Art Fanatics Thread of Visual Dominance

HoustonHorn

On 2/4/2022 at 5:37 PM, RDCanecutter said:

I was frozen, locked up, about painting for years. All these damn idiot questions about where will I store them, what if I don't do it "right"...

I would paint a few things on found planks because I did not feel worthy of canvas. Whole lot of inner silliness.

I just don't give a damn now. I will stock up with canvases like belt-fed ammo. First thing I'll do is rig them to hang, and hang blank canvases all over the house. Storage solved. Then I'll take a dozen and prep the backgrounds various circus-wagon colors. Hang em back up to dry. Next I paint a faux-frame in black, "Gallery-Wrap" it. This is practical-- people can buy them and hang them right away, but even more, WHEN (not if) you drop a painting and scuff the edge, no need to remix some subtle color-- just dab a little black on it.

And so they hang, all bright and abstract, until such time ad I take them one-be-one to paint images on them.

I sometimes think I ought to skip the cartoon step, and just sell them at the background stage.

6D4CD29B-32A2-4C88-BA89-FA8141365416.JPG

I quit painting a few years back but remember prep was my favorite. no pressure. I started with white canvas but usually put a light layer of gesso on it and I could do whatever I wanted, it didn't matter, it was a blank slate on a blank slate.  didn't come with the freedom of finish but none of the insecurities either. done or not done it didn't matter, do more or less, didn't matter. I loved the paint knife and gesso the best I think.

• Drool 1

Moar Art ! 1 Jon Flaming - Richardson, Texas artist  - had 2 solo museum shows last year in Midland and Tyler  - this is from his popular Modern Cowboy series (he was also featured in Texas Monthly for his Series of paintings from BBQ joints 562A8B92-0E2B-4A9D-B052-34F4CB88B7EB.thumb.jpeg.8d3f8fbf4da4976e755df1d3bfd5d391.jpegaround Texas A few years ago)  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Here are a couple of my friends’ Instagram accounts.  

“give up” started off as a street artist but also did album art for a bunch of bands.  He has transitioned into the fine art world and does gallery shows.  A good friend of mine and a big inspiration. 

A recent piece he did:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXh_p3mAJbG/?utm_medium=copy_link

and a collaborative print him and I did together.  He is just about sold out of his, but I still have several left. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZfsUTAJm77/?utm_medium=copy_link

Another street artist I know, Eyesore, does some amazing work.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/COy5ArUJ0e1/?utm_medium=copy_link

Back in 2010 I put out a book about Houston street art. One of the artists I featured also had a very successful career as an oil painter, specifically ultra realistic paintings that often portrayed children with graffiti backgrounds.  Some of his work is very pricy, but I know it sells.  This one sold for nearly $13000. 

spacer.png

His Bio and some works here:

https://thinkspaceprojects.com/artists/kevin-peterson/

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, JCHIL said:

Moar Art ! 1 Jon Flaming - Richardson, Texas artist  - had 2 solo museum shows last year in Midland and Tyler  - this is from his popular Modern Cowboy series (he was also featured in Texas Monthly for his Series of paintings from BBQ joints 562A8B92-0E2B-4A9D-B052-34F4CB88B7EB.thumb.jpeg.8d3f8fbf4da4976e755df1d3bfd5d391.jpegaround Texas A few years ago)  

I suspect he has spent some time around a silkscreen press. That's crying out to be a serigraph. I zoomed in just to make sure it wasn't.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JCHIL said:

After glancing at his website, a few prints may be in my future.  Texas-themed art that doesn’t look like the G. Harvey’s that adorn the walls at my parent’s house.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

I suspect he has spent some time around a silkscreen press. That's crying out to be a serigraph. I zoomed in just to make sure it wasn't.

Correct. Texas State graduate in design and former  graphic design and branding artist that jumped into fine art and making a big splash regionally.

TexPx - really  like the nude piece. I will add another Texas artist - Herb Booth who passed in 2014  - very well known wildlife and sporting artist - 13 pieces of his became Texas Parks and Wildlife or Gulf Coast Conservation Association conservation stamps.  Here is a watercolor named “Dove Tank” 

85781E39-CBD7-41ED-9B99-992B51242997.thumb.jpeg.2eaccd96ef9b8b2e0f582bfd05f18bec.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

Another UT artist.
88c013a08a76f5188176737106c25e24.jpg
Paige Davidsonf8d64a543cede0de90de8141d7fa833c.jpg
Her studio/gallery is in downtown Gainesville in a building that was her grandfather’s auto parts store.

