Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

39 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Oregon and UW not wanting to sign the GOR killed any and every deal. Turner has a hole burning in their pocket. They would have happily paid $30 million per school to get into college football. 

The pac would’ve jumped at that from Turner

13 hours ago, statsman said:

I have to question the wisdom of making a big move like this without knowing the next step. Texas and OU had discussions with B10 and SEC, and then an agreement with the SEC, before telling the B12 they were out. 

2 hours ago, camel at sea said:

The other side of it is that if you're the ACC, the longer you wait to let FSU/Clemson leave, the lower their exit value.  There's a reason Texas and OU were willing to hang around so long after announcing their exit, and that was less than five years, not more than ten.  Would FSU and Clemson each pay $100M+ today to escape today? Probably, and maybe quite a bit more.  There's an upper end on that before it become untenable financially, but it's a huge number.  That upper end number goes down annually though. 

So if you're a member of the ACC, and your revenue recently took a huge hit from COVID, maybe you take the short term cash infusion in exchange for releasing them.

But this is why I think the SEC has to be their destination.  In order for that to work, the ACC needs ESPN to keep payouts about where they are now.  ESPN has no reason to do that unless those two are going to the SEC.     

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Oregon and UW not wanting to sign the GOR killed any and every deal. Turner has a hole burning in their pocket. They would have happily paid $30 million per school to get into college football. 

That has been the one reliable white smoke.  When a couple schools refuse to sign the new contract it is because they know they have an offer for a new conference.  It was Pitt and Syracuse in the Big East.  TX and OU in the Big12.  And SC in the PAC.  (I did not hear anything about UCLA's position on expansion but they knew they were pulling out). 

Now there's this. 

49 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Walk me thorough the ACC’s thinking. Obviously ACCN in West Coast households. But are they going to get paid more? I would assume so. 

Will they all get paid more…no, some yeah

The idea was to take Cal/Stanford at reduced shares and SMU and maybe Rice at zero shares for the remainder of the ACC’s contract.

Those shares would go to FSU/Clemson and maybe UNC/Miami to shut them up.

Adding more schools now that have nowhere to go also makes it harder to dissolve or otherwise break open the conference.

Also, if FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, UVA leave the weak ACC members (Wake Forest) know they are in the same position as WSU/OSU. More numbers means they might be able to keep the band together and expand and not fall prey to the Big 12 (they actually have a lot of realistic candidates, 3 obviously in the B12 and more in the AAC).

Yes, ACCN on SFO, DFW/Hou would help (if they could get it) but that is secondary.

With the current structure, a logical world would have:

Tier One Conferences:
SEC: South (South adjacent)
Big Ten: Everything else

Tier Two Conferences:
Big12: West of Mississippi
ACC: East of Mississippi 

Tier Three Conferences:
AAC: Eastern/Central Timezone
MWC: Mountain/Pacific Timezone

Tier Four Conferences:
Sun Belt: South (South adjacent)
MAC: Midwest

Tier Five Conferences:
CUSA: anyone and everyone

but logic and timing and TV deals don’t always align so we may end up with a nasty hodgepodge.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I finally understand why the PAC 12 failed.

In a USA Today story it was said that the PAC 12 turned down $30m from espn and countered at $50m.

espn then bailed on the pac 12 and agreed to bring in the Pac 10 schools into the big 12 at the rate they did.

It all makes total sense now.  

Maybe, but that $30 million story is from Canzano and seems to be a Kliavcoff planted story to shift the blame to the presidents.

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.si.com/college/2023/08/11/stanford-cal-acc-unlikely-future-unclear-pac-12

SI confirms Auerbach's story.  11-4.  One vote from jumping the shark.

"...The two members of the disintegrating Pac-12 need 12 of the 15 members of the ACC to support their move. Four schools stood opposed when the issue was discussed Wednesday night, sources say: Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and North Carolina State. Lacking the requisite numbers, sources say it is unlikely that the potential expansion of the league will be put to a formal vote.

Sources described ACC members Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech and Louisville as among the most vocal in advocating for the Cardinal and Golden Bears to join the league. ACC commissioner Jim Phillips has been leading the discussion, presenting financial and scheduling scenarios to the league members.

In explaining his advocacy for Cal and Stanford this week, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick told ESPN, “The notion that two of the very best academic institutions in the world who also play [Division I] sports could be abandoned in this latest chapter of realignment is an indictment of college athletics....”

What about Rice, Jack?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Turner has a hole burning in their pocket. They would have happily paid $30 million per school to get into college football. 

