given to me.
And that's why we ALWAYS check first, kids. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I took a CZ pistol to Blackjack cause the spring in it broke. He replaced it and did a trigger job and swapped out the sights on it. I was happy with the results. This was probably 5-6 years ago. I know others who have used him as well. I bought an old 1930's pump shotgun off him once. It works. 

I have a Langdon Tactical Beretta that I need to take in, just haven't done it. The back sight is loose, hoping he can correct it.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Anybody here have opinions about Blackjack gunsmithing or somebody else you like and have had good experience with here in Austin? Somebody gave me a Tec-9 that had been in its case in the back of a closet since 1992 that looks to be in good working order but should disassembled, cleaned, inspected and test fired by someone other than me. 

Also came with a the optional barrel extender and two Intratec 32 round magazines, one of which was full of 30 year old bullets, and had one in the chamber when it was given to me.

Let me know if you do go and what your thoughts are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/23/2023 at 2:24 PM, Armybrat said:

Monday’s gun gifts…
Identical CZ75 Compact 9mm pistols for my two older sons.
Ruger Max 9mm for granddaughter’s fiancée.
Extra magazines for all three guns.
Two boxes of 9mm range ammo for each gun.
(They can buy their own self defense ammunition- that’s a personal choice).

F2576775-B768-4914-BC04-DFFCA4F795A7.jpeg

Will you be my dad? I got a damn gift card for Christmas and coffee. 

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:20 PM, Handcruser said:

And if you guys aren’t looking at 6.5 grendel you’re missing out.

Agree 100%. I've had mine for some time now and I still love it. Finding ammo in store can be a little tricky depending where you live, but I love mine. I have a AGM Rattler TS25-256 thermal on it and have killed lots of hogs and coyotes. Easy to shoot, can reach out and touch someone at longer distances if needed. Low recoil. I also can't say enough good stuff about the Rattler. There are more options out there I know, but at the time i was on a budget. I researched all of the thermals I could possibly buy and this one was the one. I love it. My buddy who uses a lower range Pulsar Thermion swears my image "looks" better. If you are looking for a budget-friendly thermal I'd suggest AGM. NOT ATN :) The price is right on those but I've heard of several issues including difficult customer service.  

Go ask for AJ. Tell him Jeff from Guns Warehouse sent you.

Blackjack does great work. If you need help let me know.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It turns out that I have a glaring deficiency in my armory that needs to be rectified ASAP due to some upcoming globetrotting.

I need a general purpose, go-to bolt action rifle for taking medium and large game in North America and in South Africa… and probably Argentina.  Target species are everything from whitetail/mullie/springbok to elk/oryx/red stag/nilgai to possibly moose/eland (I recognize that is a tall order for one rifle).  Needs to be light, maneuverable, and good shooting off of sticks.  Threaded for suppressor or brake.

After spending the last decade largely learning MSRs, I’m not up-to-date on modern bolt action hunting rifles.

I’m open to make, model, and caliber.  That said, my instinct is to go with a common, non-custom make/model in a caliber readily available both here and abroad (in the future, I plan to acquire a custom/boutique rifle (integrally suppressed?) in a mission-specific caliber like a 7mm PRC).  Budget for this application is $1K-$2500, and the glass will be a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT Plex.

I’m leaning towards a synthetic stock for weather and durability.  I’m thinking traditional straight grip for speed, but I am unfamiliar with/using the popular vertical grips that abound these days.  Love Monte Carlo stocks and generally prefer a raised comb.  The carbon fiber stocks I’ve shouldered have been sweet in feel.

For the barrel, I’m leaning towards coated to handle rough conditions and to aid in concealment (as opposed to stainless).  I know next to nothing about carbon wrapped barrels, but they look cool AF and are light.  Threaded barrel a must for brake or suppressor.    308, 30-06, or 300 Win Mag seem options that can handle the target species and are readily available.  I’m OK sacrificing some velocity for more maneuverable shorter barrels, if available for the caliber.  Sub-MOA guarantee a plus.

