Road Trip 2018: @Maryland (FedEx Field) Sept. 1st - Labor Day Weekend

mdmost

Finally got our DC Texas Exes tickets. I was a little annoyed because they moved us one section back from what we paid for. They said it was due to heavy demand for their ticket allotments. Looked up our section on the Redskins website...SEATS IN THE SHADE! 

Edited by mdmost

30 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

To all those taking White House tours can we expect dick pics?

I was told that there was no bathroom available to use in the White House and if you use your phone it will be confiscated by the Secret Service, so I’m sure you’ll be getting plenty.

11 hours ago, Horny04 said:

What's the opinion on getting tickets given the Maryland situation? I'm thinking demand will be low so wait until the week before?

This game almost certainly won't be sold out, and it really doesn't have to do with the "situation".  It'll be well-attended, but Maryland fans aren't known nationally for their fervor.  There are still tons of tickets left, not UT sections, but there'll be enough burnt orange around you that you'll find friends.  I'm going with a few buddies who are Maryland alums (like me) but I'll be in orange.  They're not rabid fans and don't give a shit about any of that anyway.

My guess is you'll find a few drunks who will say mild shit, but most people won't care unless you act like a dick.   This isn't Frank Reynolds Razorback Stadium.

11 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I was told that there was no bathroom available to use in the White House and if you use your phone it will be confiscated by the Secret Service, so I’m sure you’ll be getting plenty.

my email from Sen. Cruz's office says this:

Cell phones and cell phones with cameras are allowed, you are more than welcome to take photos throughout your tour.

dick/bj pics forthcoming.

Next weekend - drive to D.C. (College Park, where I grew up, to be exact).
Mon-Fri fix up mom's house for selling, see old friends.
Fri night - make the rounds down Route 1 (campus area).  The chicks are hot. Yes, yes they are.  (I know the places to go, heh heh)
Saturday - T-Exes' pregame tailgate, breakfast, etc.  Game.  Players won't die hopefully.
Saturday night - party.
Sunday - BIG Labor Day Party that night with friends.
Then the next week:
Monday - Probably go to O.C. for the day and put up with the masses of people on their last at the beach.
Tues-Wed-Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon... ???? Keep fixing up mom's house, see a realtor, get the fucking thing sold, make beaucoups of cash, waste on hookers/blow.
Whenever. probably some time around Sept. 7-8ish.. drive back to Austin with a U-Haul full of shit I garnered from cleaning out the house.  Old tools, some other shit, maybe I'll have a Surly Sale, who knows?

Any of you schmucks need advice, planning your party route, general advice in getting around D.C., avoiding crowds (Labor Day weekend will probably be somewhat crowded in D.C., and people are off, so downtown will be a clusterfuck here/there), reply here, I'll be watching this thread.  I know we have a few faithful living up there, but I've been several times now the past 2-3 months and have caught up on stuff.  I can help with Metro, best advice in going to game via Metro and avoid parking $$$, etc.  I'm not always right but I am never wrong in my advice.

We'll see you doo-dahs in D.C. PM me if you need a place to party days before the game, I have suggestions in the P.G. County (i.e. Campus area and locations sorta near the stadium, but not right near it, there is shit, nothing, zilch worth a damn near it).

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

my email from Sen. Cruz's office says this:

dick/bj pics forthcoming.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-white-house/tours-events/#prohibited

The U.S. Secret Service reserves the right to prohibit any other personal items. Umbrellas, wallets, car keys, and cell phones (including those with cameras) are permitted. However, guests will not be allowed to use cell phones inside the White House. Phones used inside the White House may be confiscated by US Secret Service.

28 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

where's the best place to park for the White House / Smithsonian visits on Friday? I'm staying in Alexandria and have a rental car. Or would the metro be smarter?

I would take the metro.  There are some garages but the metro is faster and more convenient.

Edited by TKthunder2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Any of you schmucks need advice, planning your party route, general advice in getting around D.C., avoiding crowds (Labor Day weekend will probably be somewhat crowded in D.C., and people are off, so downtown will be a clusterfuck here/there), reply here, I'll be watching this thread.  I know we have a few faithful living up there, but I've been several times now the past 2-3 months and have caught up on stuff.  I can help with Metro, best advice in going to game via Metro and avoid parking $$$, etc.  I'm not always right but I am never wrong in my advice.