Er, wait....what?   They're in the process of being cobbled together with Discovery Networks from the AT&T split, they've shut down production on numerous movies and shows, and lost a ton of subscribers in cable and in rebranding to Max.   No one is sitting on a pile waiting to be spent, they're struggling to make money on what they've already invested.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, camel at sea said:

For pro rata shares to those two schools, ESPN and the SEC could shut and lock the door on the Deep South in college athletics.  That's potentially a very valuable chip if you're looking for a financial partner.  How much would Apple or Amazon pay for a piece of the SEC?  Likely a lot.  You'd have 90% of college football's national titles since 2000, the nation's best HS football recruiting footprint, etc.  

I also think that if FSU and Clemson are gone, the ACC gets stable.  UNC and UVA aren't worth B1G shares.  The B1G already added two dilutive members a few days ago.  The only way they'd be able to add again without taking another loss would be if ND joins.  So for the price of moving FSU and Clemson, you also buy ACC stability (stability that probably keeps ND indy, even without FSU and Clemson.)  The ACC's Tier 1 deal is as undervalued right now as the Big 12's deal was before Texas and OU announced their exit. The Mouse might be willing to keep them status quo in exchange for letting their two football jewels go.  

I don't know what FSU and Clemson could afford, but if ESPN is mediating the GOR exit, it doesn't have to be $500M each or anything prohibitive.  Would the ACC release them for $125M each and status quo media rights payouts?  I think they would.  

But....why?   They already own the south with Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma.  Neither FSU nor Clemson are bigger draws than any of them.

If FSU/Clemson are 25-30% of the ACC's value, then keeping that status quo means ESPN is overpaying the ACC for 13 years to the tune of $1.2-1.5 billion.  Additionally, they now need to double the payments of FSU/Clemson in the SEC, which means shelling out an additional $780m.   

Even without factoring in buyouts, or inflation growth, or GoR negotiations, for ESPN to keep things status quo for 12 and double for 2, would cost them $2-2.5 billion over 13 years.   To outlay this kind of cash FSU/Clemson would need to have all of their games be T1 only games (they can't) averaging around 9-12m in audience every game (they won't).

There is so much working against ESPN on this, at a time where they are slicing budgets and are looking to put more money into the UFC/NBA/NFL, that I just cannot fathom a way for them to fund this.   

The only way this kind of works is if you do it the same way it happened with the Pac.   Instead of paying the Pac $300m for ten properties, ESPN spent $80m for four.  

Edited by Hurtlocker
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

Er, wait....what?   They're in the process of being cobbled together with Discovery Networks from the AT&T split, they've shut down production on numerous movies and shows, and lost a ton of subscribers in cable and in rebranding to Max.   No one is sitting on a pile waiting to be spent, they're struggling to make money on what they've already invested.

I'm not smart, so explain it like i'm ridiculously simple. which I am.

What is Turner?

12 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

UVA averaged 600k viewers from 15-19 and 600k and 240k the last two years. They are a net negative to the Big10. 

Miami averaged 1.5 million from 15-19 but dropped to just over 1 million and 600k the last two years. In '21 they got 5.67 million for the Bama game and would averaged 615k the rest of the year. They don't have their own stadium continue to let their biggest donors embarrass the University.

UNC averaged 750k from 15-19 and just over 1 million and 849k (with a Heisman level QB no less) the last two years. They vaguely reach the Washington level of viewership but who would be their Texas/USC/Oregon to help bring them along? 

Duke averaged 400k from 15-19 and 64k and 115k the last two years. Georgia Tech and Syracuse would be a better add than this...

35 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

These two posts are indications that the money train is going to run out soon. Dr. Pimple Popper on TLC gets over a million viewers. 

Just rounding around and doing loose math, but a conference getting a 30 million per team payout means the networks are paying over 5 million per game, and that doesn't include their production costs. Looking through last year's college football ratings, the worst one I saw was Rutgers vs Maryland on the BTN, with 97K viewers. Pretty sure a Shamwow commercial could pull that. On the whole, though, over half the college games can't beat Dr Pimple Popper, which I didn't even know existed until I looked up the ratings. 

Sporting events only have value for a one time broadcast. There's no rerun value. Reality TV programs cost between $100,000 and $500,000 per episode, and can be rerun multiple times. Old sitcoms can go on forever, like the Munsters, Bewitched, Gilligan's Island. 

Will networks continue to pay this much money for a game, when for one tenth the price they could produce a show like, "Fat Girls Trying to Climb Ladders" and get just as many viewers? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Will networks continue to pay this much money for a game, when for one tenth the price they could produce a show like, "Fat Girls Trying to Climb Ladders" and get just as many viewers? 

