The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Re: bolt action rifle for my June trip to South Africa...  Thanks to all who have chimed in.  I piggy-backed on a topic in the hunting thread and had some great feedback there, as well.  Special thanks to @Handcruser @fattyflattie @686 and @Gladeite for their insight.

After a ton of thought, I've decided to roll with a 300 Win Mag, suppressed.  I can handle the recoil of my non-braked 300 Weatherby Mag all day, but my reservation over scope bite and inability to remain down scope after the shot are what really was bothering me, so I plan to work on technique to mitigate this.  I assume dropping to ~180 gr 300 Win Mag plus suppressor will also help.  I'll run my Sandman S if my Hyperion K isn't out of jail by mid-April.

At DSC weekend before last, I happened to walk by the Bergara booth, and I started talking with one of the reps.  I mentioned that the comb of their sporter stocks just doesn't fit me; it turned out that I wasn't the only one who felt that way.  The rep handed me a "prototype" of the new B-14 Wilderness Sierra and, wow, it was a perfect fit for me and exactly what I was looking for. 

sierralandingimage-2048x708.thumb.png.032df6203902bf123bc9706c2647fd8f.png

Adjustable comb, redesigned grip (somewhere between traditional straight grip and modern vertical grip), 22" threaded barrel to host a suppressor, smooth action, ~7.6lb to help mitigate recoil, "sub MOA guarantee," and MSRP at $1099, which leaves a ton of cash for ammo, training, and a future custom build of a 6.5 PRC or similar for a go-to, all-purpose North American hunting rifle.

Problem is that this rifle isn't hitting the market until "early Q2" 2024 (rep said early April).  I'm willing to run the risk of waiting until April for this rifle; my back-up plan is a Tikka Veil Wideland from Scheels or Fierce Carbon Rogue from Cabela's.  Question is, what is the best way to pre-order the rifle and to be at the top of the list for when it drops?  @Handcruser I've never ordered a gun that was yet to be released, but I figure that you'd know the best way to make that happen?

Edited by solamente73
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, solamente73 said:

Re: bolt action rifle for my June trip to South Africa...  Thanks to all who have chimed in.  I piggy-backed on a topic in the hunting thread and had some great feedback there, as well.  Special thanks to @Handcruser @fattyflattie @686 and @Gladeite for their insight.

After a ton of thought, I've decided to roll with a 300 Win Mag, suppressed.  I can handle the recoil of my non-braked 300 Weatherby Mag all day, but my reservation over scope bite and inability to remain down scope after the shot are what really was bothering me, so I plan to work on technique to mitigate this.  I assume dropping to ~180 gr 300 Win Mag plus suppressor will also help.  I'll run my Sandman S if my Hyperion K isn't out of jail by mid-April.

At DSC weekend before last, I happened to walk by the Bergara booth, and I started talking with one of the reps.  I mentioned that the comb of their sporter stocks just doesn't fit me; it turned out that I wasn't the only one who felt that way.  The rep handed me a "prototype" of the new B-14 Wilderness Sierra and, wow, it was a perfect fit for me and exactly what I was looking for. 

Adjustable comb, redesigned grip (somewhere between traditional straight grip and modern vertical grip), 22" threaded barrel to host a suppressor, smooth action, ~7.6lb to help mitigate recoil, "sub MOA guarantee," and MSRP at $1099, which leaves a ton of cash for ammo, training, and a future custom build of a 6.5 PRC or similar for a go-to, all-purpose North American hunting rifle.

Problem is that this rifle isn't hitting the market until "early Q2" 2024 (rep said early April).  I'm willing to run the risk of waiting until April for this rifle; my back-up plan is a Tikka Veil Wideland from Scheels or Fierce Carbon Rogue from Cabela's.  Question is, what is the best way to pre-order the rifle and to be at the top of the list for when it drops?  @Handcruser I've never ordered a gun that was yet to be released, but I figure that you'd know the best way to make that happen?

