Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread -- Every Time Jerrah Talks, an Angel Sheds Their Wings

Patrick Bateman

29 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Franchising a TE with the route tree above would be fucking idiotic. Schultz is a safety valve TE who ate because he played alongside two #1 WRs. If anything the loss of Amari means we're in even more need of a TE with gamebreaking traits to his game.  I'd rather go after Zach Ertz than keep Schultz.

22 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Franchising Shultz sounds like an idiotic plan.

we're $21 over the cap.  cut DLaw and we're right at the cap.  but we can't sign anyone.  if you want to keep gregory and schultz you have to cut cooper, restructure DLaw, and then work out the best way to sign both gregory and schultz.  

gregory in the open market is probably around 3/$40-45.  with the tag he'll be $20 / year.  schultz on the open market is 4/$50.  on the tag he's $10.  it's a simple game of numbers.

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

we're $21 over the cap.  cut DLaw and we're right at the cap.  but we can't sign anyone.  if you want to keep gregory and schultz you have to cut cooper, restructure DLaw, and then work out the best way to sign both gregory and schultz.  

gregory in the open market is probably around 3/$40-45.  with the tag he'll be $20 / year.  schultz on the open market is 4/$50.  on the tag he's $10.  it's a simple game of numbers.

I'm all for letting Schultz walk. We can find a much more affordable TE than him. He's not exactly Travis Kelce.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'm all for letting Schultz walk. We can find a much more affordable TE than him. He's not exactly Travis Kelce.

i'd be comfortable with rolling jarwin out there but he's not going to be healthy by the start of the season and there's a rumor he might miss most of the season. we rely on our TEs too much in both our run and pass schemes to start the season with JAGs.  

Edited by gsoda3

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Zeke was every bit worth it as the 4th overall pick for his first contract. If you go down the rabbit hole that the Cowboys could've had Jalen Ramsey/Derrick Henry 1/2 that year, then, yes, that would've been preferable. The stupid part was giving Zeke the raise/extension 18 months before we needed to and then having him to start showing wear-and-tear almost immediately after. Zeke was a huge part of 13-3 in his rookie year.

It's not just about being worth your contract value which I agree Zeke's elite years were, but a premium picks can't be done in 5 years which pretty much every RB is, or you going to find yourself picking in the top of the draft often.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

So let Schultz walk. He is not a game changer. He’s a liability blocking. Let him go (make the qualifying offer to get a compensatory pick).

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Zeke was every bit worth it as the 4th overall pick for his first contract. If you go down the rabbit hole that the Cowboys could've had Jalen Ramsey/Derrick Henry 1/2 that year, then, yes, that would've been preferable. The stupid part was giving Zeke the raise/extension 18 months before we needed to and then having him to start showing wear-and-tear almost immediately after. Zeke was a huge part of 13-3 in his rookie year.

If a team has no plans of signing their #4 pick (highest pick for the franchise since Troy Aikman) to an extention after their rookie contract then it pretty much makes them choosing said pick at #4 completely and totally illogical on its very face. Consequently, the #4 is too high a pick for a position such as RB with such diminishing returns regardless of how talented said RB is. 

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we can't all be as devoted to the bit as you.  what part do you not believe?

arguing that schultz will command $50MM on the open market and that we should franchise him. at his absolute best he’s a very average blocker and he can’t stretch the field. we still might franchise him but only because we have the worst GM in the league. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

So let Schultz walk. He is t a game changer. He’s a liability blocking. Let him go (make the qualifying offer to get a pick in return).

as bad as you think schultz is, if you let him walk you're starting the season with jeremy sprinkle, sean mckeon, and whoever you draft or pick up in FA worse than schultz.  combined they have 41 receptions in their career.  they'll be dak's safety valve.  and forget any 2 TE formations.  we know jarwin won't be back the first few games of the season and, if you believe the rumors, maybe the entire season.  you think it's bad with no amari, wait til we have no amari and one of these guys, possibly two, playing TE.

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

arguing that schultz will command $50MM on the open market and that we should franchise him. at his absolute best he’s a very average blocker and he can’t stretch the field. we still might franchise him but only because we have the worst GM in the league. 

4/$50 is what i've been reading the past month on schultz.  he's one of the best TEs in the market this offseason.  From a quick search of the analytics sites:

PFF has him at #2 FA TE, 4/$45

Sportrac has him at #5 TE overall in the league, not just FA, at 4/$50  

NBCsports has him as #1 FA TE, no estimate

And then the interviews with the columnists and talking heads, they're all saying the same thing.   So if those are the numbers, the franchise tag makes the most sense.  You're only paying him $10 or $11 for one year.

edited for emphasis.  i know, i was surprised too.

