Art Fanatics Thread of Visual Dominance

HoustonHorn

I don't know what this is about really, but I took this photo a while back when I was just experimenting and practicing sculpting random heads with Sculpy. But I always liked the photo. Seems like it should symbolize something, but I don't know. My accidents end up being a lot better art than stuff I do on purpose. 

head.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, DougO said:

I don't know what this is about really, but I took this photo a while back when I was just experimenting and practicing sculpting random heads with Sculpy. But I always liked the photo. Seems like it should symbolize something, but I don't know. My accidents end up being a lot better art than stuff I do on purpose. 

head.jpg

I thought that was your head inside a giant sculpted hand.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For May and June I blinked and all that time shot by non-productively. Got some canvases started, but am avoiding working on them.

To break the funk, going back to what I used to do-- scads of quick cheap little drawings. Throw em up on Etsy so the bots get excited, or take them to shows in a shoe-box that people can root through.

In that spirit, behold Top Hat Cigar & Martini Ape King of Money.

21jul22a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

Technical question-- how well do paintings hold up in bathrooms? I would think that the occasional mist might warp them.

We have a couple of bathroom prints Mrs. Canecutter bought maybe 20 years ago, and they seem ok... but me being hyper-vigilant I ran off a potential customer who wanted to buy some canvas panel paintings for his bathroom. I wasn't worried about the paint, or the canvas, but who knows what they used for the heavy cardboard of the "panel'... Get some kind of Chernobyl mold growin on that thing...

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Thanks to your post and the Googles I do. Vibrant work.

Are you familiar with the woman in Charleston doing the stuff with bottle caps?  I’ve been perusing real eatate listings there for the last couple of years, and every few months one pops up on a wall.  I’m intrigued.  I’m not going to call her blind because she’s probably out of my league, but you seem a little plugged in the art world.   $5k?  $10k?  More?

7DA3628A-817A-42F7-BD9C-708DB1BD2147.thumb.jpeg.2171c069744ef607a0d81aa02fd9f761.jpeg

• Drool 1

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Are you familiar with the woman in Charleston doing the stuff with bottle caps?  I’ve been perusing real eatate listings there for the last couple of years, and every few months one pops up on a wall.  I’m intrigued.  I’m not going to call her blind because she’s probably out of my league, but you seem a little plugged in the art world.   $5k?  $10k?  More?

7DA3628A-817A-42F7-BD9C-708DB1BD2147.thumb.jpeg.2171c069744ef607a0d81aa02fd9f761.jpeg

Mollie B. Right--

I found an untended website, and instagram and FB, but not one single price.

(Drives me batshit crazy when artists or galleries won't post prices. I mean, if I wanna buy a mansion, somebody'll give me a price. But if I want a painting from Ze Gallerie Foufou to hang on the wall of my mansion, we have to act as if we are ethereal creatures who are above such things.)

If I were you I'd shoot her an Instagram or FB message saying you like it, is it still available, and how much?

https://www.facebook.com/molly.right

https://mollybright.com/?fbclid=IwAR2_JmEm3qOdXX29dqrQT510eXcvdnc7-6Me4ZPunI4NPFdA8pADmau2ysI

https://www.instagram.com/mollyrightstudio/

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Mollie B. Right--

(Drives me batshit crazy when artists or galleries won't post prices. I mean, if I wanna buy a mansion, somebody'll give me a price. But if I want a painting from Ze Gallerie Foufou to hang on the wall of my mansion, we have to act as if we are ethereal creatures who are above such things.)

If I were you I'd shoot her an Instagram or FB message saying you like it, is it still available, and how much?

https://mollybright.com/?fbclid=IwAR2_JmEm3qOdXX29dqrQT510eXcvdnc7-6Me4ZPunI4NPFdA8pADmau2ysI

Agree with all of this--ask the artist.  When it goes through a gallery, they usually get 50%, so I'd expect it to be marked accordingly.  With more digging, apparently, you can VRBO their house on Folly Beach.   

