The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Put 50 rounds through a suppressed CZ Scorpion today.  That was a lot of freaking fun.   I'll be in the market for a rifle/carbine at some point in the future.   Is there any reason not to consider a PCC like the Scorpion over an AR platform?   Sure, 5.56 has a better chance of defeating body armor but for my purposes (plinking mostly with the completely unlikely need for home defense) it seems like like having one ammo type is the best.

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Put 50 rounds through a suppressed CZ Scorpion today.  That was a lot of freaking fun.   I'll be in the market for a rifle/carbine at some point in the future.   Is there any reason not to consider a PCC like the Scorpion over an AR platform?   Sure, 5.56 has a better chance of defeating body armor but for my purposes (plinking mostly with the completely unlikely need for home defense) it seems like like having one ammo type is the best.

If there was ever a post for whynotboth. 

They are bad ass and very fun to shoot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Macanudo said:

it seems like like having one ammo type is the best.

9mm, 556, 270, 380. 

This is all any civilized man needs. Few thousand of the first two, and a few hundred of the latter. Any given moment. And if you want to go nuts, stock the first two until you run out of space.  

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

9mm, 556, 270, 380. 

This is all any civilized man needs. Few thousand of the first two, and a few hundred of the latter. Any given moment. And if you want to go nuts, stock the first two until you run out of space.  

380, as in 9mm kurtz or 308? I'd add 300 blackout to that list too. In fact, aside from ammo price, I'd be okay not having 556 personally. 

As for fun, I love my lever in 38/357 and if you get a Ruger Vacaro you can run both with fairly inexpensive 38. 

I have also think it required to add 22 ans 12 g.

Rabbit hole, I found it.

I'll see myself out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

380, as in 9mm kurtz or 308? I'd add 300 blackout to that list too. In fact, aside from ammo price, I'd be okay not having 556 personally. 

As for fun, I love my lever in 38/357 and if you get a Ruger Vacaro you can run both with fairly inexpensive 38. 

Rabbit hole, I found it.

I'll see myself out.

Meant 308. And I feel really stupid for leaving 22lr off that post. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

On 4/24/2024 at 2:34 PM, Macanudo said:

I've put 300+ rounds through the new Walther so far.  I'm glad I went with the 5" instead of the 4.5" because I can really tell the difference in the recoil.  That really stood out this weekend when shooting with a friend who has a Sig 365 X Macro.  That thing is dinky.  

I shoot way better with my Walther.

So here's some pics. 

20240424_142701.jpg

20240424_142648.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f42d99d0dce34f124d88c201e5755614.jpgonly walther I’ve got. Still shoots well.  Something to do with German police way back. 

• Haha 1

I went AR because I can always fix them if something happens. You can find a scorpion for under $800 - so deals are popping.

We are about to see some changes in the industry, so you guys should prepare yourselves.

Commerce dept issued a notice yesterday regarding banning exports of firearms and presented the 90 day comment rule. As of this morning that notice has been restricted somewhat, but finality is unknown. This would fuck the industry as it prepares for a slowdown, causing some to go out of business. It’s part of an effort imo to ban guns without banning guns.

Ammo issue is still on the horizon. We’re prepping for it.

Do this:
Buy ammo now
Buy a pcc in 3 months.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9mm, 22lr, 5.56, and 308 are must haves, even if you don’t have a weapon chambered in it.

Then add an alternate pistol cartridge and an odd rifle cartridge - these are what were available during covid. Think 6mm creedmoor, 450 bushmaster, etc.

Then add what you like. Mine looks like this-
9mm
22lr
6.5G
300BO

I can do anything I would ever need to do with that selection and I will never run out of ammo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

pistol caliber carbine?

If that’s what you want yes. Palmetto state has had the scorpion for $699 recently and that’s a good deal.

If you want something g similar I would expect deals to be had once the slowdown is in full swing.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9mm, 22lr, 5.56, and 308 are must haves, even if you don’t have a weapon chambered in it.

Then add an alternate pistol cartridge and an odd rifle cartridge - these are what were available during covid. Think 6mm creedmoor, 450 bushmaster, etc.

9mm
22lr
6.5G
300BO

I can do anything I would ever need to do with that selection and I will never run out of ammo.

