Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

I didn't have too much of a point - this convo started a page or so back, I commented that UT had underperformed relative to its resources and as compared to its peer programs, and a couple of people got hyper-offended by it. Yes, y'all should have won a couple more. Since Royal UT has seemed to often win games but not capture the big stuff. 2005 and obvious and awesome exception. Anyways, I was only talking facts of UT football, not trying to offend a few people. 

Some big flagship Us broke through layer.  Ohio State did not really become the football  school we know until Hayes.  The perception is that UT was less prestigious than all of those private SWC schools until post WW2.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They keep talking about the recruiting hit when Aggy joined the SEC, but Texas has been reeling in Top 10 classes the whole time, right?

Texas football the last 15 years seems like more of a case study in the importance of coaching than anything.  It doesn't matter who you are, if you don't have a good coach, it don't make a shit.

This.

Texas and Tech both made some really bad coaching decisions in the past 15 years.  Texas had the talent to still have winning seasons, but the results were subpar for their expectations, resources, and the talent on hand.  Tech was a combination of bad coaching and poor talent, and the results played out exactly as you would expect...losing seasons and some horrific blowout losses.

In 2021, Tech fires their coach and Sonny Cumbie takes over as interim, getting them to and winning a bowl game.  Then Joey takes the piece-meal team and gets 8 wins and a bowl victory last year with really not much of an upgrade in talent.  Coaching matters.  See:  Jimbo Fisher @ A$M

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LTbear said:

Can you explain how your post here relates to UT's number of Big XII titles? I'm failing to make that connection. Thanks in advance. 

Again, try not to get so easily offended and defensive. It's very aggy-esque. 

Nothing more aggy-esque than hanging out on an opponents board, trying to act like your school matters. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Deej said:

How many Longhorn fans talking shit on your board? 

Rent fucking free.

I don't own any message boards, so I couldn't tell you.  And if I did I'd hope I wouldn't act like a bitch-made pussy at any random discussion that came up that involved legitimate criticism of or literally just pointed out facts about the performance of "my" school. 

Maybe you missed it, but Shaggy/Surly has tons of fans from across the conference and even other conferences who have been posting here for like a decade plus.

Coming at any non-Texas fan with some circa-2002 message board "smack" like, "get off our board" or "rent free" is just fucking lame as shit. Get over yourself.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

How many Longhorn fans talking shit on your board? 

Rent fucking free.

Deej, you have to understand- they are here to help us with our program, critiquing it, … and pointing out the flaws more in sorrow than in anger. 

Maybe we can return the favor. The IR8 are freeriders , and your biggest competitive issue is that in four months, the free ride is over. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, statsman said:

Deej, you have to understand- they are here to help us with our program, critiquing it, … and pointing out the flaws more in sorrow than in anger. 

Maybe we can return the favor. The IR8 are freeriders , and your biggest competitive issue is that in four months, the free ride is over. 

They'll still be posting here long after we are gone, complaining about how it was us, and only us who destabilized the Big 12, repeating aggy falsehoods, while it was us who kept it together long enough for them to end up with a soft landing. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

They'll still be posting here long after we are gone, complaining about how it was us, and only us who destabilized the Big 12, repeating aggy falsehoods, while it was us who kept it together long enough for them to end up with a soft landing. 

I don't see many, or really any, of the "New B12" fans that post regularly on this site, saying anything like that.  I've never seen any of those regulars from Iowa State or Oklahoma State or the others, mimicking the bullshit falsehoods put out there by the ags and Tom Osborne on their way out.

We clearly come at things from different perspectives, but that's something I've never seen our regular non-UT posters say around here.  I suppose it's possible I missed something but in general they're all relatively respectful without kissing UT ass, which I wouldn't want anyway.  I don't kiss UT ass, why should they??

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, statsman said:

Show me an OSU fan here who thinks the officiating in 2015 wasn't on the up and up. Just us whining, apparently.