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Mollie B. Right--

I’ll probably just pop into her studio once we have moved there.  Just had no idea on prices, and data was tough to find.  I don’t want to be the guy who walks in semi-serious, hears a price, and stumbles around for a minute or two before leaving.  I really like what she does, and I think the texture would look better in person than in pictures.

• Hook 'Em 2

Been spending a few days uploading scans of small paintings to print-on-demand sites like Redbubble and Society6. (Used to do Cafe Press but it was dead as hell, dead as hell.) It's a pleasantly mindless task that requires button clicking but zero creativity.

What they do is print, one-by-one, coffee cups or tshirts or such for people in Australia or Estonia and you get a couple bucks kick-back for one-off rights to the image. Some artists freak over this but to hell with turning the house into a shipping warehouse full of hundreds of products gathering mold and roach doodoo.

Anyway, when I first heard of them in 2016, I thought "Damn gonna get rich" and I spent a couple months uploading everything. Then crickets. Then for years I started getting enough money for a beer every other month. Not a bad thing since all my work was done, but a highly forgettable thing.

Past few months these untended gardens started yielding enough for a beer and a steak dinner. Hmm.

So now I am suckered back in. If it's really going up an order of magnitude, let's load the new art and see if we can snag used-car-payments-level of wealth from it. I mean, if the right C4 person (CompulsiveCreditCardCustomer) sees it, I could pop a few thou from art that I don't have to print or mail.

Just like Amway.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sidis said:

rdcane talking about that got me thinking, after years of doing some large format paintings for fun and to sell on the side (that i won't post to avoid doxxing), i hit a big fat creativity and originality wall not that long ago as my artistic drive was more musical of late.  so i decided to just start copying shit in order to avoid just stopping altogether and to keep some semblance of muscle memory.  decided to start working on my art forgery skillset and start copying some post-impressionist masters in small format...basically stuff you would see at d'orsay or moma.  most i just paint over with a few exceptions that i've kept...probably half of these are the same canvas.  anyway, these are cropped weird to keep anonymity but regardless...

a few van gogh copies...

vangogh2.thumb.jpg.c35eea2ae52617f837cc38f74984137e.jpg

vangogh3.thumb.jpg.9bef178cda94dc877f367b301bfd6d0b.jpg

1005848144_vangogh1.thumb.jpg.1f91a3fe3da7669a6dab625ce4f82648.jpg

couple of monet copies...

monet1.thumb.jpg.0160ad93f95f5ce40013f366647b1599.jpg

monet2.thumb.jpg.5862bb5b0d381ba67bed645647f4cdc9.jpg

some picassos (i love the la reve copy for some reason so framed it and hung it)...

picasso2.thumb.jpg.6a9eb890af92bd2fa36674efc8494c69.jpg

1850238879_larevecopy.thumb.jpg.3bc82091e8e7de8af6e0b2239916be77.jpg

picasso.thumb.jpg.03de1c0981561418037527a4fa2402e0.jpg

braque...

452703076_braquecopy.thumb.jpg.b40582657d645976d41299607deb19f8.jpg

cezanne...

133238322_cezannemtstvictoir.thumb.jpg.01356db061b4c0fe6bb762ef59e05811.jpg

cezanne.thumb.jpg.f099b1eb76648cfe975f571d799f4730.jpg

one exception stemming from the amusement of copying is original painting in the cubist style.

original.thumb.jpg.917e039aaaa85ff283aa814cb995b775.jpg

Those are cool! Super skills

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, sidis said:

rdcane talking about that got me thinking, after years of doing some large format paintings for fun and to sell on the side (that i won't post to avoid doxxing), i hit a big fat creativity and originality wall not that long ago as my artistic drive was more musical of late.  so i decided to just start copying shit in order to avoid just stopping altogether and to keep some semblance of muscle memory.  decided to start working on my art forgery skillset and start copying some post-impressionist masters in small format...basically stuff you would see at d'orsay or moma.  most i just paint over with a few exceptions that i've kept...probably half of these are the same canvas.  anyway, these are cropped weird to keep anonymity but regardless...