I’d guess some online dealer will have them on the auction sites very shortly after release. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So my sisters married family are French, basically helped design Lyon historically…

My BiL’s father is in his 90s now with failing health so they’ve been slowly working through everything. As they were preparing his house for sale this year, they realized he had a super old safe in the cellar.

Fast forward to getting the needed legal paper work to employ a safe cracker they found a secondary safe/lockbox inside the safe, get needed legal paper work to crack the lockbox. (Oh also forgot that the key for the safe was saved in an old bank in Lyon) the key broke and failed to open the safe, hence safe cracker)

Here is the lockbox:
c742846a03dec19f26ccc435b3d778f0.jpg

Inside the lockbox were these:
d3a867608c03afa5838e0488923ee7b8.jpg

All original but no one knows anything about them as those that knew are dead or nearing.

When I hear back from my sis about their age and everything, I’ll report back

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

I bought some “tactical” type shooting lessons at a charity auction. AR and pistol platforms to be covered by a long time FBI agent. I’m set on the AR side, but thinking I should probably look at a “modern” pistol to get the most out of this training. I haven’t been paying attention to pistol stuff for 15 years. I shoot a full size 1911 with a suppressor when I’m plinking. I also probably need to get my CCL at some point. I have a Colt Mustang Pocketlite that is a decent carry option, so I think this other pistol would be more home defense setup. I want a rail for a light, provisions for a red dot, preferably double stack mag (~12+ mag cap). I’d also like a threaded barrel at some point. Probably 9mm, could be .45, but double stack 45s that check these other boxes are really hard to come by from what I’ve seen. I’m probably missing something.

Options I see:
I could go with a nice “modern” 1911/2011 platform with a rail and provision for red dot. These seem to be really pricy. Staccato, Dan Wesson, etc. i’m decently proficient with the 1911 platform.

I could move from the early 20th century to the late 20th century and look at custom Beretta 92’s, like those from Langdon. Also pricey.

I could look at striker fired polymer stuff, but not Glocks (I threw up in my mouth a little just typing that out). I don’t like plastic pistols and Glocks look like shit to me. Apologies. I’m sure that eliminates some good functional options, but I just don’t like them. Also I do like a manual safety.

I tried understanding what Sig has done with their pistol line, but too much to sort through. Looks like some nice stuff, but kinda all over the place, so now I’m asking for help.

I’m assuming with the right gun this training will have me shooting like John Wick, so you guys tell me what I need to get there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 686 said:

I tried understanding what Sig has done with their pistol line, but too much to sort through. Looks like some nice stuff, but kinda all over the place, so now I’m asking for help.

So many options, it's hard to know where to start.  I went with the P365 because I'm a Sig fanboy.  If I wanted to really look at the perfect option, the P365XL Spectre Comp is pretty slick.  At the end of the day, it's the Indian, not the arrow.  Just pick one and dive in after you shop around some.  

I'm not a huge fan of 1911's for carry.  The smaller ones ( I have heard) have more issues that the full size frames in terms of reliability and they are much heavier than the polymer options.  I keep my 1911 near the bed or open carry at the ranch.  

45 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

So my sisters married family are French, basically helped design Lyon historically…

My BiL’s father is in his 90s now with failing health so they’ve been slowly working through everything. As they were preparing his house for sale this year, they realized he had a super old safe in the cellar.

Fast forward to getting the needed legal paper work to employ a safe cracker they found a secondary safe/lockbox inside the safe, get needed legal paper work to crack the lockbox. (Oh also forgot that the key for the safe was saved in an old bank in Lyon) the key broke and failed to open the safe, hence safe cracker)

Here is the lockbox:

All original but no one knows anything about them as those that knew are dead or nearing.

