The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

On 8/18/2018 at 10:04 AM, G650 said:

Yeah, I'm just surprised something as obscure as this went through the interwebs so quick. I got this picture texted to me by the guy that took it.

The type 1s on the power boaters really sets it off.

As a non terrible person I advocate forcibly removing all J/105s from the gene pool obviously, but this is a little over the top even for me.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the boat but I never caught the attraction to race them one-design.  If I lived in SF and double handed with a spouse, it might even be on my list but again, that’s a heavy sumbitch.   

Personally, I like the j/35 better.  More adjustments and better in the light.

A j/35 in about 30 knots with the 1.5 up and pole back is a cool experience. You’re not going to turn and you can’t stop.

Alas, now those days are gone.  Now everything is sprits and string drops.  It took real men to juggle the heavy pole and pull down a big kite.  

Are you old enough to have ever used a wire guy/afterguy?

52 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the boat but I never caught the attraction to race them one-design.  If I lived in SF and double handed with a spouse, it might even be on my list but again, that’s a heavy sumbitch.   

Personally, I like the j/35 better.  More adjustments and better in the light.

A j/35 in about 30 knots with the 1.5 up and pole back is a cool experience. You’re not going to turn and you can’t stop.

Alas, now those days are gone.  Now everything is sprits and string drops.  It took real men to juggle the heavy pole and pull down a big kite.  

Are you old enough to have ever used a wire guy/afterguy?

I sailed in the 80s on a Ron Holland IOR 41 that was a derivative of Imp. The boat actually did the 79' Fastnet as Lancer V, but that was before we brought it to the States.

I always crack up at the nostalgia for poles. Handling a 200 Sqm kite on a 40 foot boat is much more skilled and technical work than dealing with a pole and those handkerchief sized kites. 

The problem with the J105 isn't the boat per se, but the people it attracts.

My guess on the life jackets is they know they're fucked and getting a full body cavity search by the coast guard, police or whoever has jurisdiction there.

"Boys, I know the law says we just gotta have life jackets for enough souls onboard, but put those fuckers on.  I'm in enough shit as is.  Jim, you hold the whistle.  Bill, you grab the horn.  Frank, here's the flares.  Hank, you dump all the beer and whiskey overboard.  I'll hide the coke in the head.  Craig, you know what to do.  The usual.  Dump the five dead hookers overboard."
Allegedly

6 hours ago, G650 said:

I sailed in the 80s on a Ron Holland IOR 41 that was a derivative of Imp. The boat actually did the 79' Fastnet as Lancer V, but that was before we brought it to the States.

I always crack up at the nostalgia for poles. Handling a 200 Sqm kite on a 40 foot boat is much more skilled and technical work than dealing with a pole and those handkerchief sized kites. 

The problem with the J105 isn't the boat per se, but the people it attracts.

Well, they didn’t feel like hankerchief sized kites when somebody fucked up.  You’ll have to get me a ride on that Farr 400 and show me how skilled and technical everything is.

10 hours ago, CoTex said:

Well, they didn’t feel like hankerchief sized kites when somebody fucked up.  You’ll have to get me a ride on that Farr 400 and show me how skilled and technical everything is.

Alas, the 400 is gone on to greener pastures. Next project is a Carkeek 40. If the timing ever works some day would love to have you come along.

You can be old guy yelling at the bowsprit clouds.

FrdUnjpeg.jpg

Well, since we are doing it already, this was about a month ago during the run in on the final day of Lonestar Shootout in POC. The fishing boat that sank is based out of Port A. I know pretty much everyone who was on the boat including the captain. The story goes that they were on autopilot and whoever was on the bridge left and went downstairs to take a picture with the marlin they were bringing in to weigh. With all the lawsuits that are going to happen I doubt I’ll ever hear exactly what went wrong. Regardless, it’s unbelievably stupid that it happened and they are fortunate no one was seriously hurt or killed.

3_C6_F65_A8_F880_40_ED_B335_0303_A51_D06

21_D0_BD1_A_FBF3_45_DB_A248_3_C3449_B266

DB09046_A_7702_4_D21_89_BC_A5519_EA244_C

More coming

I've found over the years the recreational power boat sector is easily one of the biggest havens for stupidity. I really cannot adequately describe how sharp the line is between commercial/sail/superyacht sectors and this shit. There are not enough superlatives in the English language.

Wait what happened?

