Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If the 10-2 Big 12 champ played competitive games (or won) against Ohio State or Michigan, I don't think they're getting left out. If they schedule Incarnate Word, Long Island, and a directional Louisiana school while getting a bullshit draw in the Big 12 and win a weak conference at 10-2? Yeah.... I think that a 9-3 Big 10 or SEC team is probably better than them. 

Does ND get in with 2 losses and playing service academies/Tn State/Central Mich?  Because you know damned well they'll get voted in

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 4

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Because god forbid we get the actual best 12 teams into the playoffs. And god forbid we actually make non-SEC and non-Big 10 teams play competitive games in their out of conference schedule to boost their playoff resume instead of having Baylor play Long fucking Island.

And this. All of this.

Only if you see the 12 team playoff as being intended to get the 12 best teams into the playoffs. I think it was intended to get the 8 best teams into the playoffs and placate the rest and avoid antitrust litigation. If you are a 16 team person then you will argue all day for 12 but if you are a 6 team or 8 team max teams in the playoffs person then the 12 team solution was genius.

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If the 10-2 Big 12 champ played competitive games (or won) against Ohio State or Michigan, I don't think they're getting left out. If they schedule Incarnate Word, Long Island, and a directional Louisiana school while getting a bullshit draw in the Big 12 and win a weak conference at 10-2? Yeah.... I think that a 9-3 Big 10 or SEC team is probably better than them. 

Ok, now do 2023 Georgia schedule.

• Hook 'Em 6

13 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Who is still doing this?  This hasn't been a thing in awhile for the vast majority of Big 12 schools.  I see this talking point routinely on this board and it doesn't jive with reality at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If it were up to me, I would say something like:

4 auto bids to the P4 conferences

2 G5 autobids provided that the conference champs finish in the top 15 - if not, then those bids become at large bids

6 at large bids for the highest ranked non conference teams. 

16 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

4 for P4
1 for highest G5 champ in top 15
7 at large

Think setting a top 15 bar for the G5 champ autobid(s) will probably get the antitrust lawsuit machine a rumbling. Setting that standard would have boxed out Tulane last year and honestly with the way the committee has been voting recently see that very much as false hope, will always put enough "top brands" ahead to box the G5 champs out of the top 15. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Who is still doing this?  This hasn't been a thing in awhile for the vast majority of Big 12 schools.  I see this talking point routinely on this board and it doesn't jive with reality at this point.

Dude he keeps bringing this up over and over again no matter how many times it's shown to be complete bullshit. Best to just ignore and move on.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

Yes, seriously.

Any 9-3 team from the B1G or SEC deserves to be in the playoffs over any 2024 Big 12 team. 

Bullshit.  That may be one of the dumbest takes on here, and that is saying something.   SEC and BIG are top heavy, and deciding on just 8 conference games and having the possibility of not even playing the best in the conference for YEARS proves this statement false.

Maybe your point would be more valid if they were forced to play the same amount of conference games the Big 12 is playing, and not be allowed to schedule the November cupcake game to rest and heal their starters.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, statsman said:

Georgia plays Auburn, Florida, Ol Miss, Tennessee…

What’s the problem?

Granted it's not OU easy, but still...

2023 Georgia football schedule

• Sept. 2 UT MARTIN
  • Sept. 9 BALL STATE
  • Sept. 16 SOUTH CAROLINA
  • Sept. 23 UAB
  • Sept. 30 at Auburn
  • Oct. 7 KENTUCKY
  • Oct. 14 at Vanderbilt
  • Oct. 21 Open Date
  • Oct. 28 vs. Florida (Jacksonville)
  • Nov. 4 MISSOURI
  • Nov. 11 OLE MISS
  • Nov. 18 at Tennessee
  • Nov. 25 at Georgia Tech
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

No--they're not going to make every home game a night game.  But I expect they will have USC and UCLA playing a lot more night games than they currently do.

But between USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon, someone is going to be playing a late-night game every Saturday.  

