The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Well interesting turn of events.  Wife called to say they have a conflict and won’t be able to make the last ferry at 7:15 tonight.  Which means they would have to come on the 8am ferry tomorrow.  She then says “do you think it’s worth it to come for one day?”  I say “for me it’s worth it to come for one hour., but it’s up to you.”  They aren’t coming.  But I’m going anyway.  Solo weekend to Catalina.  I can do that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Catalina 36.  But an ‘85.

One of the most popular boats ever. You can't go wrong with an old well maintained Catalina. Friend of mine had a 32 IIRC. We used to sleep on it at the club before leaving in the middle of the night on the tide doing race boat deliveries. Thing had the most wicked A/C I've ever seen on a boat.

It has a great online community of really knowledgeable folks.  If you ever have a problem, you'll get dozens of answers as to how to diagnose and fix it.  That has proven to be invaluable.  There were over 2400 C36's built (mine was hull #400).  It's 33 years old, and parts of it look it, but I try to keep it in as good of working condition as I can, and cosmetically decent as is practical.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 2:47 PM, G650 said:

So new mast is enroute, Southern have a pretty slick system for retrofitting EC6 carbon shrouds in.

IMG_20180926_WA0000.jpg

Composite materials all ordered, engine ordered, design work begun. Hope to sea trial in Dubai first week of March.

What is that?  A spreader tip without an open end?

is the new boat a 40 or something bigger?

10 minutes ago, CoTex said:

What is that?  A spreader tip without an open end?

is the new boat a 40 or something bigger?

Yeah, it keeps the lateral rigging within the spreader instead of tied on the outside. A little cleaner.

New boat is Carkeek 40 MkIV. That rig pictured though looks like it's off large cruiser, Southern just passed it along.

7 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah, it keeps the lateral rigging within the spreader instead of tied on the outside. A little cleaner.

New boat is Carkeek 40 MkIV. That rig pictured though looks like it's off large cruiser, Southern just passed it along.

That’s a very nice boat.  First race planned yet?

I’m curious, regatta to regatta, this boat goes over the road, not on the deck of a transport ship, right. Stuff it all in a container and hire someone to move the container?

I remember the j/125 rain cloud had a removable keel and sat on the trailer sideways.  Looked like a pain in the ass to disassemble and load.

9 hours ago, CoTex said:

That’s a very nice boat.  First race planned yet?

I’m curious, regatta to regatta, this boat goes over the road, not on the deck of a transport ship, right. Stuff it all in a container and hire someone to move the container?

I remember the j/125 rain cloud had a removable keel and sat on the trailer sideways.  Looked like a pain in the ass to disassemble and load.

We will start out with some local spring stuff and go from there. Maybe do the Mac again next year.

It goes on a road trailer like the 400, but will have to be rocked on its side due to width. I never figured out why the J125s went on their side unless it was height, because they are very narrow.

20180412_080717.jpg

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Takes some balls traveling with a carbon mast that expensive where some teenager texting could ram into it. Damn.

I let the insurance company worry about that.

If it happens on the way to the regatta, then looks like we all have a week's vacation of eating and drinking.

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Try and find someone with a Moth. Will take you a few tries to get on the foil, but it's a hoot when you do.

I keep threatening to get another 18 footer, but I know I don't remotely have the time.

Alt_3211.jpg

Got out on Lake Travis for one more outing today. It was perfect, minimal traffic, water temps were great and levels have a nice start to get us where we need to be by next season. And now the coming 50 degree temp drop officially ending my season.

• Like 2