Business Attire

I've had a couple of different Tom James associates contact me over the last couple of years (all smokeshow young blonde women) trying to get me to browse and buy their clothing. Are their suits worth the cost?  I have a couple nice matching suits, but nothing extravagant - typically i prefer to just pair a sports coat with slacks and nice button down.  

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

I've had a couple of different Tom James associates contact me over the last couple of years (all smokeshow young blonde women) trying to get me to browse and buy their clothing. Are their suits worth the cost?  I have a couple nice matching suits, but nothing extravagant - typically i prefer to just pair a sports coat with slacks and nice button down.  

Years ago, their suits were Hart, Schaffner & Marx, including the Hickey Freeman line, which are or were quite decent suits.  You are paying pretty much full-boat retail though, but you don't have to shop. YMMV.   One thing that they did/do offer not conventionally available at retail is different sized pants/coats and second pairs of trousers for a suit.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I'd guess around $500.  I looked up Hart, Schaffner, Marx and they are Dillard's/Nordstrom suits still, so pretty decent.  That is, if my info is still valid and that's what Tom James sells.  It has been 20 plus years since I paid attention.

I am quite sure that there are better values out there, but you have to shop.  If you hate shopping, I think there's value there.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'd guess around $500.  I looked up Hart, Schaffner, Marx and they are Dillard's/Nordstrom suits still, so pretty decent.  That is, if my info is still valid and that's what Tom James sells.  It has been 20 plus years since I paid attention.

I am quite sure that there are better values out there, but you have to shop.  If you hate shopping, I think there's value there.

You can also get HSM made to measure which is essentially what you are getting from Tom James.  They come to M Penner at least twice a year and I'm sure they hit up quite a few other places.  I bought a Tom James suit years ago and thought the quality was crap.  

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

You can also get HSM made to measure which is essentially what you are getting from Tom James.  They come to M Penner at least twice a year and I'm sure they hit up quite a few other places.  I bought a Tom James suit years ago and thought the quality was crap.  

• Like 1

Love their shirts and sports coats. Never gotten a suit though. Pricy but worth the convenience and the rep was so hot there was pretty much no way to not buy anything.

Unfortunately she quit last year.

Most of the coats start around $6-700. Shirts I believe are $150-200. I'd imagine the suits are $1k and up.

how often do yall rip yall shirts? 

even so, unless intended use is (manual labor) workwear,  its strange to judge qualities of clothing based on durability.  

fine fabrics rip.  the finer and thinner, the easier, in fact.  so if its about longevity of clothing, i'd argue cheaper ones last longer than expensive ones.  

sure for the same shirting type (weave and yarn count) maybe 1 brand will use a higher quality mill than another, but largely the differences come into the pattern matching, the construction of the collars, stitching, buttons, sizing/pattern, etc.  that's what your money pays for 

Also the laundry you use and whether you get starch has a big influence on shirt durability.

And yeah, the above is right.  But an expensive, high-thread count thin fabric will be more durable, typically, than a cheap one.  Broadcloth will be more delicate than pinpoint than oxford.  But a high-quality broadcloth may outlast a cheap oxford.

Edited by TwiceHorn

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also the laundry you use and whether you get starch has a big influence on shirt durability.

Good point, esp on the starch.  

Wash with the collars flat (not folded), so the edge doesnt abrade.  

I tell the woman to do it on low temperature, and then she hang-dries all our stuff

24 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Good point, esp on the starch.  

Wash with the collars flat (not folded), so the edge doesnt abrade.  

I tell the woman to do it on low temperature, and then she hang-dries all our stuff

Had a problem with elbows ripping in my nicer shirts after several months. Went in and talked to one of the sales guys and that is what he recommended with one exception. He said to dry them for a few minutes and then hang them to dry the rest of the way. He said dry cleaning, starch, and drying all the way break down the fabric and basically dry rot it. 

5 hours ago, Brew said:

Had a problem with elbows ripping in my nicer shirts after several months. Went in and talked to one of the sales guys and that is what he recommended with one exception. He said to dry them for a few minutes and then hang them to dry the rest of the way. He said dry cleaning, starch, and drying all the way break down the fabric and basically dry rot it. 

From what I've learned it's the constant shrinking and swelling of the fibers that break em down fast.  Starch swells them, drying shrinks.  A lot of laundries have starch even in their "no starch" batches.  Also commercial pressing machines can be very tough on them and the buttons.  Ideally, you have someone that washes and then damp irons them at home.

My boss buys quite a bit from Tom James rep. Our VP just recently broke down finally and ordered some stuff from her. He's not happy at all (sizing was all fucked up) -- and it ain't cheap. Pretty sure it was north of $1K for the entry-level suit from them. And our rep isn't overly hot so no rush to have her come in for me. It is convenient, I guess.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

My boss buys quite a bit from Tom James rep. Our VP just recently broke down finally and ordered some stuff from her. He's not happy at all (sizing was all fucked up) -- and it ain't cheap. Pretty sure it was north of $1K for the entry-level suit from them. And our rep isn't overly hot so no rush to have her come in for me. It is convenient, I guess.

Yeah, I was gonna say, some of them probably aren't any good at measuring, etc. And tailoring can probably vary some.

• 2 months later...