Art Fanatics Thread of Visual Dominance

HoustonHorn

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I have never really known what my style of art was…but Patricia Squalls’ (sp?) stuff surely must be it. The orange/reddish paintings are especially beautiful to me.

Be careful, AbEx (abstract expressionism) is a gateway drug… but seriously, the one that I said shows up a little too brown bc of lighting was one on display in the Bernardus Lodge spa room on Carmel valley road and it also moved me beyond comprehension. We met Patricia after our spa day and talked for hours about children with learning disabilities. We stayed until the sun went down and then some, shared beautiful wine, take out pizza and left with two pieces - one of the older ones no one wanted - my ex has it and it makes me sad I don’t have it but ok she does she deserves it too. The other the one above. Art tells stories and none better than the blank slate of AbEx works. And for that piece a story of real human connection came with it as well. Infinitely blessed to still know that woman. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I like old shit and buy for my office decor. I need to step up my display game though.

20220201_140603.jpg

20220201_140554.jpg

If money was no object I would be all over antiquities. That’s a dangerous area for sure. Indiana Jones shit right there. 

these goofy guys are just perfect and just my speed

I mean, I like the impressionist boobs and upskirt shots above, too, but man, I'm like... combing through the Etsy page and checking my art budget*

*I don't have one but clearly I need to rectify that situation

• Drool 1

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You are missing an opportunity here with a captive audience.  Customize a few pieces to fit this site’s quirks and peculiarities and see what happens.

That one is customized to our peculiarities and quirks. Especially if you're watching the basketball game right now. 🤮

There's also one with a Texas flag: Texas Flag Ape on Red 4 X 6 Original Hand-painted Block | Etsy

Edited by Rimbo
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

That one is customized to our peculiarities and quirks. Especially if you're watching the basketball game right now. 🤮

There's also one with a Texas flag.

I was thinking more something like @THUJONE’s work.  Obviously he would need to put his own spin on it, but there’s a market there .  

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, conVINCEd said:

I was thinking more something like @THUJONE’s work.  Obviously he would need to put his own spin on it, but there’s a market there .  

cartoon monkey dicks, eh?

... you pervert.

It's brilliant. But I can't hang it on my bedroom wall. I have kids.

• Drool 1

Just now, Rimbo said:

cartoon monkey dicks, eh?

... you pervert.

It's brilliant. But I can't hang it on my bedroom wall. I have kids.

I wouldn’t hang it over the fireplace, but if I was hosting an event and forced to invite a few aggys, sooners, or Rapelor people to the house, I would absolutely hang something of that sort over the toilet in the 1/2 bath downstairs.  

• Haha 1

Work I've traded for or bought:

I disliked the piece with the hanging objects and wondered why I traded work but when he passed away, came to really like it since they represented different walks where he picked up something he found.  Seldom do you get a moment from another's life and I got 7.  Only one of these artists is still alive.  Save the Last Dance for Me is a piece that I love.  Friend that died during Covid--family and nobody could visit him since the hospital was past saturation and he had the misfortune of having a heart attack.  Wording is all wrong in that sentence but fuck it.  His son played a song to him over the phone that a nurse held to his head before they pulled the plug.  Have more work from others but this will do.  I enjoy drawing and painting too.  

Car1.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

52 minutes ago, troph said:

If money was no object I would be all over antiquities. That’s a dangerous area for sure. Indiana Jones shit right there. 

Yep I am fascinated beyond belief by ancient artifacts . I have a Sumerian  object with cuneiform writing .  It’s a scribes creation describing something, who the hell knows what, but you can actually make out finger prints embedded in the clay it was molded from.

I keep telling my friend this. Don't cheapen your art by selling at lower prices. He doesn't make volume pieces. All luxury items are going crazy right now. All it takes is one person or maybe a couple, to fall in love and they don't care if its $2k, 5k or 10k or more. They are getting a brand new, unknown artist with some absolutely incredible art. That is luxury. That is something nobody else has. And that's worth something.

It's like high end unique pieces in the watch world. Prices go crazy because all it takes is a couple people with money to decide they want to be the only one in the world who has it. It's tough to put a value on that. And you get to set the floor for how much it's worth. Because if its that unique, there will be some other rich person who wants it and they know it's going to be more than the original price.

He has friends who have a lot of money. Fuck you money. And he can't bring himself to change them for his art.

20220201_213717.jpg20220201_213615.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

So, I have little artistic talent. My talent is for the ears, not the eyes.