3rd one down….

https://www.ogallerie.com/auction-lot/antique-g.-mariette-single-shot-flobert-parlor-pis_A9B4D6B8BC

Also called the Flaubert parlor pistol.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Here is the lockbox:

I know where they came from...

predator_1.gif?w=584

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So many options, it's hard to know where to start.  Just pick one and dive in after you shop around some.   

Yeah the so many options part is where I’m getting overwhelmed, and I’d like to try and not learn a bunch of muscle memory stuff in this training that I’m going to have to unlearn later if I switch platforms. The instructor shoots a Glock, so I’m probably doomed to fail already.

3 minutes ago, 686 said:

Yeah the so many options part is where I’m getting overwhelmed, and I’d like to try and not learn a bunch of muscle memory stuff in this training that I’m going to have to unlearn later if I switch platforms. The instructor shoots a Glock, so I’m probably doomed to fail already.

Meh, it's just what he is comfortable with.  Most ranges have lots of options to rent.  I tried with Glock43, just couldn't make it work.  I also know more people carrying a Shield or Shield 2.0 than any other option.  Check them out as well.  My old girl

image.png.059c855e06db7661c11e3db78b9ab46e.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 686 said:

They are just so dependable and consistent. I love shooting tuned 1911's, but Glocks are as everlasting as they are ugly, like the Toyota Hilux or Herpes.

• Like 1

I have owned 1911s for 45 years, more or less.  Government, commander, LW commander, officer, .45, 9mm, etc..  I have 3 customs that are pretty to look at, I enjoy wearing and they are accurate.  But, I carry a Glock.  Either a Gen 5 19 w/RMR and light or a 30S.   Rarely clean them and never have a malfunction. They just run and run.  Both are ridiculously accurate.  I just got back from The Range and shot a 2" 5 shot group inside a 4" circle at 25 yards with the 19.  I can't do that with an iron sight 1911 at my age without readers.  I can come close to that with my custom 1911 with Nighthawk IOS system and RMR.  From concealed and on a timer, I am faster with the Glocks.  

I have taken multi-day classes, done shoot houses, trained with sheriffs deputies here and in Colorado and I guess 80+% carry a Glock.  It just works.  

It took a couple of years and several thousand rounds to master the RMR, but once you do it, speed and accuracy are very hard to beat.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Meh, it's just what he is comfortable with.  Most ranges have lots of options to rent.  I tried with Glock43, just couldn't make it work.  I also know more people carrying a Shield or Shield 2.0 than any other option.  Check them out as well.  My old girl

image.png.059c855e06db7661c11e3db78b9ab46e.png

Gifted this Shield to my DIL for her to tote around….

78B33407-36BB-45C2-A07D-74966298A068.jpeg

6 hours ago, 686 said:

I bought some “tactical” type shooting lessons at a charity auction. AR and pistol platforms to be covered by a long time FBI agent. I’m set on the AR side, but thinking I should probably look at a “modern” pistol to get the most out of this training. I haven’t been paying attention to pistol stuff for 15 years. I shoot a full size 1911 with a suppressor when I’m plinking. I also probably need to get my CCL at some point. I have a Colt Mustang Pocketlite that is a decent carry option, so I think this other pistol would be more home defense setup. I want a rail for a light, provisions for a red dot, preferably double stack mag (~12+ mag cap). I’d also like a threaded barrel at some point. Probably 9mm, could be .45, but double stack 45s that check these other boxes are really hard to come by from what I’ve seen. I’m probably missing something.

Options I see:
I could go with a nice “modern” 1911/2011 platform with a rail and provision for red dot. These seem to be really pricy. Staccato, Dan Wesson, etc. i’m decently proficient with the 1911 platform.

I could move from the early 20th century to the late 20th century and look at custom Beretta 92’s, like those from Langdon. Also pricey.

I could look at striker fired polymer stuff, but not Glocks (I threw up in my mouth a little just typing that out). I don’t like plastic pistols and Glocks look like shit to me. Apologies. I’m sure that eliminates some good functional options, but I just don’t like them. Also I do like a manual safety.