a few van gogh copies...

vangogh2.thumb.jpg.c35eea2ae52617f837cc38f74984137e.jpg

vangogh3.thumb.jpg.9bef178cda94dc877f367b301bfd6d0b.jpg

1005848144_vangogh1.thumb.jpg.1f91a3fe3da7669a6dab625ce4f82648.jpg

couple of monet copies...

monet1.thumb.jpg.0160ad93f95f5ce40013f366647b1599.jpg

monet2.thumb.jpg.5862bb5b0d381ba67bed645647f4cdc9.jpg

some picassos (i love the la reve copy for some reason so framed it and hung it)...

picasso2.thumb.jpg.6a9eb890af92bd2fa36674efc8494c69.jpg

1850238879_larevecopy.thumb.jpg.3bc82091e8e7de8af6e0b2239916be77.jpg

picasso.thumb.jpg.03de1c0981561418037527a4fa2402e0.jpg

braque...

452703076_braquecopy.thumb.jpg.b40582657d645976d41299607deb19f8.jpg

cezanne...

133238322_cezannemtstvictoir.thumb.jpg.01356db061b4c0fe6bb762ef59e05811.jpg

cezanne.thumb.jpg.f099b1eb76648cfe975f571d799f4730.jpg

one exception stemming from the amusement of copying is original painting in the cubist style.

original.thumb.jpg.917e039aaaa85ff283aa814cb995b775.jpg

We got us a start-up forgery ring going y'all!

Really nice and woulda fooled me.

How did painting in several different styles come to you?

• Hook 'Em 1

I have recently thought about doing something sort of similar to get myself going. But in my case I was thinking of just taking one of my photos, a bird or a sports figure, a natural scene or something, and generating an outline on computer just to paint over and at least get a feel for pushing paint, or pencils or markers or whatever. I can draw when inspired, but I can't seem to get motivated to do anything in particular. I at least need to do the mechanics of doing art to see if I can get kick started and learn some technique.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

We got us a start-up forgery ring going y'all!

Really nice and woulda fooled me.

How did painting in several different styles come to you?

nah, they definitely lack the weight of originals in person.  you would have instantly been able to tell.  they aren't cartoonish but there is definitely something missing.  probably the closest i got to achieving capturing that weight was with the van gogh sunflower and maybe the monet parliament.  having spent years looking at those, the sunflower still life is the only one that would possibly make someone do a double take before realizing it.  i may try and slip that one into the ol' catalogue raisonné. 

if you're asking how the idea came to me, i was at a pretty frustrated point in terms of creativity at the time...but i was at the met one day and transfixed by the van gogh wheat field with cypresses sky.  despite looking at that painting a million times, something about the signature van gogh slapped on texture sky grabbed me that day.  i had never tried to paint like that before so i went home and tried it just for fun.  it was amusing and highly enjoyable...and i really liked the painting when it was done.  so i did a couple of others of my VG favorites.  after that, i decided to explore which technique of the 1860-1940 golden age masters i enjoyed the most and whether i could competently execute the significantly different styles.  i need to dig up a couple of the matisses i did if i didn't paint over them already as well.

if you're asking how hard it was to shift from style to style...surprisingly easy.  they are all insanely different but so overstudied and defined in terms of approach that it was just a matter of trying to replicate that method.  some allowed a lot more room for error than others.

11 hours ago, DougO said:

I have recently thought about doing something sort of similar to get myself going. But in my case I was thinking of just taking one of my photos, a bird or a sports figure, a natural scene or something, and generating an outline on computer just to paint over and at least get a feel for pushing paint, or pencils or markers or whatever. I can draw when inspired, but I can't seem to get motivated to do anything in particular. I at least need to do the mechanics of doing art to see if I can get kick started and learn some technique.

replicating classics is a great way to get the hang of it...different techniques, understanding the effects of little things like varying levels of linseed oil and varnish, etc... that those artists used to craft their approach.  it can also be detrimental to originality and creativity depending on how you use it.

