USMNT 2022

Napoleon

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

He's been at La Masia since 2018 it looks like. Not sure how that works. 

HOW IT WORKS:

1) Dual citizenship (2nd passport being EU passport)

or

2) Parents move to Barcelona for work and then he enrolls in La Masia after a successful tryout.

(Parents can’t move solely/initially for the kid’s soccer future.)

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Fantastic. To be fair - I missed this set piece. Granted I've seen worse shots from that distance.  

I enjoy Watke's work so much.

He's got a great eye for the second thing. He just cracks me up. He stumbled a bit on his delivery, but I still really enjoyed it.

Regarding CP10: I would be interested in seeing some practice footage of his set pieces, because I imagine letting him take them at this point in the season against a lesser opponent is to get some footage of successes in case Pep wants to sell him this summer. He had two good corners against Canada (Weston's header on goal and the other fluffed one where Richards? went too far toward the goal before trying to come back and head the ball.)... but I've never seen him take a good set piece toward the goal that wasn't a PK. (He's good at PKs.)

CP10 (finally) looked good in Tuchel's system but it wasn't in the winger spot - he primarily played as a natural 10 and was effective in doing so. When he wasn't in the 10, he did play out on the left wing with him and Havertz switching back and forth.

Having a natural 10 isn't something I've seen much from Tuchel - usually it's two inverted wingers stepping on each other's toes in the middle of the pitch with the 9 yelling at them for their incompetence. This time it was a 10 with two strikers underneath. 

I don't know if this is a sign of things to come but for the first time in a long time, there are numerous reports giving CP10 praise for his performance. Hopefully Tuchel gives this look another chance.

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Although “balón” is correct, and really is the best word for it, I would use “pelota” because I learned my castellano (“español”) in Argentina. 

There may be some Gio sightings at Austin FC matches this summer. 

This sucks, but initial (non-medically trained) reaction is that it ain’t good and he’ll be out 9-12 months and won’t be back to August 2021 Gio until at least 15-18 months from now. 🤞

If it’s his hammy again… maybe slightly sooner, but it would raise the question of whether he will ever be on the same trajectory as he was before, or if he will now have a lower ceiling. 😣

After a bit of sleuthing 🕵️, I found a highly informative article on the Soccer By Ives site that include a couple of tweeted videos showing when they believe he first injured himself and then again, when they think that he aggravated the injury a bit later. 

It appears to be a hamstring injury and not a knee injury. 

LINK: https://sbisoccer.com/2022/02/gio-reyna-leaves-dortmund-romp-with-leg-injury

Obviously terrible for him. For the NT - it might be a blessing in disguise as we won't have to worry about trying to reintegrate him in a short window before the WC (assuming we make it). 

Assuming it’s just hamstring only. Give him off till August and is hopefully ready next year.

Thinking towards Azteca, any reason Pefok doesn’t start up top for us in Azteca? I realize it’s Gregg, but with the speed outside and countering ability I can’t think of a single reason.

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Assuming it’s just hamstring only. Give him off till August and is hopefully ready next year.

Thinking towards Azteca, any reason Pefok doesn’t start up top for us in Azteca? I realize it’s Gregg, but with the speed outside and countering ability I can’t think of a single reason.

I’m thinking that Gio was dying to play a qualifier in the Azteca. 

This may be his only shot, because no qualifiers for 2026 and then who knows the setup for the 48 team 2030 World Cup. Maybe some tournament replaces qualifying as we’ve known it. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, shnsajax said:

You answered your own question. Looking forward to Zardes starting in Azteca!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Yeah, it's Gergg, so I wouldn't expect our best players out there.

Pefok just hit 20 goals on the season, when he doesn't get a call up, it will be criminal. BTW, some of our fans have the hottest of takes (the rebuttal is gold though)

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Totally forgot it's a late fall WC. 

2 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

two weeks supposedly

Yeah but I was told "see you in 2023" by that dick-cheese on Twitter.

He was probably crying because - he's 19 - he's an emotional 19 at that - he was worried it was worse. 

Either way I doubt they rush him back. Hopefully it doesn't become a lingering issue. 

Yeah but I was told "see you in 2023" by that dick-cheese on Twitter.
He was probably crying because - he's 19 - he's an emotional 19 at that - he was worried it was worse. 
Either way I doubt they rush him back. Hopefully it doesn't become a lingering issue. 

They are also calling this a thigh injury so hopefully thr hamstring is ok.
  • Hook 'Em 2