Edited by gsoda3

I like Shultz, but he's going to get paid way over actual value in free agency. There will probably be short term suitable veteran options in free agency with some experience and can perform a similar role. Shultz benefited from being in a fairly prolific offense where attention was directed towards more dangerous targets. Losing him and relying on Jarwin and whatever they draft as potential replacement is a bit of a risk, but I would rather sew up other positions that need strengthening. I'm more concerned about protecting the QB and opening holes for running backs and stopping the run than I am a dump-off TE that is pretty good in the red zone. You can make up for that in other ways. Draft a TE in the mid rounds that has some more dynamic playmaking potential and end up upgrading.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

There are a number of free agent TEs who could fill Schultz role for a lot less. 

I'd take anyone on this list for half the price of Schultz.

Screenshot_20220307-141705_Samsung Internet.jpg

i mean yeah i'd take uzomah or ertz for $5 million but that's not their market price.  they're looking for $8 or $9 per year for multiple years.  schultz on a franchise tag is $11 for one year.

22 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

as bad as you think schultz is, if you let him walk you're starting the season with jeremy sprinkle, sean mckeon, and whoever you draft or pick up in FA worse than schultz.  combined they have 41 receptions in their career.  they'll be dak's safety valve.  and forget any 2 TE formations.  we know jarwin won't be back the first few games of the season and, if you believe the rumors, maybe the entire season.  you think it's bad with no amari, wait til we have no amari and one of these guys, possibly two, playing TE.

So what? Schultz isn’t the difference between playing in round 1 and winning in round 1.

the money is more wisely spent trying to sign/pay DLmen.

They should have traded Amari when they still could. He was never going to be worth the price. He'll have a good year with another team in a different mix, but he'll go back to being schitzo and overpaid. Receivers in the draft seem to be plentiful these days, and more NFL ready than in the past. Get a younger one that will be cheap for a few years.

Let Gregory test the market. He may be signable at a better than expected cost, if not, he tends to miss half the season anyway, and it's a good year for edge rushers in the draft. 

Lawrence is too solid to not keep around, ditching him for nothing would be stupid. He shouldn't be over the hill for a few more years if he can stay reasonably healthy. Lose DLaw and bet on Gregory is a recipe for having to start over again from scratch in a shrinking window. Lawrence isn't Anthony Spencer, he's proven his value over a number of years. But the Cowboys tend to do the opposite of what they should, like they did with Spencer, and Jaylon Smith, and might do with Gregory.

Stop paying guys huge piles for one good year, thinking that's setting a long term trend of production. Learn from the damn mistakes. 

13 minutes ago, DougO said:

They should have traded Amari when they still could. He was never going to be worth the price. He'll have a good year with another team in a different mix, but he'll go back to being schitzo and overpaid. Receivers in the draft seem to be plentiful these days, and more NFL ready than in the past. Get a younger one that will be cheap for a few years.

Let Gregory test the market. He may be signable at a better than expected cost, if not, he tends to miss half the season anyway, and it's a good year for edge rushers in the draft. 

Lawrence is too solid to not keep around, ditching him for nothing would be stupid. He shouldn't be over the hill for a few more years if he can stay reasonably healthy. Lose DLaw and bet on Gregory is a recipe for having to start over again from scratch in a shrinking window. Lawrence isn't Anthony Spencer, he's proven his value over a number of years. But the Cowboys tend to do the opposite of what they should, like they did with Spencer, and Jaylon Smith, and might do with Gregory.

Stop paying guys huge piles for one good year, thinking that's setting a long term trend of production. Learn from the damn mistakes. 

I predict Dak will look like shit without Amari. I saw it happen before with Dak.

doesn’t matter, Dallas gave in to Dak’s obscene salary demands and here we are.

19 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

So what? Schultz isn’t the difference between playing in round 1 and winning in round 1.

i'd argue it's a 2 game difference in the win column.  you can't take away the team's TD receptions leader (amari tied him with 8 ), a key protector for dak in the pocket, and one of the lead blockers in our run game and expect it to be just a slight hiccup.  

Too bad zeke isn’t on the same contract as cooper. Amari is easy $16m cap space, cutting zeke costs $30m. Stupidity. Should have been extended. I’d love to keep Cooper, and draft two W/Rs to replace Gallup and Wilson. But they will cut cooper. And try to keep Gallup.

