CFB Catch All Thread -- 2022

LTtxfan

I was listening to the Unnecessary Roughness podcast episode where the topic was ranking the top seven SEC QBs for the 2022 season, and one of the hosts (the female UNC fan) ranked Haynes King #4, and I about drove off the road

Anyhoo, this got me thinking about where their starting QB probably ranks in the SEC independent of surrounding talent, and I'm thinking 10th, ahead of the starting QB LSU, Auburn, Missouri, and Vanderbilt. A&M and LSU are close I think, but I gave the nod to Max Johnson. 

What do you guys got?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I was listening to the Unnecessary Roughness podcast episode where the topic was ranking the top seven SEC QBs for the 2022 season, and one of the hosts (the female UNC fan) ranked Haynes King #4, and I about drove off the road

Anyhoo, this got me thinking about where their starting QB probably ranks in the SEC independent of surrounding talent, and I'm thinking 10th, ahead of the starting QB LSU, Auburn, Missouri, and Vanderbilt. A&M and LSU are close I think, but I gave the nod to Max Johnson. 

What do you guys got?

Don't know who all starters are in 2022, but here's some others comments...

On Wednesday at SEC Media Days, Greg McElroy ranked his top 5 quarterbacks in the SEC Conference on “SEC Now,” starting with the returning Heisman winner:

1. Bryce Young, Alabama
  2. Stetson Bennett IV, Georgia
  3. Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
  4. Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
  5. KJ Jefferson, Arkansas

Tim Tebow’s top 5 quarterbacks in the SEC:

1. Bryce Young, Alabama
2. Will Levis, Kentucky
3. Anthony Richardson, Florida
4. Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
5. Hendon Hooker, Tennessee

Jordan Rodgers’ top 5 quarterbacks in the SEC:

1. Bryce Young, Alabama
2. Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
3. Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
4. K.J. Jefferson, Arkansas
5. Will Rogers, Mississippi State

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/greg-mcelroy-ranks-his-top-5-sec-quarterbacks-ahead-of-2022-season/

Edited by LTtxfan

NCAA proposes Transfer Portal windows

ZACH BARNETT      21 HOURS AGO

Instead of being open nearly 24/7, the Portal will soon be open for business only 60 days a year.

"It's never going to be the same, but it doesn't have to be the way that it is." SEC commissioner Greg Sankey opened the week with those words, and on Wednesday evening we saw the first inkling of them becoming true. The wide-open, no regulation, no guardrails era of college football will soon have at least some guardrails.

The NCAA Division I Council endorsed a proposal that would limit the Transfer Portal to two windows: 45 days "beginning the day following the championship selection" and then May 1 to May 15, for a total of 60 days.

For the 2022 season, Championship Saturday is Dec. 3, Selection Sunday is Dec. 4, and so Dec. 5 would become Portal Monday. The Portal would remain open through Jan. 18, and then close until the end of April. In theory, any players entering the Portal on any of the other 305 days in the year would need a waiver to become eligible for the following season.

For personnel professionals tasked with tracking the Portal, cutting it down to two windows is a pick-your-poison scenario. More than 1,400 Division I players entered the Portal in 2020-21, and if your job is to know every single one of them, the Portal being open all fall might be a blessing in disguise. The drip drip drip of players trickling into the Portal might be annoying, like a ringing in your ears that won't go away, but at least that's manageable. If the same number of players enter the Portal in 2022-23, and the Portal is open for a mere 60 days, that's an average of nearly 24 new players per day. The drip, drip, drip of the faucet would become a firehose.

Of course, the Transformation Committee's thinking, the brain behind this proposal, is that closing the Portal until the Monday after the regular season ends would protect players from themselves, barring them from a rash decision with long-term negative consequences. And that may very well happen. But December and January were already the busiest months on a calendar that was open nearly 24/7. 

Those already busy months could become even busier soon.

