Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

While Colorado flirts with exit, Pac-12 commish continues urging patience on TV deal

LAS VEGAS — Colorado athletic director Rick George swiftly left the main stage at Pac-12 football media day on Friday only to be met by a handful of inquisitive reporters.

For months now, Colorado’s future as a member of the Pac-12 has been in doubt. George and his chancellor, Phil DiStefano, have left open the possibility that the school could pursue other league suitors, such as the Big 12, if the Pac-12’s impending television deal isn’t satisfactory.

Naturally, at media day, reporters were interested in learning more.

“I’ve got a flight to catch!” George bellowed.

Fleet-footed and faster than he looks, George pivoted, turning a corner and disappearing down a dark hallway, eventually exiting this glamorous monstrosity, Resorts World Las Vegas, and heading out into the 100-degree temperatures of The Strip.

It’s true. George had a flight to catch, and he was already running behind, in jeopardy of missing his jet. We’ve all been there, rushing to the airport in a panicked hurry. However, this scene encapsulated the Pac-12’s hairy situation — one of its most respected administrators escaping from a pack of reporters into the desert heat.

For eight hours here at their annual celebration of the upcoming season, commissioner George Kliavkoff and Co. attempted to shift focus on actual football. After all, the conference boasts the most talented crop of returning quarterbacks in the country (led by Heisman winner Caleb Williams); possesses at least one College Football Playoff contender in USC (for at least one more year); features fun, offensive wizards like Kalen DeBoer (Washington) and Chip Kelly (UCLA); and includes the country’s most buzzworthy hire of the offseason (Deion Sanders, though he missed media day while undergoing surgery).

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff speaks at the NCAA college football Pac-12 media day Friday, July 21, 2023, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Lucas Peltier)

And yet, for a second consecutive year at this event, the league’s uncertain future and continued instability lingered like the new Vegas Sphere — ominous and unavoidable.

Standing at the podium on the main stage, Kliavkoff fielded a peppering of questions and, to his credit, offered answers to them all.

No, he said, the Pac-12 media deal is not finalized. Yes, the Pac-12’s media deal will be a strong one that, he says, has grown stronger the longer the league has waited. No, he’s not concerned about losing any current Pac-12 members. Yes, he is aware of the now year-long narrative about his league, that the Pac-12 is on the way to a collapse.

“I know where the sources of that are coming from,” he said. “I discount that because I know the truth.”

For many of us, the only real known truth about the Pac-12’s media negotiations is … nothing. Speculation has run rampant, but the talks have been cloaked in secrecy. Kliavkoff has been tight with details, even with his own constituents. Some take that as an ominous sign. Others say it’s quite normal.

On Thursday, Pac-12 presidents and administrators met for what turned out to be another limited update on the progress of negotiations, multiple sources confirmed to Yahoo Sports — a disappointment considering the Colorado chancellor’s public comments earlier this week. DiStefano told the Denver Post that figures for a potential TV contract were expected to be shared Thursday.

That was never the case, according to those within the league.

Why did DiStefano make such a comment? Was he using it as a tool to put pressure on the commissioner? Some believe that to be the case.

Impatience is growing.

“We need to see numbers,” said one conference official.

Some things are known.

In his main address Friday, Kliavkoff confirmed that a grant-of-rights between the 10 current members has been negotiated and will be announced alongside a TV deal, whenever one is finalized (the expectation is an uneven revenue distribution similar to the ACC’s new model). Also, league members continue to lean away from the idea of expanding beyond 10 schools, potentially leaving out San Diego State and SMU which are considered the top expansion targets.

But perhaps the Pac-12 deal is on the cusp of completion. In an interesting comment during his opening address, Kliavkoff may have offered a window into the timeline.

“We are not announcing the TV deal today on purpose because I want the focus to be on football,” he said.

Does that mean it is done? He told the questioner that they were “reading too much into” his statement.