Schultz can walk. This team needs OL help more than anything. Need a center more than anything. Cut Zeurline today.

Restructure Tank and sign Armstrong. Gregory is almost same age as Tank, sucks against the run, gets hurt. He can go away. Draft a couple of DLs. Vanderesch needs to leave Texas.

I expect Jerry to announce he has traded for Calvin Ridley.

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

If a team has no plans of signing their #4 pick (highest pick for the franchise since Troy Aikman) to an extention after their rookie contract then it pretty much makes them choosing said pick at #4 completely and totally illogical on its very face. Consequently, the #4 is too high a pick for a position such as RB with such diminishing returns regardless of how talented said RB is. 

That all makes sense and I agree with it but the Cowboys got 3-4 years of All-Pro caliber production from Zeke.

• Hook 'Em 1

A year ago today everyone was looking forward to the return of Jarwin to put Schultz back in line (though I thought Schultz proved to be the better player already). Now the tables have turned and Schultz is being considered indispensable and a top free agent signing. Thing's don't always turn out as the consensus expects. 

If you really want a head-scratcher, the Browns just announced they were frachising Njoku, a talented guy who has been injury prone and never come close to living up to his potential. Tight ends are among the most mysterious positions in the NFL.

Zach Ertz is a free agent, and I've seen it written (for what that's worth) that he could be cheaper than they expect Schultz to be  signing for. I would take Ertz for a year or two in that case. If not, there are usually some decent stopgap options that would probably do pretty well in the Cowboys offense.

A year ago today everyone was looking forward to the return of Jarwin to put Schultz back in line (though I thought Schultz proved to be the better player already). Now the tables have turned and Schultz is being considered indispensable and a top free agent signing. Thing's don't always turn out as the consensus expects. 

If you really want a head-scratcher, the Browns just announced they were frachising Njoku, a talented guy who has been injury prone and never come close to living up to his potential. Tight ends are among the most mysterious positions in the NFL.
Zach Ertz is a free agent, and I've seen it written (for what that's worth) that he could be cheaper than they expect Schultz to be  signing for. I would take Ertz for a year or two in that case. If not, there are usually some decent stopgap options that would probably do pretty well in the Cowboys offense.

Evan Engram if he really is a tight end and not just a big receiver, would be awesome. He’s been suffering from a bad offense since he got into the league.

Im also confident teams can find hands tight ends mid to late in draft or off the scrap heap. Ertz is a gamebreaker. Schultz is a guy.

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

I predict Dak will look like shit without Amari. I saw it happen before with Dak.

Dak is not, nor will be, the reason "we are here".  We can't keep going on and on about this...Dak was paid market rate.  And will be a bargain by next year.  Plus they're talking about restructuring him to make more cap space.  They'll be fine with cap space IF they want it.  Now the moves they make may not make sense or work out.  But once again, we continue to be fooled by a "salary cap" that is nothing more than a suggestion.  When they want to make room under the cap, they can.

Dak is not, nor will be, the reason "we are here".  We can't keep going on and on about this...Dak was paid market rate.  And will be a bargain by next year.  Plus they're talking about restructuring him to make more cap space.  They'll be fine with cap space IF they want it.  Now the moves they make may not make sense or work out.  But once again, we continue to be fooled by a "salary cap" that is nothing more than a suggestion.  When they want to make room under the cap, they can.

At some point you come to a day of reckoning because of age, and Cowboys do a lousy job playing the supplemental picks game. One way the Rams do well with their system is how they spin some players into supplemental picks. Playing the cap game requires being a stone cold killer, knowing the limits of each player, and not fucking up the structure. Tank is 30 and injury prone in the back; they I’ll restructure. If they restructure zeke they are smokin dope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At some point you come to a day of reckoning because of age, and Cowboys do a lousy job playing the supplemental picks game. One way the Rams do well with their system is how they spin some players into supplemental picks. Playing the cap game requires being a stone cold killer, knowing the limits of each player, and not fucking up the structure. Tank is 30 and injury prone in the back; they I’ll restructure. If they restructure zeke they are smokin dope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Dak's salary is only obscene because Stephen has no ability to forecast the market.  Had he signed Dak a year or 2 earlier for 25 to even 35mil per Dak would've been a bargain. But Stephen waits and then proceeds to lose every negotiation he enters and ends up paying more than the players initially even asked for.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Evan Engram if he really is a tight end and not just a big receiver, would be awesome. He’s been suffering from a bad offense since he got into the league.

