USMNT 2022

Napoleon

Josh Sargent not on US roster for World Cup qualifiers

Norwich says forward Josh Sargent will not be on the U.S. roster for the Americans' final three World Cup qualifiers.

The team made the unusual annoucement Wednesday, a day before U.S. coach Gregg Berhalter is scheduled to issue his roster.

"Josh Sargent has been named on the reserve list for the USA’s upcoming World Cup qualifying matches," Norwich tweeted.

A 22-year-old from O'Fallon, Missouri, Sargent was on the roster for the first three qualifiers in September, starting at El Salvador and Honduras, and appearing as a second-half substitute against Canada.

He has four goals in 28 matches in his first season with Norwich, including two in 25 Premier League games. Sargent scored twice in the League Cup against Bournemouth on Aug. 24 and twice against Watford in the league on Jan. 21.

Seeking to return to the World Cup after missing the 2018 tournament, the U.S. plays at Mexico on March 24, hosts Panama three days later and closes at Costa Rica on March 30.

Canada leads North and Central America and the Caribbean with 25 points and the U.S. is second with 21, ahead of Mexico on goal difference. Panama is fourth with 17 points, followed by Costa Rica with 16 and El Salvador with nine.

The top three nations earn berths for this year’s tournament in Qatar and the fourth-place nation advances to a playoff in June against the Oceania champion, likely New Zealand.

Jamaica and Honduras have been eliminated.

https://news.yahoo.com/josh-sargent-not-us-roster-151742907.html

9 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

It's really hard to stress how world class this run and finish is (great pass too, obviously). I mean he's been a top player for some time but finishing like this has never been his strong suit. It was so great to see live (for a couple reasons). 

It sucks that Weston is going to be out but maybe we can get something out of Gio in the midfield. If Pulisic isn't kept on the wing where he should be I'm going to punch a hole through my screen. 

THAT SAID - with Chelsea he does play as part of a free flowing offense that sees him sometimes drift towards the center of the pitch while the "9" (Havertz today) may take up a spot on the side. 

Granted, we aren't Chelsea. I don't want stuff like that giving Greg any ideas.

If Gregg is going to play a free flowing front three in any of the games, the Ferreira is going to start at the #9 in that match. 

Jesús has been playing that kind of intermingling front three for 2+ years and there is a pretty open line of communication between Gregg’s coaching staff and the FC Dallas staff. 

After watching Arriola start on the right wing in Dallas’ opener and serve in a cross from the left wing for the assist on Dallas’ only goal, I think that a fluid front is something that Gregg may whip out in at least one match. 

Supposedly Roldan has been playing well for Seattle.

We know that Lletgett has NOT been playing well... even as recently as last night.

Brooks is a lazy sack of shit and I'm not sure if it is just Berhalter's opinion or the entire team's opinion. A lazy CD who doesn't track back is not good for team moral.

Happy to see Pefok in the squad. I do not understand why he wouldn't be trotted out late against Mexico to just sit around and be 6'4" in the box and head in bangers over tired 6'0" and shorter Mexicans. Start Pepi or Jesús and have them press their asses off, but then if we need a goal, throw in Pefok late and just let him be a target forward on crosses & set pieces.

Possibility that we see Reyna at the #8 rather than on the wing. We don't need 6 wingers for 2 spot. We have 6 1/2 midfielders (Sands is 1/2) for 3 spots, so who knows?

Glad that Luca De La Torre (Luke from the Tower) got action in the Twin Cities, because he is now a vital part of the USMNT midfield. That said, his final touch kind of sucked in the cold. He would turn and run forward, get in a dangerous position, and then turn the ball over near the final 18 yards. That's better than turning it over in our defensive third, so I will give him that. I like him, but he needs to be better with his final decision/touch. Hopefully in better weather that happens.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Ah yes, Paul Arriola and Jordan Morris over Josh Sargent. FUCKING BULLSHIT!

And what has happened to Konrad de la Fuente?

