2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

• 3 weeks later...

Small, but growing, chance there'll be limited to no high school football in my neck of the woods in Austin for the month of September.  Teacher-Coaches quietly telling our administration/board that they may walk out next semester.  Stay tuned.  

Yeah, not trying to CR this up.  I'm actually kinda in the middle on the whole topic like most Texans.  But had a foundation meeting on Monday.  Granted ours is as an elementary school with no football team.  But teachers from the high school discussed a walk-out strike possibly happening next September/October.  And then we discussed having our educational foundation tapping deeper into the corpus (one time thing) to cover non-comped teachers during those weeks/months as a show of solidarity...a chunk of whom are also football coaches (as well as other sports).  I don't think it'll be widespread and most coaches will continue coaching and just eat it on the classroom paycheck side to support their kids.  But there'll be enough that won't break ranks with their fellow teachers and there is a real chance (1 in 4 at this point) that will see football staffs not coach football.  I don't know if that means volunteer dads or what the fuck.  But there was a serious discussion at one of the football powerhouses of Texas earlier this week about not having a football coaching staff for a few weeks next season.  That's not nothing.  We can take it to another forum, but a very well known staff (not the head guy but upper level coaches) looked people in the eye and said to the effect of, "If this comes to pass, we are educators first and will stand appropriately."  I suspect we'll know one way or the other in about a month.  Just weird to think something like Friday Night Football in Texas, at least in some serious districts, may take a pause.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Small, but growing, chance there'll be limited to no high school football in my neck of the woods in Austin for the month of September.  Teacher-Coaches quietly telling our administration/board that they may walk out next semester.  Stay tuned.  

Totally not related, but as a “former” TXHSFB official, I’ve decided to, at a minimum, take this next season off. Too “short handed” in the SA area, so I’ll be actually adding to the problem. I’m still employed by my “real” job, but the days of working 3-5 days a week during the Fall got me “burnt out” last year.

The fact that I’ve done this for over multiple seasons, and actually aspired to officiate at collegiate level, was a tough choice. The “job” of officiating wasn’t any easier over the last two seasons, because of the abhorrent attitude of both coaches and fans. To be honest, the worst was at the Junior High level on both counts.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, blacklab said:

start a thread in CR if you want to discuss that please. 

Message received.  didn't know where to post it, it was just surreal listening to a room full of school officials and teachers and coaches talk about the possibility of a somewhat well-known football program not playing football for a few weeks next season.  Of course all the middle-aged has-been dads were talking in the parking lot about being volunteer coaches and all I can think was, "This would make a fucking fantastic Christopher Guest mockumentary."  

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Totally not related, but as a “former” TXHSFB official, I’ve decided to, at a minimum, take this next season off. Too “short handed” in the SA area, so I’ll be actually adding to the problem. I’m still employed by my “real” job, but the days of working 3-5 days a week during the Fall got me “burnt out” last year.

The fact that I’ve done this for over multiple seasons, and actually aspired to officiate at collegiate level, was a tough choice. The “job” of officiating wasn’t any easier over the last two seasons, because of the abhorrent attitude of both coaches and fans. To be honest, the worst was at the Junior High level on both counts.

Hook’em!!!

It’s really gotten out of hand, since Covid, that people think that they can just say what they want and when they want to. Nothing like some 20 something “whipper snapper” in his first post- college job at a Junior High arguing with a referee. It’s like dude, I know my job, and I know the rule book, I’m just trying to officiate your Wednesday night A and B games, but my crew is actually officiating Steele vs Judson on Friday night! I did treat all games with the same non-biased importance. They just don’t realize the difference b/t a 3-man crew (Junior High level) vs a full 7-man crew for Varsity levels.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 3

Brian Brazil passed away this morning. He was the head coach at Hebron from 1999 when the school opened through the 2021 season. He had retired from coaching to be the AD at Prestonwood Christian. He was also the president of the TXHSFB coaches association from 2011-12.

Besides all that he was a really good man. Hebron is planning to name their stadium after him this fall.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, msucolt45 said:

It’s really gotten out of hand, since Covid, that people think that they can just say what they want and when they want to. Nothing like some 20 something “whipper snapper” in his first post- college job at a Junior High arguing with a referee. It’s like dude, I know my job, and I know the rule book, I’m just trying to officiate your Wednesday night A and B games, but my crew is actually officiating Steele vs Judson on Friday night! I did treat all games with the same non-biased importance. They just don’t realize the difference b/t a 3-man crew (Junior High level) vs a full 7-man crew for Varsity levels.

Hook’em!!!

Thanks for what you do. As someone who has to deal with parents in our district, I concur that there lots of crazy, entitled ones. The kids are fine. 

On 7/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, msucolt45 said:

Hook’em!!!

Seems challenges for officials are being recognized.    Large increase in ejections.

HOUSTON — During a session at the annual Texas High School Coaches Association Convention where the University Interscholastic League updates some of the state's athletic directors, new athletic director Ray Zepeda showed an alarming number on a large screen.

During the session, Zepeda was talking about sportsmanship and showed that during the 2022-23 school year there were 3,199 total ejections during UIL contests. That number is up 50% over the last five years, and it is something that Zepeda later addressed during a session with the media at the annual gathering of the state's high school coaches.

Among the sports that were listed, 1,179 were recorded in soccer, 1,057 in football and 335 in baseball, and Zepeda said they have to work to change those numbers.

"I think you saw those numbers and it was a pretty good increase in the number of ejections whether it be athlete ejections from contests, or officials ejecting spectators from contests," Zepeda said. "We've seen a pretty dramatic rise over the past five years, and I think the data I presented showed that."

Zepeda said the UIL was working with coaches, athletic directors and officials associations to find out what can work to reduce those numbers, and during the session, Zepeda asked athletic directors to work with their coaches on sportsmanship and reacting to officials.

"This is educationally based athletics we have happening and it's hard to have positive outcomes when you don't have positive atmospheres," Zepeda said. "So we are going to start with ourselves first, with our coaches, with our member school districts to try to maybe police that up a little bit better.

It may be to have a specific strategy for coaching, sportsmanship not only with our athletes but also with their parents as well. We hope that's going to make a big difference."

Zepeda added also working closely with officials association to offer help where needed, and work to increase numbers as many official associations are seeing shortages.

"We are also going to lean into our official associations and see how can we better partner with them and work with them to get a better handle on the competitive atmospheres in and around our contests," Zepeda said.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/07/18/uil-officials-working-to-reduce-number-of-ejections-during-contests/70394557007/

It actually goes beyond the Admins to tell them to do what’s right. It was proposed last year that multiple ejections of coaches and/or players could possibly keep a school from participating in UIL playoffs.

It’s a “generational problem” that really escalated during and after the Covid time frame. The parents of these youngsters is something that the UIL can’t control, except to ban them from future events.

I know the Head of the UIL, Dr. Charles Breithaupt personally. Hell, he taught me Sunday school as a youngster and I have nothing but the most respect for him. Each school Admins, from the Junior High level to HS need to actually be “on site” for athletic events, in order to realize the problems they face. It’s definitely NOT a “minority” problem, as a vast majority of the school districts that I officiated, over the last couple years, would be those that would be considered “affluent” for the SA area.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve said enough and resigned my officiating position for this upcoming season. I’ve discussed this topic with so many retired coaches, my Dad included, as well as those that were held in very “high esteem” of the TXHS coaching ranks and I just told them that I’d take one year off, then reflect and go from there, as I do love TXHS Football and my portion as an a official over the years.

We are very “understaffed” state wide, so I’m actually contributing to the problem for 2023.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 3