We'll see you doo-dahs in D.C. PM me if you need a place to party days before the game, I have suggestions in the P.G. County (i.e. Campus area and locations sorta near the stadium, but not right near it, there is shit, nothing, zilch worth a damn near it).

Any advice on getting to Camden Yards from the National Mall.

20 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

where's the best place to park for the White House / Smithsonian visits on Friday? I'm staying in Alexandria and have a rental car. Or would the metro be smarter?

I would definitely use Metro, but if you get into town early enough, you can probably get a good space.  I'd look along Independence or Maryland Avenues, or down some of the cross streets on the Mall, especaily south of Independence.  However, be warned that you need to get there early say before 9 a.m.  After that, you'll get one but only after searching and if you have kids/family in the car, it's a total drag.

Of course Metro has a station smack dab on the Mall - Smithsonian (oddly enough!).  Go out one end and it comes out on the south side of the Mall right by the Castle (which actually has a nice exhibit covering D.C. in general, but isn't really a museum any longer, per se).  That's right across the mall from the Natural History Museum (note the big T-Rex was taken down for maintenance or something, not sure if it's back up, you can Google), and a bit longer walk to the American History Museum.  NHM is about a 4 minute walk, AMH is about an 8 minute walk (keep in mind these museums are big and there's space between them so it's usually a 5 min. walk at least to the next museum, even though it's "right next to it."

Another option is L'Efant Plaza station, which comes up like 3 minutes from the Air & Space Museum, and let's face it.. everyone goes there.  So you can start that way.  Plus Air & Space is like a 7 minute walk (again across the Mall) to the National Gallery of Art (adults love it, kids?  meh).  And that's in turn next to the National Archives.  You will be in line for at least 30 minutes if not more at the Archives, so plan accordingly.  They let you slowly walk by the Constitution, BofR, and Declaration... you don't have to whiz by them but you cannot stand there.  So be ready for that.  Kids love the National Gallery East building, it's all very modern art, but cool and it's designed so kids love to sorta run around (within some degree of control) there.

It would help to know where you're staying in Alexandria and which station might actually be a walk (or a short drive/park) to the Metro.  But I'd still use it.  It's really not bad and with WiFi now, the kids can bury themselves in their phones/etc. once the thing goes underground after Reagan National Airport.

no kids and walking is not a problem. I'm at the Crowne Plaza (looks like a 1 mile walk to Braddock Station). White House tour is at 9:00 so parking might not be a problem between 8:00-8:30? checked the metro and it's a 40 minute trip from Alexandria as opposed to 12 minute car ride?

21 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Any advice on getting to Camden Yards from the National Mall.

You have a car?  Drive (NY Ave turns into the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, which is about a 50 minute ride from smack downtown D.C.  Avoid rush hours, or else make that about 1:15 driving time.  But it's great after about 10 a.m. up to about 3 p.m.  (I have other shortcuts, I can discuss but too long for here).

Otherwise there is one other option (actually there are several but most aren't worth discussing either due to $$ or time).  MARC is a regional train that runs between Baltimore and Washington (I think it goes up the east coast, actually).  Anyway, you're on the Mall, which is big, so it depends on where you are.  However, my first choice would be to walk off the Mall up to a Red Line station (most of them are about 6 blocks north of the Mall, about a 10 minute walk).  If I'm down by the Capitol end (east) of the Mall, I'd walk over to either Gallery Place - Chinatown (which by the way, has some GREAT restaurants there,worth the walk... hell even the house that Mary Surratt owned where they planned Lincoln's assassination is now a Chinese restaurant!).  Otherwise if you're down near the Monument (west) end of the Mall, there's not as much down there.  However I'd get on a train at the Smithsonian, go towards Metro Center station, get off there, get on the Red Line towards Silver Spring, and get off at Union Station. There you can board a MARC train and ride almost smack to Camden (there's a MARC station there).  Last I rode it it was like $5 per person, not bad. It might be a bit more though.  The only other thing is it leaves every 4 hours, and I don't know if it's a night game how long they run at night.  But you can look that up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

no kids and walking is not a problem. I'm at the Crowne Plaza (looks like a 1 mile walk to Braddock Station). White House tour is at 9:00 so parking might not be a problem between 8:00-8:30? checked the metro and it's a 40 minute trip from Alexandria as opposed to 12 minute car ride?