Also, there's this:

Additionally, schools that accept four-year transfer students receiving financial aid will be required to provide financial aid to the student-athlete through the completion of the student's five-year period of eligibility or undergraduate graduation, whichever comes first, unless the student transfers again or enters a professional draft. The student would continue to count against roster and financial aid limits unless the student is medically disqualified, exhausts eligibility, transfers or enters a professional draft.

The proposal will go before the Division I Board of Directors for final approval next month.

Coach Marion probably glad he left this...

See for yourself below. The comments come around the 4-minute mark, but Narduzzi gets into it around three minutes in.

The Panthers won the ACC for the first time ever. In fact, it was the first outright conference championship ever for Pitt, a program that claims nine national titles and did not join a conference until 1991. The trio of offensive coordinator Mark Whipple, quarterback Kenny Pickett, and wide receiver Jordan Addison created a passing attack that was darn near unstoppable....

All three have since moved on, and it sounds like their head coach may... prefer it that way? Or, at least Narduzzi isn't bemoaning Whipple's departure to Nebraska. 

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The "better medical care" could become a huge issue. Players get a lot of medical care. Suppose a player has a $2,000,000 NIL deal and the school says, "hey, you are making a lot of money, maybe that ACL surgery should be paid for by you". Or something like that. 

It's all new territory, and now the only one transfer rule may change and players will indeed be free agents.

Times are a changin' and nobody has an idea what it will be like in five years.

• Like 1

Heather Dinich includes Texas in preseason bold predictions

Once again, Texas is a highlight of talking season. Heading into August, more and more people are predicting aspects of the college football season.

Among the predictions, Heather Dinich picked Utah to make the College Football Playoff. Utah is led by former Texas transfer Cam Rising, who is set to be one of the best quarterbacks in the nation this year.

Elsewhere, Dinich predicted that Nick Saban would quell the trash talk between Alabama and Texas A&M with an emphatic victory over Jimbo Fisher.

Finally, Dinich said Texas could be the most improved team this year. Having won only five games last year, there is plenty of room to grow. The college football writer had the following to say about the Longhorns.

Texas - I think they are going to be the most improved team in the country. am not saying that Texas is back. We’re gonna ditch that cliche. No, Texas is not back, but I say they win at least eight games.

Leaves out on purpose the Bama, tOSU, and USC QB's since they get so much media coverage.       (Nothing on Texas QB's)

Greg McElroy on the TOP quarterbacks in College Football this year

Said some other QB's will also be covered later...

Rank #5       Bijan Robinson

Texas · RB · Junior

Why he could win: If there’s a non-QB offensive player who could swoop in and take home the hardware, it might be Robinson. He has all the physical tools to dominate again with the perfect blend of size, speed and vision. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian paved the way for RB Najee Harris to finish fifth in the 2020 Heisman race when he called plays at Alabama and could unleash Robinson in a similar way.

A big showing on Sept. 10 versus Alabama -- win or loss -- could kickstart Robinson’s campaign, and a late-season game at Kansas could offer Robinson a prime stat-padding opportunity to get him to New York as a finalist. He gashed the Jayhawks last year before a third-quarter elbow injury ended his season, and KU sneaked out of Austin with a win in overtime.

Biggest potential roadblock: Can Texas have a season befitting of a Heisman winner? It’s hard enough for a non-quarterback to win the thing, and it typically requires a combination of individual dominance and team success.  

Robinson also has had his share of injuries the past two seasons, making a fully healthy season a bit of a projection. He likely will need to be out there dominating on a weekly basis to be in the Heisman mix. But Texas also has a terrific backup in Roschon Johnson, whose presence should prevent Robinson from being overworked.