drawing is my favorite medium to create from personally.  i do that all the time.  but oil (or any) painting is just completely different and doesn't translate.  before you start with trying to recreate life/photos in a style of drawing, just go get some cheap canvases and some oil paints, linseed oil, some brushes, and palettes...just start mixing and exploring how the paint goes on the canvas.  how the colors turn out.  what happens when you add a lot of linseed compared to adding it dry.  just play around with no preconceptions of the end goal is.  how much black to add to really start achieving depth and shading, how much white to add.  mixing it on palette first or just doing it on the canvas.  does it make sense to use acrylic instead of oil.  all those things just come from doing it.   who knows, you may end up with something cool and inspired at the end.  anyway, that would be my advice...just jump into it and explore paints on a canvas without trying to make it something specific.

• Like 1

Just got accepted to the September show at a popular brewery where I always do well. Hot damn. I am fired up and have that film clip from Glengarry Glen Ross memorized. All art is either protected inside plastic or otherwise can take a splash of beer.

In fact, last month I realized my best shows are brewery shows. So in proper manic fashion I decided just to do brewery shows for a few months and see what happened. I sell best to people who like fancy beer. So I busted out the internet, and found 20+ craft breweries around Birmingham, and there are almost that many again 90 miles away in Huntsville what with all those Gary-Larsen-taped-on-the-door tech dudes. Atlanta must be crawling with similar pubs and can be a day-trip with disciplined clock management and auxiliary stimulants.

Internet's OK for sales, galleries are fine, but nothing matches locking crazed eyes with an actual show visitor who didn't come on the lot lest he was lookin to buy. I take cards cash Paypal Venmo Mexican Pesos and maybe that ring you got there.

• Hook 'Em 6

Halfway through with 6 different paintings, being careful as the rains fall every day like 100 Years of Solitude.

In the meantime, got into a small show at a small brewery, Punk Rock Music night, different bands, various vendors using booth tables, pool tables, maybe the bar itself. If I make 100 bucks profit I'll be pleasantly surprised. Mainly a chance to hobnob with my fellow circus-folk, find out about more shows.

In the low-budget vein I decided to chop up a lot of wine boxes and do some low-budget quick-selling baseball-card-sized Apes. If these get beer stained I'll call em "mixed media."

aceo1.jpeg

aceo2.jpeg

aceo3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I have been saying for years "I'm going to draw something today" but then I don't. Last week I finally decided THIS is the fn' day, dammit! I tried several times during the day to think of something to draw, just couldn't get inspired. Finally looked at the clock and it was 11:48pm. So I said "fuck it" and drew a spork that was laying on my table in ten minutes, and it's a piece of shit, the #2 pencil I picked up sucked, lead kept breaking, eraser was all dried up, but it got done in a nick of time. I'll call it impressionism.

sporkart.jpg

At least its something. Baby steps... Not sure when I'll set the next deadline. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, DougO said:

I have been saying for years "I'm going to draw something today" but then I don't. Last week I finally decided THIS is the fn' day, dammit! I tried several times during the day to think of something to draw, just couldn't get inspired. Finally looked at the clock and it was 11:48pm. So I said "fuck it" and drew a spork that was laying on my table in ten minutes, and it's a piece of shit, the #2 pencil I picked up sucked, lead kept breaking, eraser was all dried up, but it got done in a nick of time. I'll call it impressionism.

sporkart.jpg

At least its something. Baby steps... Not sure when I'll set the next deadline. 

Seriously, there's probably a market for utensil art, with some 14-syllable German name. Shave your head, buy a turtleneck, and do a couple hundred more.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Seriously, there's probably a market for utensil art, with some 14-syllable German name. Shave your head, buy a turtleneck, and do a couple hundred more.

I mean if Andy Warhol can paint soup cans and they sell for millions, my spork art seems legit enough.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yesterday's Punk Rock Art Show was fun. We were in an unused part of the brewery so I got to "bartend" my art from behind a long unused bar, whose hidden detritus included a moldering Hebrew grammar.