Well, if it's rush hour, that car ride ain't no 12 minutes - maybe 30.  You'd probably go up the GW Parkway to 395 and in, but that ain't no pleasure cruise on a Friday at 8 a.m.  But maybe being a holiday weekend, there might be less traffic.  It's not too far, but it'll be stop/go for most of your way in until you get off 395 which would probably be 12th St.

If it were me, I'd drive, because I know where to go and how to get around to search for a space (i.e. where streets are one-way, etc.).  If I were a visitor I'd say you can drive but be aware it could turn out to be a clusterfuck until you get your space.  Otherwise I'd Metro it.

I'd bet most of that 40 minutes is walking... there just isn't a great station near the Monument, White House, Lincoln, or anything west of the Castle, they couldn't build one due to security and swampy conditions.  If you get off at the Smithsonian, it's only about a 15 minute subway ride from Braddock to the Smitsonian stations, but once you get off, it's about a 20 minute walk up to the White House - it's almost exactly 1 mile from the Smithsonian Station to the WH.  Hell, it's the Mall you're walking across.  I've been on worse scenic walks.  So the Metro is not a bad idea at all... and the trip will cost you about $4 one way vs. at least $2.50 per hour street parking - if you're lucky enough to find a space.
JMHO....

31 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

Metro it is.

Yeah, either way has +/- but one thing I know for sure... I've taken that route a lot and Smithsonian is only about six stops from Braddock Rd. (if you do it right).  Even with a transfer, it's like 20 minutes at the worst.  

My recommendation is get the yellow line train (the trains at Braddock Rd. alternate blue and yellow every other train), take it to L'Enfant Plaza, get off, walk downstairs to the blue/orange/silver lines), and take any one of them towards the Smithsonian (you don't have to wait for a "color", all 3 colors take you to the Smithsonian), which is one stop away.  Boom, you're there, just walk.  

You might be confused as to why the blue line also runs by your hotel, yet I say take the yellow (if the blue is on the Smithsonian route anyway).  The Blue does get there, but from the opposite direction... it goes north and a bit west, then loops down and into the Smithsonian.  Yeah, in that case you're on the metro for an extra 10 mins. or so but you can always do that if you don't wanna fuck with transfers, etc. (by the way, the act of transferring cars/lines never requires you to go through another gate, it's all enclosed).  But the way I said is quicker, only requires you to be sure to get on the right direction (just look on the map or ask someone, most stations have a pillar which shows upcoming stations in that direction, so it's pretty easy to figure it out). 

Anyway I know it's hard to spell shit out in detail here, but if you look at a Matro map, just see where the colors go and you can see what I'm saying.  Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Edited by phdhorn

OK I'll bite.  We are staying on Georgetown at the Embassy Suites (have 3 kids in tow, needed space and walkable neighborhood for restaurants, etc).  Kids are 3, 5 and 7.  Getting in late Fri and me and 2 kids are doing the game Saturday.  Otherwise staying around Sat afternoon/evening, all day Sunday and probably heading back to NE not too late on Mon.  Rec's for must-do with that age group?  Air and Space museum is a given.  Seeing some of the cool big monuments as well.  But what else?  Good restaurants to go to with kids that are not far from where we're staying?  And also, what is best method for getting to see all the sites with 3 little ones and pushing a stroller?  Should we just drive and and park or do public transit?  

