Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread -- Every Time Jerrah Talks, an Angel Sheds Their Wings

Patrick Bateman

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

better than dalton schultz?

Kelce, Waller, everyone else. Kittle probably #3 but they don’t utilize him like they should. Schultz is a nice player that has deficiencies. Tagging him would be retarded. I’d ditch Tank before Cooper. 

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

we're $21 over the cap.  cut DLaw and we're right at the cap.  but we can't sign anyone.  if you want to keep gregory and schultz you have to cut cooper, restructure DLaw, and then work out the best way to sign both gregory and schultz.  

gregory in the open market is probably around 3/$40-45.  with the tag he'll be $20 / year.  schultz on the open market is 4/$50.  on the tag he's $10.  it's a simple game of numbers.

Uhm..... like half a dozen things you can do to adjust the cap..... here's the first thing.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Dak is gonna be the Cowboys qb, like it or not, for a good while, barring decapitation. So if he's not as in sync with Amari as he is with a scrub like Cedric Wilson with a breakout year, why keep the salary buster that's not helping Dak? 

I think it's interesting how Derek Carr's career has gone since the trade. Everybody was trying to run him out of the league in 2018, speculating for his replacement as Raiders qb of the future, because he clearly wasn't the answer. Maybe he's still not, but his production and stock has skyrocketed ever since they ditched Cooper. They also lost a first round WR in Ruggs who was just starting to show something when his career took a wrong turn. Carr's receivers aren't particularly notable, yet his qb rating and yards per attempt have taking a significant leap post-Coop. His top receiver is a small, slow white guy that was a 5th round pick, and some JAGs, plus Waller when he's not hurt. 

You've never liked Amari and you've been wrong most of the time.  We don't really use him like a #1 with so many weapons and I wish Amari would consider restructuring and giving up a little money, but to say he's not in sync with Dak is incorrect.  

There's dozens upon dozens of stats that all point to the same thing..... Cooper, while not the most prolific WR in the league, was absolutely the most important to the Cowboys and without a doubt their best WR.   He dictates coverage and gets separation in man except for a few rare examples.  He's 20m+ dollars.  I didn't like that price tag at the time but once again, the Jones' were bamboozled by those nosy kids and their dog.  We're going to cut Amari because we're a poorly run organization with terrible executives and it's going to hurt.  That said, CeeDee needs to live up to his draft status and Gallup better be as good as the faith they're going to instill...... But at the end of the day, the Cowboys just suck at organizational management.  I've seen some mocks with us selecting another injured WR, Pickens, from Georgia.

• Hook 'Em 3

There has to be more behind the scenes with amari that we don’t know about, right? Otherwise, it makes no sense not just restructuring his contract just like we’re doing with Dak. It has to be more than just his outward apathetic looks and his vaccine status. 

Really though, this is why Jerry was so god damn frustrated at the end of last year. He knows our window slammed shut and it’s going to take a lot more draft luck to remain a playoff contender. 

And boy I can’t wait for one side to make all the excuses in the world for why Dak looks like shit next year, and the other side to blame him for every problem we have. 

It doesn’t matter. None of it maters. You could hand the 92 Cowboys or the 70’s Steelers to this clown college of coaches and they would look like dogshit.

Jerry knows this was the team built to win a ring and these morons blew it. He will likely die without seeing a team get close as both lines need serious tucking work, and it takes too long to fix.

Every coach on the offensive side is a moron along with lazy ads McCarthy. Plus the ST guru. Fuck that piece of shit.

I hate to say this but Garrett and Dan Quinn might have won a ring with this team. Nope that’s crazy talk too. Moore is Garrett.

So with a tag on Schultz they will restructure Dak and cut Cooper. Oh well. All you can do is hope Jerry cuts McCarthy loose after a 7-10 season.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Uhm..... like half a dozen things you can do to adjust the cap..... here's the first thing.

No.  Not when the contract's already done.  When the contract is in place you can either cut the player or renegotiate and restructure the contract.  That's it.  I wish we could have kept Amari.  I think he's the most important weapon Dak has and he dictates coverage.  But we were in an impossible situation with Zeke and Dak's contracts.  

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I wish we could have kept Amari.  I think he's the most important weapon Dak has and he dictates coverage.  But we were in an impossible situation with Zeke and Dak's contracts.  

drew has assured me that cap hell does not exist. 