I’ve physically handled the Bergara B14 Carbon Wilderness, Browning X-Bolt, Christensen Mesa/Ridgeline, Fierce Carbon Rogue, Seekins Havak PH2, Tikka T3x, Weatherby Vanguard.  I’ve considered buying a barreled action and having it fitted to an aftermarket stock, but I know absolutely nothing about that process.

Looking forward to any ideas/input/advice that y’all may have.  Below, I’ll spoiler my thoughts on the rifles I’ve looked at and others that I have not but are on my radar.  TIA.

Spoiler

My thoughts on the rifles I’ve checked out so far (alpha by manufacturer):

Bergara: B-14 Ridge Carbon Wilderness.  Smooth action.  Sub-MOA guarantee.  I’ve read that carbon barrels at this price-point can have issues with the wrapping.  Shouldering scoped rifles, it seems that the stock’s angle results in a cheek weld that’s too low for me.  Biggest concern is that I’ve read and heard that Bergara has had real QC and accuracy issues in the last year.
Browning X-Bolt:  X-Bolt Speed Suppressor ready for shorter barrel option, or the Speed LR with adjustable comb.  Decent action, not as smooth as the Tikka, Bergara, or Fierce.  Stock feels small and maneuverable, but the LR has that long 26” barrel plus break or suppressor.  Love the 60* bolt lift.  Reportedly sub-MOA with quality factory ammo.  Solid reputation, Browning parts and service widely available.

Christensen Arms – Mesa or Ridgeline.  Handling these rifles, some actions were smooth, others rough, others loosely fit.  Reading online, many others feel the same way – wide variations in quality between rifles.  Stocks felt slick and cheap.  Didn’t see the quality/value at the price-points.  Was quickly turned off.

Fierce: Carbon Rogue.  Absolutely loved this rifle when I handled one at Cabela’s.  Smooooth action with 70* bolt lift.  Stock was lightweight and had a raised comb, nice palm swell, limbsaver recoil pad… it just felt right.  I also like the pic rail for the bipod, though it might get in the way on sticks.  Barrel looked sharp and has a 0.75 MOA guarantee.  Though concerned with the relatively “boutique” nature of the brand, I’d consider it the best option of the rifles I’ve evaluated and would take a chance, except…. I’ve read online absolute horror stories about getting a rifle that’s a lemon and then having to deal with Fierce (see the threads on the Rokslide forums).  Since I have a thin margin for error given the mission and application, I’m likely to pass.  It’s unfortunate.

Seekins: Havak PH2.  I know next-to-nothing about Seekins, but the rifle seemed solid with a smooth action, lightweight, decent ergonomics.  Rifle and manufacturer have good reviews online.  I’m still not sure about vertical grips, and the huge palm swell was just too much on first impression.  Though light, the rifle felt bulky relative to, say, the X-Bolt Speed.

Springfield Model 2020:  Both the Waypoint and Redline seem to be very good rifles, but I’ve never seen either in the wild.  The Redline captures my interest here because of its minimalist nature, weight, and maneuverability.  Not a fan of 90* bolt lifts, but 90* seems common. Both Waypoint and Redline are very limited in chamberings, so these options apply only if I go .308.

Tikka T3x:  Lite Veil Wideland or Lite Roughtech.  Amazingly smooth action.  I mean, that action!  Reportedly sub-MOA with quality factory ammo.  Stock, grip, magazine feel cheap.  Like the 70* bolt lift.  No previous experience with Tikka, but internet posters and reviewers absolutely rave about them.

Others on my radar that I’ve more or less discounted: 

-Beretta BRX1, Benelli BEST Lupo / R1, Franchi Momentum Elite:  I’ve never seen these in the wild and they don’t seem to have a lot of owner/user history to evaluate.

-Nosler:  Just out of budget range and have no experience with them.

-Remington:  I’ve read about and seen QC issues for years.  

-Ruger:  American.  I’ve handled and shot them.  I’m just looking for something nicer, though I’m considering getting a Ranch Rifle Gen II in 6.5 Grendel for my farm thanks to some discussion earlier in the thread.