Edited by Horny04

20 minutes ago, Horny04 said:

OK I'll bite.  We are staying on Georgetown at the Embassy Suites (have 3 kids in tow, needed space and walkable neighborhood for restaurants, etc).  Kids are 3, 5 and 7.  Getting in late Fri and me and 2 kids are doing the game Saturday.  Otherwise staying around Sat afternoon/evening, all day Sunday and probably heading back to NE not too late on Mon.  Rec's for must-do with that age group?  Air and Space museum is a given.  Seeing some of the cool big monuments as well.  But what else?  Good restaurants to go to with kids that are not far from where we're staying?  And also, what is best method for getting to see all the sites with 3 little ones and pushing a stroller?  Should we just drive and and park or do public transit?  

I would still do Metro because you'll spend a lot more time trying to find a parking space and getting your kids in and out of it than you will getting your kids on and off Metro.  Plus, they think trains are cool.  If it's a small stroller, it can fold up and go up the escalators.  If not, most of the Metros have a working elevator. I raised twins here and we Metro'd everywhere with a big double stroller until they outgrew it.  Even with a broken elevator, it was a lot easier to fold it up and haul it up an escalator than dealing with parking.  

As far as museums, Natural History is great for kids.  The Building museum near Gallery Place was awesome when mine were young but I  honestly don't know if that's still the case.  Things may have changed when they started charging for admission.

As far as restaurants, I'll let someone else answer that one but Embassy Suites is walkable to a lot.

I'll be back later, but jeez, that area around the Embassy Suites has so many good restaurants you will find something easily. I guess the question is what type/how much $, etc.  The "new downtown" area, roughly bordered by 24th (west), N St. (south), iith St. (east) and D St. (North) is a huge area and has tons of places.  I mean tons.  I'll be back with some specific ones, but really you can't miss in that entire area.

As for seeing the sites from there, the #1 mistake most tourists make is that they think they can see them all easily since they're "all right there".  But it's way, way too large to tackle for all except triathletes in one day.  Very broadly speaking, with 1 1/2 days I'd split it up and just have to leave out a few things.  I'd go east/west.  The "east" day would be the Capitol/Supreme Court, then work my way downfall to the Archives, Air & Space, Natural History and American History (with kids I'd skip the art galleries, though kids love running around National Gallery East).  That's going to be a good part of that day.  The next day I'd go "west" and do the White House, then work down and west to the Vietnam and Lincoln, then up the Reflecting Pool  to the WWII Memorial.  There's really no need to go "up to" the Monument unless you plan to go in, and it's going to take 2 hours at the least; other than that, there's no need to get up to it, it just gets bigger and that's it (although the colonnade of flags I guess is picture worthy).  But you wouldn't waste time walking on all that open land up to it.

I can tell you though with little kids, you might take advantage of the Mall and bring lunch or a snack and take breaks with a Frisbee or something.  There is just no good way to do all of those without walking  a lot.  You can drive/park, but when you get down to that area, the roads all snake around and end up into one-way things that start sending you away from stuff and you can't correct it until you're well out of there - unless you know exactly where they go.  I could do it, but even then I'd hope to get a parking space where I need to.  There are always people going in/out of those spaces, but trust me, it ain't fun hoping someone will pull out.  You'll get one eventually but like I say, I do NOT advise trying to drive around all those monuments unless you think you're good at that kind of stuff.

Finally, I always recommend the Bureau of Printing and Engraving for kids.  They do tours (again, there's probably going to be a line,and I think you can't get tickets online Ibut they're free first come first served)..  This is where they print the money, and I don't know, kids usually like seeing all that cash (never mind adults) it, although I guess for smaller ones they wouldn't.  But do smaller kids really like anything "touristy" that's not designed for them?  Anyway it's not far off the Mall on the west end, just south of Independence Ave. and near 14th St. SW.  I understand they've opened up a facility in Ft. Worth, maybe people here have been there, not sure if they print money there (i.e. don't bother with D.C. if they do it in FW).  

Anyway, I'll be back later.  Glad to help if I can with questions if you keep having them...

Edit:  I forgot to mention the "hop on/off" tourist buses.  They're good but cost, not a ton, but certainly for a family some $$.  However most of them are good for an entire day hop on/off.   Most of 'em are worth it, especially for families, and they go around right up to most of the historical buildings/sites and let you right off.  Only downside is you might have to wait for the next bus if really busy that day.  But that's definitely an option.