Alas, the clock is ticking. A handful of Pac-12 presidents have, over the past several months, announced public deadlines for a TV deal’s completion only to see them pass. And a sitting chancellor publicly pressuring his commissioner isn’t ideal.

These are self-inflicted wounds from a league already battered from the outside. The Big 12’s pursuit of Pac-12 schools is real, though many believe that only one school has reciprocated the interest: Colorado.

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark’s courtship of the Buffaloes is alive and well. Their dance will continue, likely until Kliavkoff produces a TV contract that is either good enough to keep CU or bad enough to see it go.

“It’s not a concern,” Kliavkoff said of possible defectors.

Maybe he’s right not to fear the loss of a member school. Or maybe he’s wrong.

George’s swift exit Friday speaks for itself.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

Why do we hold this Arizona jack-off up as some paragon of truth? He has been wrong about Arizona joining the Big 12 imminently, and just the other day he said "I like Jon." 

Because he’s the only honest one out west, John.  He was talking about Jon Wilner, not you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is it a money thing with Colorado? They had to give Deion an IOU. It feels like they're gone, but there's something tying them down.

Money thing - waiting to see a final number so they know who's got the better offer. 

it looks like kliavkoff's strategy is to burn it to the ground so he gets paid as long as possible

there is no deal to announce that will keep the league together - therefore don't announce any deal at all

he's just going to say "2 weeks" until there is no more money or someone blinks and says fuck it we have to get paid and leaves

his last hail mary is the 12 US Senators from the 6 PACX states getting involved - if one leaves, at least a second will too, and then shaka, when the walls fell

+++

something we haven't seen or heard anything about is the Rose Bowl Committee and their Celebration of Special-ness which is now on life support

they along with domer cost us 15 years without a true playoff - wonder how they're feeling about all this

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There are probably a few on the Colorado board who are resisting the move.  If they continue to wait on the new "contract" they may find out that they are due for 6 more years of falling further behind in revenue compared to the Big 12.  Other than Stanford, and possibly Oregon the rest of the Pac is bleeding red ink in their athletic departments.  How mush longer an a school do this without major cutbacks?

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Plausible Deniability

if you leave before you have the excuse of a terrible deal, you will be blamed by everyone left behind because you will have blown up the non-existent viable deal

Agreed, and there's also an internal CU component.

At least judging by their 247 board, a majority of their fans don't want to go back to the B12, so CU's admin is going to want to portray this as a move of necessity where they didn't have a choice.

Side note- most of that same majority of their fans on the 247 board are also completely delusional.  The realists all want to go B12.

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it looks like kliavkoff's strategy is to burn it to the ground so he gets paid as long as possible

there is no deal to announce that will keep the league together - therefore don't announce any deal at all

he's just going to say "2 weeks" until there is no more money or someone blinks and says fuck it we have to get paid and leaves

his last hail mary is the 12 US Senators from the 6 PACX states getting involved - if one leaves, at least a second will too, and then shaka, when the walls fell

+++

something we haven't seen or heard anything about is the Rose Bowl Committee and their Celebration of Special-ness which is now on life support

they along with domer cost us 15 years without a true playoff - wonder how they're feeling about all this

Wtf are Senators going to do? They cant force anything on anyone other than bitching and moaning in a public forum.

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

+++

100% correct on Klownkoff's strategy.  He was brought in with one job- land the next media deal.  He's failed miserably because he misread USC's intentions (despite public statements from the AD about those intentions), and he misread the PAC's value during the initial negotiations with ESPN and Fox.  

Now he's trying to salvage his career by stalling until a couple of schools leave, then blame them leaving as the reason he couldn't get a deal done.  "We had a great deal lined up that we were just about to close until CU and UA left......."

The PAC Presidents have never seen an actual deal.  They just repeat whatever Klownkoff tells them.  According to the Athletic, only one other person is in the room with him from the PAC side for the meetings with media companies.  That would be his old college buddy who is completely unqualified for the job, and who is 100% loyal to Klownkoff.  

The PAC Presidents are getting played yet again by a total grifter feeding them BS, and he's going to keep this going as long as possible.  

