The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

5c1501ee3ccc6c81f567f205562f1adb.jpg

Got this bad ass board today. Fiberglass board buoyant and an awesome ride (tried out one last year). Burnt orange bottom, white and burnt orange trim on the top. I’m going to add opposite colored longhorn silhouette stickers (white sticker on burnt orange and burnt orange sticker on white) soon. Can’t wait to ride ...

e531aa248995085f03df42454b310330.jpg

• Like 3

Just wanted to drop a note that after 6 months, I’ve been happy that we got a Freedom boat club membership (Conroe)... I used the hell out of it in the fall last year and took one of the kids out last weekend on a pontoon fishing trip last weekend... only downside so far is you can’t book a boat for the day (8-2, 2-8 sessions) and the lack of a storage locker for skis and fishing poles at/near the dock... love being able to just show up and jump on the boat without the hassles having to pull a boat out of storage and launching it and then the reverse when done... not cheap but for the next few year with the kids at this age (13), it’s been a better option so far than buying my own boat... Haven’t tried using the membership at other locations yet but am hoping to do a fishing run this spring at the sister club in Clear Lake...  (anyone have a good map of brush piles in Conroe for fishing?)

• Like 2

That last pic is the kinda boat I’d probably end up getting if I lived down here. Probs a little larger but this one had twin 150’s so it could certainly get up and move.

Shared a pic of the sailfish I caught in the fishing thread.

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:

Qualified Captain (thequalifiedcaptain) on Instagram has been on the money this Spring with boat fails. FYI

These are great.  I love watching boating/boat ramp idiots.  Luckily, I've only been that boat ramp idiot once or twice.

A simple haulout for a bottom job and shaft seal has ballooned to about triple my original estimate.  All discretionary stuff- new heat exchanger, rebed chainplates, rebed all starboard side ports a they were all leaking, new dorade vents, and strip, brighten, and oil all topside teak.  I will not be informing the wife of these elections.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:18 PM, DCA_HORN said:

Ah that makes sense, I was thinking it was titanium. 

Everything else is ti. Generally you want everything up high as light as possible, and the bulb as heavy as possible. Lower vertical center of gravity, higher the righting moment, equals more sail carrying power which is more speed.

There was an arms race to use depleted uranium and tungsten for awhile, but it has either been banned or given a prohibitive penalty depending on rating rule. 

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

A simple haulout for a bottom job and shaft seal has ballooned to about triple my original estimate.  All discretionary stuff- new heat exchanger, rebed chainplates, rebed all starboard side ports a they were all leaking, new dorade vents, and strip, brighten, and oil all topside teak.  I will not be informing the wife of these elections.

I haul out in June for a bottom job, saildrive & thru hull maintenance. I'm not looking forward to whatever else we find.

Speaking of heat exchangers, I've made my yearly contribution to the Volvo Penta pension fund:

R0zjN-gtbj3zDbzvF0J-yFI4BV8QttF0g4rtFwPv

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Viking said:

I haul out in June for a bottom job, saildrive & thru hull maintenance. I'm not looking forward to whatever else we find.

Speaking of heat exchangers, I've made my yearly contribution to the Volvo Penta pension fund:

R0zjN-gtbj3zDbzvF0J-yFI4BV8QttF0g4rtFwPv

How is the Manta and the cruise planning going?  Have you recalibrated a cast-off date?  The more you dig into that engine(s) and get to know it, the better.  Keep that "retiring on a ship" thread going with updates.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:31 PM, Sbbruin said:

How is the Manta and the cruise planning going?  Have you recalibrated a cast-off date?  The more you dig into that engine(s) and get to know it, the better.  Keep that "retiring on a ship" thread going with updates.

It's been fantastic. Everyone is still happy with the lifestyle and boat even though we've not left Florida yet. We decided to spend another year here to gain some experience and finish up a couple of more biggish jobs: new solar panels (going from 360 to 1200 watts), new batteries, new fuel filters (racor 500s),and getting the watermaker working.

We try to go sailing every week and have anchored out a couple of times. 

We were anchored last weekend in Pelican Bay. After spending time on the beach with some friends we were heading back to the boat when we came upon this scene:

pVcawZPbnmvZiUJJRjAjLO0KNRmIvgdbMIKFilFH

That monohull on the left with sails up and facing the opposite direction of all the other anchored boats? Whoops. The two dinghys were trying get him off the ground but they were both underpowered (<10hp outboards). One of the ladies hopped in our dinghy and between her, my wife, and our 20hp outboard we were able to induce enough heel by pulling on one of their halyards enough to get them off of the shoal.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Viking said:

It's been fantastic. Everyone is still happy with the lifestyle and boat even though we've not left Florida yet. We decided to spend another year here to gain some experience and finish up a couple of more biggish jobs: new solar panels (going from 360 to 1200 watts), new batteries, new fuel filters (racor 500s),and getting the watermaker working.

We try to go sailing every week and have anchored out a couple of times. 

We were anchored last weekend in Pelican Bay. After spending time on the beach with some friends we were heading back to the boat when we came upon this scene:

pVcawZPbnmvZiUJJRjAjLO0KNRmIvgdbMIKFilFH

That monohull on the left with sails up and facing the opposite direction of all the other anchored boats? Whoops. The two dinghys were trying get him off the ground but they were both underpowered (<10hp outboards). One of the ladies hopped in our dinghy and between her, my wife, and our 20hp outboard we were able to induce enough heel by pulling on one of their halyards enough to get them off of the shoal.

Good call on getting a bit more experience, and knowledge of the boat, before heading off.  Proper preparation is critical.  Sooooooo jealous.  

12b9701a27b1c816552fe0411f59ad0e.jpg

I remember when it looked like that the first time...you know, back when I got invited to fish from it...

*asks wife if she has spare diapers in purse and thinks longingly about when 72 hrs of planning entailed full tank of gas, packing backpack with fishing license, sunscreen, deodorant, toothpaste, and icing down a couple cases*

Yeah.  Tell me about it.  The closest thing I've done to running it has been dragging it all over and having people do shit to it that I normally do, because time.  One of these days I'm going to get just a few days off and the Wx is going to be nice...

Bring your kiddo's in a month or so we will be hitting sand bars in Lake Houston and Trinity.  Or whats left of Friday beach.

Thanks Fatty.  She’s long in the tooth but boy do I love her.  She’s old and flawed just like me.  I guess that’s why I connect with her so well.  We will head to sea together tomorrow, and I rely on her and she relies on me.  It’s fun.  Cheesy sentimentality, but I have covered a LOT of distance in this boat.  And looking forward to more.

• Like 1

I guess the Spanish government had at one point given the city of Corpus Christie replicas of the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria.  The Pinta and SM were demolished a few years back.  And now the Nina has sunk.

image2-2.jpeg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=n

https://kristv.com/news/local-news/2019/04/23/replica-columbus-ship-sinks-at-corpus-christi-marina/?fbclid=IwAR3yqSgtwOJvM-WdhDluqylfguTdV5wQr68UlaKdb_AGu3QY6WhxNvW_rEQ

Of course, I can no longer think of those three ships without thinking of

tenor.gif?itemid=10670377

• Like 2