Sports are different than other entertainment. Live eyeballs where you are a captive audience and have to watch commercials is extremely valuable.

Sports also does not have significant replay value which sounds like a negative until you realize that if you’re a fan of a team you won’t drop your cable/streaming during the season.

Other programming with high replay value can be picked up anytime. I know many people who cycle their services. They sign up for Netflix in Jan, watch everything and cancel then sign up for Max in Feb, Hulu in March, then back to Netflix and mix in a month of Apple when Ted Lasso is fully out. Sports makes it harder to game the system.

Anyways, networks will keep paying, they are still valuable. They just may not pay everyone across the board as ESPN has for the last 40 years. Realignment (for all its negatives) is driving us towards a better product most moves (excluding Rutgers/Maryland which were purely market plays for money) we’re to improve the product.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

But....why?   They already own the south with Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma.  Neither FSU nor Clemson are bigger draws than any of them.

If FSU/Clemson are 25-30% of the ACC's value, then keeping that status quo means ESPN is overpaying the ACC for 13 years to the tune of $1.2-1.5 billion.  Additionally, they now need to double the payments of FSU/Clemson in the SEC, which means shelling out an additional $780m.   

Even without factoring in buyouts, or inflation growth, or GoR negotiations, for ESPN to keep things status quo for 12 and double for 2, would cost them $2-2.5 billion over 13 years.   To outlay this kind of cash FSU/Clemson would need to have all of their games be T1 only games (they can't) averaging around 9-12m in audience every game (they won't).

There is so much working against ESPN on this, at a time where they are slicing budgets and are looking to put more money into the UFC/NBA/NFL, that I just cannot fathom a way for them to fund this.   

The only way this kind of works is if you do it the same way it happened with the Pac.   Instead of paying the Pac $300m for ten properties, ESPN spent $80m for four.  

Right. Why would fox or espn pay x (say $10) when they can remove the pieces they don't want and pay y (say $1). 

When ESPN FOX and whoever else comes up for bid, the network that's interested says hey, we will pay you 1X for the right to broadcast your games...and you say we can get more... OK...there're aren't any other suiters. Who would they get more from? Nobody else wants to broadcast those games. For any amount. 

Nothing has changed, really, but now it's 4 top dawg per conference where there used to be 3. Or 2.

But the networks aren't going this to fix college football. they have a resource they will broadcast...but only if it makes sense. Which should scare about half the programs in the sec, because 10 years from now, ESPN is not going to care about the Vanderbilt tradition...or Illinois, Rutgers, Minnesota, etc...because they do not matter to 3 million people. 

Pitt et al are a foregoen conclusion.

How may people in what demographic watch you. That it. Wins and losses mean nothing.

On 8/9/2023 at 11:38 PM, FartingDreamer said:

Neil Peart (R.I.P) was twice the drummer, probably the greatest drummer of a generation.  He literally could have had the visual acuity of Stevie Wonder and would still be no less a drummer, I've never seen a drummer hit all of the drums in a set without looking or turning his head.  

goddamnit.

i swear on a stack of triplecombos.

i can't fucking believe i had to rep a fucking card-carrying saint.

does your bishop know of this heresy?  knowledge of RUSH (or Zep or any other powerhouse band) is grounds for disfellowship and an inquisition by the General Authorities

or maybe even The Seventies

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

goddamnit.

i swear on a stack of triplecombos.

i can't fucking believe i had to rep a fucking card-carrying saint.

does your bishop know of this heresy?  knowledge of RUSH (or Zep or any other powerhouse band) is grounds for disfellowship and an inquisition by the General Authorities

or maybe even The Seventies

I'm anything BUT card-carrying.  Still in my Jack phase.

• Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

Not going to happen.  

Is this a serious question?  This would solidify the Big 12's seat at the power conference table.  

Umm, they added us.  We're as nerdy as it gets.  

Longterm it would be bad for everyone as the general interest in the sport (and thus the $$$) would dry up and that pie would shrink like a pair of naked testicles in the Bering Strait.  

All of your arguments are statements of how you believe the world should work because if it did, it would help BYU football. 

Sorry. There are two conferences that matter. Let’s call them the SP2. The B12’s most valuable trait is not that all of the programs are so awesome. They’re not. Its best trait is that neither SP2 conference wants any of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, statsman said:

All of your arguments are statements of how you believe the world should work because if it did, it would help BYU football. 

Sorry. There are two conferences that matter. Let’s call them the SP2. The B12’s most valuable trait is not that all of the programs are so awesome. They’re not. Its best trait is that neither SP2 conference wants any of them. 