I’m assuming with the right gun this training will have me shooting like John Wick, so you guys tell me what I need to get there.

Glock

• Hook 'Em 1

Re: bolt action rifle for my June trip to South Africa...  Thanks to all who have chimed in.  I piggy-backed on a topic in the hunting thread and had some great feedback there, as well.  Special thanks to [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] [mention=205]fattyflattie[/mention] [mention=2146]686[/mention] and [mention=2928]Gladeite[/mention] for their insight.
Problem is that this rifle isn't hitting the market until "early Q2" 2024 (rep said early April).  I'm willing to run the risk of waiting until April for this rifle; my back-up plan is a Tikka Veil Wideland from Scheels or Fierce Carbon Rogue from Cabela's.  Question is, what is the best way to pre-order the rifle and to be at the top of the list for when it drops?  [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] I've never ordered a gun that was yet to be released, but I figure that you'd know the best way to make that happen?

I’m at shot. I’ll talk to them and some of my dealers tomorrow. I’ll get the skinny on an actual release date and find a dealer that will get them first. Stay tuned, but PM me to remind me because my schedule is whack.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Re: bolt action rifle for my June trip to South Africa...  Thanks to all who have chimed in.  I piggy-backed on a topic in the hunting thread and had some great feedback there, as well.  Special thanks to [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] [mention=205]fattyflattie[/mention] [mention=2146]686[/mention] and [mention=2928]Gladeite[/mention] for their insight.
Problem is that this rifle isn't hitting the market until "early Q2" 2024 (rep said early April).  I'm willing to run the risk of waiting until April for this rifle; my back-up plan is a Tikka Veil Wideland from Scheels or Fierce Carbon Rogue from Cabela's.  Question is, what is the best way to pre-order the rifle and to be at the top of the list for when it drops?  [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] I've never ordered a gun that was yet to be released, but I figure that you'd know the best way to make that happen?

Also - if I cAn firm down a release date I’ll make sure one of my dealers calls you first. As long as your good for it I’ll work to make it happen
  • Hook 'Em 2

Options I see:

You don’t want a double stack 45. Options are slim and it’s unnecessary. You want 9mm.

2011 is really the way to go because of your familiarity with the 1911 platform.

Bul armory has a new one out and I like their stuff.

CZ shadow could be an option - their new compact is sweet.

Kimber has a new variant out but I don’t know much about it. Kd9s or something.

Yes, staccato would be an option as well. C2 or P - either would work. If you want a staccato I would PM me asap lol.

And just for fyi - everyone should have a Glock 19 in their arsenal. Just sayin.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Options I see:

Also there is a staccato 4.15 model. If you want one of those call second amendment in mchenry Illinois . He has a few left.
  • Like 1

Thanks @Handcruser I will check all of this out. Staccatos are pricy so I need to measure twice and cut once on this thing.

Since everyone is lobbing plastic at me, maybe I’ll go to a local range and shoot some Tupperware and see how it goes. There’s bile in my mouth again.

Thanks [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] I will check all of this out. Staccatos are pricy so I need to measure twice and cut once on this thing.

Since everyone is lobbing plastic at me, maybe I’ll go to a local range and shoot some Tupperware and see how it goes. There’s bile in my mouth again.

New M&p with safety would be ok to consider.

Old ones no. New trigger is way better.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 686 said:

Sig P226 is what you're looking for.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I’m at shot. I’ll talk to them and some of my dealers tomorrow. I’ll get the skinny on an actual release date and find a dealer that will get them first. Stay tuned, but PM me to remind me because my schedule is whack.

Hey, could you drop by the Kahr Arms booth?

I hear that Justin Moon finally decided to get into the double stack 9mm game ……. Years after everybody else…. with the new X9

Supposedly the new offering will accept Glock mags, plus it has a new & improved takedown pin.

