CFB Catch All Thread -- 2022

LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...

This is ridiculous... and yet pedo state getting screwed is funny  😋

Penn State to open 2023 Big Ten schedule on the road for the eighth straight season

Over the summer, James Franklin called Penn State's seven straight B1G road openers "unacceptable." So, naturally, the Big Ten opened Penn State on the road again.

ZACH BARNETT    4 HOURS AGO

If you're asking my advice, there are three groups of people in life I would not mess with. I wouldn't mess with anyone rumored to have connections to organized crime, just to be safe. I wouldn't mess with a mom who feels her child has been disrespected, overlooked or otherwise mistreated. That goes without saying.

And in light of Wednesday's developments, I wouldn't mess with the Big Ten office, specifically if I was a Big Ten coach looking to pester, neg, or otherwise force the league to give my team a favorable football schedule.

Over the summer, Penn State head coach James Franklin pointed out that his team has opened conference play on the road for seven straight seasons. He and AD Pat Kraft would speak with the folks in the league office and get it addressed, Franklin said. Except he said it much more bluntly.

“It stinks. I called conference office and said this is unacceptable," he said. This shouldn't happen at Penn State."

Fast forward to Wednesday. The Big Ten dropped its 2023 slate and Penn State begins conference play.... at Illinois.

Its reminiscent of 2020 when Nebraska, the loudest and angriest of the 14 schools over the league's temporary decision to cancel that year's football season and even had a group of parents sue the conference, opened that belated season at Ohio State. "Okay," the Big Ten said, "y'all want to play football that bad? Enjoy Columbus."

One can imagine the Big Ten schedulemaker nodding and "uh-huh"-ing through that phone conversation with Franklin back in the summer, hanging up the phone, opening their "2023 FB sked" Google doc and immediately typing in "Penn State at Illinois" for the Week 16 slate.

Not only is the Illinois game Penn State's eight straight road B1G opener, its their 13th of the last 14. To Penn State's credit, it is 8-4 in the previous 12. 

Penn State Big Ten Openers
2022 -- at Purdue (W, 35-31)
2021 -- at Wisconsin (W, 16-10)
2020 -- at Indiana (L, 36-35 OT)
2019 -- at Maryland (W, 59-0)
2018 -- at Illinois (W, 63-24)
2017 -- at Iowa (W, 21-19)
2016 -- at Michigan (L, 49-10)
2015 -- vs. Rutgers 
2014 -- at Rutgers (W, 13-10)
2013 -- at Indiana (L, 44-24)
2012 -- at Illinois (W, 35-7)
2011 -- at Indiana (W, 16-10)
2010 -- at Iowa (L, 24-3)

"It is incredibly frustrating and disappointing Penn State will be starting our Big Ten football slate next year on the road for the eighth-straight season and for the 13th time in the last 14 years," AD Pat Kraft told FootballScoop in a statement. "When I arrived on campus, I shared with the conference staff my concerns and repeatedly referenced their failure to address this issue in the past. I have been in communication with Commissioner Warren and I am confident this issue will be addressed moving forward."

We've reached out to the Big Ten for comment and will update if we hear back.

In the meantime, Penn State fans should go ahead and prepare themselves now to open 2024 at USC or UCLA.  

Update: Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren provided this statement to FootballScoop.

"The Big Ten Conference is collectively working to evolve and strengthen our football scheduling process. In alignment with our member institutions and media partners we are committed to fortifying our procedures to ensure equity for our programs, excitement for our fans, and the very best opportunities and exposure for our student-athletes."

• 2 weeks later...

Previewing the biggest games on the college football schedule

We've got the first Gary Patterson Bowl in Austin, the biggest Tulane home game since 1949, the possible end of an era in college football, and 36 games with postseason implications. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/previewing-the-biggest-games-on-the-college-football-schedule-on-the-line-gary-patterson-bowl

Not sure why hash marks are different in CFB vs NFL but came across an article discussing differences...

"How the NFL’s hash marks help defenses disguise pressure more than in college football"

Hash marks are located differently on a college field than at the pro level. Retired lineman Geoff Schwartz breaks down how this affects the game.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/9/7/20851532/nfl-college-football-differences-hash-marks-defense-pressure

By Geoff Schwartz  Sep 7, 2019

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...

A University of Texas school (UTRGV)  is launching college football to “Rally the Valley”  

The Football Championship Subdivision program is touting new facilities, top-line salaries and resources.  "The Vaqueros"

Uncertainty, perhaps, is the universal certainty right now in college athletics.

Conference realignments. Name, Image and Likeness deals, as well as college athletics’ free agency – the NCAA Transfer Portal -- turning upside down the suddenly antiquated notion of building, developing and maintaining a core roster of stability.

College athletics look vastly different now than a year ago; 2021 different than 2020; 2023 promising the biggest change yet.

Deep in Texas, miles from the international border with Mexico, Chasse Conque sees each of these potential obstacles and is undaunted.

