College Football Is Stale and Boring

Vic Mackey

On 1/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, Huckleberry said:

The two worst ratings shares for national championship games in the last 18 years before the COVID season were the Alabama-LSU conference rematch and the third time people watched Alabama play Clemson. Hard core fans will continue to watch, but there is zero doubt that the same teams showing up over and over, or even worse playing a rematch, depresses ratings.

Forgot to mention that the the four highest ratings shares for national championship games since the BCS started in the 1998 season all had no SEC teams (last night's rating share not available yet that I know of).

Season Matchup Rating
2005 Texas-USC 21.7
2014 Ohio St.-Oregon 18.6
2000 Oklahoma-Florida St. 17.8
1999 Florida St.-Virginia Tech 17.5
2006 Florida-Ohio St. 17.4
1998 Tennessee vs. Florida St. 17.2
2002 Ohio St.-Miami (FL) 17.2
2009 Alabama-Texas 17.2
2008 Florida-Oklahoma 15.8
2017 Alabama-Georgia 15.6
2010 Auburn-Oregon 15.3
2012 Alabama-Notre Dame 15.1
2015 Alabama-Clemson 15.0
2003 LSU-Oklahoma 14.8
2013 Florida St.-Auburn 14.8
2007 LSU-Ohio St. 14.4
2019 LSU-Clemson 14.3
2016 Clemson-Alabama 14.2
2011 Alabama-LSU 14.0
2001 Miami-Nebraska 13.8
2018 Clemson-Alabama 13.8
2004 USC-Oklahoma 13.7
2020 Alabama-Ohio St. 10.3

We can update this now

Season Matchup Rating
2005 Texas-USC 21.7
2009 Alabama-Texas 17.2
2010 Auburn-Oregon 15.3
2003 LSU-Oklahoma 14.8
2007 LSU-Ohio St. 14.4
2019 LSU-Clemson 14.3
2011 Alabama-LSU 14.0
2001 Miami-Nebraska 13.8
2004 USC-Oklahoma 13.7
2021 Georgia-Alabama 12.1

There is zero denying that rematches and repetitive team appearances kill ratings.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

We can update this now

Season Matchup Rating
2005 Texas-USC 21.7
2009 Alabama-Texas 17.2
2010 Auburn-Oregon 15.3
2003 LSU-Oklahoma 14.8
2007 LSU-Ohio St. 14.4
2019 LSU-Clemson 14.3
2011 Alabama-LSU 14.0
2001 Miami-Nebraska 13.8
2004 USC-Oklahoma 13.7

There is zero denying that rematches and repetitive team appearances kill ratings.

This tells me that population matters.  The Texas/California market combination or the Texas/Florida market combination is the biggest win win for everyone.  As long as OU (most of their cock sucking fans live in Texas), aggy, or LSU (plenty of East Texas eyes follow those swamp ags).  But for Max $$$, the University of Texas should play for a National championship every 3 years. 

2 hours ago, Smax said:

I sure wish college football games were as fun and exciting as this Buffalo NE playoff game 

I sure wish the NFL would handpick 4 teams at the end of the regular season by some dorky committee and give us a 4 team "playoff" and make us wait over a month for those games and let the rest of the teams play in pointless scrimmages leading up to and after those "playoff" games. 

This Bills/Pats game was pretty much exactly like 75% of the playoff games they offer up to us.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Gaffords said:

This tells me that population matters.  The Texas/California market combination or the Texas/Florida market combination is the biggest win win for everyone.  As long as OU (most of their cock sucking fans live in Texas), aggy, or LSU (plenty of East Texas eyes follow those swamp ags).  But for Max $$$, the University of Texas should play for a National championship every 3 years. 

Well, leaving out the homerism with wanting UT in every 3 years, you’re absolutely right. As others have pointed out, making CFB a regional sport, centered in a low population, low education, low income region, caps the sport financially. ESPN had better figure this out for its own financial stake. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

We can update this now

Season Matchup Rating
2005 Texas-USC 21.7
2009 Alabama-Texas 17.2
2010 Auburn-Oregon 15.3
2003 LSU-Oklahoma 14.8
2007 LSU-Ohio St. 14.4
2019 LSU-Clemson 14.3
2011 Alabama-LSU 14.0
2001 Miami-Nebraska 13.8
2004 USC-Oklahoma 13.7

"That's almost a 20% increase over 2020...  They love this shit!  they want MORE SEC!!!"