Oh and 12g. I dont do shotguns but I do stock ammo and own them I just don’t shoot them so they’re an afterthought lol
  • Like 1

9mm
22lr
6.5G
300BO

+1

And after you’re updated to add 12g, the only thing left off that I’d add is 300blkout and 7.62x39.

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

If that’s what you want yes. Palmetto state has had the scorpion for $699 recently and that’s a good deal.

If you want something g similar I would expect deals to be had once the slowdown is in full swing.

Why would there be deals if there's a slow down?  Do you mean slow down in exports so U.S. buyers would benefit?

Why would there be deals if there's a slow down?  Do you mean slow down in exports so U.S. buyers would benefit?

If there is a slowdown that inventory is going to have to move through distribution and retail - so the price will get discounted along the way by different parties.

The export issue is related but separate.

And one other question:

What does an ammo supply look like for an average shooter?  I have 500 rounds of 9mm right now.   I plan on picking up another 250-500 rounds in the next couple of days.

Depending on my financial situation (read: getting a job any time soon), I'll add an AR in 5.56 and maybe a PCC in 9mm.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Macanudo said:

And one other question:

What does an ammo supply look like for an average shooter?  I have 500 rounds of 9mm right now.   I plan on picking up another 250-500 rounds in the next couple of days.

Depending on my financial situation (read: getting a job any time soon), I'll add an AR in 5.56 and maybe a PCC in 9mm.  

I'm not far off.  Hundreds of rounds in various calibers, but outside of .22lr, not "thousands" as I'd like.  I can say, for the average shooter there isn't much better than a PCC (besides a slick-ass lever action)

All the gun deals and Walther talk helped me remember this (they have some good Walther deals right now). If not allowed I'll take it down. A friend of mine is GM for this company: https://www.cdnnsports.com . At one time they were the largest firearms accessory dealer in the country. The owner has contacts all over the world and has a keen sense of what's coming concerning firearms. He will list some unbelievable deals to stay ahead of the curve if he thinks he'll get hung with inventory. All firearms must go through an FFL but accessories are shipped straight to you. And you might catch him selling one of his .45/70 gatling guns (they're legal to own) if you have an extra 18K laying around.     

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

And one other question:

Well, this is a very subjective topic. It's depends on a lot of various aspects. First, what sort of shooting you do is a major factor.  For example, I used to do a lot of competive shooting and tactical classes. In a IDPA shoot, it's pretty normal for me to use 100 or more rounds of ammo, for a 3 day tactical class, easy 500 and possibly a lot more. I was shooting about 4 competitions a month and 2-3 classes per year. 

So 400 rounds per month in competition of say, 9mm, plus 2 classes per year in let's just say 9mm there too is 5800 rounds per year. 

I'm am WAY above normal, and shooting competitions much less frequently now, but even so, I keep ammo around for that. So my numbers are great sku'd.

If you add in "prep" for the zombie apocalypse well... 

Right now an election is coming and the economy is weird. So...

I think conservatively for monthly range trips (50-100 rounds ??) in a single (the one you shoot most frequently) pistol caliber, I'd say 1000 rounds of that ammo is what I would suggest. That's a years worth of range ammo with a smaller amount of "zombie emergency ammo". (Zombie ammo needs fall into the super Grey area of prep world and I'm certain there are folks with millions of rounds)

Personally, at that level, I'd refresh monthly for a month. Basically, get a store of around 1000 then buy around 100 per month and the ammo bills won't ever get too big, particularly with an election on the horizon. Shit ALWAYS goes wonky in these years.

Quick side note: I'm super finicky when it comes to "Zombie ammo" and a lot less so on "practice ammo". I set up notifications when multiple specific ammo becomes available for both. Check prices when they do, and if they fall below x threshold pic up a few boxes. I'm like a fucking day trader with ammo and during covid sold enough ammo to my LGS (who's also a friend) to pay for a CCMG AR in 9mm. 

Edited by BurntEyes

And one other question:

9mm and 556
Always keep 1000 rounds on hand and replace +100 of what I shoot.

So if I shoot 100 rounds one weekend I like to buy 200. My supply is usually going up

Others-
I just keep adding to the pot. I probably have enough 2k rounds of 6.5G and 3k rounds of 300bo. I just bought more on sale last week so I’m always adding.

