The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

My kids like to get out the jet ski and take turns while the other one surfs because the waves are so big. When they get tired of that, I pull them and their friends on tubes behind my wakeboard boat. A whole weekend may go by with no one on a wakeboard. At this point in my life, I’m that guy and give zero shits. 

• Like 5

That's a big assumption.  A lot of them have no self awareness and drive way too close to my dock when kids are swimming and the lake is not crowded/choppy enough to even necessitate hugging the shoreline.  And I agree that yelling doesn't seem to faze them. 

I had to tow one in last summer when he sucked the tow rope up in daddy's fancy $15k three seater.

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Meh. Jumping wakes away from skiers isn’t endangering anyone. Even following a 100’ back isn’t bad, assuming they are paying attention.

It's all fun and games till you have a jet ski mounting your fighting chair.

I think it boils down to time on the water...  Jet skiers tend to be inexperienced and do stupid shit.  New boaters tend to be inexperienced and do stupid shit.  I've seen stuff at "The Regatta" or off the Tiki Bar in Islamorada that would blow your fucking minds.  Although I assume the lake parties get interesting too, but there aren't reefs, tides, waves thrown in the mix.  I assume the booze and trainhorns are ubiquitous though.

Related image

Edited by Loco

Why would you assume they're paying attention if they're only 100' back?  That's definitely too close.

In general I agree though.  The only time it really bothers me is if I have skiers in the water.  But it's been a pretty long time since I've had that happen to me.

52 minutes ago, G650 said:

If a jet ski jumps my wake I usually turn around and point right at them until they shit themselves and run away if I have time for the detour.

My middle finger would like a word with you.

I have a 5’ surf rod in ski locker with a 3oz weight ready for when I get wake jumpers. We never stop surfing and I offer first person to make a hit 20 bucks. The jet skis usually get the idea after first few casts and bail out. We have hit a few though on first cast or clotheslined them with the monofilament as they cut across.

The guys that designed Indmar engine layouts for inboards should be shot. I decided to go ahead and get everything reattached myself from having the boat winterized last year. Apparently in the engine guys infinite wisdom, they put the drain plugs for the block dead square in the middle of the block underneath the manifolds with all of the electronics blocking access. The shop must have a hobbit that crawls around under there to take them out in the fall and I’m really not sure why they don’t just fill it with antifreeze instead. Tomorrow’s job is to go through the bottom of the boat and see if I can locate the one that got dropped.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 9:41 PM, Texaus said:

No law against trolling while you’re surfing

There are laws against murder though.  I get it, you're mad, still you should be in control of your faculties if you're operating a vessel.  If you're serious, you should have never posted, because that my friend could be exhibit 1 at both your Murder 2 and subsequent civil trials.   Not to mention a miss or non critical hit might have Jet ski boy(z) waiting back at the docks for you...  best case scenario you attenuate your impotent rage and the Jet Ski dude just reports you and nothing happens.  Sounds like a fun day on the water No? 

Perhaps you should just report him and let him deal with the water popo.  I don't think they much care for Jet Skiers either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, G650 said:

Sounds like the Mills 68 Prospector lost their rig this morning in the Annapolis Newport race. That's gonna be a spendy replacement. 

So what is that?  100k for a new stick and that again for some sails?

does the manufacturer ever cut you a break if it’s a defective (whatever part) or - shit happens - pay up?

How far out/down?

whats their plan?  Rig up something and downwind it wherever, or locate some fuel and slow motor?

Finally got my Key West up and running well enough to take the family out on the water.  Its been sitting up for a couple of years with lower unit issue and then I found some fuel intake issues late last year.  Had the VST pump and filters changed out in May and got it out on the water and found it wouldn't get to full RPM so I swapped out the injectors last week and took it out Saturday afternoon with the wife, my son and a friend of his from college.   Boat was running well and we had great conditions on the lake.    Pretty nice heading back to the barn on a glassed over lake and the setting sun.     

Saturday.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, CoTex said:

does the manufacturer ever cut you a break if it’s a defective (whatever part) or - shit happens - pay up?

How far out/down?

whats their plan?  Rig up something and downwind it wherever, or locate some fuel and slow motor?

I was too busy giggling at the 100k to answer the questions I guess...

I doubt they get a break on this, it's an 11 year old rig. It broke at the hanger I saw on SA, heading into here (Norfolk) under power.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

I was too busy giggling at the 100k to answer the questions I guess...

I doubt they get a break on this, it's an 11 year old rig. It broke at the hanger I saw on SA, heading into here (Norfolk) under power.

I was guessing the price for some cheap middle east knock-off shit, not American made.  For some quality American made carbon work, 4-6 sounds about right.

Just now, CoTex said:

I was guessing the price for some cheap middle east knock-off shit, not American made.  For some quality American made carbon work, 4-6 sounds about right.

I'm pretty sure there is no Chinese knock off of this. Going to have to go to Southern Spars or Hall NZ.

You could go to another tube supplier like Lorima in France, but they specialize in burly Open 60 and multi rigs. Or Offshore Spars here in the states, but they have not done many race boat rigs.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:11 PM, CoTex said:

20190612-085831.jpg

20190612-085939.jpg

Bad day at the office. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CoTex said:

It looks really good.  It makes that blue leadmine look really sad.