Remember though, ESPN isn't a part of the B1G media package.   Pac After Dark is an ESPN construct.   Fox could put late night games on FS1, or more likely BTN, but these slots are not THAT valuable, they're just more valuable to ESPN than airing bowling.     Oregon/Indiana, prime time in Oregon, so late on the east coast, is a perfect BTN game and a good way to pay $30m a year.   I doubt USC will play an evening west coast game, but will play a lot of prime-time east coast slots, e.g. 4:30 pt.

The B12 is in bed with ESPN, so I'd expect a lot of filler 4C games to end up later, like Iowa State at ASU or Kansas at BYU or Utah.   They don't have enough to fill them all, however, so the MWC will fill that niche very well with Oregon State and Washington State vs SDSU/Fresno/Boise.   That could maybe even get some juice like Maction does on Tuesdays.   If Stanford/Cal slide into that bed it just gets a bit better.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Because god forbid we get the actual best 12 teams into the playoffs. And god forbid we actually make non-SEC and non-Big 10 teams play competitive games in their

out of conference schedule to boost their playoff resume instead of having Baylor play Long fucking Island.

So let's:

• Remove any benefit from playing an FCS opponent, e.g. does not count as a win on the record
  • Force the ACC/B1G/B12/SEC to play a minimum of 10 P4 games a season. allowing 2 regional FBS/G5 games
  • Playing more than 10 either provides a bonus or provides a safety net as only your best 10 games are rated, with the other two being tie breakers.

Not doing that bars you from participation in the CFP.   Then everyone's resume would be at least slightly similar.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

So let's:

• Remove any benefit from playing an FCS opponent, e.g. does not count as a win on the record
  • Force the ACC/B1G/B12/SEC to play a minimum of 10 P4 games a season. allowing 2 regional FBS/G5 games
  • Playing more than 10 either provides a bonus or provides a safety net as only your best 10 games are rated, with the other two being tie breakers.

Not doing that bars you from participation in the CFP.   Then everyone's resume would be at least slightly similar.

Your suggestion is lucid, intelligent, and well-thought out.

BIG & SEC:  Overruled.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

So let's:

Sounds great to me.  I hate the FCS game ISU plays.

• Like 1

renaming it the Pac4 sucks lol it shows they lost the whole fucking conference. 
Just dissolve both into a new named conference if the Pac teams don't wanna be Mountain West. I think Mountain West is a cool name. Pac whatever was always lame just like BIG is lame. The big12 had 10 schools now 16 soon to be 14. The Pac12 and Big10 haven't had those amount of schools in forever. Those names all sucked. 

Confused. When the PAC went from 10 to 12, they changed the name to PAC 12. It has 12 this season
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Sounds great to me.  I hate the FCS game ISU plays.

Same with me for Tech.  We have no business playing Tarleton St. this year, or ACU or SHSU* or SFA in previous years.

*SHSU does have a national championship at least.  But still, P5 should not be playing FCS period.

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I do not understand this desire to get rid of the auto bids. If you are ranked in the top 8 and are not a BIG 10 or SEC conference champion you are not going to be left out since the BIG 10 and SEC champions are probably ranked in the top 8. If you are one of the two highest ranked at large teams why wouldn't you want to play a team you can boat race and essentially get a bye week. I don't care about a good game if I am in position to be one of the ones that boat races a team. It only hurts when you are number 9 in the country and get left out.

Now I do understand why a commissioner wants less auto bids because it means more money. I just like the idea that every game in conference will still mean something since teams will want to avoid being number 9 and possibly left out. If it is just the top 12 then it becomes 6 from BIG and 6 from SEC once they go to 24 teams. It will start to feel like the NBA. Also, you may have to beat the same damn team again, see 2001. To me the 12 team was genius because the top 8 teams are in the playoffs and who cares who the other 4 teams are that get in since it was never meant to address the top 12.