You can fuck that chicken all you want but that doesn't make it be the case.  There will be no less then 3 power conferences that matter and all signs show that the Big 12 is positioning itself well to be that third conference.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, statsman said:

We may not have any bluebloods, but the level of parity and competitiveness will make it the most intriguing and interesting conference to watch due to not being top or bottom heavy.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

53 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

We may not have any bluebloods, but the level of parity and competitiveness will make it the most intriguing and interesting conference to watch due to not being top or bottom heavy.  

Well, that formula certainly worked for the WAC, back in the day. And CUSA. And the AAC. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_20230812-073926_kindlephoto-5492623.png.bf0f8120fe3eba10d0efa5aa61b28755.png

“There is just a lot of sadness seeing where these schools are right now,” a source with Pac-12 ties says. “It’s hard to believe it’s come to this point, where there are no good options.”

giphy-downsized-large.gif

They may have no option but to swallow their pride and join the MWC, either that or wave the white flag and join the Ivy League?

• Fuck You 1

Could The Mountain West Become A Power 5 Conference?

Mountain West commissioner Gloria Nevarez isn’t happy about the collapse of the Pac-12.

A former conference employee, Cal law school graduate, and Bay Area native, Nevarez told Front Office Sports she was “crushed” when she watched the news unfold from her home office last Friday.

For her current conference, though, the Pac-12’s demise provides a massive opportunity. Stanford, Cal, Oregon State, and Washington State are looking for new homes. The Mountain West could gain big football brands, solidifying its stability and boosting potential value for its next round of media rights negotiations.

And there’s potential for more than expansion. Though fraught with logistical, legal, and financial difficulties, there is a possibility that the Mountain West could become the fifth Power 5 conference.

“There’s a lot of due diligence that needs to happen,” Nevarez said. “But certainly, we’re open to the conversation.”

The first determining factor: how the four schools proceed. Nevarez noted the Mountain West won’t “get serious” about discussions until the ACC, currently weighing whether to add Stanford and Cal, makes its decision.

If the two Bay Area schools can find a home in the ACC, then Oregon State and Washington State would be left to fend for themselves.

There are two scenarios Mountain West members have discussed most often in the past few weeks, a source told FOS: adding Oregon State, Washington State, and the Pac-12 branding — or dissolving the conference and joining the existing Pac-12 entity.

The Mountain West is interested in the two schools, that source confirmed. If they join, they might be allowed to bring the intellectual property of the Pac-12 with them. In this scenario, Nevarez would become the first female Power 5 commissioner.

“That’d be a weird way to back into [the role],” Nevarez said, though she currently has more experience in college sports than half of the existing Power commissioners.

San Diego State has been advocating for a version of the second scenario, which would also include replacing some existing Mountain West members with schools from the American Athletic Conference, according to CBS — though it doesn’t seem to have convinced schools to carry out this idea. (SDSU athletic director J.D. Wicker disputed the report in a Twitter thread.)

“San Diego State has been transparent that they are exploring,” Nevarez said of the rumor. “I’ve always said I would never mount a campaign to keep any of our schools from doing what’s best for them. I don’t know fact or fiction of what private conversations [took place] or not. But … we had a board meeting Monday night, and I believe we were unanimous in trying to work this out together.”

A newly formed Mountain West-Pac-12 combo could bring Nevarez with them, as it’s hard to imagine any top conference would want to be led by George Kliavkoff, who’s overseen the Pac-12’s fall from grace. But the conference would have to start from scratch and build an entirely new infrastructure, like the Big East did a decade ago — a scenario sources have described as risky.

Even if it gets some current Power 5 members, and the name of a Power 5 conference, it would still lack the riches of the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12. 

The Mountain West’s current media contract with Fox and CBS, which runs until 2026, pays out only $4 million per school per year. The rest of the Power 5 TV contracts dole out a minimum of $30 million.

Adding new schools would obviously increase the Mountain West’s value, and the conference won’t settle for anything less. “The starting point, typically, is pro rata,” Nevarez said — meaning expansion in this current contract would require networks to pay an additional share equal to the shares current schools receive. But the Mountain West’s media revenue will never come close to those of the Power 4. An industry source told FOS that renaming the conference the Pac-12 wouldn’t get it there.

The Mountain West’s forgettable contracts would be a major problem, given TV money drives realignment decisions. The conference has expansion competitors even beyond the ACC — the AAC could also be bidding for new schools. Commissioner Mike Aresco has been vocal for years about wanting his conference to be considered a power conference. 

