USMNT 2022

Napoleon

17 minutes ago, alincoln said:

It's not difficult to envision a very stressful finish if you plot out some negative yet very possible results.

Canada 25 (@ Costa Rica; Jamaica; @ Panama)

USMNT 21 (@ Mexico; Panama; @ Costa Rica)

Mexico 21 (USA; @ Honduras; El Salvador)

Panama 17 (Honduras; @ USA; Canada)

Costa Rica 16 (Canada; @ El Sal; USMNT)

Matchday 12

Costa Rica 1 Canada 1 (This is arguably the most important non-USA game in the next cycle.  CR really needs at least a point here.)

Mexico 2 USA 1 (Most likely result IMO.  Draw is a great result for USA)

Panama 3 Honduras 0 (Most likely result IMO.  Honduras is done)

Standings after Matchday 12

Canada 26

Mexico 24

USA 21

Panama 20

Costa Rica 17

Matchday 13

Canada 3 Jamaica 1 (Most likely result IMO.  Jamaica is done.)

USA 1 Panama 1 (This is the most important game of the next cycle.  A USA win clinches at least 4th.)

Mexico 2 Honduras 1 (Most likely result IMO)

Costa Rica 2 El Sal 1 (Most likely result IMO but it is at El Sal.  Obviously a must win for CR)

Standings after Matchday 13

Canada 29 (CLINCHED TOP 3)

Mexico 27 (CLINCHED TOP 3)

USA 22

Panama 21

Costa Rica 20

Matchday 14

Panama 1 Canada 0 (Canada will already be through while Panama while be at home potentially playing for WC qualification)

Costa Rica 2 USA 1 (USA has never won here but we may need at least a draw)

Mexico 4 El Sal 1 (Very likely entirely irrelevant)

FINAL STANDINGS

Mexico 30

Canada 29

Panama 24

Costa Rica 23

USA 22

satyanash… is that you?

What are you doing over here in a soccer thread?

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

It's not difficult to envision a very stressful finish if you plot out some negative yet very possible results.

Canada 25 (@ Costa Rica; Jamaica; @ Panama)

USMNT 21 (@ Mexico; Panama; @ Costa Rica)

Mexico 21 (USA; @ Honduras; El Salvador)

Panama 17 (Honduras; @ USA; Canada)

Costa Rica 16 (Canada; @ El Sal; USMNT)

Matchday 12

Costa Rica 1 Canada 1 (This is arguably the most important non-USA game in the next cycle.  CR really needs at least a point here.)

Mexico 2 USA 1 (Most likely result IMO.  Draw is a great result for USA)

Panama 3 Honduras 0 (Most likely result IMO.  Honduras is done)

Standings after Matchday 12

Canada 26

Mexico 24

USA 21

Panama 20

Costa Rica 17

Matchday 13

Canada 3 Jamaica 1 (Most likely result IMO.  Jamaica is done.)

USA 1 Panama 1 (This is the most important game of the next cycle.  A USA win clinches at least 4th.)

Mexico 2 Honduras 1 (Most likely result IMO)

Costa Rica 2 El Sal 1 (Most likely result IMO but it is at El Sal.  Obviously a must win for CR)

Standings after Matchday 13

USA 22

Panama 21

Costa Rica 20

Matchday 14

Panama 1 Canada 0 (Canada will already be through while Panama while be at home potentially playing for WC qualification)

FINAL STANDINGS

Mexico 30

Canada 29

Panama 24

Costa Rica 23

USA 22

DON'T YOU PUT THAT EVIL ON ME RICKY BOBBY! GIF - RICKY BOBBY - Discover &  Share GIFs | Movie quotes funny, Movie quotes, Ricky bobby

Edited by kingkoopa6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

Matchday 13

Most likely result of that game is a draw IMHO. 

So if we want to go down this road, the standings after 13 are:

USA 22

Panama 21

Costa Rica 18

Now the next matchday:

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

Matchday 14

Gives us this:

FINAL STANDINGS

Mexico 30

Canada 29

Panama 24

USA 22

Costa Rica 22

USA advances on goal differential to the playoff - and that's after getting only one point in three matches. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

He whiffed on the strikers after Pepi (hopefully will be Pefok and Dike) and I’d prefer Cannon to Scally.  But otherwise it’s pretty much on.  I guess Richards and Acosta are questionable. 

No Lleget, Roldan, Yueill or Armas so that’s good. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

…No Lleget, Roldan, Yueill or Armas so that’s good. 

If Armas doesn’t get hurt before the 2002 World Cup, the USA doesn’t make it out of the group. 

He was that team’s 2021 Lletget. The guy who shouldn’t have even been on the squad, but was basically first on the lineup card.

PS- Those of us WITHOUT ESPN+ would appreciate it if someone posted the roster. Thanks

Edited by Napoleon

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If Armas doesn’t get hurt before the 2002 World Cup, the USA doesn’t make it out of the group. 

He was that team’s 2021 Lletget. The guy who shouldn’t have even been on the squad, but was basically first on the lineup card.

