Unconscionable Corruption Can't Buy Off DUI

Harrison Bergeron

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I don't see it in this case, but let's not let this idiot distract us from the fact that Nancy Pelosi is actually one of the most corrupt politicians in America.

Then take it to the Pelosi thread if you've got something on Pelosi and quit trying to make something out of nothing here.  

A political position that singlehandedly sets the House agenda, determines when votes can occur, and staffs committees - the second most powerful position in US politics - is prone to backroom deals and special interest. Who knew?

Pelosi is no worse than Paul Ryan or John Boehner were. The role essentially requires a giant sign hovering overhead with an arrow pointing down below big red letters saying "I like favors, and stock. Or cash will do."

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/29/2022 at 6:26 PM, TwiceHorn said:

What unconscionable corruption is Paul Pelosi guilty of that dozens upon dozens of other financiers, many or most Republicans, have not committed?

Do you agree that the bar should be higher than "well (insert group or person I don't like) are corrupt too"? 

1 hour ago, Caponata said:

Do you agree that the bar should be higher than "well (insert group or person I don't like) are corrupt too"? 

Of course @TwiceHorn thinks the bar should be higher than that, he's just pointing out that OP likely doesn't care when Republicans are corrupt.

We all know Nancy Pelosi is a fucking gargoyle, OP running here trying to score some points for his team by saying "LOOK LOOK HER HUSBAND GOT A DUI LOOK HOW CORRUPT SHE IS" is the stupid part.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Caponata said:

Of course I do.  I don't like career politicians as a general rule and believe that they are subject to and party to, quite a bit of corruption.

But, I also don't believe that Nancy Pelosi is extraordinarily corrupt in the context of career politicians.  And I don't think Paul Pelosi is extraordinarily corrupt in the context of his career/profession, nor have I seen any evidence that corruption in their careers has "intersected."

They're powerful white folks in America, good shit happens to them.  Some of it is probably shady, some of it is the natural order of things here.

Fuck em all if they're corrupt.  But the "unconscionable corruption" is just another talking point.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Of course I do.  I don't like career politicians as a general rule and believe that they are subject to and party to, quite a bit of corruption.

But, I also don't believe that Nancy Pelosi is extraordinarily corrupt in the context of career politicians.  And I don't think Paul Pelosi is extraordinarily corrupt in the context of his career/profession, nor have I seen any evidence that corruption in their careers has "intersected."

They're powerful white folks in America, good shit happens to them.  Some of it is probably shady, some of it is the natural order of things here.

Fuck em all if they're corrupt.  But the "unconscionable corruption" is just another talking point.

You’re level headed on almost everything you post. She’s got some very questionable trades that roll into the 7 figures.  I understand what her husband does for a living.  These trades were outlandish enough to still raise flags.  She’s also a huge opponent to limiting senators ability to trade in the market.  

Edited by fattyflattie

Just now, fattyflattie said:

You’re level headed on almost everything you post. She’s got some very questionable trades that roll into the 7 figures.  I understand what her husband does for a living.  These trades were outlandish enough to still raise flags.  She’s also a huge opponent to limiting senators ability to trade in the market.  

It really is sad that this level of clear insider trading is just treated as a baseline. I am not sure how what the Pelosi's do is any different than what Kelly Loeffler did, and she was widely castigated for her profiteering. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I could be ignorant, but I am not aware of any specific allegations of trading improprieties.  It's always going to be problematic when your spouse is a "professional investor."

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/10-best-stock-traders-in-congress-in-2021-spoiler-nancy-pelosi-isn-t-no-1-1031153996?op=1

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Thx. 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I could be ignorant, but I am not aware of any specific allegations of trading improprieties.  It's always going to be problematic when your spouse is a "professional investor."

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/10-best-stock-traders-in-congress-in-2021-spoiler-nancy-pelosi-isn-t-no-1-1031153996?op=1

I don’t have time to dig it up but can tell you I’m not just picking on her. Think Crenshaw was up there, among many many others.  Her latest was shorting some major bluechip just before a split, iirc.  It was something along those lines.  Absolute perfect timing.  And it was a big trade.  I’ll find it sometime.  But yeah, husbands work provides some deniability.  There’s a website where you can follow the pols trades. I’m not sure it’s updated quick enough to make money alongside them though. 

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Thx. 

I don’t have time to dig it up but can tell you I’m not just picking on her. Think Crenshaw was up there, among many many others.  Her latest was shorting some major bluechip just before a split, iirc.  It was something along those lines.  Absolute perfect timing.  And it was a big trade.  I’ll find it sometime.  But yeah, husbands work provides some deniability.  There’s a website where you can follow the pols trades. I’m not sure it’s updated quick enough to make money alongside them though. 

I thought members of Congress have something like 45 days to report stock transactions (and even that is violated often with few repercussions). That delay would probably mitigate any advantage of mirroring trades for the shadier transactions. And while I would love to live in a world where our elected officials acted to a higher standard than the commoner, its not realistic. It takes a certain level of moral ambiguity to even get to the top of the heap in politics. 

• Hook 'Em 1