-Savage:  Model 110.  I’ve handled a few of these, and they seem fine.  The interwebs tell me I’m looking for a higher quality rifle.

-Sako:  I read that they are essentially a more expensive Tikka.    

-Weatherby Mark V:  I have my father’s in 300 Weatherby Mag and I want something different.  

-Weatherby Vanguard:  Many barrels aren’t threaded, and may not be able to be threaded; also, want something different than a Weatherby

-Winchester Model 70:  Just haven’t found one to evaluate, not a lot of enthusiasm on the interwebs for it.  

Edited by solamente73

It turns out that I have a glaring deficiency in my armory that needs to be rectified ASAP due to some upcoming globetrotting.
I need a general purpose, go-to bolt action rifle for taking medium and large game in North America and in South Africa… and probably Argentina.  Target species are everything from whitetail/mullie/springbok to elk/oryx/red stag/nilgai to possibly moose/eland (I recognize that is a tall order for one rifle).  Needs to be light, maneuverable, and good shooting off of sticks.  Threaded for suppressor or brake.
After spending the last decade largely learning MSRs, I’m not up-to-date on modern bolt action hunting rifles.
I’m open to make, model, and caliber.  That said, my instinct is to go with a common, non-custom make/model in a caliber readily available both here and abroad (in the future, I plan to acquire a custom/boutique rifle (integrally suppressed?) in a mission-specific caliber like a 7mm PRC).  Budget for this application is $1K-$2500, and the glass will be a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT Plex.
I’m leaning towards a synthetic stock for weather and durability.  I’m thinking traditional straight grip for speed, but I am unfamiliar with/using the popular vertical grips that abound these days.  Love Monte Carlo stocks and generally prefer a raised comb.  The carbon fiber stocks I’ve shouldered have been sweet in feel.
For the barrel, I’m leaning towards coated to handle rough conditions and to aid in concealment (as opposed to stainless).  I know next to nothing about carbon wrapped barrels, but they look cool AF and are light.  Threaded barrel a must for brake or suppressor.    308, 30-06, or 300 Win Mag seem options that can handle the target species and are readily available.  I’m OK sacrificing some velocity for more maneuverable shorter barrels, if available for the caliber.  Sub-MOA guarantee a plus.
I’ve physically handled the Bergara B14 Carbon Wilderness, Browning X-Bolt, Christensen Mesa/Ridgeline, Fierce Carbon Rogue, Seekins Havak PH2, Tikka T3x, Weatherby Vanguard.  I’ve considered buying a barreled action and having it fitted to an aftermarket stock, but I know absolutely nothing about that process.
Looking forward to any ideas/input/advice that y’all may have.  Below, I’ll spoiler my thoughts on the rifles I’ve looked at and others that I have not but are on my radar.  TIA.