Also, S&W is introducing a lever rifle the Model 1854 .44 magnum…

https://www.smith-wesson.com/1854

The Kahr X9:

1DB754C9-19E8-4D18-9FAE-BBF22562F719.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just found this 35 year old Daisy BB/pellet pistol on the back of a closet shelf. 
It belongs to one of my sons who apparently forgot it when he moved out 30 years ago.

I just tried it out in the back yard, and it seems to work fine. 
Guess he’ll have a surprise next time he comes over.

1DAB86DA-3EF4-4C98-BFA2-4D2192791A22.jpeg

FB30C753-F21D-4EE2-85B4-D4C5B095A23C.jpeg

0E75A096-BD35-449E-814A-66ABF17B7C06.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Also - if I cAn firm down a release date I’ll make sure one of my dealers calls you first. As long as your good for it I’ll work to make it happen

Thank you, sincerely.  I'm good for it and will owe you one.  Though I post on Surly, I can pass the background check as I have a CHL (LTC) and I have legit cash that I've refrained from spending on hookers and blow.  If I drop the ball, denizens of this thread better neg me to bolivia.  Reminder PM inbound tomorrow.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:04 PM, BabaYaga said:

Not the most sophisticated fix, but I have a stock mount one of my rifles with a raised gel cheek pad.  Might help bridge the gap between what you have and what are buying?

I'm definitely buying vs. what I have (Delta Airlines won't get their hands on my dad's Mark V), and I've thought about a leather raised cheek pad like one of these:  https://www.tourbonstore.com/collections/cheek-rest-buttstock

On 1/22/2024 at 1:08 PM, fattyflattie said:

I’d guess some online dealer will have them on the auction sites very shortly after release. 

Most likely, but I want to ensure ahead of time that I'm at the front of the line.  i want as much time as possible to find the ammo it likes, dial in at 200-400 yards, practice off sticks, etc.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:42 PM, Speedtrucker said:

That is unbelievably cool!

On 1/22/2024 at 2:02 PM, 686 said:

I shoot a full size 1911 

my-man-denzel-washington.gif

23 hours ago, Handcruser said:

just for fyi - everyone should have a Glock 19 in their arsenal. Just sayin.

^This, if just for the wife or neighbor in case SHTF.

22 hours ago, 686 said:

Thanks @Handcruser I will check all of this out. Staccatos are pricy so I need to measure twice and cut once on this thing.

There is good Tupperware out there.  I've chosen several to protect my life and my family's.  Hammer v. striker, steel vs plastic, we live in a glorious time of quality firearms.

14 hours ago, baboso said:

Sig P226 is what you're looking for.  

image.png.c65f477629e2e2fca1ac6a37554a1cbe.png

If not a 1911, then you want a SA/DA Sig P226.  I'm discounting your mention of carrying because you went back to talking full-size, and I think the P226 platform is unmatched outside a 1911 if you are looking for metal.  Go with a MK25 or Legion... or any that you like.  You can get one that's optic ready, and threaded barrels exist.  My Sig P226 Extreme was unbelievably accurate; I sold it to a close friend who offered me 150% of the purchase price, and I regret that sale to this day.

Concealed carry is a whole 'nother discussion, but start by looking at the sig P365X and P365XL with manual safety (per your stated preference).

Edited by solamente73
  • Like 1

Thank you, sincerely.  I'm good for it and will owe you one.  Though I post on Surly, I can pass the background check as I have a CHL (LTC) and I have legit cash that I've refrained from spending on hookers and blow.  If I drop the ball, denizens of this thread better neg me to bolivia.  Reminder PM inbound tomorrow.

I just responded. See above I think. Slammed.

Looking for good dealer.

Where are you located?

I'm in DFW.

Departure is being planned for late May or early June; there is some variance based on where we go and when and for what animal.

I greatly appreciate the help.  If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be.  Worst come to worst, I'll carry on my dad's Mark V 300 Weatherby and post videos here of the TSA's reaction.