18 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

No.  Not when the contract's already done.  When the contract is in place you can either cut the player or renegotiate and restructure the contract.  That's it.  I wish we could have kept Amari.  I think he's the most important weapon Dak has and he dictates coverage.  But we were in an impossible situation with Zeke and Dak's contracts.  

You're not understanding.  There are half a dozen contracts (at least) or other transactions (cuts or trades) in which the Cowboys could have done to get below the cap.  They simply chose not to do so.  They think salary cap space used on Schultz and others to come plus future space is more important than our leader on defense and our best WR.  They may be right....... history says they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt though.

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

You've never liked Amari and you've been wrong most of the time.  We don't really use him like a #1 with so many weapons and I wish Amari would consider restructuring and giving up a little money, but to say he's not in sync with Dak is incorrect.  

There's dozens upon dozens of stats that all point to the same thing..... Cooper, while not the most prolific WR in the league, was absolutely the most important to the Cowboys and without a doubt their best WR.   He dictates coverage and gets separation in man except for a few rare examples.  He's 20m+ dollars.  I didn't like that price tag at the time but once again, the Jones' were bamboozled by those nosy kids and their dog.  We're going to cut Amari because we're a poorly run organization with terrible executives and it's going to hurt.  That said, CeeDee needs to live up to his draft status and Gallup better be as good as the faith they're going to instill...... But at the end of the day, the Cowboys just suck at organizational management.  I've seen some mocks with us selecting another injured WR, Pickens, from Georgia.

As I alluded to in previous posts, there are a lot of other factors involved in Dak's production swings, as there were with Carr's production swings. I never disliked Cooper, I disliked the price tag and I was absolutely correct about the bloated expectations. You're right, he's not an alpha dawg number one, which is what I have said for years, when supposedly I was wrong. His inconsistent and often disappearing act production is pretty much exactly what I said would happen, because it has been his career. If being correct again and again is wrong, I don't want to be right. Cooper wasn't worth the compensation or the salary burden. That's why the Raiders ditched him, and they don't miss him. He's not quite Joey Galloway 2.0, but there are some similarities. Jerry gonna Jerry.

13 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Poorly portrayed facts. He’s got the second best TE in the game when he’s healthy.  Regardless you just made the case that Carr is a better QB than Dak, and I agree. Your post is tinged with Cooper hatred. “since they ditched Cooper”. 

I don’t think Cowboys will keep Amari. It wouldn’t surprise me to watch him resume a Top 10 WR season on another roster, while we struggle. It will be interesting to see if Dak or Moore - one of them - can navigate the offense without Cooper. Everything flows off of his route running. When it doesn’t work it’s generally poor play design or Dak inaccuracy. 

I actually predicted he would come out strong with his new team, like he did with the Cowboys, and probably have a great year Then he'll likely do what he has done over his career and become far less immortal, doing just enough to perpetuate a lazy perception about some sporadic big games and big years had had in the past.

I have no reason to hate Cooper. I wish he would have proved a far better investment. He seems like an OK guy. He just is what he is, and he's not getting paid like what he is. He's getting paid like the absolute best of what he is occasionally, but not typically.

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If I recall correctly, we didn't really have a WR1 before the trade. We had Beasley, Terrance Williams, and Tavon Austin, and I think Gallup was a rookie. Anyone with elite talent would have improved Dak's numbers. The thinking now I think is that CeeDee Lamb can be a WR1, and we have proven TEs. I hope we can keep him though.

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They think salary cap space used on Schultz and others to come plus future space is more important than our leader on defense and our best WR.  They may be right....... history says they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt though.

the choice wasn't schultz or DLaw and Amare.  if we stayed put and didn't sign anyone we still would have had to cut $21 million from our team and our starting TE would be jeremy sprinkle.  

so we went to DLaw asking for a restructure, he said no.  zeke's not restructuring.  we restructured dak.  the next biggest contracts are tyron, zack martin, and la'el.  they all make $10-$12 with large amounts of guaranteed money. so even if they got restructured the effect on the cap would be negligible.  there simply was not enough in the way of restructuring we could have done to keep everyone.  