5 different bands with distinct styles, with an all-ages crowd building up. People mostly kept circulating among the vendors, except for one Bernie Bro who kept wanting to camp out and block my space to shoppers, and even set his beer down among my artwork. Not a bad guy and we got him trained to respect private business. Not as bad as the drunk lawyer who chucked ketchup packets at my work at a different show.

Glad I churned out waves of $5 to $15 items for this show because that's what carried the weight. Usually I'll sell a couple of bigger paintings, and a ton of small $40 paintings, but this crowd was a throwback to the 90s, seems like everybody brought enough cash for cover, a beer, and some band merch, and didn't want to bust out cards. 2/3 of sales were cash, inverse of usual. Still, met and exceeded goals for this type of show. Could have made more money working a cashier shift at Buc-ees but then I would have had to been at Buc-ees.

Now I have a big show coming up in one week at a much more sales-friendly place, and I am short on low-priced stock. Gotta get busting on the block prints because those need time to dry. It'll be a busy time.

I love it.

My view from behind the bar before things got rocking:

PunkRock27aug22a.jpeg

PunkRock27aug22b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Got enough new 4 x 6" block prints done to cover the big show coming up Saturday.I may put one or two on Etsy but the rest I'm gonna move on the street, yo.

Managed to finish a couple more commission paintings.

Now I must pause all Ape stuff for a minute and work on more human-looking cartoons. A writer I worked for in the past (perfect customer) asked me in July if I'd work on another book (like hell yeah) then I didn't hear from her. For more than a month. Today we worked out that my gmail had sent her work request to Spam. She probably thought I ignored her for a month. Now I am forgiven and have a second chance, but I need to draw like the wind.

NewPrints31Aug22.jpeg

SurveyorApe.jpeg

NurseApe.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Good show last night, large crowd there who came on purpose to buy art. I have various block prints of cartoon Apes carrying flags and for about a year I have been lugging around one with a Spanish flag, nobody was interested in it. Last night, 3 different people from Spain demanded it. One Spaniard who missed out on it said a Cuban flag would do, because he was born there.

After that, it must have been Revived Spanish Empire Night because Venezuelans, Mexicans, Guatemalans, and Hondurans all showed up wanting flags. I've got work to do.

21apr21.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Got a brewery show in Birmingham in a few hours. Broke out my old Texas tshirt that I figured I'd be wearing as a Quixotic post-game gesture. Now it looks like I stand an even chance of getting jumped by some Gump. But that's OK, because my own genetic Bama-ness inclines me towards avoidable scraps even if they cost me money. Tshirt stays on.

Not that some art show crowd will be deep into football. But if they are, the Auburn people will think it's funny.

IMG_0917.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 9:22 PM, DougO said:

head.jpg

kids-in-the-hall-crushing-your-head-gif.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

Anybody ever tried scratchboard? We had a guy give a demo last night at our art club dinner. He spends an incredible amount of time on them, getting effects you wouldn't expect.

Anyway, he is also a rep for a scratchboard manufacturer, and my free Ampersand sample says it comes from Buda, so maybe some of y'all live close enough to swing by and visit. Kinda like the old Celis tours except you don't get free beer.

Work by Rick Plasters:

RickPlasters.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been hitting about 4 shows a month. Thought it would be exhausting, but it's not bad. The key is keeping it in the right gear.

At the little shows, the tiny baseball card sketches ensure a profit. They aren't the biggest hitter in total, but they supply a steady "sure thing" amount of cash that adds up. They are literally scraps left over from cutting paper for other projects, and the cruder the drawing, the faster they sell. Not lawyer money but way better than Walmart Assistant Manager money.

So I have a steady government job (ie jury duty) starting up in October. Wonder if I can sneak a handful of blank baseball cards in there and sketch on them during dead times. I'm talkin bout double dippin.

• Haha 1

I like to get art when I travel. Everyday, it reminds me of the places we’ve been.