Well, the schools care more about money than winning championships, just like the commissioners do.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

If it were up to me, I would say something like:

4 auto bids to the P4 conferences

2 G5 autobids provided that the conference champs finish in the top 15 - if not, then those bids become at large bids

6 at large bids for the highest ranked non conference teams. 

There’s only two power conferences. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Because god forbid we get the actual best 12 teams into the playoffs. And god forbid we actually make non-SEC and non-Big 10 teams play competitive games in their out of conference schedule to boost their playoff resume instead of having Baylor play Long fucking Island.

And this. All of this.

Address the 8 game conference schedule and November cupcake games by the SEC and maybe somebody would listen.  Until then, try pissing up a rope.

and FTR, I'm not cool with anybody playing FCS teams either.  It's stupid.  The only ones I really give a pass to are lower level teams  and independents like Army.  None of them are competing for a playoff spot.

Edited by slorch

53 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

So let's:

Pretty sure the Big XII has had a rule for a while that one non-con game has to be P-5, so that's been 10 P-5 games for some time now. The SEC has a literal tradition of playing FCS teams in November and refuse to go beyond 8 conference game, I don't see the FCS tradition changing, and while 9 conference games feels inevitable, I think it's weird that there's been pushback and they are staying at 8 for now.

I'm generally fine with FCS schools getting a nice payday to give a P-5 program a warm up. They aren't particularly interesting for fans, but I would prefer long term that my team have an opportunity to figure out the roster, and an FCS opponent is a good opportunity. I'm not sure what kind of bonus would be needed for playing more than 10 games. It helps strength of schedule for the final analysis and draws more money into the team than paying an FCS opponent, so there are already incentives to not play FCS, but many programs still like it for a number of reasons.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Pretty sure the Big XII has had a rule for a while that one non-con game has to be P-5, so that's been 10 P-5 games for some time now. The SEC has a literal tradition of playing FCS teams in November and refuse to go beyond 8 conference game, I don't see the FCS tradition changing, and while 9 conference games feels inevitable, I think it's weird that there's been pushback and they are staying at 8 for now.

I'm generally fine with FCS schools getting a nice payday to give a P-5 program a warm up. They aren't particularly interesting for fans, but I would prefer long term that my team have an opportunity to figure out the roster, and an FCS opponent is a good opportunity. I'm not sure what kind of bonus would be needed for playing more than 10 games. It helps strength of schedule for the final analysis and draws more money into the team than paying an FCS opponent, so there are already incentives to not play FCS, but many programs still like it for a number of reasons.

1. It's not weird.  It's all about the $$$$.  They want to try and get two teams into the CFP, and multiple teams into the bigger bowls, so they only schedule 8 conference games to inflate their win totals.  It's the same reason they will want to push for fewer or no auto bids to non-SEC/BIG conferences.  It's all about the almighty dollar.

2. Coach McGuire said something in his press conference yesterday about the college football being the only sport without any warmup games.  NFL has preseason, high schools have scrimmages, etc.  Maybe we pay the FCS schools to scrimmage the FBS schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Any playoff spot decided by a committee and not won in a pre-determined way set out by rules, IE in every other level of football from peewee to pro, is fucking stupid. Play your way in or out. Letting fat ass writers, coaches or anyone “choose” who gets in just chaps my ass. Playoffs should not be decided by money, favoritism or media. Full stop. 
I know I’m in the minority. And I’m old and have never liked polls in any way besides some beer talk. The idiocy of polls is on display every year when teams are ranked higher than teams with the same record that beat them. They decide nothing. And I’m out.

Yeah, they really should just use the computer formula from the BCS, plus conference champions.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Same with me for Tech.  We have no business playing Tarleton St. this year, or ACU or SHSU* or SFA in previous years.

*SHSU does have a national championship at least.  But still, P5 should not be playing FCS period.

Sammy is moving up to FBS however, think this is their 2nd and final transition year. Expect to see them added to schedules of more Texas "power" schools other than just Aggy looking for a softer, in state OOC opponent moving forward now that they technically cont as an FBS opponent. 