But I married into one. Qian Juntao is my wife's grandfather, the father of my -- as of this morning, late -- father-in-law.

qian-juntao-%E8%91%AB%E8%8A%A6%E5%9B%BE.

qian-juntao-titoni.jpg

qianjuntao7.jpg

Part of the Shanghai Art Deco movement, known for his graphic design and calligraphy. Very bourgeois, so on the losing side of the revolution.

On my side of the family, parents were collectors of Navajo weavings. Those have now been dedicated to the University of Arizona's Heard Museum:

A handful of the 30-odd pieces are here: Search Results - Heard Museum Digital Resources (oclc.org)

default.jpg?highlightTerms=A%20Turning%2

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, troph said:

Be careful, AbEx (abstract expressionism) is a gateway drug… but seriously, the one that I said shows up a little too brown bc of lighting was one on display in the Bernardus Lodge spa room on Carmel valley road and it also moved me beyond comprehension. We met Patricia after our spa day and talked for hours about children with learning disabilities. We stayed until the sun went down and then some, shared beautiful wine, take out pizza and left with two pieces - one of the older ones no one wanted - my ex has it and it makes me sad I don’t have it but ok she does she deserves it too. The other the one above. Art tells stories and none better than the blank slate of AbEx works. And for that piece a story of real human connection came with it as well. Infinitely blessed to still know that woman. 

I don't think story telling ever gets old and while everybody else is looking maybe for originality (whatever that is, and most likely ignorance to what's out there), good stories are always renewed with the teller.  Have to think that's the only new way forward for an artist.  That and "to thine own self be true." There's a life time of discovery in that small Shakespeare verse.    

13 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I wouldn’t hang it over the fireplace, but if I was hosting an event and forced to invite a few aggys, sooners, or Rapelor people to the house, I would absolutely hang something of that sort over the toilet in the 1/2 bath downstairs.  

I would never try to out-DickButt the Master, but I will definitely put some more Texas-themed ideas into the mix.

For universities and companies, I avoid anything specific after watching U of Alabama try to tear painter Daniel Moore apart over some coffee cups. I don't need that kind of stress. I already made VW's death list, not that I am greatly worried (if they didn't manage to kill me with that old Superbeetle I drove as a teen, they aren't likely to get me now) but they can cause problems for my standing on Etsy or other sites where I sell.

(They will all let you reproduce their logos if you cough up tribute and become "approved." I got other things to paint.)

I do a little crypto-school-pride-stuff, like some Ape Scottish Golfer prints I sell at local shows-- some have a hand-painted tartan pattern in red and white, others in orange and blue, while a third set sport green and gold, randomly matching UAB's colors. I had all these Ape Golfer blanks printed up originally to make real clan tartans, but after grinding through MacKenzie for my family, I realized they were hard and slow to paint, and made me tired. If I wanted to work for a living, I'd go get a job.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I would never try to out-DickButt the Master, but I will definitely put some more Texas-themed ideas into the mix.

For universities and companies, I avoid anything specific after watching U of Alabama try to tear painter Daniel Moore apart over some coffee cups. I don't need that kind of stress. I already made VW's death list, not that I am greatly worried (if they didn't manage to kill me with that old Superbeetle I drove as a teen, they aren't likely to get me now) but they can cause problems for my standing on Etsy or other sites where I sell.

(They will all let you reproduce their logos if you cough up tribute and become "approved." I got other things to paint.)

I do a little crypto-school-pride-stuff, like some Ape Scottish Golfer prints I sell at local shows-- some have a hand-painted tartan pattern in red and white, others in orange and blue, while a third set sport green and gold, randomly matching UAB's colors. I had all these Ape Golfer blanks printed up originally to make real clan tartans, but after grinding through MacKenzie for my family, I realized they were hard and slow to paint, and made me tired. If I wanted to work for a living, I'd go get a job.

That makes sense.  I know two different people who have had similar issues with very large organizations being a little overzealous in the protection of their trademarks.  One of them was so absurd I didn’t realize the person was being serious.  Kept on waiting on the punchline, and it never came.

• Drool 1

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That makes sense.  I know two different people who have had similar issues with very large organizations being a little overzealous in the protection of their trademarks.  One of them was so absurd I didn’t realize the person was being serious.  Kept on waiting on the punchline, and it never came.

The VW one was kind of funny. I had painted a little lederhosen-wearing bierstein-swilling Ape with a scaled down Beetle on his head as a hat. The search-engine robots pinged that I was selling a "VW hat", and alerted a Pasty English Lad working for some trademark-protection entity. The Pasty English Lad (PEL), sitting in a Pasty English town that had been bombed flat by the Luftwaffe, fired off a form letter to Etsy to protest my selling of VW-trademark hats. Which I wasn't doing. But the robot at Etsy pulled my listing and sent me a nice robot form letter asking me to contact PEL, and if we worked it out, they'd reactivate my listing. In the meantime, please don't try to sell anymore VW hats. OK.