Spoiler

Bergara: B-14 Ridge Carbon Wilderness.  Smooth action.  Sub-MOA guarantee.  I’ve read that carbon barrels at this price-point can have issues with the wrapping.  Shouldering scoped rifles, it seems that the stock’s angle results in a cheek weld that’s too low for me.  Biggest concern is that I’ve read and heard that Bergara has had real QC and accuracy issues in the last year.
Browning X-Bolt:  X-Bolt Speed Suppressor ready for shorter barrel option, or the Speed LR with adjustable comb.  Decent action, not as smooth as the Tikka, Bergara, or Fierce.  Stock feels small and maneuverable, but the LR has that long 26” barrel plus break or suppressor.  Love the 60* bolt lift.  Reportedly sub-MOA with quality factory ammo.  Solid reputation, Browning parts and service widely available.
Christensen Arms – Mesa or Ridgeline.  Handling these rifles, some actions were smooth, others rough, others loosely fit.  Reading online, many others feel the same way – wide variations in quality between rifles.  Stocks felt slick and cheap.  Didn’t see the quality/value at the price-points.  Was quickly turned off.
Fierce: Carbon Rogue.  Absolutely loved this rifle when I handled one at Cabela’s.  Smooooth action with 70* bolt lift.  Stock was lightweight and had a raised comb, nice palm swell, limbsaver recoil pad… it just felt right.  I also like the pic rail for the bipod, though it might get in the way on sticks.  Barrel looked sharp and has a 0.75 MOA guarantee.  Though concerned with the relatively “boutique” nature of the brand, I’d consider it the best option of the rifles I’ve evaluated and would take a chance, except…. I’ve read online absolute horror stories about getting a rifle that’s a lemon and then having to deal with Fierce (see the threads on the Rokslide forums).  Since I have a thin margin for error given the mission and application, I’m likely to pass.  It’s unfortunate.
Seekins: Havak PH2.  I know next-to-nothing about Seekins, but the rifle seemed solid with a smooth action, lightweight, decent ergonomics.  Rifle and manufacturer have good reviews online.  I’m still not sure about vertical grips, and the huge palm swell was just too much on first impression.  Though light, the rifle felt bulky relative to, say, the X-Bolt Speed.
Springfield Model 2020:  Both the Waypoint and Redline seem to be very good rifles, but I’ve never seen either in the wild.  The Redline captures my interest here because of its minimalist nature, weight, and maneuverability.  Not a fan of 90* bolt lifts, but 90* seems common. Both Waypoint and Redline are very limited in chamberings, so these options apply only if I go .308.
Tikka T3x:  Lite Veil Wideland or Lite Roughtech.  Amazingly smooth action.  I mean, that action!  Reportedly sub-MOA with quality factory ammo.  Stock, grip, magazine feel cheap.  Like the 70* bolt lift.  No previous experience with Tikka, but internet posters and reviewers absolutely rave about them.

-Beretta BRX1, Benelli BEST Lupo / R1, Franchi Momentum Elite:  I’ve never seen these in the wild and they don’t seem to have a lot of owner/user history to evaluate.
-Ruger:  American.  I’ve handled and shot them.  I’m just looking for something nicer, though I’m considering getting a Ranch Rifle Gen II in 6.5 Grendel for my farm thanks to some discussion earlier in the thread.
-Savage:  Model 110.  I’ve handled a few of these, and they seem fine.  The interwebs tell me I’m looking for a higher quality rifle.
-Weatherby Mark V:  I have my father’s in 300 Weatherby Mag and I want something different.  
-Weatherby Vanguard:  Many barrels aren’t threaded, and may not be able to be threaded; also, want something different than a Weatherby
-Winchester Model 70:  Just haven’t found one to evaluate, not a lot of enthusiasm on the interwebs for it.  

I’ll be back shortly.

Spoiler

So, there’s a lot going on here.

First, 308 is not the best cartridge for what you’re looking for. You’re right, it is a tall order for one rifle. I’m going through a little of this right now (not this extreme) and I think I’ve decided on 6.5 PRC. If I had the money, I’d build a 6mm creedmoor and 6.5 PRC.

Where are you? In Austin?

I’d really look at building here.
  • Hook 'Em 1

A long time ago, I had a rifle built to do just what you are doing.  I wanted a do it all caliber that would be common in other countries.  I chose a Granite Mountain action, Pac-Nor barrel, Smithson quick detach rings and S&B scope.  Had it made in 30-06. Wide variety of ammunition made for this cartridge and is common in South America and Africa gun stores.  I load my own and make rounds according to the job at hand.  I have had great luck with it and killed a lot game in North America, South America and Africa.  Never been under gunned.  

From what I hear, Tikka makes a great rifle for the money.  I was culling in Patagonia and another culler had one in .308.  It was a killing machine.   

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Lot to unpack here.  For a jack of all trade's rifle, caliber "up", meaning go big.  In this case, 300 Winnie would make the most sense.  It's also a fairly common round and access to ammo isn't as difficult as say Weatherby/Lapua.  Especially if you are travelling.  

Of the myriad of rifles mentioned, you really can't go wrong with any of them.  They are all high quality.  

If a carbon barrel is your choice, then that will narrow things down.  I'd add the Savage Impulse.  If you like Tikka, check out the t3X Lite-D-18.  I'm a big fan of both lines.  Christensen are basically semi-custom rifles and sweet shooters.