Our resident ISU fan proclaimed we owed it to them not to leave at one point and had done them dirty, I seem to remember.

4 hours ago, LTbear said:

I didn't have too much of a point - this convo started a page or so back, I commented that UT had underperformed relative to its resources and as compared to its peer programs, and a couple of people got hyper-offended by it. Yes, y'all should have won a couple more. Since Royal UT has seemed to often win games but not capture the big stuff. 2005 and obvious and awesome exception. Anyways, I was only talking facts of UT football, not trying to offend a few people. 

If that was all you said you wouldn't have gotten pushback.

27 minutes ago, Deej said:

Show me an OSU fan here who thinks the officiating in 2015 wasn't on the up and up. Just us whining, apparently.

That officiating was biased AF but it still doesn't equate to them spouting off the aggie and husker lies and nonsense, which was the accusation.

28 minutes ago, Deej said:

Our resident ISU fan proclaimed we owed it to them not to leave at one point and had done them dirty, I seem to remember.

I don't remember seeing that but this is a long thread full of bullshit so it's possible I missed it. Regardless, I don't really see him saying things like that now.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They keep talking about the recruiting hit when Aggy joined the SEC, but Texas has been reeling in Top 10 classes the whole time, right?

Texas football the last 15 years seems like more of a case study in the importance of coaching than anything.  It doesn't matter who you are, if you don't have a good coach, it don't make a shit.

Not all the time.  Mack's last class fell apart when Charley came in.  Charlie had a top 10 class based on 4 highly rated Florida players.  Only one made it to the first game and he was a backup receiver.  Without them its probably mid 20s.  His last class was horrible.  He only had 6 or 7 commits and Hermann had to scramble.  And Mack's classes were pretty highly rated, but it seems like he didn't look closely into the people.  I think he may have admitted he got complacent in evaluations.  Didn't have many high impact players recruited after that 2005 class.  And Charley ran off quite a few.  Charley's last teams were very average in talent for the Big 12.  Hermann had no depth when he arrived.  And everyone knew he was gone so Hermann's last class was 20 something rated.

3 hours ago, LTbear said:

Ya fair enough but at some point the right coaching hire will be made. From the outside it seems UT has suffered from 1) always recruiting the highest stars and not necessarily the best fits, and 2) gameday coaching errors from multiple coaches. 

For some reason we got great QB recruits, but didn't have a really good college QB (not counting James Street who was wishbone and was not the planned starter) from Bobby Layne in the 50s until the Applewhite/Simms duo.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

Well we know that.  I was just pointing out that I think he admitted it on his player evaluations.  I know he admitted in general he got complacent.

At least he was killing himself recruiting Florida at the end. 

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah.  The vast majority of UT's issues have been coaching / S&C, going back at least 15 years.  Texas went some absurd number of years in a row without putting any OL in the NFL.  If you're signing multiple four stars per cycle, all with great offer sheets, and then they aren't developing... the issue is you, not the incoming talent.  I think there's an argument to be made about the recruiting ceiling being lower post 2011, but UT is the wrong place to make the argument because there are too many other issues to look at, too.

On the other hand, recruiting is the main reason why OU hasn't matched up well on the national stage and aggy moving hurt OU more than anyone.  OU pretty consistently recruits in the lower half of the Top 10 nationally, but almost always misses out on 5 star DTs.  A&M has signed the type of elite DL players over the last decade that OU was previously landing when the ags were in the Big 12.  The commit Venables got last weekend from David Stone was the first 5 star DT commit in Norman since '09.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Nothing more aggy-esque than hanging out on an opponents board, trying to act like your school matters. 

Hmmm, did I act like any of my schools "matter?" Getting your panties in a twist over some factual information is quite aggy-esque though. You're succeeding.

40 minutes ago, bullet said:

For some reason we got great QB recruits, but didn't have a really good college QB (not counting James Street who was wishbone and was not the planned starter) from Bobby Layne in the 50s until the Applewhite/Simms duo.