Edited by slorch

In other words they fucked themselves out of revenue for condoning the 2008 bullshit. Good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Smax said:

I sure wish college football games were as fun and exciting as this Buffalo NE playoff game 

That’s cherry-picking one game. The Bengals-Raiders game was a solid game. Not to mention the Raiders-Chargers game last week was as fun and exciting as any college football game this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, nnm said:

Well, leaving out the homerism with wanting UT in every 3 years, you’re absolutely right. As others have pointed out, making CFB a regional sport, centered in a low population, low education, low income region, caps the sport financially. ESPN had better figure this out for its own financial stake. 

Your source data is wrong.

The Southeast is the #1 region in the US by GDP according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis. The Southeastern US accounts for over 20% of national GDP.
The Southeast is also the fastest growing region, both by GDP and by population.
The population of the states comprising "SEC country" is the largest among all conferences, followed closely by the ACC (which has more mid-Atlantic states), and both of those conferences are far ahead of the rest of the pack.

Then consider that 5 of the top 8 states producing NFL talent are also in the SEC (Texas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana).

ESPN didn't make college football a regional sport. It kind of is a regional sport, with some amount of talent and interest in California and the Midwest, and I would argue that California is a dubious football market to begin with.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stork642 said:

The only problem college football has is Saban.   Just as soon as he starts to decline/retire that will solve those issues.   We are seeing the effects of unprecedented domination by that little dwarf.  Hope he is gone soon.   

No. It was bad enough that they restructured CFB to take away the lottery ticket that BYU and Houston had to win a national title.  Now they are working to cut off the traditional end of the year celebration bowl.  That's telling large numbers of mid tier school alumni that they have nothing to hope for. 

The Southeast is the #1 region in the US by GDP according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis. The Southeastern US accounts for over 20% of national GDP.
The Southeast is also the fastest growing region, both by GDP and by population.
The population of the states comprising "SEC country" is the largest among all conferences, followed closely by the ACC (which has more mid-Atlantic states), and both of those conferences are far ahead of the rest of the pack.
Then consider that 5 of the top 8 states producing NFL talent are also in the SEC (Texas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana).
ESPN didn't make college football a regional sport. It kind of is a regional sport, with some amount of talent and interest in California and the Midwest, and I would argue that California is a dubious football market to begin with.

What does pre-pandemic gdp look like?

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

What does pre-pandemic gdp look like?

Like yesterday's news?

It's essentially the same, but even if it was markedly different, it would only serve to demonstrate that the economy of the southeast is resilient and vibrant in ways that the economies of states and regions diminished by the pandemic are not. 

19 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

lol.  jesus christ.  the "southeast" is eleven fucking states.  the next highest bundled region is six.  southwest is four states.  and your own data source does not support you on it being the fastest growing region by gdp.

It's essentially the same, but even if it was markedly different, it would only serve to demonstrate that the economy of the southeast is resilient and vibrant in ways that the economies of states and regions diminished by the pandemic are not. 

the 2020 decrease in gdp for the southeast was -3.2. of the 8 regions, this puts it at 5th out of 8 in terms of weathering the negative impact of the pandemic.  it is no more "resilient" than other regions and was diminished more than others.  in terms of growth in 2021, based on the data in your link, it was right at the average in q1, below average in q2, and just above average in q3. your data does not support your conclusions that it is the fastest growing region by gdp.

Edited by sidis
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sidis said:

lol.  jesus christ.  the "southeast" is eleven fucking states.  the next highest bundled region is six.  southwest is four states. 

Yeah, that took about 5 seconds to see.

Hey guys, you're wrong, California doesn't have a really high GDP. Check this analysis out where it shows that out of the two groups, States Not Named California have over 5 times the GDP that States Named California have.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, that took about 5 seconds to see.

Hey guys, you're wrong, California doesn't have a really high GDP. Check this analysis out where it shows that out of the two groups, States Not Named California have over 5 times the GDP that States Named California have.

Now do Mississippi. And Alabama. Hell, do all the SECX3 states except GA and FLA. 

54 minutes ago, sidis said:

lol.  jesus christ.  the "southeast" is eleven fucking states.  the next highest bundled region is six.  southwest is four states.  and your own data source does not support you on it being the fastest growing region by gdp.

the 2020 decrease in gdp for the southeast was -3.2. of the 8 regions, this puts it at 5th out of 8 in terms of weathering the negative impact of the pandemic.  it is no more "resilient" than other regions and was diminished more than others.  in terms of growth in 2021, based on the data in your link, it was right at the average in q1, below average in q2, and just above average in q3. your data does not support your conclusions that it is the fastest growing region by gdp.

The BEA bundled the states into regions, not me. I recommend sending them a strongly worded letter, and remind them that your taxes pay their salaries.

The original comment was that the southeast is a poor region with a small population. It's not.
Bundle it however you want. The states comprising the SEC - including Texas and Oklahoma - are responsible for more than, what, 25% of GDP? And over 30% of the population?