What a bunch of rubes.  At least now we know that Klownkoff, like Larry Scott, is good at one thing.

//

Rose Bowl gave up the ghost a few months ago.  They're going to just be part of the playoff moving forward.

I think we could see the Rose and Sugar as permanent semifinal playoff games once schools realize they want to play the quarterfinals on campus. 

Edited by USC Traveler
  • Hook 'Em 1

Friday Klownkov Made it sound like the PACX members Had already signed away their GOR. He walked that back a little bit today. He really pissed CU off Friday. https://247sports.com/article/pac-12-commissioner-george-kliavkoff-merton-hanks-partner-with-big-12-brett-yormark-usc-ucla-oregon-213140824/

Screenshot_20230725_000125_Chrome.jpg

Edited by CustersDoctor
Spelling
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

Friday Klownkov Made it sound like the PACX members Had already signed away their GOR. He walked that back a little bit today. He really pissed CU off Friday. https://247sports.com/article/pac-12-commissioner-george-kliavkoff-merton-hanks-partner-with-big-12-brett-yormark-usc-ucla-oregon-213140824/

Screenshot_20230725_000125_Chrome.jpg

Who the hell is going to sign a GoR without seeing the numbers? What a shit-show.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm starting to wonder if bringing in a couple of these mensa schools is a wise move for the Big 12.  Either these university presidents are in the loop and are indecisive making really poor decisions, or they are out of the loop and completely ineffectual in overseeing and participating in the business of the conference.  Either way...are these  ineffectual and indecisive leaders the type of partners the Big 12 would want to have as it's trying to be more innovative and nimble in promoting its brand and the brands of its members?

I'm seriously thinking bringing in a CU, AZ, Ute, or whoever would be like tying an anchor to the conference just as its trying to establish and promote its innovative and creative approach to modern collegiate athletics.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I'm starting to wonder if bringing in a couple of these mensa schools is a wise move for the Big 12.  Either these university presidents are in the loop and are indecisive making really poor decisions, or they are out of the loop and completely ineffectual in overseeing and participating in the business of the conference.  Either way...are these  ineffectual and indecisive leaders the type of partners the Big 12 would want to have as it's trying to be more innovative and nimble in promoting its brand and the brands of its members?

I'm seriously thinking bringing in a CU, AZ, Ute, or whoever would be like tying an anchor to the conference just as its trying to establish and promote its innovative and creative approach to modern collegiate athletics.

I'm not worried about it, because it's pretty obvious to me that they're all going to commit suicide together in the name of cultural unity and academic snobbery.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not worried about it, because it's pretty obvious to me that they're all going to commit suicide together in the name of cultural unity and academic snobbery.

If they stay together as 10, i think they can survive in their own bubble, enjoying the bubble.

If Oregon and Washington leave all bets are off.

13 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

If they stay together as 10, i think they can survive in their own bubble, enjoying the bubble.

If Oregon and Washington leave all bets are off.

It depends on what you mean by "survive".

If they're all committed to their academic circle jerk, they can make playing each other work indefinitely.  What's going to happen is their recruiting will plummet due to the lack of either exposure or money that's going to come with their deal, they're never going to get more than one team into the playoffs, will probably never advance, and will essentially fall off the public radar.  They will be the #5 conference quickly, with a large gap between them and the Big 12 and ACC.

They'll survive in their bubble, but they'll be so far below everyone else that they'll almost be removing themselves from the scene voluntarily.  That's what I mean by suicide.  No one other than their die-hard fans will subscribe to watch those games, and they don't have many die-hard fans.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

Yes it is wise, because doing so would either deal a death blow to the Pac12 or relegate them to G6 status, thus serving as a boost to the Big 12 and contributing to conference stability as #3.

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

Yes it is wise, because doing so would either deal a death blow to the Pac12 or relegate them to G6 status, thus serving as a boost to the Big 12 and contributing to conference stability as #3.

But would it?