At the end of the day, you will have a great rifle, good glass, and it will come down to practice and familiarity with the platform.  Especially shooting with sticks, on the move, and with an elevated heart rate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got my SFAR but declined in the optics he had on it. Anyone have recommendations on a good red dot in the $200 price range? I dont need anything too fancy just something that points where i want to hit. I saw a remanufactured Sig Romeo 4 on their website fir $190 but kept looking at others. When I went back it was gone 

FullSizeR.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Hide contents

Can't help you with the rifle, that's a personal thing.  Personally, I'd have a custom 70 action built up and do what you can afford with the barrel and find a stock you like. Would probably tip you on the top end of your budget but you never know.    But I'd suggest a 300win for your "all around" chambering.  Going to be overkill on your hill country whitetail.  You'll be glad you had it on your Nilgai, Elk, Moose etc.   Highly adaptable and can feed it a hundred different ways.   Sounds like you are about to have one hell of a hunting spree. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

What?????

I still have the twitches from guys at open bay shooting ranges with muzzle breaks and magnums.  So damn loud and the overpressure slams into you each and every time when they are next to you.  

Got my SFAR but declined in the optics he had on it. Anyone have recommendations on a good red dot in the $200 price range? I dont need anything too fancy just something that points where i want to hit. I saw a remanufactured Sig Romeo 4 on their website fir $190 but kept looking at others. When I went back it was gone 
FullSizeR.thumb.jpg.2cc80d8f30edd05a2a4f74a2a610f451.jpg

Plz get an lpvo. Not a red dot.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Lot to unpack here.  For a jack of all trade's rifle, caliber "up", meaning go big.  In this case, 300 Winnie would make the most sense.  It's also a fairly common round and access to ammo isn't as difficult as say Weatherby/Lapua.  Especially if you are travelling.  
Of the myriad of rifles mentioned, you really can't go wrong with any of them.  They are all high quality.  
If a carbon barrel is your choice, then that will narrow things down.  I'd add the Savage Impulse.  If you like Tikka, check out the t3X Lite-D-18.  I'm a big fan of both lines.  Christensen are basically semi-custom rifles and sweet shooters.
At the end of the day, you will have a great rifle, good glass, and it will come down to practice and familiarity with the platform.  Especially shooting with sticks, on the move, and with an elevated heart rate.

Christensen is having a hard time moving guns right now. It’s not a quality issue.

If you want a Christensen in a big caliber call Matt at arnzen Arms in Eden Prairie MN and tell him Jeff in Texas sent you. He has a ton of the Christensen biggies in stock.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Delete the savage from your list. I agree with whoever said it above.

30-06 would be fine. Kind of MEH.

300WM makes sense

300 PRC if staying in America

This is two gun purchase imo

I can’t remember what I wrote above but I’d get 2 guns.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Christensen is having a hard time moving guns right now. It’s not a quality issue.

Anything you can share why? I noticed they seemed to be stacked on the auction sites and seemed to have dropped a bit in price. Thought it may have been just a lesser model I was seeing but it’s more prevalent lately. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anything you can share why? I noticed they seemed to be stacked on the auction sites and seemed to have dropped a bit in price. Thought it may have been just a lesser model I was seeing but it’s more prevalent lately. 

Looks like they’ve flooded the market so demand has gone down. That’s why you see a ton of them available. 3 years ago you had to wait to get one.

So, people have looked elsewhere for boutique brands and that’s exacerbated the problem for them.

I don’t think there are QC issues - I haven’t heard any.

I have heard of b-14 issues accuracy wise but I’d still be a buyer because I want a carbon six llc barrel on it.

Fierce and seekins are great. Most of these guns will outshoot you. I’d rather have 2 2k rifles than 1 5k rifle.

Tikka and Sako are great.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

Looks like they’ve flooded the market so demand has gone down. That’s why you see a ton of them available. 3 years ago you had to wait to get one.

So, people have looked elsewhere for boutique brands and that’s exacerbated the problem for them.

I don’t think there are QC issues - I haven’t heard any.