51 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

California is nearly the entire western seaboard by itself! Large seaports contribute enormously to GDP. 
But as I said, California is a dubious football market. They can barely hang onto their pro teams, and outside of USC and the Rose Bowl there is no major college football presence. 
ESPN would love to get California eyes and dollars, but unless USC becomes a perennial power again, it's not going to happen.

3 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

The BEA bundled the states into regions, not me. I recommend sending them a strongly worded letter, and remind them that your taxes pay their salaries.

The original comment was that the southeast is a poor region with a small population. It's not.
Bundle it however you want. The states comprising the SEC - including Texas and Oklahoma - are responsible for more than, what, 25% of GDP? And over 30% of the population?

i have no problem with how they bundled them.  of course, i wouldn't use a dataset that bundled north carolina and virginia as the third and fourth largest gdp states in the group to try and say that the SEC should be targeted because of its economic prosperity.  actually, i probably wouldn't use its arbitrary bundling to make any point.  but if i did, i would make sure that my conclusions that i espoused publicly were actually supported by the data i cited. 

On 1/17/2022 at 1:51 PM, Disco Missile said:

California is nearly the entire western seaboard by itself! Large seaports contribute enormously to GDP. 
But as I said, California is a dubious football market. They can barely hang onto their pro teams, and outside of USC and the Rose Bowl there is no major college football presence. 
ESPN would love to get California eyes and dollars, but unless USC becomes a perennial power again, it's not going to happen.

And yet the state produces some of the most talented high school players.   CA is full of plenty of talent and fans that give a shit.  But the difference is they have options.  When Texas sucked in the 90s, the fans were not exactly packing it in and wearing orange.   

On 1/17/2022 at 1:51 PM, Disco Missile said:

I made the comment that the southeast is a sparsely populated, poor region. Although I was overbroad in that parts of Tennessee, Florida and Georgia have done well (and I guess you’re lumping Texas in there), my point stands.  

ESPN has let CFB become a regional sport, with the center of power in Alabama, with the surrounding states of Mississippi, La, Arkansas, and rural Fla, Ga, and TN rounding it out. Those are poor, sparsely populated areas. Don’t point at Miami or Orlando or Atlanta as centers of CFB rabid fandom. They’re not. They’re the same type of large metro areas that don’t care, like Los Angeles, Boston, or Austin for that matter. Florida as a whole doesn’t care any more about CFB than CA does. 

CFB is becoming a niche sport, with its poster fans being hicks from backwoods places in the SE. (hmmm—what program in Texas resembles that description?). That’s not good for the sport. 

If Mouse would pump up the story lines of the P12 as much as it does the SECX3, they’d have a sustainable fan base in plenty of areas in the west. But they don’t. So we have what we have. A niche sport, with a 4-team invitational, that most areas of the country have stopped caring about. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nivek said:

And yet the state produces some of the most talented high school players.   CA is full of plenty of talent and fans that give a shit.  But the difference is they have options.  When Texas sucked in the 90s, the fans were not exactly packing it in and wearing orange.   

They do produce lots of talent, and still have a generally apathetic football fan base.  The Southeast is still the epicenter of CFB talent. That there are so many things to do in Ca. as opposed to the (blue-collar) Southeast also factors in to why.

So we've moved from "it's the same teams over and over" to an economic breakdown of the United States GDP as the reason for apathy and boredom with college football. People are literally talking about the BEA.

This site is something else.

6 hours ago, nnm said:

I made the comment that the southeast is a sparsely populated, poor region. Although I was overbroad in that parts of Tennessee, Florida and Georgia have done well (and I guess you’re lumping Texas in there), my point stands.  

ESPN has let CFB become a regional sport, with the center of power in Alabama, with the surrounding states of Mississippi, La, Arkansas, and rural Fla, Ga, and TN rounding it out. Those are poor, sparsely populated areas. Don’t point at Miami or Orlando or Atlanta as centers of CFB rabid fandom. They’re not. They’re the same type of large metro areas that don’t care, like Los Angeles, Boston, or Austin for that matter. Florida as a whole doesn’t care any more about CFB than CA does. 

CFB is becoming a niche sport, with its poster fans being hicks from backwoods places in the SE. (hmmm—what program in Texas resembles that description?). That’s not good for the sport. 

If Mouse would pump up the story lines of the P12 as much as it does the SECX3, they’d have a sustainable fan base in plenty of areas in the west. But they don’t. So we have what we have. A niche sport, with a 4-team invitational, that most areas of the country have stopped caring about. 

Wrong.  Atlanta and Orlando (and Birmingham and Austin) are among the best markets in the country for college football.  Houston and Dallas are very good as well.