Edited by phdhorn

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Next weekend - drive to D.C. (College Park, where I grew up, to be exact).
Mon-Fri fix up mom's house for selling, see old friends.
Fri night - make the rounds down Route 1 (campus area).  The chicks are hot. Yes, yes they are.  (I know the places to go, heh heh)
Saturday - T-Exes' pregame tailgate, breakfast, etc.  Game.  Players won't die hopefully.
Saturday night - party.
Sunday - BIG Labor Day Party that night with friends.
Then the next week:
Monday - Probably go to O.C. for the day and put up with the masses of people on their last at the beach.
Tues-Wed-Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon... ???? Keep fixing up mom's house, see a realtor, get the fucking thing sold, make beaucoups of cash, waste on hookers/blow.
Whenever. probably some time around Sept. 7-8ish.. drive back to Austin with a U-Haul full of shit I garnered from cleaning out the house.  Old tools, some other shit, maybe I'll have a Surly Sale, who knows?

Any recommendations on bars to go to for a group of 4 (mid 30's). Just want a good vibe, maybe some eye candy and good music. Staying at the JW Marriott off Pennsylvania. I know one night we are going to grab drinks at POV at the W right around the corner.

TIA

Best bet would be to head for 5-6 blocks west toward George Washington University.  There's some pretty nice tail at some of those bars, and most of them are not quite as highbrow (i.e. snooty) as some of the other ones in your area.

Check out Lindy's or Foggy Bottom Pub, but it's been awhile since I've been down there. You go over to the gwu area and ask around I'm sure you'll get pointed out to some good stuff that cater to the campus.

Edited by phdhorn

Thanks for answering questions, y'all. My wife and I are staying in the New Carrollton area and flying in to BWI. The WMATA site has us taking a bus-green line- bus route to get there, but I just want to make sure that:1. the bus is not too sketchy- where I live bus transportation can be a bit of a risky move, though I know in big cities this may not be the case. And 2. you wouldn't suggest any other transportation method?

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Thanks for answering questions, y'all. My wife and I are staying in the New Carrollton area and flying in to BWI. The WMATA site has us taking a bus-green line- bus route to get there, but I just want to make sure that:1. the bus is not too sketchy- where I live bus transportation can be a bit of a risky move, though I know in big cities this may not be the case. And 2. you wouldn't suggest any other transportation method?

Thanks again.

I use that bus all the time when I go there.  It's great.  It picks you up in one of 3 stops at BWI and drops you off at Greenbelt Station  (last station on the Green Line) with no stops in between... it's as fast as using your own car!   Of course, vice-versa, Greenbelt to BWI, no other stops in between. $7/person one way.   It's definitely, positively worth it, although keep in mind it's not a coach type bus, it's a city type bus with the big luggage racks, but it's still fine.  Take it by all means.  

(If it's convenient for me and you need a ride from Greenbelt to your hotel in New Carrollton, I can pick you up maybe.  It's like a 5 minute ride on 95 and it sure beats taking the Metro way into town, then way back out, to get 5 miles... or try to figure out the bus system, no doubt there's a bus that goes from NC to Greenbelt (and back) but admittedly I know nothing about the bus routes... maybe it's a direct service or maybe it takes 30 minutes to go 5-6 miles, dunno...But the express from BWI to Greenbelt (and back) is definitely a winner if you're not renting a car. )New Carrollton is my old high school hunting grounds...   

Anyway I'd be glad to help with stuff like that since I'll be up there with my car, kind of a Surly Uber (now I'm talking mostly about around that area - FedEx, Lanhan, New Carrollton, College Park, etc.  basically the Prince George's area., though I could go farther if someone was stuck).

Edited by phdhorn

For getting to the game from downtown (not renting a car), is Metro the way to go?  Looks like a straight shot on the blue line about a block off our hotel (Sofitel).   Any benefit to Uber?  Per google, it doesn't seem like the Uber Pick up/Drop Off lot gets you that much closer but let me know if anyone has done both.