He’s the athletics director at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, and he’s launching multiple new NCAA sports – most notably a program to compete in Football Championship Subdivision play.

It’s been just a couple of weeks since UTRGV’s announcement of the school’s formal approval to add football, women’s aquatics, band and cheer programs.

“I’m really proud of the people that have come along with us on this journey,” Conque, midway through his fourth year atop Vaqueros athletics, told FootballScoop. “We knew the potential here was great. And I got asked a lot when left I (Arkansas) Little Rock, why? To be at this moment.

“This is something we always knew had the potential, but to see it come to fruition and do it with the outstanding people here, like our president Dr. Guy Bailey, there’s not a better veteran leader, a better CEO in higher education than Guy Baily. His value that he has on college athletics and what it can do for our university is unmatched. To see everybody wanting the same thing and being so focused, entrenched in our community is special. For me personally, this is not an opportunity that many get. To be able to do what I love to do, take care of entire athletics department and to have 16 sports and going to 18 is special.”

UTRGV is here, moving forward in the launch of the program by securing facilities, committing to an all-new on-campus training center, because its students voted at more than 61% approval for adding football, among the other programs.

Because Conque, who notes UTRGV’s tuition advantage program that affords Texas students under certain income lines to attend school virtually at no cost, constantly canvasses the region, barnstorming on behalf of the Vaqueros for audiences of five or 500.

He’s taking his “Rally the Valley” catchphrase and living it each day.

“Going back to August ‘19, I said that at my press conference and may have tweeted ‘Rally the Valley’ that night,” Conque said. “It’s really stuck, and we started to build our message around it.

“We have 2-million people plus that we serve in this region. We need to be in the communities we serve, and they need to see our student athletes. South Padre Island is right here in the Valley. We’re playing basketball classics now, we had Texas Tech down here for a doubleheader and we’re going to play basketball at three venues here throughout the valley, do camps and competitions in the Mid-Valley. So our message from the beginning is that we had to show the community we were serious. They were going to see us in their hometown.”

The Vaqueros on the football field are likely to be featured in multiple spots in the Lone Star State. They are slated for membership in the Western Athletic Conference and poised to play a number of games at HEB Stadium in Edinburg, the gleaming new state-of-the-art venue for the region’s professional soccer team.

Playing at the Football Championship Subdivision level, UTRGV is targeting a full conference schedule for its debut 2025 season.

Conque already is deep in the interview process; there are a number of candidates speaking with UTRGV for their second and third times, per industry sources.

The program is being positioned for immediate success. Conque and his staff are lining up a football budget for the Vaqueros that’s reflecting salaries at or near the top of their impending rivals.

“We wanted to put ourselves in position to be at the top of the league,” Conque said of the program’s immediate salary competitiveness. “We were able to do a lot of comps, do our research, and we all have different ways of skinning a cat; as we budgeted, we wanted to be at the top of our peers in the WAC or the ASUN.

“We’re going to be competitive in salaries, be competitive in operational investment, with the facility we discussed, we’re going to be very, very competitive there. We’re not just wanting to roll the ball out there and say we have a football program. We’re committed to doing it at a high level and the right way and giving our program a chance early for success.”

Connecting to the community already embracing this yet-to-play program is mandatory as Conque seeks the program’s first-ever head coach.

The Vaqueros will hire their head coach and a couple of assistants in 2023; they’ll start signing players the following year, preparing for a practice season in 2024 that’s prelude to the ’25 lid-lifter.

“Our football coach is going to be undefeated in our community and the honeymoon phase is going to be extended a couple years,” Conque said of the program’s runway to its formal launch. “We want to take advantage of that momentum. We have to continue to build those meaningful relationships.”

image.png

I figured a catch-all thread was the best place to ask this.  I think I've asked before, but I don't remember where or what the answer was.

I attended A&M/Texas games when I was a kid and in college in the 70's and 80's, and I don't know why I noticed this or why it occurred to me last year, but I it flashed in my memory that cowbells were a huge deal with the Texas fans at games back then, and I honestly don't remember when that stopped being the case.

I was curious if my memory was embellishing the "cowbell quantity" or prevalence, but last night I was on YouTube watching the '84 game in Austin and the audio commentary is damned near drowned out throughout the game by the cowbells.  When they cut to scenes of the crowd it looked like every single band member and tons of fans were rattling them.

What happened to that?  Was it a conference thing?  I mean, when we switched to the Big 12 were they prohibited, or did the SWC enact a rule about that earlier, or was something that faded on its own?  I do remember when the SEC enacted a rule against artificial noise makers they grandfathered in the Mississippi State cowbells, so that's why I wondered if the SWC or Big 12 had put a similar rule in place.

I always liked the cowbells at the Texas games, and I guess I associate it with being a kid and fond memories of those games against the Longhorns.  

Anyway, just passing curiosity.

• Hook 'Em 1