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I do not understand this desire to get rid of the auto bids. If you are ranked in the top 8 and are not a BIG 10 or SEC conference champion you are not going to be left out since the BIG 10 and SEC champions are probably ranked in the top 8. If you are one of the two highest ranked at large teams why wouldn't you want to play a team you can boat race and essentially get a bye week. I don't care about a good game if I am in position to be one of the ones that boat races a team. It only hurts when you are number 9 in the country and get left out.

Now I do understand why a commissioner wants less auto bids because it means more money. I just like the idea that every game in conference will still mean something since teams will want to avoid being number 9 and possibly left out. If it is just the top 12 then it becomes 6 from BIG and 6 from SEC once they go to 24 teams. It will start to feel like the NBA. Also, you may have to beat the same damn team again, see 2001. To me the 12 team was genius because the top 8 teams are in the playoffs and who cares who the other 4 teams are that get in since it was never meant to address the top 12.

The autobids and first round bye automatically make your ccg more valuable.

There's even talk about giving UC/UH/UCF/BYU less than P5 shares for the next couple of years.  Just sounds unbelievably greedy.  Its a really, really bad look for an industry that already looks that way.  Especially with the massive money coming from the CFP and the massive raises the SEC and Big 10 just got.  Some of the presidents just need to slap Sankey and Pettiti, the way the presidents read the riot act to the commissioners sabotaging the expansion to 12.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, DukDukGru said:

Our side conversation was focused upon which conference (AAC/MWC) would be a better home  for OrSU/WSU now that they are outcasts.  Televised Big 10 or Big 12 games don't really factor into the choice we were discussing. 

The more realistic question I was answering in my response was that as a PAC NW resident (who is not a primary fan of OrSU or WSU) I would be more interested in watching either school regularly play regional games against Boise St. or Nevada rather than cross country conference matchups with AAC schools like Temple and South Florida. 

This is a fan level response that does not even get into the economics of choosing either the MWC or AAC.

I will miss PAC after dark.  It ended a day quietly with teams that have a 100 year history.  And there was as much parity as the Big12 so someone was always on upset alert.  Even if the night game is Nebraska at Washington the interest is only as much as a 2% shift in post-season chances.  And the playoff will be so bloated that making it doesn't change all that much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

Yes, seriously.

Any 9-3 team from the B1G or SEC deserves to be in the playoffs over any 2024 Big 12 team. 

Lulz. Some longhorn fans going full aggy was definitely not on my realignment Bingo card. But it's hilarious to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

And this. All of this.

The "Best 12" is nothing but bs.

Nobody knows until you play it on the field.  Remember 2014?  Everyone was sure Alabama and Oregon were the top 2.  Ohio St./TCU/Baylor were 3-4-5.  FSU had to get in because they were the only unbeaten.  FSU lost 59-20 to Oregon.  Ohio St. beat Alabama.  TCU won 42-3 over the only team to beat Alabama in the regular season.  And then Ohio St. beat Oregon in the title game.  TCU dropped from 3rd to 6th in the final ranking after beating Iowa St. 55-3.  

The committee might as well just pull out the 247 recruiting rankings.  That's pretty much how they pick teams.  I thought it would be better than the BCS, but its worse.  You've got groupthink with a few people dominating the conversation.

We need autobids so we have concrete criteria.  Teams that actually accomplish something get rewarded.  Teams that can't finish any better than 5th in the SEC or Big 10 don't make it?  So what?  Finish better than 5th in your own conference!!!  I think its bs that teams with losing records in conference play get into the NCAA bb tourney.  We don't need those teams.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Alabama and several other SEC and Big 10 teams do this.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Think setting a top 15 bar for the G5 champ autobid(s) will probably get the antitrust lawsuit machine a rumbling. Setting that standard would have boxed out Tulane last year and honestly with the way the committee has been voting recently see that very much as false hope, will always put enough "top brands" ahead to box the G5 champs out of the top 15. 

