The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

300 BLK is designed to get full powder burn out of a 9 inch barrel, I believe. You only get an extra 150 fps or so going from 9 to 16 inches. So why not go shorter if you are paying to SBR?

Yeah I was extremely vague in my answer.

This was more precise in what I was getting at.

300 blk does burn most of the powder by 8.5-9”, you won’t gain noticeable accuracy and the difference in FPS is as Notlong says.

As for manufacturers, I’m not the one to answer that. I’m more of a build my own for a big a savings as possible...

20 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I am in the minority.  I can justify any caliber to myself.  

FF to self:  That 25-06 is pretty damn close to your go to 257wby.

Self to FF: No no no.  See the Wby has belted brass.  You need one without that in case you get tired of buying WBY ammo.  And did you see the figure on that stock?!?!?

FF to self:  You are right!  I never thought of it that way. 

My wife thinks I own 3-4 rifles, lulz.

Precisely....

On 12/31/2019 at 6:10 PM, fattyflattie said:

I am in the minority.  I can justify any caliber to myself.  

Same-  I can’t let the tail wag the dog.... if I like the gun, the caliber is at best a tertiary consideration.... especially in long guns. 

.17, .22, .204, 22-250, 5.56, 243, .6.5Gren, 6.5CM, .270, 7x57, .308, 30-06, .303Brit, 303 Savage, 300 Savage, 7.62x39, 7.62z57R,  8mm, 10mm, 450Bush... probably forgetting something. 

I’m a whore.  I don’t have the discipline to say no b/c of caliber compatibility. 

Edit- .30 Carbine, .300WM stuck in there too. 

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 3

Every weapon I own is a different caliber for a different purpose, but I have multiple same caliber weapons (if that makes sense). .22, .410, 45LC, .45apc, 5.56, .300 Win Mag, 8mm Mauser, 9mm, 12ga. None of that ammo could be mistakenly loaded. The closest is .45LC and .45 ACP. You can't swap ammo without mods on those.

14 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

.17, .22, .204, 22-250, 5.56243, .6.5Gren, 6.5CM, .270, 7x57, .308, 30-06, .303Brit, 303 Savage, 300 Savage, 7.62x39, 7.62z57R,  8mm, 10mm, 450Bush... probably forgetting something. 

I’m a whore.  I don’t have the discipline to say no b/c of caliber compatibility. 

Roger that.  Bolded are mine off the top of my head and excludes prior calibers like the 257 Roberts, 45-70,  and 30-30.  Not counting pistol also 9mm, 38 spcl, 45LC and 45 acp.  

Two of my nieces tote Glock 43s.

Another one has a Bond 2 shot derringer. 

A SIL carries an LCP. 

My granddaughter plans to get her LTC, and when she does I’ll give her my S&W Model 38 Airweight.

Mrs. Brat hates guns.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

I'm going to start carrying 24/7....without being too specific, let's just say of the two recent  news stories covering horrible murders in Texas that have gone national due to their depravity, I knew one victim and the daughter of the other. And within that same short time period, two friends were at a bar standing next to two people who got shot for no reason by some idiot doing a drive by because he was mad the bar staff wouldn't let him in.

People are really fucked up.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

I'm going to start carrying 24/7....without being too specific, let's just say of the two recent  news stories covering horrible murders in Texas that have gone national due to their depravity, I knew one victim and the daughter of the other. And within that same short time period, two friends were at a bar standing next to two people who got shot for no reason by some idiot doing a drive by because he was mad the bar staff wouldn't let him in.

People are really fucked up.

As do I.  There are always reasons, but I always remember the advice from my CDL class about the more you carry, the better you are in situations when you need it.  Which is the point of an EDC rig.  To be as natural and comfortable as you are with your cell phone or car keys.  In doors.  And out.  

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

The Colt forum guys think the Cobra isn’t up to snuff like the original, but one member just got the new Python (6”) and says it is excellent in fit, finish, & overall quality.

They are above my paygrade.

If you'd sell off some of your inventory I bet you could make it work.  I'm thinking about selling off some of my inventory for that thing. 

"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it does not work, you can always hit him with it."

I have a set of consecutive serial number SAAs that I purchased in 2004. I rarely used them for Cowboy Action Shooting, because I didn’t want to create a “cylinder ring” on them, but they are still pristine to today!

After each tournament shoot, I’d give each of my kids a cylinder to clean with Q tips. They loved to “help” Dad cleaning them up. The son knows that eventually they’ll be his.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

FPSRussia is/was a dipshit.

Haha, yep.  So where did he get all his gear?  Trust fund baby?  Not sure where to start looking for a BOFORS 40mm, even with the scratch in the bank?

giphy.gif

Or a full-auto pistol?

giphy.gif

"Dragons Breath" shotgun shells?  Be great for setting barns and dry pastures on fire....

shotgun-shells.gif

18 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

What is the best conceal pistol? .380 or sub9? I'm a noob buying my first pistol i should add and just signed up for a CHL course.

In terms of comfort of wear and ability to conceal, it's the size of the pistol.  Not the caliber.  Both the 9mm, and 9mm-short (ie. .380 auto) are very close in size.  I'd find a range that allows you to test and fire as many models as you can.  Terminal ballistics on the 9mm are superior due to the size of the round (vs. the 380), but will have more felt recoil.  If you are more comfortable with the .380, like shooting it better, are more accurate with it, then you will carry it more often - which is the whole point.

Find something YOU like and YOU are comfortable with.  

• Like 2

Yeah, he got fucked “selling weed in the mail”. He spent some time getting reamed by the .gov when his business partner or whatever got murdered. I think they found him tied to a chair and shot.

The majority of that stuff wasn’t his, just stuff he made videos using. He got carried away with the tannerite.

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, he got fucked “selling weed in the mail”. He spent some time getting reamed by the .gov when his business partner or whatever got murdered. I think they found him tied to a chair and shot.

The majority of that stuff wasn’t his, just stuff he made videos using. He got carried away with the tannerite.

Jeez... my buddy used to love him. 

Rule #1 if youre going to have/sell any amount of drugs. Do not keep your guns where you keep your stash 

Spent 2 months in prison last fall. He was on a podcast talking about prison life and it was rather informative.

33 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

his business partner or whatever got murdered. I think they found him tied to a chair and shot.

If you've never had a biz partner, and NOT thought about doing this, you were doing things wrong.

Notice I said "thought"....not acted upon.  I'm sure the same goes for my wife from time to time...

What is the best conceal pistol? .380 or sub9? I'm a noob buying my first pistol i should add and just signed up for a CHL course.

I’ll add to the 2 posts above mine.

If you have it narrowed to 9mm and .380, that is a start. Think about features you want,
Hand size vs frame size, thinking full frame vs commander vs compact
Waist/body size vs frame size, thinking are you gonna carry appendix or 3-6oclock
striker vs hammer
Some form of external/added safety,
Interchangeable features that you might want to keep modding(like a glock where everyone sells mods vs HK who keeps it all proprietary...)

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Then throw all that shit out the window and get a gun with some real knock down power. Buy an Ed Brown 1911 because that's the only pistol and manufacturer of 1911 you should buy. 45 acp is a man's round.

/For OP - this post is 100% tongue in cheek alluding to bullshit you see and have seen on gun forums since, well the advent of the internet by Al Gore. Also, guns are evil.

• Haha 1