9. TEXAS LONGHORNS

11239306.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

If the offense line performs, this Texas offense should challenge Oklahoma for the Big 12's most prolific unit as a scoring machine this season. Between Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers at quarterback, the Longhorns have two options they're comfortable with as playmakers under center and the weaponry on the outside is impressive following Xavier Worthy's spectacular freshman campaign at wideout and the addition of Isaiah Neyor and Jahleel Billingsley from the transfer portal. Bijan Robinson shoulders the bulk of the heavy-lifting at Texas and rightfully so as the preseason Doak Walker favorite and top-ranked running back in college football, but he isn't the only ballcarrier who will show out this season for the Longhorns. Roschon Johnson averaged nearly six yards per carry as a junior last season with five touchdowns while Keilan Robinson, a transfer from Alabama, scooted his way to 7.2 yards per touch with three scores with the ball in his hands. Those three backs combined for more than 2,000 yards on the ground and 23 total touchdowns, making the Longhorns' backfield one of the most-feared groups in the nation coming into 2022.

7. OKLAHOMA SOONERS

One way to ensure your offense scores points and produces yardage in bunches is to hire Jeff Lebby, one of the most respected play-callers and play design gurus nationally. Brent Venables made him a priority early in his search for Oklahoma's new instructor on offense ahead of his first season. He was the brains behind Lane Kiffin's early success at Ole Miss each of the past two seasons and coached Sooners quarterback Dillon Gabriel at UCF during his freshman campaign (2019). Gabriel threw 29 touchdown passes that season for the Knights and increased that total to a conference-leading 32 during the 2021 campaign before battling through injuries and a new scheme last fall in Orlando under Gus Malzahn. Oklahoma's passing game could be top five nationally if the playmakers around Gabriel perform, including Marvin Mims.

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

9. TEXAS LONGHORNS

11239306.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

If the offense line performs, this Texas offense should challenge Oklahoma for the Big 12's most prolific unit as a scoring machine this season. Between Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers at quarterback, the Longhorns have two options they're comfortable with as playmakers under center and the weaponry on the outside is impressive following Xavier Worthy's spectacular freshman campaign at wideout and the addition of Isaiah Neyor and Jahleel Billingsley from the transfer portal. Bijan Robinson shoulders the bulk of the heavy-lifting at Texas and rightfully so as the preseason Doak Walker favorite and top-ranked running back in college football, but he isn't the only ballcarrier who will show out this season for the Longhorns. Roschon Johnson averaged nearly six yards per carry as a junior last season with five touchdowns while Keilan Robinson, a transfer from Alabama, scooted his way to 7.2 yards per touch with three scores with the ball in his hands. Those three backs combined for more than 2,000 yards on the ground and 23 total touchdowns, making the Longhorns' backfield one of the most-feared groups in the nation coming into 2022.

7. OKLAHOMA SOONERS

One way to ensure your offense scores points and produces yardage in bunches is to hire Jeff Lebby, one of the most respected play-callers and play design gurus nationally. Brent Venables made him a priority early in his search for Oklahoma's new instructor on offense ahead of his first season. He was the brains behind Lane Kiffin's early success at Ole Miss each of the past two seasons and coached Sooners quarterback Dillon Gabriel at UCF during his freshman campaign (2019). Gabriel threw 29 touchdown passes that season for the Knights and increased that total to a conference-leading 32 during the 2021 campaign before battling through injuries and a new scheme last fall in Orlando under Gus Malzahn. Oklahoma's passing game could be top five nationally if the playmakers around Gabriel perform, including Marvin Mims.

this graphic goes with above article

Shane Beamer makes South Carolina players sit in stadium's upper deck to deliver key message

The Gamecocks' second-year head coach reminds players what it's like for fans who sit "damn-near touching the sun"

“They’re going to come out here, you know how our fans are, they’re the best in the country, they’re going to be out here when we play Georgia State, it’s at night,” Beamer says, “and then they’re also going to do that same walk and that same climb when we play Georgia in the second home game at 12 noon when it’s a hundred degrees out here and sit out in the sun, where up here, you’re damn-near touching the sun.

