The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

yeah, that's a shitty sailor.  The Midway is quite large, and it's not going anywhere. 

YEP - tough to explain to your insurance how you ran into an anchored aircraft carrier. Also from what I remember from touring it - it's not exactly anywhere near a channel. This is the same as running your craft into the shoreline

If the carrier was underway, I could *maybe* see it happening.   Some of those big navy ships can out run a sportfish, nevermind a sailboat.

Growing up sailing lasers on the Chesapeake bay I have had a few scares with big ships (tankers/colliers) moving a lot faster than you'd think, but have a submarine surface close to you and you'll get watertight real quick!

4 hours ago, Loco said:

If the carrier was underway, I could *maybe* see it happening.   Some of those big navy ships can out run a sportfish, nevermind a sailboat.

Growing up sailing lasers on the Chesapeake bay I have had a few scares with big ships (tankers/colliers) moving a lot faster than you'd think, but have a submarine surface close to you and you'll get watertight real quick!

Sub wake is the best wake.

1 hour ago, troph said:

Great night on Lake Travis. It’s the most wonderful time of the year...

* though we probs won’t go back out until after 5pm on Monday.

Run and hide.  We’ll be on LBJ this weekend though.  If anyone’s in Horseshoe bay, come swing by casa de MailRoom.  We’ll have the game playing and plenty of suds.

• Like 1

We ended up goin out last night at 6pm and the insistence of my boys and ran all the way up near cow’s creek and found glass and few boats at 7pm. Surfed for an hour - I had my best run yet - easily 5-6 minutes with no rope and moving around on the wave. So much fun!

2 hours ago, Loco said:

boat ramps are good wholesome entertainment.  My grandfather used to go have his morning coffee at D&M just to watch the weekend warriors

So it turns out it was a guy I've known my whole life. Ha. He then proceeded to help us get the Jupiter on the trailer and snapped the cable lol.

17 hours ago, Loco said:

so dock lines? Or put it back in and go buy a new cable?  I have done the dock line trick in a pinch, but man it's nerve racking

Fortunately I haven't unpacked the dualie from all the sailboat shit after the Chicago Mac since the boat was sold and there was no pressing need to get it out, and mostly, I was lazy. So I had several hundred feet of 6mm Dyneema single braid. Lash it up and voila.

I wouldn't trust a dock line on it. She weighs about 9k loaded.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I've used dock lines on a 20' runabout.  But I think G650's rig is a little larger than that...

I've used it on  a 31' Sea Vee....    just sink the trailer deep as you dare, get the dock line around the bow eye, power on the trailer and tie the dock line off to the winch stand.  Hook your safety chain up and crawl out of the ramp.  ezpz

I wasn't 9k but it wouldn't really matter unless the ramp was steep or you buttered your bunks.  I was in the keys late on a Sunday night, not a lot of options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loco said:

I've used it on  a 31' Sea Vee....    just sink the trailer deep as you dare, get the dock line around the bow eye, power on the trailer and tie the dock line off to the winch stand.  Hook your safety chain up and crawl out of the ramp.  ezpz

I wasn't 9k but it wouldn't really matter unless the ramp was steep or you buttered your bunks.  I was in the keys late on a Sunday night, not a lot of options.

The boat was already on the trailer and up the ramp, the winch isn't strong enough to pull it on, you have to power on. He was just tightening it down, with a bit too much enthusiasm.

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

The boat was already on the trailer and up the ramp, the winch isn't strong enough to pull it on, you have to power on. He was just tightening it down, with a bit too much enthusiasm.

oh, that sucks, but it's better to have it let loose like that.   Pro tip (or maybe dip shit tip) once you tighten up the strap/cable and are out of the ramp, pull forward 30' and do a little brake check... get out, tighten strap up again...  no need to get butch on the wench handle....   also, if you've ever seen someone get shalayleed by a wench handle you'll give that thing a lot more respect.

my favorite is when the local ramp vagrants have stolen your wench handle...but have an extra one they found that they'll sell you.  I keep and extra in the truck.

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

oh, that sucks, but it's better to have it let loose like that.   Pro tip (or maybe dip shit tip) once you tighten up the strap/cable and are out of the ramp, pull forward 30' and do a little brake check... get out, tighten strap up again...  no need to get butch on the wench handle....   also, if you've ever seen someone get shalayleed by a wench handle you'll give that thing a lot more respect.

my favorite is when the local ramp vagrants have stolen your wench handle...but have an extra one they found that they'll sell you.  I keep and extra in the truck.

On this boat I actually don't put the winch on until I have the boat up and out of the water. There's a safety chain that is actually responsible for holding the boat on, the winch is just for snugging the bow down so it doesn't bounce. Our buddy got a little carried away and demonstrated the winch isn't capable of moving the boat. I think it was this thread, or maybe the old forum where I said you should have twice the rating in your winch as boat weight, and several people didn't believe. Ha.

To be honest, I have no worry about the boat coming off the back, I can't get the truck moving out of the hole that fast. It's the braking that the boat moves as you've noticed.

Got my oldest up and over four outta six times late yesterday afternoon. Heck yeah!! Took the whole summer but the fall and next year will be epic!

Pic from a video of the last run.

33e376494e2ae1b44a53a2dbb73ce556.png

Man I have a lot to say about a lot of things but holy shit I was proud to see this kiddo tell me he was gonna do it and then back it up. Hell yeah!

• Like 4