Then the committee will always rank the G5 champ #16.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Granted it's not OU easy, but still...

2023 Georgia football schedule

• Sept. 2 UT MARTIN
  • Sept. 9 BALL STATE
  • Sept. 16 SOUTH CAROLINA
  • Sept. 23 UAB
  • Sept. 30 at Auburn
  • Oct. 7 KENTUCKY
  • Oct. 14 at Vanderbilt
  • Oct. 21 Open Date
  • Oct. 28 vs. Florida (Jacksonville)
  • Nov. 4 MISSOURI
  • Nov. 11 OLE MISS
  • Nov. 18 at Tennessee
  • Nov. 25 at Georgia Tech

Auburn, UK and Florida are probably all down.  Let's put it this way.  Charley Strong might even take that Georgia team to a 10-0 start.  Kirby Smart probably could have taken one of Charley Strong's Texas teams to a 10-0 start with that schedule.

2 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

Yes, seriously.

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

There’s only two power conferences. 

I'm old enough to remember when we made fun of stupid fucking comments like this on Shaggy/Surly.

In fact, I believe it was squarely pointed at Aggy around a decade ago.

You're not even in the SEC yet and already going full Aggy. Lulz

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Any playoff spot decided by a committee and not won in a pre-determined way set out by rules, IE in every other level of football from peewee to pro, is fucking stupid. Play your way in or out. Letting fat ass writers, coaches or anyone “choose” who gets in just chaps my ass. Playoffs should not be decided by money, favoritism or media. Full stop. 
I know I’m in the minority. And I’m old and have never liked polls in any way besides some beer talk. The idiocy of polls is on display every year when teams are ranked higher than teams with the same record that beat them. They decide nothing. And I’m out.

Normally, I detest the use of the phrase "full stop".  

But in this case...you are fucking-a-right.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'm old enough to remember when we made fun of stupid fucking comments like this on Shaggy/Surly.

In fact, I believe it was squarely pointed at Aggy around a decade ago.

You're not even in the SEC yet and already going full Aggy. Lulz

Burnt Orange Aggy.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

'77 always comes to mind.  After Texas lost the Cotton Bowl to ND, they dropped from 1 to 4 in the final poll, behind Arkansas who they beat in Fayetteville.  Kentucky dropped to #6 behind Penn St. who they beat in Happy Valley.  All the top 6 had 1 loss.  Going into the bowls, #2 OU and #6 Arkansas had lost only to Texas.  Don't get me started about 2008!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Normally, I detest the use of the phrase "full stop".  

But in this case...you are fucking-a-right.

Lmao…that’s funny because I don’t think I’ve ever used it before because it’s usually said by some numb nuts on some Meet The Press or something. But I just felt it man! 😂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bullet said:

'77 always comes to mind.  After Texas lost the Cotton Bowl to ND, they dropped from 1 to 4 in the final poll, behind Arkansas who they beat in Fayetteville.  Kentucky dropped to #6 behind Penn St. who they beat in Happy Valley.  All the top 6 had 1 loss.  Going into the bowls, #2 OU and #6 Arkansas had lost only to Texas.  Don't get me started about 2008!

Fred Akers first year.  Always felt bad for Coach Akers.  A really good coach who got close, but just couldn't get his team the championship like his legendary predecessor did.  He was the Danny White of UT football coaches.

Edited by Uncle Nate

I know this is a very difficult concept for a lot of you IR8 fans, but the game has changed. Players get paid, there is no salary cap and there are few restrictions on player movement. 

OSU had a four year starting WB go to Ol Miss. Wake Forest had a two year starter at CB come to Texas. Alabama picked their new QB from ND. 

The SEC has clearly been the best conference for a while, maybe not as much as it is touted to be, but there is a reason so many NCs come from there. Now, the amount it is better by is only increasing. 

Moneyball was a cute story, but it was about one team, not a whole league (and what happened when the moneyed teams started applying those tools?). Do you think the B12 is going to moneyball FBS?

• Hook 'Em 1