Ultimately, the Mountain West will have to submit its resume to the College Football Playoff’s board. 

“Really, it’s the voting authority and the revenue distribution that [a conference has] with the CFP,” Nevarez said. “That’s the piece that makes it, air quotes, ‘Power 5.’” The board, which just last summer agreed to a 12-team format based on five Power 5 conferences and five Group of 5 conferences, will have to reevaluate its entire structure in the wake of conference realignment.

“At worst, in two weeks, three weeks, we’re the same league we were a month ago,” Nevarez said. “At best, we have an opportunity to be creative.”

12 hours ago, bullet said:

In explaining his advocacy for Cal and Stanford this week, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick told ESPN, “The notion that two of the very best academic institutions in the world who also play [Division I] sports could be abandoned in this latest chapter of realignment is an indictment of college athletics....”

"the notion that one school and a bowl game could together combine to sabotage the creation of a true football playoff for more than 25 years is an indictment of college athletics"

the LAST school that has anything relevant to say about realignment is domer

jack should sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up

you want tree/bear?  join the conference in full, play a full conference schedule, sign a GOR and save that conference

your failure to do so is why that conference is next up on the chopping block

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Well, shit. I gave our new neighbor some fresh pineapple from the yard the other day as a welcome gift.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

"the notion that one school and a bowl game could together combine to sabotage the creation of a true football playoff for more than 25 years is an indictment of college athletics"

the LAST school that has anything relevant to say about realignment is domer

jack should sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up

you want tree/bear?  join the conference in full, play a full conference schedule, sign a GOR and save that conference

your failure to do so is why that conference is next up on the chopping block

Swarbrick can EABOD, he's the last AD that should be on any kind of high horse virtue signaling when he himself hasn't shown an ounce of integrity.  Fuck him and fuck Notre Dame.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Well, shit. I gave our new neighbor some fresh pineapple from the yard the other day as a welcome gift.

bwahahahahahaha!!!!

So now your new neighbor is wondering ... "Sooooooo, are gatormarc and gatormarcette swingers? And if so, are they interested?"

Oh my!

I guess however, if they ARE wondering this doesn't than necessarily imply that they too are swingers?!

Oh, the SEC is gonna be so much fun!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

bwahahahahahaha!!!!

So now your new neighbor is wondering ... "Sooooooo, are gatormarc and gatormarcette swingers? And if so, are they interested?"

Oh my!

I guess however, if they ARE wondering this doesn't than necessarily imply that they too are swingers?!

I wonder if I should warn gatormarcette.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

BYU Fans looking stupid

couple of hot kids in there

/no pedo

for search/posterity:

sam houston state bearkats = staten hall tigers

southern utah thunderbirds = the eagles

arkansas razorbacks = arkansas pigs

kansas jayhaws = kentucky toucans

cincinnati bearcats = clemson tigers

tcu horned frogs = tcu some sort of lizard

texas tech red raiders = tampa bay tricksters

Texas Longhorns = The Longhorns

west virginia mountaineers = west virginia volunteers

iowa state cyclones = really strong cardinals

oklahoma sooners = oklahoma there's no mascot

oklahoma state cowboys = oklahoma state shooters

+++

theives and brethren have only played twice, 1 bowl, 1 deathstar, both wins for the brighams

0u is at provo

must see tv: 2nd thief possession, and boomer sooner is played for the 4th or 5th time

Edited by Hagbard Celine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

couple of hot kids in there

/no pedo

for search/posterity:

sam houston state bearkats = staten hall tigers

southern utah thunderbirds = the eagles

arkansas razorbacks = arkansas pigs

kansas jayhaws = kentucky toucans

cincinnati bearcats = clemson tigers

tcu horned frogs = tcu some sort of lizard

texas tech red raiders = tampa bay tricksters

Texas Longhorns = The Longhorns

west virginia mountaineers = west virginia volunteers

iowa state cyclones = really strong cardinals

oklahoma sooners = oklahoma there's no mascot

oklahoma state cowboys = oklahoma state shooters

+++

theives and brethren have only played twice, 1 bowl, 1 deathstar, both wins for the brighams

0u is at provo

must see tv: 2nd thief possession, and boomer sooner is played for the 4th or 5th time

We need a petition to change Tech’s name to the Tampa Tricksters. 

1 hour ago, Lidig8r said:

bwahahahahahaha!!!!

Oh my!

if you get a porch pineapple, how do you know where it came from?

and if you do know where it came from, if  you return the pineapple, does that mean "yes" or "no"?

what other fruits are involved in this radical new form of communication?

guessing bananas are involved somehow

or cucumbers