12 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the choice wasn't schultz or DLaw and Amare.  if we stayed put and didn't sign anyone we still would have had to cut $21 million from our team and our starting TE would be jeremy sprinkle.  

so we went to DLaw asking for a restructure, he said no.  zeke's not restructuring.  we restructured dak.  the next biggest contracts are tyron, zack martin, and la'el.  they all make $10-$12 with large amounts of guaranteed money. so even if they got restructured the effect on the cap would be negligible.  there simply was not enough in the way of restructuring we could have done to keep everyone.  

So this pushes back the effect Dak has on the cap to next year and beyond? 

Lol, remember when Dak’s contract was gonna be a good one going forward?

season 20 20x4 GIF by South Park

14 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

So this pushes back the effect Dak has on the cap to next year and beyond? 

haven't seen the details so i don't know.  i'm really hoping it doesn't push the dead money past the life of the contract.  i just saw we also restructured zack martin's contract too today.

18 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

haven't seen the details so i don't know.  i'm really hoping it doesn't push the dead money past the life of the contract.  i just saw we also restructured zack martin's contract too today.

If it created cap space this year, then it will reduce cap space in the future. 

That’s how these things work.

49 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

If it created cap space this year, then it will reduce cap space in the future. 

That’s how these things work.

yes of course.  i was speaking to not knowing if it'd be pushing the space to next year or if it'd be pushing it to years beyond the original life contract.  

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Cap hell really does not exist. You can move money around for a long time if you really want to win now. Dallas can sign whoever they want and make any moves they want. Stop believing they have cap problems. We don't. We can easily sign Cooper if he want. As well as DLaw. I would not want to re-sign DLaw, though. 

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Cap hell really does not exist. You can move money around for a long time if you really want to win now. Dallas can sign whoever they want and make any moves they want. Stop believing they have cap problems. We don't. We can easily sign Cooper if he want. As well as DLaw. I would not want to re-sign DLaw, though. 

Dallas doesn’t have to “re-sign” either player.

46 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Then take it. Send his ass packing.

Absolutely. You can find a Schultz in any draft with ease. There is nothing special about him. He is a end of career Witten Jr. And he is horrendous at blocking and plays blow up too often because of him.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Really I think Cooper gets hurt way too much to rely on. He's injured a bit, but he seems hurt temporarily on the sidelines every game I've ever watched him.

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I guess I don’t get what she is suing for?  I get money, but he’s not required to give his biological adult children anything. Or is he?

The money is running out I believe. I guess Jerry has to buy Jean a new yacht. 

Edited by mdmost

I guess I don’t get what she is suing for?  I get money, but he’s not required to give his biological adult children anything. Or is he?

She’s 25. It’s been 25 years since Cowboys did anything. She cursed the team while taking his money. Fuck!

He doesn’t owe her a fucking thing at 25. I guess mama ain’t getting no more money.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Are there laws that require you to support your adult kids?  I get she wants money but how does she proving he’s the dad accomplish that?  

I believe the idea is she can petition to receive inheritance and contest the will when Jerry kicks the bucket. She's probably going to need to stand in line. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The money is running out I believe. 

I'm behind a DMN paywall so was trying to figure out exactly she was suing him for.   So the allegation is there was an ongoing agreement to support her?  

I'm no fan of Jerry but she's fucking 25.   Probably team Jerry on this one absent a clear contractual obligation that's breached.

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm behind a DMN paywall so was trying to figure out exactly she was suing him for.   So the allegation is there was an ongoing agreement to support her?  

I'm no fan of Jerry but she's fucking 25.   Probably team Jerry on this one absent a clear contractual obligation that's breached.

She's saying the agreement doesn't apply to her because she was 0 when it was agreed to so she's not bound by an NDA. I'd imagine she wants her piece of the Cowboys that the other 3 kids are getting. I don't care either way but I love that it's more egg on Jerry's face. She can't be the only fun baby he's had. 

This all came out because she was called as witness to the divorce hearing for Charlotte Jones. Shy Anderson don't play it seems. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

She's saying the agreement doesn't apply to her because she was 0 when it was agreed to so she's not bound by an NDA. I'd imagine she wants her piece of the Cowboys that the other 3 kids are getting. I don't care either way but I love that it's more egg on Jerry's face. She can't be the only fun baby he's had. 

This all came out because she was called as witness to the divorce hearing for Charlotte Jones. Shy Anderson don't play it seems. 

He doesn’t have to leave anything to her.

• Hook 'Em 1