Washington Football Team's Railing Collapses and Fans Fall On Field

Vic Mackey

31 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

That’s pretty badass by Hurts actually. That stadium seems shitty tho. 

Their nickname is pretty shitty.

Redskins may have been offensive, but it was not shitty.

When I first read this, I thought it said "ratings" collapse and fans fall on field.  Given their season, that would be fairly accurate as well.

Yeah, he handled that really well.  Didn't add to a panic, helped folks up, and stuck around for some photos.  Kinda weird that you almost receive head trauma as a fan, and your first instinct is "Hey, I should grab a selfie with this guy before my blood clot starts"...but NFL fans gonna NFL fan.  I don't know this QB but seemed like a good guy under pressure.  I still have zero fucking clue what fascination y'all have with attending NFL games, but stay safe out there...

PHILADELPHIA -- Four of the individuals who fell as a result of a railing collapse at FedEx Field Sunday -- all of whom say they suffered injuries from the incident, most of them minor -- refuted a statement by the Washington Football Team suggesting they were offered on-site medical evaluation.

"They didn't ask if anyone was hurt, and they sure as hell didn't ask if anybody needed medical attention," said Andrew Collins, 26, of Brooklawn, New Jersey. "The only thing the staff said to us was to get the 'F' off the field."

A railing on the side of the tunnel leading to the visiting locker room at FedEx Field collapsed just as Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts was exiting following Philadelphia's 20-16 win. Multiple videos show a group of about eight fans falling approximately six feet to the ground.

Hurts sidestepped the falling fans and wasn't hit. He helped one individual up and asked several of them if they were OK while posing for pictures.

Washington released a statement Sunday evening, stating, "To our knowledge, everyone involved was offered onsite medical evaluation and left the stadium of their own accord. We're very glad no one appears to have been seriously injured. The safety of our fans and guests is of the utmost importance and we are looking into what occurred."

Mike Naimoli, a 26-year-old from Sicklerville, New Jersey, called that statement "completely incorrect," saying that there was no medical assistance offered. Instead, they were told, "'Everybody get the 'F' off the field,' and [they] quickly grabbed us away from Jalen and shooed us up into the stands," he said.

Naimoli and his fiancée, 24-year-old Morgan French, also of Sicklerville, drove to the game with Collins and his girlfriend, 22-year-old Marissa Santarlasci.

Naimoli, who is seen on the video in the green Hurts jersey, said he began experiencing neck and arm pain, as well as a tingling sensation in the hand that he said got trapped underneath the barricade, shortly after the incident. He went to the Inspira Medical Center in Mullica Hill, New Jersey, Sunday evening to get checked out, and was fitted with a neck brace as he waited in the emergency room, he said. When he was discharged after 5:30 a.m. Monday morning, he was diagnosed with a cervical strain and a head injury along with elbow and knee contusions, documents show.

Collins said he was experiencing lower back pain and a pulled groin Monday, while Santarlasci and French said they suffered substantial leg bruising.

"I was the last person to fall," said French, who has a bruise that runs from the top of one hip bone down to her knee to go with bruises on both shins. "I was on top of everyone so I quickly jumped up, and the security guard literally pulled me up by my two arms and got me off the field. I didn't have time to process. I was more so in shock."

One Washington team official said the area where the fans congregated was for disabled people and designed for wheelchair access, and that the railing is not load-bearing and is therefore not designed to withstand hundreds of pounds leaning into it. The group contends, however, that they were granted access to the area by a member of stadium security, and that there was no signage indicating it was a restricted area.

"The security guard at the bottom, we [asked] him, 'Can we go over there?' And he was like, 'Yeah," Naimoli said. "If Washington Football Team wants to come out and say that the area is restricted, there was no documentation of that at all. The one security guard that was right in front of that area swept us in there and was like, 'OK, go ahead over to the tunnel.'"

NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy, in an email, said: "We are reviewing the matter with the club to understand what happened and to ensure it does not happen again."

And now all those fans are injured...

15 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

And now all those fans are injured...

Of course they are, wouldn't you be? A 6 foot fall will do some damage, bruising for sure, and of course, don't forget the mental anguish. They can NEVER get near a rail again for fear of it collapsing.

Most of all, especially to get some money from dirty dan.

On 1/3/2022 at 2:20 AM, bullet said:

Their nickname is pretty shitty.

Redskins may have been offensive, but it was not shitty.

When I first read this, I thought it said "ratings" collapse and fans fall on field.  Given their season, that would be fairly accurate as well.

I like the "Washington Football Team" moniker and I think it could be a unique and different calling card. Just calling a team by the name of its city has a long history in pro sports, just not here.  

It is almost certainly better than whatever the team will come up with to replace it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2022 at 1:58 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

It is almost certainly better than whatever the team will come up with to replace it. 

Yeah no shit. I almost feel like it is a blessing Snyder fucked up the name change so much that we got stuck with "Washington Football Team" for two seasons.

Anyway first we have teams bringing their own benches soon we will have fans bringing their own railings. What a shitty organization. After 20+ years I am just kind of used to my team being the worst in pro sports though. I know they may not have the worst record on the field in the league since 2000 but when combined with all the bullshit off the field I don't think anybody else can really compare.

• Like 1