Well, since we are doing it already, this was about a month ago during the run in on the final day of Lonestar Shootout in POC. The fishing boat that sank is based out of Port A. I know pretty much everyone who was on the boat including the captain. The story goes that they were on autopilot and whoever was on the bridge left and went downstairs to take a picture with the marlin they were bringing in to weigh. With all the lawsuits that are going to happen I doubt I’ll ever hear exactly what went wrong. Regardless, it’s unbelievably stupid that it happened and they are fortunate no one was seriously hurt or killed.
3_C6_F65_A8_F880_40_ED_B335_0303_A51_D068_A.jpg
21_D0_BD1_A_FBF3_45_DB_A248_3_C3449_B26622.jpg
DB09046_A_7702_4_D21_89_BC_A5519_EA244_C9.jpg

More coming

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah but that boat and most like it are run by professional captains. 99% of them are responsible and much more than just competent. If the captain is not on the bridge someone else is supposed to be up there. Heck, on our boats we have someone up there 24/7 even if we are just drifting at night. At most there might be 2 or 3 minutes at night when whoever has night watch goes downstairs to wake up the next watch. If there is a shift change at night and we do happen to be running, the boat goes into idle.  But running at 30 knots with no one up there? Insane.

12 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah but that boat and most like it are run by professional captains.

More than most, just about all are. This is a hell of a lot more boat than say a 32 Blackfin. Very, very few people can handle an 60'+ yacht competently.

99% of them are responsible and much more than just competent.

I actually disagree here. 80% to 90% maybe are very good and competent, there is a substantial portion that are not though. In other sectors, it's definitely 99.9999%, but unfortunately not in the rec fishing category. But, as a group they are way ahead of the booze cruise and parasail fleets, which I would put at maybe 50% competent.

Insane.

Truly insane.

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

Every few months we get a boat up on Jetty rocks or hard on the beach because the crew set the autopilot and began screwing around.    Becoming complacent on the water is a great way to remove yourself from the gene pool

I can't seem to find the picture at the moment, but a guy I've known almost my whole life bricked up on a local jetty with his deadrise by literally screwing while under auto.

I always took the early morning wheel watch, 1-4 am, I might have been miserable from lack of sleep, but we were all alive. All it took was feeling a rogue wave, waking up, walk into the wheel house and no one is there. Guy on watch is asleep outside.

ah offshore drilling...    I was 14 miles off Looe Key and the fishing was SLOW but it was a beautiful glass flat day...  Started fooling around with the wife a little bit, so I reeled the lines in tight to the boat and left it in idle to keep from tangling while taking care of bidness....   As we are entering the 4th quarter, all hell brakes loose and every fucking line goes off.  Big Bull on the left flatline, gaffers on the other 5.  Just a fucking mess, lines are crossing, fish and blood on the deck, buck naked... it took like an hour to get everything straight/untangled.  It was sunny and hot, the school must have come up under the boat for shade/structure ...  

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

So what you are saying is everyone came at once.

no...  if the fish had been smaller, or only 1 on, I would have just ignored it...and let the boat pull it around (aka trolling for Marlin)  but when that bull hit the flat line it was clear that the status quo had changed...  then outriggers start violently poping... come on, man!

I didn't reset the lines after though...  well not for a while.

49 minutes ago, G650 said:

Oof, living dangerously my friend.

I pulled it out 5 years ago when it got put up on the rocks and suffered $35K in damages (not including the $12K midnight tow).  Insurance covered everything and the boat came out of it better than it went in.  Insurance company did everything I asked.  Brief incomplete list: new- prop, prop shaft, dripless seal, rudder, rudder post, batteries (they got wet but otherwise were fine, but I said they had to get replaced), all new standing rigging (I argued the stress to the rigging from the boat going on its side strain it, and they said fine), massive fiberglass and gelcoat repairs and a number of other things.  But my insurance premium for a charter boat was 4 times more than a standard premium, so I got my money out of them.

Damn dude. That’s rough.

Yeah, it sucked, but I’ve been in worse boat wrecks. We were only going about 10 mph when we hit. Thank the Lord we weren’t taking on water fast or anything (rudder was sheared off at the hull), and I was able to steer us to that boat ramp you see in the photo using a wake board. Here’s a pic of the damage:

86f17e4402debbea4e45d59cd144eb9d.jpg
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Loco said:

Worst humble brag ever!

Definitely no brag. No injuries, not taking on water, still under power = just an inconvenience. The bad wreck I was in was in Belize in the mid-90's and for a second or two I thought we might be in serious trouble, one of our group was injured. 

On 8/24/2018 at 8:45 PM, 686 said:

Solid limestone. This rock shelf is unmarked, I hadn’t been in this part of the lake before. I was 100+ yards off the shoreline, about where the red pin is:

7d9a65332e311fb9190aab23104a44e4.png

Yep, that’s Belton Lake. There’s a spot worse than that across the late at Temple Lake Park. Every year a few boat hit that thing. It probably sticks out about 150 yards from the bank. 

2 hours ago, 686 said:

Definitely no brag. No injuries, not taking on water, still under power = just an inconvenience. The bad wreck I was in was in Belize in the mid-90's and for a second or two I thought we might be in serious trouble, one of our group was injured. 

My professional opinion is to stop running into shit.

My professional opinion is to stop running into shit.

I concur, doctor. The Belize incident happened right after they had passed a law saying all inshore boat drivers had to be native Belizian. The dude didn’t know one end of and outboard from the other and ran us into a dock at about 20 mph. (I was a passenger on a dive)