I have heard of b-14 issues accuracy wise but I’d still be a buyer because I want a carbon six llc barrel on it.

Fierce and seekins are great. Most of these guns will outshoot you. I’d rather have 2 2k rifles than 1 5k rifle.

Tikka and Sako are great.

Gotcha.  Yeah I’ve also read a bit about the recent issues with Bergara, but not too deep into it as I've never been who they’re selling to.  Interested in some of the lower end Fierce stuff I’ve seen popping up. I’ve handled 3 of their higher end rifles and they were very nice but way out of stated budget.  Don’t have any first hand with seekins but folks seem to love them.  Aggy rifle, but supposedly Horizon does some nice work (out of this budget) but I’ve never handled one.  

OP, another thing for you to consider, that will add another wrinkle (sorry).   A good spot and stalk/mountain gun looks different than a safari gun, which may not be same as a blind gun etc etc.  People pay thousands to shed mere ounces on mountain rifles.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The last thing we need to start is a caliber debate.  I will post my own observations.  In a light composite stock rifle; the 300 WM has stout recoil.  I guide a lot of deer and elk hunters.  Most of them love hunting but have very little time.  As a result, they have more money than experience.  The 300 WM is a great round, but it requires attention.  Many of my hunters already have a flinch built in from too much gun.

Weight is a big issue. My 06 weighs 12 lbs with scope, sling and 3 rounds of 180 grainers.  The S&B scope is heavy.   I have carried it all over Colorado, Idaho, Africa and Patagonia.  It is not light, but not too heavy.   You can get a 7 lb scoped mountain rifle.  The recoil difference will be significant.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

The last thing we need to start is a caliber debate.  I will post my own observations.  In a light composite stock rifle; the 300 WM has stout recoil.  I guide a lot of deer and elk hunters.  Most of them love hunting but have very little time.  As a result, they have more money than experience.  The 300 WM is a great round, but it requires attention.  Many of my hunters already have a flinch built in from too much gun.

Weight is a big issue. My 06 weighs 12 lbs with scope, sling and 3 rounds of 180 grainers.  The S&B scope is heavy.   I have carried it all over Colorado, Idaho, Africa and Patagonia.  It is not light, but not too heavy.   You can get a 7 lb scoped mountain rifle.  The recoil difference will be significant.  

Yep.  Had a friend with a 7mag "mountain rifle" that absolutely sucked to fire.  It was so light the recoil/report was just not fun to practice with (I was thinking about borrowing).  30-06 with 180gr pills will take just about anything in N.America with decent placement.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Sincere thanks for all of the great responses!  The insights and suggestions have helped me further crystalize what I need to do here.

I agree with @Handcruser that this really should be a two gun buy.  For now, I need to focus one rifle that I need for South Africa this June.    

In short, a rifle suitable for stalking (as opposed to blind/bench or mountain rifle) that can take springbok, impala, gemsbok, red hartebeest, wildebeest, kudu.  This should overlap for nilgai, elk, and red stag I would think.

Many of you suggested building, and I'm very open to that, but have never done it and don't know where to begin; the interwebs are straightforward about building MSRs but not so much bolt action hunting rifles.  Based on what I've read, I assume something like a barreled Tikka T3x action mated to a custom synthetic stock would be possible, but from where to source the components and who would be able to assemble to guarantee accuracy (I'm in DFW, btw).  The thing is, I'm under some time pressure and don't want to spend a lot of time wrestling with a rifle's accuracy. 

Of off-the-shelf rifles, several mentioned Tikka, and it is definitely in my top 3.  A couple mentioned Fierce, which was my all-around favorite, but the interweb horror stories are hard to ignore, plus it seems "boutique" and I'm not sure about taking one overseas.  Surprised that no one championed the X-Bolt.

300WM seems the crowd favorite, and I don't disagree - just want the brake as shooting my dad's 300 Weatherby Mag w/o a brake is a beating.  30-06 is sentimental as it was my dad's favorite caliber.