These "leaders" have overseen misstep after misstep by the Pac 12/10.  They have been a part of it.  Now we bring in a couple of them or more and we expect them to change their ways?  It's akin to locker room culture.  Coaches these days when evaluating transfer portal prospects not only have to consider the athlete's abilities, but also the impact that person may have on the culture and cohesiveness of the team.

Maybe I'm treating them unfairly due to guilt by association, but at the end of the day, the commissioner reports to the presidents.  Pac 12 failure is on the presidents, and I'm seeing 10 university presidents who seem completely incapable of making decisions, much less smart ones.  Maybe it's by design and a couple of these presidents are playing 4D chess, but I doubt it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

But would it?

These "leaders" have overseen misstep after misstep by the Pac 12/10.  They have been a part of it.  Now we bring in a couple of them or more and we expect them to change their ways?  It's akin to locker room culture.  Coaches these days when evaluating transfer portal prospects not only have to consider the athlete's abilities, but also the impact that person may have on the culture and cohesiveness of the team.

Maybe I'm treating them unfairly due to guilt by association, but at the end of the day, the commissioner reports to the presidents.  Pac 12 failure is on the presidents, and I'm seeing 10 university presidents who seem completely incapable of making decisions, much less smart ones.  Maybe it's by design and a couple of these presidents are playing 4D chess, but I doubt it.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Yormark has publicly stressed "fit".  The current Big 12 has a lot of common "fit" to it.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

But would it?

You are correct that it certainly seems that way. However, until they have actual numbers and not some type of “sun will come out tomorrow” bullshit fantasy, how can they really take action either way?

They have to have numbers before they can lay their chips on the table. 

Where this turns into maggot-ridden bullshit is GK keeping that “soon” carrot always just in front of them, yet out of reach.

Their preference is to stay, it’s the easier road. And until they either see the writing on the wall, or have actual numbers, none of them will be willing to be the one to kill it off by leaving prematurely.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

You are correct that it certainly seems that way. However, until they have actual numbers and not some type of “sun will come out tomorrow” bullshit fantasy, how can they really take action either way?

They have to have numbers before they can lay their chips on the table. 

Where this turns into maggot-ridden bullshit is GK keeping that “soon” carrot always just in front of them, yet out of reach.

Their preference is to stay, it’s the easier road. And until they either see the writing on the wall, or have actual numbers, none of them will be willing to be the one to kill it off by leaving prematurely.

I mean, at this point it's pretty obvious that they're never going to see a deal.  They could set an actual dead line and hold George to it, but they don't.

They know what they'll get for $ and exposure in the Big 12, and they're fine getting less of both so they don't have to say they play sports in places with Republican governors.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean, at this point it's pretty obvious that they're never going to see a deal.  They could set an actual dead line and hold George to it, but they don't.

They know what they'll get for $ and exposure in the Big 12, and they're fine getting less of both so they don't have to say they play sports in places with Republican governors.

It's an interesting thing to watch play out.  I think Cal and Stanford are leaning to just being the West Coast version of the Ivy League, and CU is having an identity crisis on that front because they want to be in a Cal-Stanford Ivy League but at the same time they aren't willing to throw in the towel on the money sports.  UU is delusional in thinking they can have both.  Oregon and Udub just want to bide their time until a Big 10 invite comes along.  ASU has a bit of CU identity crisis happening, but to a lesser degree.  I honestly think Arizona knows what's best but is hesitant to make the move, and OSU and WSU are just praying it stays together because they literally have no other options other than to be relegated to G5.

I never thought I would see the day where there was a more dysfunctional athletic conference than that of the Big 12 back when Beebe was in charge, but here we are.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It depends on what you mean by "survive".

If they're all committed to their academic circle jerk, they can make playing each other work indefinitely.  What's going to happen is their recruiting will plummet due to the lack of either exposure or money that's going to come with their deal, they're never going to get more than one team into the playoffs, will probably never advance, and will essentially fall off the public radar.  They will be the #5 conference quickly, with a large gap between them and the Big 12 and ACC.

