Dumbass Shit We See On Facebook

Vic Mackey

19 hours ago, CHIEF said:

We eliminated the traditional foods about 3 years back, no one really liked turkey, dressing, etc... We usually do a prime rib roast, lamb chops, steaks, or burgers.

CHIEF

I tried to convert the usual family holiday menu to a smoked prime rib roast a couple of years ago, but it didn’t catch on.
Back to turkey & ham.

fml

17 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Who in the fuck turns down smoke prime rib for turkey?

Abraham Fucking Lincoln for one.  From Rachel Lauden, food historian and Senior Visiting Research Fellow in the Institute for Historical Studies at the University of Texas at Austin.

When Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, he, and the promoters of the holiday, were arguing for an inclusive meal that everyone could afford, and that could bring the country together. It took a while as the South as a whole did not participate until after Reconstruction.  When I first arrived in the United States, however, I was astonished at the power of the holiday, at the efforts that Americans would make to return home or to include those who had nowhere to go.

It’s easy to forget what a radical, though not unprecedented idea, such a political meal was. In an effort to understand this, three years ago, I published an article entitled Thanksgiving, Or How to Eat American Politics in the Boston Globe. The meal was designed as a deliberate repudiation of the formal meals of aristocracies, of state dinners, of fine restaurants.  All these were described as French, high French cuisine. They  excluded whole swathes of society: most women; all children; and everyone not wealthy enough to have the dress, the education, and the money that gave access to these traditional political gatherings.

By contrast, the Thanksgiving meal, with its plebeian vegetables, its sturdy pies, its rib-sticking dressing, and as the years wore on, increasingly inexpensive turkey was an ample meal made accessible by its relative ease of preparation and its affordable price.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fried Fish.  I'm not a big fried guy, plus they always use shitty rotgut fish.  There's a reason there's a chain of non-kid restaurants devoted to every single one of those foods except fried fish.  There's a reason there's only like 9 Long John Silver's left in Texas and we are a state that eats like a garbage disposal a lot of the time.  

48 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Fried Fish.  I'm not a big fried guy, plus they always use shitty rotgut fish.  There's a reason there's a chain of non-kid restaurants devoted to every single one of those foods except fried fish.  There's a reason there's only like 9 Long John Silver's left in Texas and we are a state that eats like a garbage disposal a lot of the time.  

This