Oil on canvas from Chicago in 2002

F16CBE8B-4783-47D4-867F-8A824182B535.thumb.jpeg.c7224c5b47140606a99272e38743dd30.jpeg

Oil on canvas from Whistler in 2002. This one is two separate paintings. Both are wrap around mounted and intended to be hung adjacent to each other. 

9556EFE2-DD16-4B0F-938F-6F689E269D42.thumb.jpeg.e7a14ac84636e47e4378915e35139b23.jpeg

Cubist signed print. Wish I could afford an original from the artist. Originals were running north of $15k 15 years ago. Got this in Chicago in 2002 on same trip as the first painting. Love me some cubism.

6F44C978-78ED-477E-8D8B-69F504812828.thumb.jpeg.3b9a7be6afda6dbee1b644b391659924.jpeg

Oil on fiberglass from Portland, ME in 2016

AA66ACAA-CB99-4BC6-9F35-8EE4C595641B.thumb.jpeg.bbba0a4c1f873e80cf424a9595802d25.jpeg

Two marble mosaics from Florence Italy. Got them on two separate trips from same place in 2012 and 2013.

55D198A1-CA4F-46D9-B52A-E44E1B5FBABF.thumb.jpeg.d4343e75adc183271298c5efe4785a52.jpeg

6B904A5D-8318-437C-AD4C-5483270EE266.thumb.jpeg.be828ddb8e7ed04c11ecdb36a941af89.jpeg

oil on canvas from Mougins France outside of Cannes

650EC1E9-E49B-42D2-B8B9-ABDADC82C08B.thumb.jpeg.ae023411d66ca8241eae1e5b83307021.jpeg

oil on canvas from Barcelona. Found it in a gallery across the street from the picasso museum. This one was only $100 but I really liked the digital pointillism style. The four spires are La Sagrada Familia.

FDCE7AE0-5C46-4F07-AF1B-C28EE54BE919.thumb.jpeg.d9e064db22b103fd8dea94a9816a7e77.jpeg

One oil and one spray paint from the same artist in Buenos Aires in 2016

CC6A222A-CC1D-4EB5-B56D-98E065214D82.thumb.jpeg.8f697c5931a07c438fcaba21ed3ba6e4.jpeg705F95AA-8787-4D7A-BB61-84B6E5126A30.thumb.jpeg.11c7bf7014d4888520a1bed8bda7c5f4.jpeg

Watercolor on silk from Prague in 2005

E4806A83-BF9E-49DA-9972-951F60497DD2.thumb.jpeg.f850ead665cd008e42c1bd7e977a7a12.jpeg

watercolors from Naxos Greece in 2002
F5F79F43-DA46-42B4-97D2-6EA41305AE5F.thumb.jpeg.63cffadf6a1b284f8f222079b9ae79e6.jpeg

watercolor from Santorini Greece in 2002
296F2564-F57B-4466-BBE2-883BF84822C0.thumb.jpeg.3d63b5aeda4b193d1270a39a437afd81.jpeg

Edited by GenXer
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

On 2/1/2022 at 3:57 PM, troph said:

Most touristy piece we have/greece

FE4FA8EF-C368-4831-BC1C-2C50D8F4F313.jpeg

rimi Yang bought this after my divorce something about her face captured me 

56D9BCD0-F4F8-41AA-A95D-7CC7C5D1C7FF.jpeg

I know exactly where you got that one in Greece. A gallery in Santorini in Fira. That series caught my eye. I picked up a watercolor there.

I dig that Rimi Yang. Reminds me of Klimt’s woman in gold.

You’ve got a good eye.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:35 PM, GenXer said:

I know exactly where you got that one in Greece. A gallery in Santorini in Fira. That series caught my eye. I picked up a watercolor there.

I dig that Rimi Yang. Reminds me of Klimt’s woman in gold.

You’ve got a good eye.

Thanks. About 60 days from getting to put all our art up on walls that they deserve. I’m getting excited.

yep santorini! That winery, art in the cave or some thing like that.

impressive collection yourself. We’ve only got one watercolor it was a west Texas piece from an artist sold out of the hotel there in Marfa in the bookstore. I like quality WCs.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1