They'll survive in their bubble, but they'll be so far below everyone else that they'll almost be removing themselves from the scene voluntarily.  That's what I mean by suicide.  No one other than their die-hard fans will subscribe to watch those games, and they don't have many die-hard fans.

They don't really get a lot of exposure as it is and still put together recruiting classes and field teams.   And, I'm not sure why you think they'd only get one team in with 12.   There may be a cage match this year with Oregon, Washington, Utah and USC, with UCLA a definite spoiler.  Remove the LA schools and they could still get multiple teams in the playoffs just as well as the B12 or ACC could.   They're not getting three, but they've got the properties to fight for 2.

Their issue is very basic:

• Keeping Oregon and Washington.    Without them all of this conjuncture changes over night.
  • Ridding themselves of the PacNet.

If Oregon/Washington can't commit, there isn't enough to hold it together.   If the Pac needs to keep supporting a handful of floundering linear stations they can't grow, then they'll never be able to maximize revenue.

If those two things can be solved the rest is simple.   

4 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

They don't really get a lot of exposure as it is and still put together recruiting classes and field teams.   And, I'm not sure why you think they'd only get one team in with 12.   There may be a cage match this year with Oregon, Washington, Utah and USC, with UCLA a definite spoiler.  Remove the LA schools and they could still get multiple teams in the playoffs just as well as the B12 or ACC could.   They're not getting three, but they've got the properties to fight for 2.

Their issue is very basic:

• Keeping Oregon and Washington.    Without them all of this conjuncture changes over night.
  • Ridding themselves of the PacNet.

If Oregon/Washington can't commit, there isn't enough to hold it together.   If the Pac needs to keep supporting a handful of floundering linear stations they can't grow, then they'll never be able to maximize revenue.

If those two things can be solved the rest is simple.   

I don’t think ORWA have a Big 10 option.  I’m not sure how long it will take them to acknowledge that.

If they don’t end up with ESPN or Fox, their exposure will be a lot less than it is.  That’s going to harm them in the future.  It’s effect won’t be there next year or the year after, but being mostly streaming is a disadvantage.

All of those schools can do just fine, but there’s a reason they don’t have a deal and a lot of it comes down to fan apathy.  There’s no reason they couldn’t all just embrace college sports and have a really solid league with those properties, but it seems like that ship has sailed.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don’t think ORWA have a Big 10 option.  I’m not sure how long it will take them to acknowledge that.

If they don’t end up with ESPN or Fox, their exposure will be a lot less than it is.  That’s going to harm them in the future.  It’s effect won’t be there next year or the year after, but being mostly streaming is a disadvantage.

All of those schools can do just fine, but there’s a reason they don’t have a deal and a lot of it comes down to fan apathy.  There’s no reason they couldn’t all just embrace college sports and have a really solid league with those properties, but it seems like that ship has sailed.

I agree with all that.   They're in a bad place being wedged into a geographic corner.  If you're going to be wedged in, be wedged into the east, not the west.

They do have enough sluggers though to get into the post season without USC.   That's the interesting side angle to this moving to 12 thing.   Most of the conversation is about who is going to dominate it.   But there are going to be a lot of teams who start getting exposure they never had before in the B12 and Pac.   Most brands are built over decades so, like Oregon 20-30 years ago, or FSU/Miami before them in the 80s-90s, someone is going to start getting a lot more eyeballs if they can take advantage of their situation.

8 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

If the Pac does a deal with apple, it’s all or nothing. Apple doesn’t want just a piece. 

They got 1m subscribers to MLS, mostly by financing it off the clubs paying for season ticket holders and then bringing in Messi. which brought in 300k new subscribers alone.   Kind of agree they won't want to give away the big games.   I think its far more likely they buy the PacNet and turn it into AppleSports to show MLS/MLB/Pac's biggest games for carriage than selling off the stuff people want to see.   The trick is not losing your streaming audience in the process of gaining linear.

