The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I am. 

I might wander down to Collector's Firearms soon and see what all they have on the shelves when it comes to used stuff.  Their website sucks ass trying to narrow down what looks decent but they do usually have a nice selection to look over.  

I'm not quite in the "build it" head space yet.  I'm might get there but for now off the shelf with easier add-ons or  mods (grips, sights, optics, lights, stock) are more my speed.  Then I'll move on to triggers and other stuff.)

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

What about LaRue? 
Aren’t they on the preferred list these days?

They are for me. The guy is a little wacky but he makes nice rifles imo. 

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I might wander down to Collector's Firearms soon and see what all they have on the shelves when it comes to used stuff.  Their website sucks ass trying to narrow down what looks decent but they do usually have a nice selection to look over.  

Handle there, purchase what you like somewhere else imo.  Their prices are higher than giraffe pussy. 

• Like 1

I am. 
I'm not quite in the "build it" head space yet.  I'm might get there but for now off the shelf with easier add-ons or  mods (grips, sights, optics, lights, stock) are more my speed.  Then I'll move on to triggers and other stuff.)

If you walk in to a shop they can build it for you right there on the spot.

I don’t like collectors - way overpriced.

What is your budget
What about LaRue? 
Aren’t they on the preferred list these days?

They make nice guns.

I wouldn’t buy one.

YMMV.
  • Hook 'Em 1

image.thumb.png.832092ed1ea685379dc981b082afab4c.png

Any yall got that free silencer yet?

It's Free??: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IahSE4d5VJs

Why The Fix...Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkBl1lYg4Y

You're welcome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBwUpD-PZNI

Terms & Conditions: https://liveqordie.com/content/Fix-Mini-Fix-Suppressor-Promotion-Terms-and-Conditions.pdf

All the above videos mention the promo

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)

Just found out my eform1 for my pistol braced SBR was denied.  How do I find out why it was denied?  Tried to call, and after an hour on hold they told me to go to their awful website.  I have not been able to find an explanation for the denial there as of yet.  Any ideas?

Never had any background check issues when purchasing. 

Guess it might not be needed for TX in regards to the pistol brace, but still would like to figure out the issued before purchasing a can. 

*never received a letter of disapproval nor an email

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Just found out my eform1 for my pistol braced SBR was denied.  How do I find out why it was denied?  Tried to call, and after an hour on hold they told me to go to their awful website.  I have not been able to find an explanation for the denial there as of yet.  Any ideas?

Never had any background check issues when purchasing. 

Guess it might not be needed for TX in regards to the pistol brace, but still would like to figure out the issued before purchasing a can. 

*never received a letter of disapproval nor an email

Probably something technical. Did you send in multiple pics?

On 5/2/2024 at 9:42 PM, Handcruser said:

Well?????

Ordered it yesterday as a celebratory gift to myself for finding a job.   

One thing I can't figure out is whether this will be considered a pistol or SBR.   On the CMMG site, the version with the "Ripbrace" is listed as a pistol but the "Ripstock" version is a rifle.   What I ordered is supposed to have the brace and should therefore be considered the pistol version but the seller is listing as a rifle.  I was prepared to fill out Form 1 since it's a 12.5" .223/5.56 caliber weapon but I guess I'll just have to wait until it arrives to see what's what.

I have all sorts of other things to pick out now.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If it was an amnesty SBR, you can still reapply by paper. Try and find out the age t who reviewed it and try to speak to them. Mine went through despite only sending in one fingerprint card instead of two. 

Didn’t that close a year ago?

Ordered it yesterday as a celebratory gift to myself for finding a job.   
One thing I can't figure out is whether this will be considered a pistol or SBR.   On the CMMG site, the version with the "Ripbrace" is listed as a pistol but the "Ripstock" version is a rifle.   What I ordered is supposed to have the brace and should therefore be considered the pistol version but the seller is listing as a rifle.  I was prepared to fill out Form 1 since it's a 12.5" .223/5.56 caliber weapon but I guess I'll just have to wait until it arrives to see what's what.
I have all sorts of other things to pick out now.   

You shouldn’t need to form 1 it if it has the brace.

What else do you need?

4 hours ago, Handcruser said:

You shouldn’t need to form 1 it if it has the brace.

What else do you need?

Picked up some Magpul sights today.   A light is probably next then eventually an optic and a can.   

Yeah, I would assume most of them have gone through by now,  but you never know. I got mine back in October after submitting it right at the deadline.

Yeah I stopped following it altogether. I still had a braced shorter barrel that I was specifically told on this forum to keep as is and not take the deal. Doesn’t matter anyways, tragic boating accident took em all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I stopped following it altogether. I still had a braced shorter barrel that I was specifically told on this forum to keep as is and not take the deal. Doesn’t matter anyways, tragic boating accident took em all.

Smart man

Picked up some Magpul sights today.   A light is probably next then eventually an optic and a can.   

Streamlight and sure fire are the dominant players here.

Sure fire is 3x the cost but not 3x the light. Their pricing is criminal. I put a streamlight on mine.
  • Like 2

Bearcatter posted this on the Ruger forum:

Twisted barrel and heart-shaped muzzle. English made in 1765. Belonged to King George IV in 1820s. The twist may have acted as rifling. You can see the ram rod is also twisted.