I’ve watched two of FC Dallas’ first three matches (#1 & #3). I would absolutely take the Paul Arriola that I have seen play for FC Dallas over Josh Sargent. 

I would take Jordan Morris over Josh Sargent. 

I believe that if Seattle or Dallas had to win a game now, they would start Jordan or Paul over Josh.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

We know that Lletgett has NOT been playing well... even as recently as last night.

Brooks is a lazy sack of shit and I'm not sure if it is just Berhalter's opinion or the entire team's opinion. A lazy CD who doesn't track back is not good for team moral.

Happy to see Pefok in the squad. I do not understand why he wouldn't be trotted out late against Mexico to just sit around and be 6'4" in the box and head in bangers over tired 6'0" and shorter Mexicans. Start Pepi or Jesús and have them press their asses off, but then if we need a goal, throw in Pefok late and just let him be a target forward on crosses & set pieces.

Possibility that we see Reyna at the #8 rather than on the wing. We don't need 6 wingers for 2 spot. We have 6 1/2 midfielders (Sands is 1/2) for 3 spots, so who knows?

Glad that Luca De La Torre (Luke from the Tower) got action in the Twin Cities, because he is now a vital part of the USMNT midfield. That said, his final touch kind of sucked in the cold. He would turn and run forward, get in a dangerous position, and then turn the ball over near the final 18 yards. That's better than turning it over in our defensive third, so I will give him that. I like him, but he needs to be better with his final decision/touch. Hopefully in better weather that happens.

Reyna isn't really a winger. I don't know why we list him as a forward - he's a mid at this point. Sure - he can play forward but like you said we don't need more wingers - we need a McKennie replacement and he should be capable. 

14 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Konrad has been criticized by his team for his lackadaisical attitude in practice and immaturity generally. Not a good thing when team management publicizes those issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Lletgett has actually been playing well this year...until last night; glad no call up.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Has Sargent showed you something that everyone else is missing? We have plenty of strikers who can't put the ball in the back of the net. Do we really need another?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

Has Sargent showed you something that everyone else is missing? We have plenty of strikers who can't put the ball in the back of the net. Do we really need another?

I wouldn't play Sargent at striker. I'd play him as a winger. 

Sargent is the one attacker that I can count on to play defense. People forget how his defense saved a goal in the Nations League which led to the US making the final and owning L Tri. 

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I wouldn't play Sargent at striker. I'd play him as a winger. 

Sargent is the one attacker that I can count on to play defense. People forget how his defense saved a goal in the Nations League which led to the US making the final and owning L Tri. 

You are going to replace Weah or Pulisic? Or just have him in the squad as a backup winger?

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'd have Sargent as an initial backup, but you know how WCQ goes, it's more of a platoon. 

Winger is by far the deepest and best position on the team (and the top 3 guys are all healthy right now). Maybe Sargent works better there but he isn't a good enough winger to play meaningful games for us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

PRAISE JESÚS!!

We have out starter for the México match!

(I was thinking that Jesús would start and if we are tied or ahead, Pepi comes in and if we are behind, Mt. Pefok comes in and our wingers try to bank shots into the goal off of Pefok’s head.)

Pregame of the Seattle game just said Aaronson is in.

Lalas and Holden brought up the ppint that the US might play its B team against Mexico to go all in against Panama.  Not sure I agree with this other than sitting a couple of the players on yellow - specifically Adams.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Pregame of the Seattle game just said Aaronson is in.

Lalas and Holden brought up the ppint that the US might play its B team against Mexico to go all in against Panama.  Not sure I agree with this other than sitting a couple of the players on yellow - specifically Adams.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I am sure this has been discussed but I didn't see it on the past few pages, but how in the world is Pefok not the starter up top for USA. Pepi looked great in his debut but has not looked like that since. Pefok seems to be lighting it up. 

I get the idea of keeping someone in there to get comfortable and grow into the position but for me right now it would be Pefok. 

• Hook 'Em 1