Just because I'm a suckered for the classics,  I've got my eye on a Colt M4 Carbine.  Prices right now aren't terrible and I can get one for around 1k.  Then I just have to buy a suppressor.

I’d much rather build one for less money but the colts are a fine brand. I do t like the front sight post on the classics so I’d pass on any of those.

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

And one other question:

I usually have about 1000rds each of 9mm, .22lr, and .223/5.56 along with another few hundred across .45LC, .45acp, .410, and 12ga. 
About 80-90% is range/practice rounds excluding a healthy number of green tips. The rest are mostly defensive. 

I'm trying to buy some .308 ammo for my SFAR. I'm always looking for a deal and know a lot of the sites to check. A lot of the vendors are selling cheaper ammo made by companies I have never heard of (Bullets 1st, Igman, Veterans Ammo) and some from overseas makers (GGG). But seeing Brat's picture of the split in half .357 makes me nervous about buying from a manufacturer I'm not familiar with. Does anyone have any insight or sources that list the quality of ammo offered? Other than social media, which is too easily manipulated. 

Edited by Crapinon
NM

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Just because I'm a suckered for the classics,  I've got my eye on a Colt M4 Carbine.  Prices right now aren't terrible and I can get one for around 1k.  

Paid $869 + tt&L about 10 years ago for my LE6920. 
Fun to shoot, but gifted it to one of my sons before the pandemic.

IMG_8459.jpeg

I'm trying to buy some .308 ammo for my SFAR. I'm always looking for a deal and know a lot of the sites to check. A lot of the vendors are selling cheaper ammo made by companies I have never heard of (Bullets 1st, Igman, Veterans Ammo) and some from overseas makers (GGG). But seeing Brat's picture of the split in half .357 makes me nervous about buying from a manufacturer I'm not familiar with. Does anyone have any insight or sources that list the quality of ammo offered? Other than social media, which is too easily manipulated. 

Igman is ok.

What kind of bullet are you looking for?

23 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Rabbit hole, I found it.

I'll see myself out.

I have a few SAA clones in .38/.357 and a Miroku made Winchester 1873 in .357 that is the smoothest lever action you will ever shoot, but unfortunately it is picky on bullet overall length because of the way the carrier block in the actual works. The one time I tried .38 in it I had to remove the magazine cap to get it unjammed. 

44 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

There is some PMC and S&B around that same price on ammoseek. S&B is great stuff. PMC is very good too. I’d go that route.

Agree on S&B  Add Prvi Partizan to that list.   I've bought a ton of it...usually through SG.  I'm normally too slow for ammoseek and it can get cumbersome (for me).

On management hunts with guests shooting doe and hogs, I normally hand them a box of S&B or PPU .243 or .270 if they're shooting my rifles.

I'd probably describe both as A- ammo at C+ ammo prices.  Both fill military and LE contracts around the world and have a LONG history.

Quality stuff and discount prices.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Handcruser said:

9mm
22lr
6.5G
300BO

300BO is the shit if you’re into AR pistols and/or suppressors 

Funny, 22LR is all I’m lacking but I keep telling myself I’ll home make one instead of buying. I need to get my CF Nylon drying setup and build my 3DP90 and Orca already

I usually try and spend $100 every 2nd or third week when browsing academy. That could be a flat of 12, or 2 boxes of 300w.  Same applies the few times a year I’m in a gun shop, but then I typically focus on harder to find stuff like my wbys and .410.    I also purchase a 100 ct box of “good” (target/match) grade .22 on top of whatever each time.  Buy a brick maybe 2x a year.     I’ve got a shitload of .22 (about half match and half bricks)   Shitload of 12 and 20 (4 flats typically) with lots of hunting (dove, quail, and duck) boxes mixed.   That varies a lot because clays are my jam and now the wife is into it so we’ve been flying thru 12/20. I’m low on 300BO at moment and some wby stuff and need to focus on that.   I don’t do pistols much, I’ve got a few boxes of cheap Winchester paper loads in 9mm, and a few magazines worth of the defense rounds loaded.   If I’m working with a new rifle and find a shelf load it LOVES, I go right back to the store and buy a bunch hoping its the same lot.  I need to break down and reload at some point because I shoot a lot of harder to find calibers and they all like different shit.  

I don’t believe in zombies.  And I’m pretty shit out of luck if something ever goes down unless someone has a massive stash of wby, grendels, wildcat loads saved up.  