IMG_2984.png

• Like 3
  • Drool 1

On 5/4/2024 at 10:10 PM, deft said:

Sorry for your loss. 

Need the surly thoughts on a new EDC. My brother just bought a Canik mete MC9 and that's nice little pistol for the price especially with that trigger. I'm currently in between going with the Canik and a Holosun optic or looking at the myriad of the Sig 365 options. I handled the XMacro yesterday and really liked that but the price point is significantly higher. Is this a buy once cry once or are there any options I should be looking at?

4 hours ago, cknight said:

Need the surly thoughts on a new EDC. My brother just bought a Canik mete MC9 and that's nice little pistol for the price especially with that trigger. I'm currently in between going with the Canik and a Holosun optic or looking at the myriad of the Sig 365 options. I handled the XMacro yesterday and really liked that but the price point is significantly higher. Is this a buy once cry once or are there any options I should be looking at?

As important as the gun itself is the holster.  If it’s uncomfortable or difficult to carry, you’ll rarely carry – defeating the entire point.

I carry a 365.  Wish I had gone with the XL or slightly larger option.  It’s a small gun, very easy to carry/conceal, not so great at the range.  Small guns are hard to shoot effectively.  I’m adding a red dot.  If you can add a light, add a light.  Like mama always said:  “nothing ever good happens when the lights are out”.  Also helps being able to see what you are aiming at.  Then comes the practice, dry fire exercises and clearing your holster. 

The gun itself has been flawless.  Small mags are a PITA to load, but they all are.  God willing you’ll never have to use it, so practice, take it apart and reassemble as many times as you can, keep it clean, and it will work for you.  Is there a range nearby where you can rent various models to try out?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

As important as the gun itself is the holster.  If it’s uncomfortable or difficult to carry, you’ll rarely carry – defeating the entire point.

I carry a 365.  Wish I had gone with the XL or slightly larger option.  It’s a small gun, very easy to carry/conceal, not so great at the range.  Small guns are hard to shoot effectively.  I’m adding a red dot.  If you can add a light, add a light.  Like mama always said:  “nothing ever good happens when the lights are out”.  Also helps being able to see what you are aiming at.  Then comes the practice, dry fire exercises and clearing your holster. 

The gun itself has been flawless.  Small mags are a PITA to load, but they all are.  God willing you’ll never have to use it, so practice, take it apart and reassemble as many times as you can, keep it clean, and it will work for you.  Is there a range nearby where you can rent various models to try out?

"I carry a 365.  Wish I had gone with the XL or slightly larger option.  It’s a small gun, very easy to carry/conceal, not so great at the range.  Small guns are hard to shoot effectively."

Our church has no restrictions on carrying firearms, though no one open carries. We have a security team headed by retired LEO's. Once a year we have a meeting to see who is carrying and trying to go over scenarios with everyone. It's not perfect but it is what it is. At our last yearly meeting, 40-50 people showed up. At least 20% of them were 70+yo women who carried small pocket pistols in their purses. I told my wife if there ever was an active shooter situation, the safest place would be on the ground, because shots are going to be flying everywhere, most of them flying wild. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I carry the 365 xmacro tacops with an enigma holster and am pleased with how easy it is to conceal.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Crapinon said:

"I carry a 365.  Wish I had gone with the XL or slightly larger option.  It’s a small gun, very easy to carry/conceal, not so great at the range.  Small guns are hard to shoot effectively."

Our church has no restrictions on carrying firearms, though no one open carries. We have a security team headed by retired LEO's. Once a year we have a meeting to see who is carrying and trying to go over scenarios with everyone. It's not perfect but it is what it is. At our last yearly meeting, 40-50 people showed up. At least 20% of them were 70+yo women who carried small pocket pistols in their purses. I told my wife if there ever was an active shooter situation, the safest place would be on the ground, because shots are going to be flying everywhere, most of them flying wild. 

Kinda like that idiot who tried to rob a cop bar in Las Vegas years ago. 😀

• Hook 'Em 1

Anybody use a speedloader for their rifles?   I have one for my pistol but thinking about grabbing one for the AR.  Thoughts on the Maglula rocker style versus the Striplula or ETS types?

Going to range tomorrow with the new Banshee.   I put some Magpul flip up sights on it to start.   Going to see how it shoots and then start looking at optics/red dots.  

Anybody use a speedloader for their rifles?   I have one for my pistol but thinking about grabbing one for the AR.  Thoughts on the Maglula rocker style versus the Striplula or ETS types?
Going to range tomorrow with the new Banshee.   I put some Magpul flip up sights on it to start.   Going to see how it shoots and then start looking at optics/red dots.  

Let us know if you want some direction on optics.

Well, here goes.

Both are great guns. I dislike both.

Cabins have a weird feel to me and 365’s I don’t like the recoil. It’s not too much, it’s just weird. I also don’t like the sound they make - I can always tell when one is being shot on the range.

Both are great reliable weapons.

What is your nightstand gun? I like to deploy the same functionality across multiple situations.

In the striker fired world, I’d shoot the following too and see what you like-
Hellcat
Hellcat pro
43x MOS

Stream light and Holosun would be my picks on the apparent budget we’re looking at if you feel inclined.
  • Hook 'Em 1