Im also confident teams can find hands tight ends mid to late in draft or off the scrap heap. Ertz is a gamebreaker. Schultz is a guy.

Engram would be good if he can stay healthy and 100 percent, and get a journeyman blocking type as well. There are several out there that might be suitable, like Gesicki, Hurst, OJ Howard. Blake Bell is out there for a purely blocking type. Durham Smythe, from Belton, TX, is a great blocking TE that is coming off of his best receiving year with 34 catches with the Dolphins. There are a bunch of guys at various levels and price points that could help fill the gaps.

They definitely need to draft a TE at some point this year regardless. But the problem is it tends to take rookie TEs a full season or more to really get acclimated before they become steadily productive in the NFL. I would be glad if they retained Schultz at a reasonable price tag, but it seems less than likely. 

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Franchising a TE with the route tree above would be fucking idiotic. Schultz is a safety valve TE who ate because he played alongside two #1 WRs. If anything the loss of Amari means we're in even more need of a TE with gamebreaking traits to his game.  I'd rather go after Zach Ertz than keep Schultz.

I 100% agree except without necessarily Ertz.  But yea, it's crazy they want to keep Schultz, who is basically like old man Witten (not ancient Witten).  Browns are probably cutting Hooper, there is Ertz, there's guys like Gerald Everett and Mo Alie-Cox and possibly guys like Evan Engram, OJ Howard or Gesicki.  Go sign one for half the price it'll take Schultz.  But they're going to sign Dalton for 5 digits, which is incredibly reckless.  Schultz is a nice TE, I'm not saying anything against him, but he's not an elite mismatch and we're going to overspend.  smh.  I wouldn't mind restructuring DLaw, but when he plays, he's still very good to elite RE.  If we're going cut Amare, then go get someone in the draft or UFA, let Schultz go and save our money for DLaw and Gregory.  

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i'd argue it's a 2 game difference in the win column.  you can't take away the team's TD receptions leader (amari tied him with 8 ), a key protector for dak in the pocket, and one of the lead blockers in our run game and expect it to be just a slight hiccup.  

I’d argue that you’re smoking crack. 

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Dak's salary is only obscene because Stephen has no ability to forecast the market.  Had he signed Dak a year or 2 earlier for 25 to even 35mil per Dak would've been a bargain. But Stephen waits and then proceeds to lose every negotiation he enters and ends up paying more than the players initially even asked for.  

This is correct and Dak's contract isn't obscene.  By next year, they'll be like 6-8 QBs paid more than him and others comparable.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Engram would be good if he can stay healthy and 100 percent, and get a journeyman blocking type as well. There are several out there that might be suitable, like Gesicki, Hurst, OJ Howard. Blake Bell is out there for a purely blocking type. Durham Smythe, from Belton, TX, is a great blocking TE that is coming off of his best receiving year with 34 catches with the Dolphins. There are a bunch of guys at various levels and price points that could help fill the gaps.

They definitely need to draft a TE at some point this year regardless. But the problem is it tends to take rookie TEs a full season or more to really get acclimated before they become steadily productive in the NFL. I would be glad if they retained Schultz at a reasonable price tag, but it seems less than likely. 

This is correct.  Sign someone for like a 2/12 deal.  I love Bell for blocking, we should have never let him go.

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is correct.  A top 5-10 pick should be on your team playing at a high level for 7-8 years.  RBs aren't a position with long shelf lives.... it's folly to draft a RB in the top half of the first and really in the first round now.  Anyone arguing otherwise, really doesn't understand the economics of football with a salary cap.  Carolina spent a top pick on McCaffery, who at his best is way better than Zeke and now are looking to unload him.  Almost every example the last decade has proven RBs in the 1st round are poor investments.... from Gurley to Zeke to McCaffery to Saquan.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

I’m pretty sure the same was said about this season, and Dallas is still being forced to cut a top 5 team player, maybe 2.

I suppose the plus side to franchising Schultz is that they are only committing to one year, then he's off the books. I'd still be taking my chances of replacing him cheaper and let him be a high floor low ceiling guy with a big price tag somewhere else. They need cap space to fill some more important needs if they actually want to contend, and not be in a bind in a couple of years when they are trying to extend Parsons and Diggs, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

He will. Amari leaving will change everything about the offense. Would much rather keep Coop and Gregory than DLaw. 