I shot a couple of new guns to me this afternoon:

Springfield Saint AR.  Enjoyed shooting it even though I only put 50 rounds down range but had a pretty decent group even with just iron sights.  Granted I was only able to shoot 50 yards where I was (indoor range) but I was happy with the accuracy.  I like the gun but hate the giant "Saint" markings on the lower receiver.   I know it's pretty common for makers to emblazon their logo/brand on that part of the rifle but Springfield's is obnoxious.   I only shot 50 rounds from the Saint because I wanted to shoot their AK clone and...

I regret that.  Next up, I shot a Century Arms VSKA with a metal triangular stock and no padding.  45 rounds later and I think I gave myself a stinger in my right shoulder.  The sights sucked and I was all over the place accuracy wise.   Obviously, 7.62x39 is a whole different beast than 5.56 but I'm sticking to the smaller round for now.   

On 4/22/2024 at 7:12 PM, Handcruser said:

I knew it was reloads. Knew it.
Both nice guns. What is your gun budget sans glass? Why 270 (just curious)?

Thx for the help.  I spend time online and at the gun stores and the general consensus that I came away with was that a .270 was a rifle that would work best with what I would be shooting ( mostly deer ) and still have the ability to bring down anything else in North America if I wished.  It is my first hunting rifle and I wanted to have something that would perform well and last.  I ended up buying the Tikka t3X Lite Stainless.  Now I need to find some glass for it and sight it in.

Thanks for the help!

Thx for the help.  I spend time online and at the gun stores and the general consensus that I came away with was that a .270 was a rifle that would work best with what I would be shooting ( mostly deer ) and still have the ability to bring down anything else in North America if I wished.  It is my first hunting rifle and I wanted to have something that would perform well and last.  I ended up buying the Tikka t3X Lite Stainless.  Now I need to find some glass for it and sight it in.

Thanks for the help!

Let’s talk glass. What are you thinking? What’s the budget?

Curious on opinions about 3 completely different rifles:

Springfield Saint Victor 16" barrel AR-15.   This is is the only one I have shot and it was a nice gun.  I can get a good deal on one ($890).

FN SRP G2P AR-15 in either 16" or  14.7".   There's also an 11.5" G2 here in Houston (allegedly) that is an interesting SBR.  I haven't shot any FN rifles but this line has good reviews.  

CMMG Banshee 12.5" barrel.  Another SBR that is attractive because of the length.  

Thoughts?

Curious on opinions about 3 completely different rifles:
Springfield Saint Victor 16" barrel AR-15.   This is is the only one I have shot and it was a nice gun.  I can get a good deal on one ($890).
FN SRP G2P AR-15 in either 16" or  14.7".   There's also an 11.5" G2 here in Houston (allegedly) that is an interesting SBR.  I haven't shot any FN rifles but this line has good reviews.  
CMMG Banshee 12.5" barrel.  Another SBR that is attractive because of the length.  
Thoughts?

Cmmg+FN > SA

What do you want to do with the gun?

You should be adding PWS to the equation - they use a long strike piston and they’re fantastic. $1200ish. I have one - just a great shooter.

FN makes great AR barrels. Like - great.

Tell me more.

Plinking mostly but something to have at home in case I need to fight aliens or orcs.  

I will definitely be getting a suppressor so the CMMG or one of the shorter FNs are attractive in order to keep overall length down.  

I will check out PMS.  There are several other makers in that range that I don't know a whole lot about and haven't been around like the more "legacy" brands.   Places like PSA, POF, etc.

Plinking mostly but something to have at home in case I need to fight aliens or orcs.  
I will definitely be getting a suppressor so the CMMG or one of the shorter FNs are attractive in order to keep overall length down.  
I will check out PMS.  There are several other makers in that range that I don't know a whole lot about and haven't been around like the more "legacy" brands.   Places like PSA, POF, etc.

PSA pass
Pof hard pass

Used dd pdw should be on your list. I buy used when I can.

Build your own (have it built - most assemble for free) it takes about 20 minutes and it’s all ready to go.

If 556 12” barrel is where I’d be if using it for defense and putting a suppressor on it

If 300bo 9-10” barrel.

If you want to tuck the suppressor in that’s what I prefer

You in Houston?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1