So like a dumbass I tried to write PEL and explain that I wasn't selling VW hats, but I doubt he gets paid to read.

And I noticed about 1010 VW paintings on Etsy, many of them with huge logos. I could have pointed that out to the nice Etsy robot, but I ain't no snitch.

I asked PEL if I could just paint over the logo in my non-hat painting, easiest thing in the world. PEL ain't got no time for answering.

Long story short, after a month of having a red double-plus-ungood warning pop up on my non-hat-selling Etsy site whenever I'd check on it, I pulled the offending painting. It has since left my hands, I have no knowledge of its exact whereabouts. Things happen at street art shows, Dude, you don't want to know about them.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

The VW one was kind of funny. I had painted a little lederhosen-wearing bierstein-swilling Ape with a scaled down Beetle on his head as a hat. The search-engine robots pinged that I was selling a "VW hat", and alerted a Pasty English Lad working for some trademark-protection entity. The Pasty English Lad (PEL), sitting in a Pasty English town that had been bombed flat by the Luftwaffe, fired off a form letter to Etsy to protest my selling of VW-trademark hats. Which I wasn't doing. But the robot at Etsy pulled my listing and sent me a nice robot form letter asking me to contact PEL, and if we worked it out, they'd reactivate my listing. In the meantime, please don't try to sell anymore VW hats. OK.

So like a dumbass I tried to write PEL and explain that I wasn't selling VW hats, but I doubt he gets paid to read.

And I noticed about 1010 VW paintings on Etsy, many of them with huge logos. I could have pointed that out to the nice Etsy robot, but I ain't no snitch.

I asked PEL if I could just paint over the logo in my non-hat painting, easiest thing in the world. PEL ain't got no time for answering.

Long story short, after a month of having a red double-plus-ungood warning pop up on my non-hat-selling Etsy site whenever I'd check on it, I pulled the offending painting. It has since left my hands, I have no knowledge of its exact whereabouts. Things happen at street art shows, Dude, you don't want to know about them.

I can’t tell the stories without doxing those involved, and they both probably spend some time here, so I will refrain from doing that.

Found another we have in storage for the new house … my partner said she loved it, I acted like we couldn’t afford it, bought it behind her back. It and the Patrick Puckett two young men are my gifts to her for building our house. She doesn’t know about either.

this one reminds me of the drive west as the land transitions from hill country to west Texas. 

87EFC7C1-1698-4296-8110-21FC6B71A513.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Here are a few of mine most of these I found on my phone not the best pics or light on them, anyway… you can guess my inspiration.  None of these took me longer than an hour to paint. 4 colors and white, some Metallics other than that it’s mix on the canvas and go, paint knife mostly. Some sponge work on the pink/violet/yellow/white one below. Patricia told me to stay away from brushes for a long time, they intimidate young artists. 

D7C1DBD5-B160-4076-9498-CEA6EEA5B2DF.jpeg

B933E579-06D2-4EE0-866C-4767E7DE5099.jpeg

5F368EDF-C5C9-4697-8580-5698F79823B7.jpeg

2FC4FC91-9546-4576-8AB8-45A6E058FCFF.jpeg

She would say find the part you love the most about each piece and that second one I really like the bottom right corner… ended up being my total favorite. here’s a close up… I’ve always loved how the colors worked together here. 

664A196F-77B8-4E3A-9CCC-871D00FF8EDE.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Kinda disappointed that a velvet dogs playing poker hasn’t been posted yet.  Surly b slipping 

My daughter (no pics) took art classes all through high school and college.  Here’s a few crappy pics of some spray paint style canvasses she did for a few bands she likes for her apartment wall.  

DDF66649-8A8A-4FFC-AAD6-A9E7F06224BA.jpeg

48A51DC0-A20D-4229-821B-04B3F8E3F136.jpeg

549D350C-5D7F-41B2-B062-69FFF6CFBA6E.jpeg

7D9279B4-8BAD-4C2D-A27D-32848D8A598D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, troph said:

Here are a few of mine most of these I found on my phone not the best pics or light on them, anyway… you can guess my inspiration.  None of these took me longer than an hour to paint. 4 colors and white, some Metallics other than that it’s mix on the canvas and go, paint knife mostly. Some sponge work on the pink/violet/yellow/white one below. Patricia told me to stay away from brushes for a long time, they intimidate young artists. 