For that second rifle down the road, I'm thinking a smaller, modern caliber and integrally suppressed, maybe from SWS Rifles, as more of a "go-to" rifle for most hunting applications in North America.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sincere thanks for all of the great responses!  The insights and suggestions have helped me further crystalize what I need to do here.
I agree with [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] that this really should be a two gun buy.  For now, I need to focus one rifle that I need for South Africa this June.    
In short, a rifle suitable for stalking (as opposed to blind/bench or mountain rifle) that can take springbok, impala, gemsbok, red hartebeest, wildebeest, kudu.  This should overlap for nilgai, elk, and red stag I would think.
Many of you suggested building, and I'm very open to that, but have never done it and don't know where to begin; the interwebs are straightforward about building MSRs but not so much bolt action hunting rifles.  Based on what I've read, I assume something like a barreled Tikka T3x action mated to a custom synthetic stock would be possible, but from where to source the components and who would be able to assemble to guarantee accuracy (I'm in DFW, btw).  The thing is, I'm under some time pressure and don't want to spend a lot of time wrestling with a rifle's accuracy. 
Of off-the-shelf rifles, several mentioned Tikka, and it is definitely in my top 3.  A couple mentioned Fierce, which was my all-around favorite, but the interweb horror stories are hard to ignore, plus it seems "boutique" and I'm not sure about taking one overseas.  Surprised that no one championed the X-Bolt.
300WM seems the crowd favorite, and I don't disagree - just want the brake as shooting my dad's 300 Weatherby Mag w/o a brake is a beating.  30-06 is sentimental as it was my dad's favorite caliber.
For that second rifle down the road, I'm thinking a smaller, modern caliber and integrally suppressed, maybe from SWS Rifles, as more of a "go-to" rifle for most hunting applications in North America.

I’ll be back soon

9 hours ago, solamente73 said:

The thing is, I'm under some time pressure and don't want to spend a lot of time wrestling with a rifle's accuracy. 

I doubt any of the mentioned factory options will let you down in the accuracy department.  <500yrds they are all probably 1MOA rifles with the right ammo.  

For the "smaller" option, I know everyone loves the 6.5CM, but I'm still a huge advocate for the 7-08.  It's a short-action, flies faster and hits harder <500yds, and has a myriad of bullet weight options for smaller or larger game.  

X-bolt is exceptional.  Don't know why I left it out.  If you want a light, super compact option, check out the Sig Sauer Cross in either .308 or 6.5CM (still both great rounds)

image.thumb.png.45e6879c6fb49b6abe86d9246b1a8a57.png

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Based on what I've read, I assume something like a barreled Tikka T3x action mated to a custom synthetic stock would be possible, but from where to source the components and who would be able to assemble to guarantee accuracy (I'm in DFW, btw).  The thing is, I'm under some time pressure and don't want to spend a lot of time wrestling with a rifle's accuracy. 

https://hillcountryrifles.com/ready-to-ship-harvester/ Here you go. I just doubled your budget for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 2:44 PM, solamente73 said:

Reveal hidden contents

This was pretty much my criteria for my current rifle. I ended up with a synthetic/ stainless Sako A7 in .300WSM. With the scope, it weighs about 7.5 lbs. you can carry it all day easily. It’s killed everything from 400 lb. hogs, Auodad, Nilgi, and Whitetails. 

I actually put it together for my Dad to go on elk hunts in his later years. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I agree with [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] that this really should be a two gun buy.  For now, I need to focus one rifle that I need for South Africa this June.    

DFW is fine. My guy is in Austin but we could work around that in the future.

For Africa I’d also add a Sako to the mix. They’re great, around $2300, and plenty of 300WM on gunbroker. If you need a rec for the dealer let me know.

For everything else in North America I’d look hard at 6.5 PRC.

I’d custom build the gun you will use more often - it just makes more sense.

If you decide to build I can set you up with the guy building mine. He’s great.

I’m doing a defiance action, carbon six barrel, pure precision M5 bottom metal, chassis TBD. Probably in 6mm creedmoor or 260 rem.

Bolt guns are pretty simple to build.

Yes to brake.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, solamente73 said:

I agree with @Handcruser that this really should be a two gun buy.

Oh that definitely opens up the box...