I'm sure this has been discussed at length somewhere on Surly/ Shaggy, but I really liked Applewhite. My dad was a longhorn fan, so I grew up seeing a lot of UT games via him. Correct me if I'm wrong but y'all had some bowl game where either Simms started and was pulled or Simms had just been the starter for several games beforehand, but Applewhite came in and engineered some epic fucking comeback. Fuzzy but I recall it being incredible at the time. Maybe memory is lying to me. 

11 minutes ago, LTbear said:

I'm sure this has been discussed at length somewhere on Surly/ Shaggy, but I really liked Applewhite. My dad was a longhorn fan, so I grew up seeing a lot of UT games via him. Correct me if I'm wrong but y'all had some bowl game where either Simms started and was pulled or Simms had just been the starter for several games beforehand, but Applewhite came in and engineered some epic fucking comeback. Fuzzy but I recall it being incredible at the time. Maybe memory is lying to me. 

Well Simms gave CU the 2001 ccg.  Applewhite came in way too far behind but got within 2 points, 39-37.  Not sure who started the first game against CU that year, but UT won 41-7.  Had UT won, we would have gotten stomped by Miami in the title game instead of Nebraska.  Only time I didn't mind not getting in the title game.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

Well Simms gave CU the 2001 ccg.  Applewhite came in way too far behind but got within 2 points, 39-37.  Not sure who started the first game against CU that year, but UT won 41-7.  Had UT won, we would have gotten stomped by Miami in the title game instead of Nebraska.  Only time I didn't mind not getting in the title game.

Ya so I looked it up, that 2001 Holiday Bowl is what I was thinking of. 27 point fourth quarter. Craziness. 

I don't remember seeing that but this is a long thread full of bullshit so it's possible I missed it. Regardless, I don't really see him saying things like that now.

I never said Texas owed us anything. OP is just a cunt who extrapolated that sentiment from my statement (made some time ago) that I wished UT and OU were as content to prop up sucklers as Ohio State and Michigan are.

Over the last 12 months I’ve been pretty emphatic that this has probably been the best result for the parties involved, but seeping vaginas just can’t stop seeping. Raw nerves are forever on Surly.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

This has become the most boring realignment storyline yet.

Wait until they actually starting playing each other.  That's when the excitement starts.  

Cal at BC!!!         SMU at Syracuse!!!!    Wake at Stanford late night!!!   All played in front of dozens of fans!!!

Are you feeling the excitement yet ?  🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

This.

Texas and Tech both made some really bad coaching decisions in the past 15 years.  Texas had the talent to still have winning seasons, but the results were subpar for their expectations, resources, and the talent on hand.  Tech was a combination of bad coaching and poor talent, and the results played out exactly as you would expect...losing seasons and some horrific blowout losses.

In 2021, Tech fires their coach and Sonny Cumbie takes over as interim, getting them to and winning a bowl game.  Then Joey takes the piece-meal team and gets 8 wins and a bowl victory last year with really not much of an upgrade in talent.  Coaching matters.  See:  Jimbo Fisher @ A$M

Interesting fact for Tech, they went 7-6 and 5-7 with generational QB Patrick Mahomes as their starter.

This shit is redonk.  UNC board of trustees is advisory… they don’t do that publicly unless they know the votes are in favor and they oppose it for their own reasons.  I expect the vote to approve goes through since the UNC President is the decision maker and is supposedly in favor, but this is some serious Game of Thrones shit.

6 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

1 minute ago, Zhorn96 said:

This shit is redonk.  UNC board of trustees is advisory… they don’t do that publicly unless they know the votes are in favor and they oppose it for their own reasons.  I expect the vote to approve goes through since the UNC President is the decision maker and is supposedly in favor, but this is some serious Game of Thrones shit.

And God bless them!

• Hook 'Em 1