The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 hour ago, troph said:

How did that happen?

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Gonna go with left it in reverse, didn't set brake. 

I'm gonna go with insurance... nevermind Truck doesn't look new enough.

After the last big hike in gas prices (2008 ish) it was an epidemic.  Oh that jet ski pulled your 3yr old Canyonero in?  

I got it in my head that I wanted to upgrade wake boats this winter so I looked at a couple of new Axis when I picked my boat up from being winterized. Both were $90k. I guess their time as a “budget” wake boat is behind them now. I’ll stick with what I have and switch gears to go back to finding a new bay boat instead.

• Like 1

I got it in my head that I wanted to upgrade wake boats this winter so I looked at a couple of new Axis when I picked my boat up from being winterized. Both were $90k. I guess their time as a “budget” wake boat is behind them now. I’ll stick with what I have and switch gears to go back to finding a new bay boat instead.

A fucking axis was 90k ??? You can get a 2 year old LSV for that

16 hours ago, troph said:

The “name brand” wake surf boats are about as much as a gently used “old man” cruiser these days. It’s nutty.

Been that way for a while, but Axis was originally branded as Malibu’s no frills pure wake brand. Of course when you compare them to the big brands I guess they are still budget but the budget has changed. I haven’t looked lately so I just scanned boats on Boat Trader. There are Supra’s and Mastercrafts pushing $200k now. Hopefully the used boat market is getting a nice bump. 

Edited by Brew

Damn, there is a Malibu 25 VLX posted for $215k. You go a year or two older and they are $100k less. That’s some painful depreciation. These numbers are nuts. It hurt my feelings to spend $60k on my Nautique 220 back in 07 or 08. I do pretty well and there would be no chance of me spending $200k on a wake boat.

4 hours ago, troph said:

And I honestly thought my new axis was excessive. The wave is sick though I’ll admit.

Thst’s the crazy part of the whole thing, my X-1 throws what most would consider one of the best wakes out there. The same could be said for an early 00’s 210 or 205. I like new stuff more than most, but I just don’t see it with these boats. $100k I can still justify although with some irritation, but when did they cross $200k? I guess it’s still a better buy than the $150k pontoon I saw recently.

Thst’s the crazy part of the whole thing, my X-1 throws what most would consider one of the best wakes out there. The same could be said for an early 00’s 210 or 205. I like new stuff more than most, but I just don’t see it with these boats. $100k I can still justify although with some irritation, but when did they cross $200k? I guess it’s still a better buy than the $150k pontoon I saw recently.

I’m not paying over $100k for a surf boat.

That’s another new thing that probably shows I go back too far and am a little get off my lawnish, a surf boat. My girls and nephews still wakeboard. They will surf occasionally but it’s too slow. They are a lot more interested in wakeboarding and trying to get air right now. I’ll still ride the skate on occasion and show them how it’s done, but I’m past the point of wanting to be strapped in so I skate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

I’m the opposite. I’m older and don’t want to step off the skate wrong and break everything. I still wakeboard and prefer it. Surfing is cool for the end of the day, I guess. Or maybe when it’s rough. Even drunk, I prefer wakeboarding.

My firefighter buddy and his ACL say HI.

Heard of way too many knee injuries on Wakeboards, can't say I've heard of a single injury wake surfing, other than the wake fucking up docks and other boats heading the other way.

I think we’re pretty much the same age if I remember right, just turned 40. I ride the skate a lot slower, so when I eat it I’m not going down as hard as catching an edge or landing wrong with the board. For some reason my knees and ankles just don’t hold up to being locked in. I still surf some, but after having my boat bounced all over the dock our lake just isn’t big enough.

A long way from you guys now, I’m in TN. I spent a lot of time on Travis growing up and our lakes in this area of the state don’t compare.

A wakeskate is a board you stand on and ride just like a skateboard. It’s smaller than a wakeboard, but they are usually much more solid. To goofy’s point you can do some serious damage on one (or it to you) if you’re not careful or if you’re trying aerials before you get the hang of riding one, but I just ride at this point and do simple stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That’s not ugly. 

Hey there Stevie Wonder.

10 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Whoa.  Are you having a boat built from scratch?  Please share more pictures if you can, that is awesome.

Indeed. I should have another build update soon, will definitely keep showing the progress. I figured a lot of you would dig seeing the process.

• Like 2