PS- Those of us WITHOUT ESPN+ would appreciate it if someone posted the roster. Thanks

Sure I'll post it lol. The roster wasn't really the point. It was that he's projecting a World Cup roster and saying we've basically made it before the deal has been sealed. It's bad juju.

Goalkeeper Tiers

Full-Back Tiers

Center-Back Tiers

Midfield Tiers

Winger Tiers

Striker Tiers

And finally... our projected 23-man squad in full (and final thoughts)

• Goalkeepers (3): Zack Steffen, Matt Turner, Ethan Horvath

• Defenders (8): Walker Zimmerman, Miles Robinson, Antonee Robinson, Sergino Dest, Chris Richards, John Brooks, DeAndre Yedlin, Joe Scally

• Midfielders (5): Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie, Yunus Musah, Luca de la Torre, Kellyn Acosta

• Winger (4): Christian Pulisic, Giovanni Reyna, Tim Weah, Brenden Aaronson

• Striker (3): Ricardo Pepi, Gyasi Zardes, Josh Sargent 

Reyna to me falls somewhere between a winger and mid. I think he'd be better served sharing PT with the midfielders as we already have a lot of mouths to feed on the wing. I also think Weah is close to being in the clear starter tier opposite Pulisic. 

Agree on what was said above about strikers. I like Pefok and Dike to round it out behind Pepi. Also agree Cannon > Scally. And I get Brooks is a vet but he really hasn't done a lot for us as of late and has had some pretty bad moments when he has played. 

But, you know - let's worry about this next window first before we worry about who makes the potential trip.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I am an idiot.  Meant Nipple.  

24 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I am an idiot.  Meant Nipple.  

Well Armas is still loved in the US Soccer community and has recently been a colossal failure at NYRB & FC Toronto, so he seems like the kind of guy that Gregg would want to bring onboard. 

Let him coach a U12 club on Long Island. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

An American named Duane Holmes scored in the FA Cup game I was watching this morning - Huddersfield.  I have no idea how good he is relative to who gets called in for the US, but maybe he should get a shot.

Gregg doesn’t like him. 

He should have been playing instead of Lletget over the last 24 months, but after seeing him early on, Gregg has chosen to use Lletget & Roldan instead. 

Soccer podcasts include him in their Americans Abroad game reviews because they know that he is better than the MLS dreck that Gregg loves. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Gregg doesn’t like him. 

He should have been playing instead of Lletget over the last 24 months, but after seeing him early on, Gregg has chosen to use Lletget & Roldan instead. 

Soccer podcasts include him in their Americans Abroad game reviews because they know that he is better than the MLS dreck that Gregg loves. 

I mean, he and Arreola are basically the same player and I would take the Nipple over him. But this is basically a shortest midget contest for the Nats and we shouldn't be talking about either of them. 

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Ok so maybe they only win 3-1. but seriously they don’t struggle. 

My brother has a master’s from the University of Nottingham. I’m quite familiar with where it lies on the family globe. 

It may surprise you to learn that it isn’t located in the tropics. 

A 3pm match in Panama City would be quite entertaining to watch.  9° above the Equator in 83% humidity… The Redcoats would be dropping like cockroaches sprayed with RAID. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

My brother has a master’s from the University of Nottingham. I’m quite familiar with where it lies on the family globe. 

It may surprise you to learn that it isn’t located in the tropics. 

A 3pm match in Panama City would be quite entertaining to watch.  9° above the Equator in 83% humidity… The Redcoats would be dropping like cockroaches sprayed with RAID. 

Considering that Nottingham Forest team headquarters is about 5 miles away from the University of Nottingham, is your brother a fan of the Tricky Trees?

18 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Considering that Nottingham Forest team headquarters is about 5 miles away from the University of Nottingham, is your brother a fan of the Tricky Trees?

He was there around the time of their greatest glory years, or right afterwards and he got me a N.F.F.C. red sweatshirt (like 100% polyester, so I never wore it) sometime in the ‘90s. 

Only time I remember wearing that thing was around late 2006/ start of 2007 when I believe that Nottingham & Chelsea had an FA Cup tie and I was playing barefoot soccer days before the match at someone’s house in LA knowing that Steve “Jonesy” Jones of the Sex Pistols, and a rabid Chelsea fan, was going to be playing that day/night as well. (Jonesy always played in that group. Woody Harrelson too, but he didn’t have an English club of his own.)

SIDE NOTE:

I’m fully aware that names were dropped, but I have dropped them before (same story) and limited the number of names dropped to the pertinent name +1.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Napoleon said:

Corner kicks?

Shot from distance?

Service from distance?

Hit a really nice free kick from not too far outside the box that wound up dangerous and a pretty routine corner that you wouldn't complain about. He was then taken off corners and Malang Sarr (I think) played a couple poor ones into the box. 

He certainly has the ability to deliver good balls - just doesn't seem that consistent yet.

Lively game from him today in general. Made a lot of good decisions.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1