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

https://hillcountryrifles.com/ready-to-ship-harvester/ Here you go. I just doubled your budget for you. 

I left them off trying to stay within confines of OP budget but should have thrown them in when I mentioned a few other that blew it up.  Really nice rifles. 

47 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I’m doing a defiance action, carbon six barrel, pure precision M5 bottom metal, chassis TBD.

Homer drooling emoji 

My wife's step dad left her a SW Model 10 .38.  We lost it in house fire.  Wife really like the gun.  I've been thinking about replacing..  Yesterday I saw a Colt Metropolitian MKIII for $750.  Seemed in pretty decent shape but had a third party grip on it.  Should I buy it or a new model 10 for $850?

Edited by Litig8r

My wife's step dad left her a SW Model 10 .38.  We lost it in house fire.  Wife really like the gun.  I've been thinking about replacing..  Yesterday I saw a Colt Metropolitian MKIII for $750.  Seemed in pretty decent shape but had a third party grip on it.  Should I buy it or a new model 10 for $850?

Hard to say on the colt although that price sounds good.

What does she want the gun for?

Both are fine - but I’m not a revolver guy so take that for what it is worth.

Factory grips on gunbroker for 200. I got curious lol.

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Hard to say on the colt although that price sounds good.

What does she want the gun for?

Both are fine - but I’m not a revolver guy so take that for what it is worth.

It is for the night stand to shoot me most likely.  I have a couple revolvers but mostly semiautos.  Revolvers go bang everytime but only 6 times.  I saw that Colt used on gunbroker for $2200 but several for bids starting at $400ish

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I doubt any of the mentioned factory options will let you down in the accuracy department.  <500yrds they are all probably 1MOA rifles with the right ammo.  

For the "smaller" option, I know everyone loves the 6.5CM, but I'm still a huge advocate for the 7-08.  It's a short-action, flies faster and hits harder <500yds, and has a myriad of bullet weight options for smaller or larger game.  

X-bolt is exceptional.  Don't know why I left it out.  If you want a light, super compact option, check out the Sig Sauer Cross in either .308 or 6.5CM (still both great rounds)

I'll definitely look at the 7-08 along with others when it comes to the N. America rifle.  I'll want to keep that one short action, me thinks.  I have a friend who looked at the Sig Cross before going Ruger Precision due to budget.  I'm not a fan of these newfangled chassis precision rifles but will probably end up with one someday anyway lol.

4 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Ha ha ha very nice, and in many ways just what I was thinking.  However, they are using the T3 rather than the T3x, which in my understanding has some important upgrades over the T3.  And out of budget... for now...

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

This was pretty much my criteria for my current rifle. I ended up with a synthetic/ stainless Sako A7 in .300WSM. With the scope, it weighs about 7.5 lbs. you can carry it all day easily. It’s killed everything from 400 lb. hogs, Auodad, Nilgi, and Whitetails. 

I dig the idea of the 300WSM but am worried about ammo availability in RSA and Argentina. 

3 hours ago, Handcruser said:

For everything else in North America I’d look hard at 6.5 PRC.

I’d custom build the gun you will use more often - it just makes more sense.

If you decide to build I can set you up with the guy building mine. He’s great.

This is what I'm now thinking... getting the larger caliber (likely 300WM) soon, spend time and money training on the platform.  In the future, spend the time and money on a custom "go-to" rifle that I'll use around North America for just about anything south of moose.

Thanks to all who have chimed in - this exercise has really forced me to refine my thinking and has opened up new, exciting possibilities.

• Hook 'Em 1

FullSizeR.thumb.jpg.2cc80d8f30edd05a2a4f74a2a610f451.jpg

LPVO you can find quite a few decent entry level models from Sig, Vortex and Primary Arms. Sig and vortex are always on a mount combo sale on PSA, primary arms will occasionally run combo sales on theirs.

I have a 1-8 strike eagle, I find that the 1-6 model is much better. Even on mine at 6 and lower it’s great but at 8x magnification the eye relief is very meh.

And don’t get near me ever with that brake on the end! My ears are ringing just looking at it