So its is 100% online/PAC12N through Apple or a patchwork without Apple.

If that is the case, this is actually pretty huge news. Either take the $$ Apple is offering at the cost of exposure through traditional media channels (which seems to be an extremely important expectation for the 4 corner schools at a min) or concede that Apple is out and so there is no real big name/big fish out there to be used as the supposed stalking horse to drag out the timeframe for the Pac12 TV deal.

Apple just dropped their nuts on the table and said take our deal and we are done fucking around while you use us for your games of internal politics.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

They got 1m subscribers to MLS, mostly by financing it off the clubs paying for season ticket holders and then bringing in Messi. which brought in 300k new subscribers alone.   Kind of agree they won't want to give away the big games.   I think its far more likely they buy the PacNet and turn it into AppleSports to show MLS/MLB/Pac's biggest games for carriage than selling off the stuff people want to see.   The trick is not losing your streaming audience in the process of gaining linear.

I wonder if that includes people who get it for free through things like T-Mobile.  I have MLS for free even though I have never watched it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Apple just dropped their nuts on the table and said take our deal and we are done fucking around while you use us for your games of internal politics.

Pretty similar to what ESPN and Fox did last year when the Pac decided to roll the dice and take it to market.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I wonder if that includes people who get it for free through things like T-Mobile.  I have MLS for free even though I have never watched it.

It does, all the season ticket holders got it for free too, but, like yours, someone paid for it - even if it was bought in bulk on a discount.

I am so over this WAC10 or 8 or whatever nonsense.

Bottom line is, the conference formally known as the PAC is F-U-C-T period. Klownikoff is pulling the old “the check is in the mail” garbage, and the moron schools are buying it. Somebody needed to grow a pair and say “screw this, we’re doing what is in our school’s best interest” (like USC and ucla did) and jump ship before the deadline. They are not getting a deal worth a damn, short of some billionaire stroking out and writing a humongous check. UO & UW are realistically the only schools that would warrant an invite to the big boys table. The rest of the WAC10 brings minimal real value, maybe, MAYBE potential eyeballs during an occasional hot run.

So IF Apple is offering an All or Nothing deal, it must be pretty good. Like a 6 year 1.8bill offer and maybe some cash for the PACX streaming system and studios. A lack of exposure won't be the only real problem. If Apple is buying all the rights, then they will want all the scheduling autonomy. If you're Apple and you made the bid that held the PACX together then you're going to tell the schools what time their game is and on what day they're playing. Thursday, Friday, Saturday- noon, afternoon, late game. Apple will be your overlord.

Conference contracts usually guarantee that even the worst school with the worst TV footprint will still get a couple of good slots each season. Apple is going to say, "If you want our money, you'll accept our scheduling'.

I guess I don't follow closely enough. But I would think that the PAC Network or whatever it is called would be easily dissolved. Hardly any platform carries it, it must be a money loser for everyone. Get over the lost cost fallacy, shoot your network in the head and sell the whole rights to Apple. I doubt there is a better deal for the Pac 10. 

7 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

I guess I don't follow closely enough. But I would think that the PAC Network or whatever it is called would be easily dissolved. Hardly any platform carries it, it must be a money loser for everyone. Get over the lost cost fallacy, shoot your network in the head and sell the whole rights to Apple. I doubt there is a better deal for the Pac 10. 

1. They literally have a $100,000,000 tied up in it. 2. It actually functions really well and looks good. 3. They have a lot of tie ins. Like it comes with some cable packages and its free on a lot of cell phone plans. 4. Streaming really will be a big thing someday and the PACX will rue the day if they torch it.

2 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

1. They literally have a $100,000,000 tied up in it. 2. It actually functions really well and looks good. 3. They have a lot of tie ins. Like it comes with some cable packages and its free on a lot of cell phone plans. 4. Streaming really will be a big thing someday and the PACX will rue the day if they torch it.

$100M doesn't sound like a lot. Split 12 ways? Is that really it?