I'm really not sure how losing the fourth highest payed receiver who was 35th in receiving yards for a team who finished 12th in total receiving yards is really going to spell doom. There are much better ways for the Cowboys to fuck it up, like returning almost the entire coaching staff that was clearly out-coached, out-prepared, out-scouted and out-schemed on a disturbingly regular basis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DougO said:

I'm really not sure how losing the fourth highest payed receiver who was 35th in receiving yards for a team who finished 12th in total receiving yards is really going to spell doom. There are much better ways for the Cowboys to fuck it up, like returning almost the entire coaching staff that was clearly out-coached, out-prepared, out-scouted and out-schemed on a disturbingly regular basis.

Coaching combined with an average QB are why a clear top 10 talent was 35th in yards. Move him out and Dak will regress and the offense will stagnate. Watch. 

18 minutes ago, DougO said:

Did you miss the 2018 season?

Dak looked like dog shit without a bad ass at WR.

Edited by lilMAC25

Dak is gonna be the Cowboys qb, like it or not, for a good while, barring decapitation. So if he's not as in sync with Amari as he is with a scrub like Cedric Wilson with a breakout year, why keep the salary buster that's not helping Dak? 

I think it's interesting how Derek Carr's career has gone since the trade. Everybody was trying to run him out of the league in 2018, speculating for his replacement as Raiders qb of the future, because he clearly wasn't the answer. Maybe he's still not, but his production and stock has skyrocketed ever since they ditched Cooper. They also lost a first round WR in Ruggs who was just starting to show something when his career took a wrong turn. Carr's receivers aren't particularly notable, yet his qb rating and yards per attempt have taking a significant leap post-Coop. His top receiver is a small, slow white guy that was a 5th round pick, and some JAGs, plus Waller when he's not hurt. 

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

Dak is gonna be the Cowboys qb, like it or not, for a good while, barring decapitation. So if he's not as in sync with Amari as he is with a scrub like Cedric Wilson with a breakout year, why keep the salary buster that's not helping Dak? 

I think it's interesting how Derek Carr's career has gone since the trade. Everybody was trying to run him out of the league in 2018, speculating for his replacement as Raiders qb of the future, because he clearly wasn't the answer. Maybe he's still not, but his production and stock has skyrocketed ever since they ditched Cooper. They also lost a first round WR in Ruggs who was just starting to show something when his career took a wrong turn. Carr's receivers aren't particularly notable, yet his qb rating and yards per attempt have taking a significant leap post-Coop. His top receiver is a small, slow white guy that was a 5th round pick, and some JAGs, plus Waller when he's not hurt. 

Are you arguing he’s better without Coop?  Lolz. Their offense would be humming with him and Waller. He’s a better QB. 

To me the big difference there is having a good running game. Dak looked good when Zeke looked good and the O-line was opening holes to run through. Carr looked much better when they actually got a running back or two. It changes a lot of things.

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

I'm not arguing anything. I'm just presenting facts. 

Poorly portrayed facts. He’s got the second best TE in the game when he’s healthy.  Regardless you just made the case that Carr is a better QB than Dak, and I agree. Your post is tinged with Cooper hatred. “since they ditched Cooper”. 

I don’t think Cowboys will keep Amari. It wouldn’t surprise me to watch him resume a Top 10 WR season on another roster, while we struggle. It will be interesting to see if Dak or Moore - one of them - can navigate the offense without Cooper. Everything flows off of his route running. When it doesn’t work it’s generally poor play design or Dak inaccuracy. 

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Not so much a theory, but the reality of ever exploding player salaries in pro sports.

I'm talking more about the increase in QB salary relative to the cap.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1593808-the-impact-quarterback-inflation-has-on-the-nfl-salary-cap

This article is old AF, but recent numbers suggest the trend has only accelerated (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/quarterback/):

1		Matt Ryan	$48,662,500	23.32%
2		Aaron Rodgers	$46,664,157	22.11%
3		Kirk Cousins	$45,000,000	21.43%
4		Deshaun Watson	$40,400,000	19.06%
5		Ryan Tannehill	$38,600,000	18.29%

The way NFL teams are signing quarterbacks it appears they are banking on the league’s cap number to increase. This would be good and well except for the speed of quarterback inflation is outgrowing the increase in the salary cap.

Whether or not the NFL raises the salary cap in conjunction with the inflation remains to be seen. If it doesn’t, expect to see the salaries of non-quarterback players to plummet so that team’s can afford to field a roster.

Edited by TotallyLegit