I'm in DFW.
Departure is being planned for late May or early June; there is some variance based on where we go and when and for what animal.
I greatly appreciate the help.  If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be.  Worst come to worst, I'll carry on my dad's Mark V 300 Weatherby and post videos here of the TSA's reaction.

Check PM

SIAP but Daniel Defense now has the H9.  https://danieldefense.com/daniel-h9.html

Low bore axis, trigger, and feel of a 1911 in a striker fire is the goal.

It's DD's remake of the Hudson H9.  I have two of the Hudsons in my safe - never been fired.

Interested to see the reviews of the DD version.  Hudson was certainly on to something before the went poof.

Hopefully DD has their version nailed.  Would be a great compromise for those who love shooting the 1911 but want the simplicity of SF.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just picked up another Kahr S9.

$218.03 plus shipping to my ffl. No tax. These are nice quality for the giveaway prices.

Guess they’d unloading them because Kahr just introduced their first double stack nine at the Shot Show.

https://lockedloaded.com/product/kahr-arms-s9093-s9-stainless-9mm-luger-double-3.6-71-black-polymer-grip-stainless-steel-slide#product_detail

Gotta order another steel magazine base plate to replace the “bulky” factory plate.

C534A83E-96D1-4683-9093-313C8737B3D1.jpeg

E2EF42BE-F478-4D51-A0BA-D99D5ABE6794.jpeg

6705FB10-7E63-4B32-B93B-4347D073E072.jpeg

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

SIAP but Daniel Defense now has the H9.  https://danieldefense.com/daniel-h9.html

Low bore axis, trigger, and feel of a 1911 in a striker fire is the goal.

It's DD's remake of the Hudson H9.  I have two of the Hudsons in my safe - never been fired.

Interested to see the reviews of the DD version.  Hudson was certainly on to something before the went poof.

Hopefully DD has their version nailed.  Would be a great compromise for those who love shooting the 1911 but want the simplicity of SF.

That certainly is a pretty low axis for the bore.

7 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Played with it today. I’m not a fan of

Interesting.  As I mentioned, I've never shot the two H9s I have and obviously haven't shot the DD iteration.

They aren't my cup of tea visually.  I guess my reason for buying originally was the Texas tie-in.

I'll be interested to shoot the DD but visually it still isn't that appealing.

What in the handling turns you off?

17 hours ago, Armybrat said:

That certainly is a pretty low axis for the bore.

On the wheel-gun side of the house, Chiappas are focused on the same ergonomics with the bore firing off the bottom cylinder and not the top.  I really like them, they are just so damn proud of them.  

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

On the wheel-gun side of the house, Chiappas are focused on the same ergonomics with the bore firing off the bottom cylinder and not the top.  I really like them, they are just so damn proud of them.  

Yeah, but the aesthetics are a dealbreaker for a lot of enthusiasts.

Like that Tesla “pickup truck” is for the 4x4 crowd.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, but the aesthetics are a dealbreaker for a lot of enthusiasts.

Like that Tesla “pickup truck” is for the 4x4 crowd.

Yep, but unlike the Tesla that you can't take anywhere outside of a metropolitan area that has chargers, the Chap's actually work really well.

I've always thought they were interesting revolvers so I went to their website. Why would they offer 5 versions of a competitive blank revolver? I'm assuming they fire blanks so why do they need 5 different models? Is there a gun subculture that focuses solely on shooting blanks just to make noise or pretend they're an Olympic starter?

EDIT Well after looking at their entire line, it appears they make dozens of blank firing guns in various shapes, sizes and configurations. I'm guessing they're prop guns. 

Edited by Crapinon

27 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

I've always thought they were interesting revolvers so I went to their website. Why would they offer 5 versions of a competitive blank revolver? I'm assuming they fire blanks so why do they need 5 different models? Is there a gun subculture that focuses solely on shooting blanks just to make noise or pretend they're an Olympic starter?

Good question?  No clue.