Little pieces like the ones up top are great to sell at a show. They fly off the table at a decent price to weight ratio (yes, the weight of the art matters most when your back is 60+ :) ,) they cause patrons to stop and linger, which is gold, and they are simple and inexpensive to mail. 

Edited by RDCanecutter

Little pieces like the ones up top are great to sell at a show. They fly off the table at a decent price to weight ratio (yes, the weight of the art matters most when your back is 60+  ,) they cause patrons to stop and linger, which is gold, and they are simple and inexpensive to mail. 

Yeah, she does this little wood block paintings mostly for people who wander into her gallery off the street. Her big oils and watercolors can sit on the walls for a while.
  • Drool 1

30 minutes ago, DougO said:

I found this the other day looking back through some of my old drawing pads, a spontaneous freehand doodle at the bottom of the page to save space. I would have been 18 or 19 when I did this, many, many moons ago. Bass fishing and football were my most common themes. For some reason, I really enjoyed playing around with blue ball point pen. 

stumpedwebedit.jpg

Boy if yew don't start drawin again I'm gonna fry me up some eggs and bacon then I'm gonna come on down there and put a whoopin on yew boy.

Seriously, you need to draw.

• Like 1

Hey y'all, I've got a dozen of them ready in various shades of burnt orange. I put 4 of them in my Etsy store and will add the rest over the next couple of days. I appreciate anybody who goes to check them out. They are named "Texas Flag Ape" plus their number eg TX01, TX02...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WalterMooreArt?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

TX04.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Before his untimely death, my brother -in-law was an art dealer in Austin. He repped a number of Austin artists, including the well-known Austin landscape and still life artist A.D. Greer in the late 80’s and early 90’s. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8c726acd598f4b833379bca07bda8bd5.jpeg

image.jpeg.cac4aa8c2c2b65d75454d656c1c69f1e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.80507477c482cded3f71d51ee3eeabfb.jpeg

My UT graduation party in 1991 was at his art gallery.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 2/19/2022 at 3:55 PM, Bernard said:

Before his untimely death, my brother -in-law was an art dealer in Austin. He repped a number of Austin artists, including the well-known Austin landscape and still life artist A.D. Greer in the late 80’s and early 90’s. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8c726acd598f4b833379bca07bda8bd5.jpeg

image.jpeg.cac4aa8c2c2b65d75454d656c1c69f1e.jpeg

My UT graduation party in 1991 was at his art gallery.

Bernard

Hudson River school influences there.  

On 2/14/2022 at 6:34 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Hey y'all, I've got a dozen of them ready in various shades of burnt orange. I put 4 of them in my Etsy store and will add the rest over the next couple of days. I appreciate anybody who goes to check them out. They are named "Texas Flag Ape" plus their number eg TX01, TX02...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WalterMooreArt?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

TX04.jpeg

I just ordered a few things.  I like your style dude. 

• Drool 1

Thank God the sun is shining and the first shows in what feels like 47 years are coming up.

I mean, I'm always happy to sell online. (You want something online, Dude? I'll get you something online. I can get you something by 3:30 today, Dude, you don't wanna know.) But that's a life of total isolation. I would go to the Post Office at the busiest time to mail stuff, just to see people.

On the other hand, shows are 100% meeting people, all kinds of people. There's that little detail of selling at least 3 times as much stuff too.

Downside is the gully-washers, the cold snaps, the heat waves and wind. I've seen $200 tents turn into box kites and had a rookie neighbor's art fly from her booth to guillotine one of my paintings. Most shows are good though, and you adapt in what you take and how you pack it.

Lately I have been starting on a new thing-- finding enough gift stores and small galleries in the tricounty area to stock my work where the sales rate would create demand enough to hustle my butt to create replacements, then allow me to noodle around on backroads carrying boxes of new art to replace things, and enough cash to eat at a different gas station taqueria each time.

I will consider I have made it when that happens.

Some positive developments are already underway, and I am laying up enough extra canvases, paints, and block printing supplies to deal with a zombie attack.

In the meantime, y'all find your own local art place, it'll probably have some Deadhead and/or Mexican Revolution theme to it, meet your local assholes, maybe grab a print from a local dude.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I went to your Twitter and was greeted with this ad. I'd like you to do something about it as it offends me. Thanks.

Screenshot_20220323-011922.thumb.png.1593092d094e8132690984d2d488ff69.png

Sorry about that. I sign people up for Autism studies as a side-gig on months where art sales are slow. I told Heinrich not to run the ads on my own feed. I told him.

• Hook 'Em 1