D7C1DBD5-B160-4076-9498-CEA6EEA5B2DF.jpeg

B933E579-06D2-4EE0-866C-4767E7DE5099.jpeg

5F368EDF-C5C9-4697-8580-5698F79823B7.jpeg

2FC4FC91-9546-4576-8AB8-45A6E058FCFF.jpeg

She would say find the part you love the most about each piece and that second one I really like the bottom right corner… ended up being my total favorite. here’s a close up… I’ve always loved how the colors worked together here. 

664A196F-77B8-4E3A-9CCC-871D00FF8EDE.jpeg

That is the trick with AbEx ....it is stripped down to basics - no use of figures, no illusions, no patterns....just colors and forms.  You can slap it around the canvas but it  doesn’t work until a balance is achieved and if it is real good, motion and tension are strategically thrown in the mix to make it a winner...Here’s another Tom Dixon from Taos

8AA020B7-CA92-4B89-AEEB-C8419FF5F383.thumb.jpeg.5799fd3c95a40e727e206072ba102481.jpeg

It gets real interesting up close as you can see the strata and history of paint layers and scratches and chiseling of work that goes into this abstraction...a few of my fav portions of this painting 

FD7C6287-B998-4DF4-B8EB-DB979E96E452.thumb.jpeg.e62de677a4e30966abb4052290ab7083.jpegAF819295-8058-4C5E-99C0-69CE6CD39085.thumb.jpeg.e3656dddd263a25f165d77cb8692d12d.jpeg96721D80-EB8A-49E5-A6E0-6E9216323C00.thumb.jpeg.55e2427d6c9cffa4c350cf252f050fe1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, JCHIL said:

That is the trick with AbEx ....it is stripped down to basics - no use of figures, no illusions, no patterns....just colors and forms.  You can slap it around the canvas but it  doesn’t work until a balance is achieved and if it is real good, motion and tension are strategically thrown in the mix to make it a winner...Here’s another Tom Dixon from Taos

8AA020B7-CA92-4B89-AEEB-C8419FF5F383.thumb.jpeg.5799fd3c95a40e727e206072ba102481.jpeg

It gets real interesting up close as you can see the strata and history of paint layers and scratches and chiseling of work that goes into this abstraction...a few of my fav portions of this painting 

FD7C6287-B998-4DF4-B8EB-DB979E96E452.thumb.jpeg.e62de677a4e30966abb4052290ab7083.jpegAF819295-8058-4C5E-99C0-69CE6CD39085.thumb.jpeg.e3656dddd263a25f165d77cb8692d12d.jpeg96721D80-EB8A-49E5-A6E0-6E9216323C00.thumb.jpeg.55e2427d6c9cffa4c350cf252f050fe1.jpeg

wow. that's amazing. so how much would a piece like that go for?

It’s a

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

spacer.png

It’s an investment (that’s what I tell my wife anyway:) or a selfish sickness haha but I wish I had been collecting when Agnes Martin was painting in Taos and selling her paintings of that size for 5 figures and now 20 years later they exceed 7 figures ....

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Edited by JCHIL

I don't consider it an investment in anything other than my love of beauty. hollywood, just convert your hooker and blow budget to art and it'll be a wash.  don't touch the fishing budget though, that's off limits. fish before art for sure.

1 hour ago, troph said:

I don't consider it an investment in anything other than my love of beauty. hollywood, just convert your hooker and blow budget to art and it'll be a wash.  don't touch the fishing budget though, that's off limits. fish before art for sure.

Between fishing and watches, I need another expensive hobby like I need another wife.

In fact, I’m out of this thread. Beautiful art though ✌️

I was frozen, locked up, about painting for years. All these damn idiot questions about where will I store them, what if I don't do it "right"...

I would paint a few things on found planks because I did not feel worthy of canvas. Whole lot of inner silliness.

I just don't give a damn now. I will stock up with canvases like belt-fed ammo. First thing I'll do is rig them to hang, and hang blank canvases all over the house. Storage solved. Then I'll take a dozen and prep the backgrounds various circus-wagon colors. Hang em back up to dry. Next I paint a faux-frame in black, "Gallery-Wrap" it. This is practical-- people can buy them and hang them right away, but even more, WHEN (not if) you drop a painting and scuff the edge, no need to remix some subtle color-- just dab a little black on it.

And so they hang, all bright and abstract, until such time ad I take them one-be-one to paint images on them.

I sometimes think I ought to skip the cartoon step, and just sell them at the background stage.

6D4CD29B-32A2-4C88-BA89-FA8141365416.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yep. I put blobs of several colors in a dish and daub a raggedy brush in them, let it mix on the canvas.

Nice.  Lots of prep work goes into those.  I really dig your toons - very original and fun-lots of room to run with those.:) .. 

• Drool 1