“For three-and-a-half hours. For you! I want to make sure we don’t lose sight of what we’re doing and who we’re doing it for.”

https://footballscoop.com/news/college-football-sec-south-carolina-touching-the-sun

Forget Hatfields-McCoys, Jimbo-Nick; Kentucky's Mark Stoops-John Calipari feud remains centerstage sports war of words

Calipari-Stoops feud is so bad, UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart publicly weighed in

JOHN BRICE  6 HOURS AGO

Forget the Hatfields and McCoys.

What’s a more infamous intra-family battle? Anyone?

Prince Harry and Meghan vs. Prince William and Kate?

PGA Tour vs. LIV Golf?

Derek Jeter vs. Alex Rodriguez?

There’s a hell of a horse-racing continuing to brew in the Bluegrass State.

John Calipari’s national championship-drought at the University of Kentucky has now stretched beyond a decade, and, at the same time, Wildcats’ football coach Mark Stoops has transformed that program in a consistently competitive, postseason-bound Southeastern Conference squad that UK had not seen at this level since the halcyon days of the late, great Paul “Bear” Bryant.

No, Kentucky football hasn’t won a Southeastern Conference title; nor has it even captured an SEC Eastern Division crown.

Still, Stoops’ blue-collar, well-developed program has toppled rivals Florida and Tennessee in recent years; it’s had a pair of 10-win campaigns.

More than ever in this modern era, Kentucky football can stand on its own. 

Despite Calipari’s seemingly gratuitous need to twice in an interview emphasize Kentucky’s place as a “basketball school.”

Stoops didn’t tolerate it midweek, and he wasn’t done not tolerating it Saturday as his Wildcats worked toward their season-opening game next month.

“I’m the head coach of the football team, and I work within the context of the athletic department,” Stoops said following his team’s Saturday work. “Anything that I said or do is in defense of our players and our staff or our fans.

“Mark Stoops doesn’t need defending. But, you know, I also appreciate the work that we’ve done to get to this point. We want to continue to push and to strive to get better and we’ll do that.”

Flatly, Stoops told reporters that he had not spoken with Calipari, answering with a succinct, “No.

So Calipari again took his comments public.

“I reached out to Mark Thursday, and will try again,” Calipari Tweeted. “Comparing our athletic dept. to others was my bad.

“I have supported Mark & the football team through good and bad. I will continue to support and cheer them on.”

It all triggered unexpected matinee theatre from the boss of both Calipari and Stoops, veteran UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart.

He conducted his own press conference on the heels of Stoops’s comments, and Barnhart similarly did not mince words.

“As is my norm, I will keep details of the family business and private convos within family,” Barnhart said. “Comments (by Calipari) in an interview created in my judgment an unproductive and unfortunate situation. I can assure I’ve talked to both coaches, they’re extremely competitive and that’s what I want them to be.

“As adults we are responsible for leading a group of young people. … Adults are supposed to teach the children. However, what occurred this week is not who we are and not who we want to be. I’ve communicated that directly.”

Barnhart then took direct aim at Calipari’s “we’re a basketball school” comments.

“We aren’t a football school; we aren’t a basketball school,” he said. “We are both of these and much more.”

Though Barnhart did not enumerate any of the Wildcats’ basketball accomplishments under Calipari, he did point out Stoops’s football program had a chance to extend its school-record streak of bowl appearances to seven this fall, and he also touted the program’s ticket sales.

“We’ve sold 37,000-plus season tickets,” Barnhart said, “plus 6 to 7,000 student tickets putting us around 43,000.”

Though Calipari publicly revealed he reached out to Stoops, Barnhart said that Calipari was wrong to try to conduct that conversation via telephone from the Bahamas – where UK has been as a basketball team – rather than in person with Stoops.

“I think that they’ll talk at the appropriate time when Cal gets back from the Bahamas,” Barnhart said. “… They’re both grown men that are iconic people in our program. I would expect and anticipate that they’ll manage that like pros.

“It doesn’t mean that they’ll have dinner every night together or whatever, but they’ve got programs they’ve got to work at and build.”

Then, Barnhart added this:

“What we came here to do is not to get into drama every day,” he said.

• Hook 'Em 1