Since I’m a fucking know-it-all I’m going to continue with the questions.

why assemble mast on deck and not on ground?  Seems easier.

You mean like this?

20190614-103512.jpg

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

You mean like this?

20190614-103512.jpg

One day when I'm part of your travelling squad, you're going to benefit from this interaction.  I won't have to ask any questions - I'll just seamlessly integrate.

Carry on.

Surly help:

outboard issues. 115 yahama 4 stroke. 

Never had an issue until it sat for a year after the hurricane. The ethanol created water in the fuel and we had to flush/clean and replace everything. Flushed the tank, replace all filters, water separator, clean injectors etc. 

2 mechanics and a couple of grand later we get the same issue.

The motor won’t go past 3k rpm under load. Revs free in neutral. The more you throttle up the more it slows down. It’s clear it’s still a fuel issue and this is what it did when we started working on it. (Original issue) 

Bad part is the mechanic has a lake and ran it before we put in and all was well. We trouble shot it for hours on the bay trying everything we could think of but no dice.

Take it back to the mechanic who then puts it in his lake and it immediately hits 6k+ rpm and runs fine. They checked all the fuel and accessories again and found nothing. 

My last guess here is that there must be a physical issue that happens when trailering and driving the boat?  A loose connection that moves around while on the trailer?  A crimped hose?

Quick summary: Worked at mechanic, drive it to bay and put in...won’t run past 3k.  Trailer and drive back to mechanic, put in and now runs flawless??

It’s crazy that for 6 hours in the water we get nothing and it runs perfect for him the next day.  I’m at a loss

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Just went through fuel issues on my F150TXRD.  New water separator filter, engine fuel, VST filter, vst pump, float and needle valve. About $2K worth of work.  It ran good for part of the day, then started to bog down, only reaching about 4K rpm.   Replacing injectors worked to get my RPM back .  

Have you tried it since running at the mechanics?  Was the mechanic able to get the boat on plane in his lake or just reving it in neutral.   Is it idling rough in neutral or low speed?   Di you send out and have the injectors cleaned and test or did the mechanic clean them?  To me, it sounds like the injectors still have issues. 

I bought a used set that had been cleaned and tested off of ebay for less than $100 and it takes about 10 minutes to replace them.  I would go to where I could run the boat and try it as is.  If it is still bogging, I would change out the injectors and try again.  Check the injector plugs to make sure they are all firmly connected.

Edited by davidg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Just went through fuel issues on my F150TXRD.  New water separator filter, engine fuel, VST filter, vst pump, float and needle valve. About $2K worth of work.  It ran good for part of the day, then started to bog down, only reaching about 4K rpm.   Replacing injectors worked to get my RPM back .  

Have you tried it since running at the mechanics?  Was the mechanic able to get the boat on plane in his lake or just reving it in neutral.   Is it idling rough in neutral or low speed?   Di you send out and have the injectors cleaned and test or did the mechanic clean them?  To me, it sounds like the injectors still have issues. 

I bought a used set that had been cleaned and tested off of ebay for less than $100 and it takes about 10 minutes to replace them.  I would go to where I could run the boat and try it as is.  If it is still bogging, I would change out the injectors and try again.  Check the injector plugs to make sure they are all firmly connected.

the mechanic just ran it yesterday so haven’t run it since he just did. He said they had it on plane, over 40 mph 6k+ rpm. Did it multiple times. Shut it down and waited, did it again and could not recreate the problem. (Wasn’t just in neutral). Old man is going by there on Monday to test drive in their lake as well. 

Injectors were replaced. Idle is normal, pissing is normal, low speed tone is normal. At no time did the engine itself sound odd or off. Just wouldn’t increase power. That’s what makes me wonder if there is a physical issue that is being intermittently caused when trailering and driving. 

1 minute ago, G650 said:

1973.1967-CORVETTE-STINGRAY-JET-BOAT.jpg

I always wanted to build a "low rider" parade boat.  Use an old atomic style 50s boat and have ballast tanks and pumps.  Or a weight on a ram that moves the CG forward and aft quickly so the boat could undulate down the intercoastal.  Tassels and stereo also mandatory.

b276bf692bd74fd55a43c6c05ed20e1c.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 8:53 AM, G650 said:

20190615-095750.jpg

Damn, you guys are slapping her together quick.  So question on a sled like this- with no auxiliary power, do you sail in and out of the slip, or have a dinghy assist?  Seems like that thing would get a head of steam and be tough to slow down sliding into a slip.

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Damn, you guys are slapping her together quick.  So question on a sled like this- with no auxiliary power, do you sail in and out of the slip, or have a dinghy assist?  Seems like that thing would get a head of steam and be tough to slow down sliding into a slip.

Not quick enough, but she is getting there.

We do have an engine, Volvo 30 with a sail drive.

4 hours ago, G650 said:

Not quick enough, but she is getting there.

We do have an engine, Volvo 30 with a sail drive.

Ah, I would have thought so but didn't see where the prop shaft was to come out.  Forgot that sail drives are all the rage these days.

10 minutes ago, G650 said:

You may be the only person I know to classify the past thirty years as "these days".

"Get off my deck!"

(and no, saildrives on typical racer/cruisers were not a thing until the last decade.  I do not run in the super racer crowd like you).

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1