The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

That’s the thing.  If I can leave it on my aft rail where I store it, I can’t get a bucket under it.  Moving it means getting another place to mount it while flushing.  Or remove the prop.  But I won’t and will just try not to lose a finger.

Does the pump turn in neutral? I had a small outboard on my dinghy many years ago, and the water pump only turned when the unit was in gear, meaning the prop had to be turning either and forward or reverse. I was flushing it in a bucket once and sheared the prop key.

It was probably a 1980s model outboard. It was a Montgomery Ward branded unit that was made either by Johnson or Evinrude, I don’t recall

Yup, I put a skeggard on my old boat, right after hitting something in the middle of Lake Austin, and sheering off the bottom couple inches of the skeg.  Luckily no damage to prop or drive shaft.

First thing I did on my new boat was install another.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:23 AM, Bert Orange said:

And can’t be too soon, with this 11-12ft fucker setting up shop in my cove. Kids won’t get in the water. I told them it would only help my cause to get something in there smaller than me.

85c0dab5ff1cc885d9b51117964fa061.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do ya do with that?  Try to kill or have the state relocate it?  Would suck to have a nice property on the water and not be able to swim. 

So the boy is on a Boy Scout overnight, and my daughter has 3 other 12 yo girls spending the night at our house. The wife is taking them to Mama Mia. I would rather jab ice picks into my eyeballs. So I felt it requisite to head to the boat. A few hours of labor (of love), and now listening to Dodgers v Brewers with some Parmesan and anchovy wrapped olives with a nice Pinot. Wild sockeye salmon later. I love "me" time.
c9e572de16d07916a6a49be65158a173.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_499511.jpg

Last rodeo for the old girl, crossing the finish line at Mackinac. A bittersweet moment.

Didn't go without a fight though, this is the single most rugged race I've ever done. 330 miles upwind, with lots of hours of 25+ knots of windspeed. Completely whipped.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Brutal.  Wonder if he hit his head?  Even if the pfd didn't inflate, it should have had a manual inflation tube.

I'm sure the details will come out, there's going to be a serious inquest into this incident. I've heard various reports, but nothing definitive as of yet other than it didn't inflate. I just know that after our travails last year I'm absolutely heartbroken to see this happen.

I'm sure more info will pop up in the SA thread here. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/199331-chi-mac-race-wx/

Also, I just posted this a month ago....

On 6/10/2018 at 2:59 PM, G650 said:

PFD repacking day.

Serious PSA: If any of you guys go offshore and use inflatable pfd's, jump in a pool or lake and try them out first. Learn how they work, how to repack, and how they should fit. You don't want to try and learn that stuff in an emergency. 

As some of you may know (I talked about it on the old site), last July we had a MOB situation last year in the middle of the night in 50+ knots of breeze. Boat was doing about 20 knots and we ended up almost 2 miles away by the time we got turned around. And this is on a boat with multiple professionals and high end amateurs that counted everything from transatlantics to round the world races. I personally have done tens of thousands of miles with the guy who fell in in everything from dinghies to big boat professional programs. It was the scariest and most humbling thing I've ever experienced. Everyone on the boat reassessed our commitment to safety, and realized the decades without an incident had made complacency worse.

I have given several safety seminar talks this spring on the incident, mainly because we were, for reasons too complex to go into here, a very rare case. We actually recovered our guy. The day after the Safety at Sea talk in Annapolis this year, I learned on the way home that one of the Volvo round the world sailors fell over in awful conditions in the Southern Ocean, and was lost. These guys are the best ocean racers on the planet, and just like that lost a guy. I was upset for days after hearing, it's almost a PTSD condition. I beg everyone to keep vigilant on safety, because I don't want anyone else to have to deal with that kind of emotional baggage. 

Chilling in destin for a bit...contemplating if i want to try my hand at boat living and maybe sailing around Caribbean in a year or so

Seen a 26ft ericson and a S2 8.0 (26ft) in price i can pay right now and sail right away

And a cal40 that would need work...so probably not....any thoughts on those

8 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Chilling in destin for a bit...contemplating if i want to try my hand at boat living and maybe sailing around Caribbean in a year or so

Seen a 26ft ericson and a S2 8.0 (26ft) in price i can pay right now and sail right away

And a cal40 that would need work...so probably not....any thoughts on those

Living on a 26 foot boat would be an asswhipping. And I am someone inclined to live aboard.

I think you need to look at least in the low 30s. A Cal 40 is a good candidate but if it needs work then that's really something you need to decide on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

The living onboard i could handle fyi...im a traveler and adventures dont effect me

Im looking for more of your sailboat knowledge

That's what I'm trying to impart. Living in a 26 foot boat and a 34 foot boat are vastly different. 

If you are set on either of those two, the Ericsson will be much more set up for living. The S2s are very minimalist and oriented to day racing.

Are you looking to have a survey done, or just inspect yourself? What is your background with marine vessels generally and sailboats specifically? I can hook you up with some folks in that area if you would like some independent eyeballs on the boats.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen how this story ends in the news just a few months back. No experience, check. Cheap sail boat, check. Going to sail away to the Caribbean, check. Are you broke and do you have a girl and a dog going with you by chance?

Not sailing to Caribbean tomorrow....if i buy i would learn in bay and area for a year ...reading is your friend

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen how this story ends in the news just a few months back. No experience, check. Cheap sail boat, check. Going to sail away to the Caribbean, check. Are you broke and do you have a girl and a dog going with you by chance?

2 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

My experience is nothing pretty much....sailed a small hobby boat that friend had on lake about 4 times

Figured i would learn around bay for a year before i went on longer trips

Nice...i was thinking ericson looked better

Well, I would definitely recommend having professionals look at the major systems at least in your case. You need a rigger to inspect the standing rigging, running rigging, and deck hardware. Also a mechanic to inspect the motor. These aren't just convenience issues, but safety ones. I just got done last weekend with a race where someone died by what in all likelihood will be found to have been a preventable incident. And two people were just killed cruising when the autopilot failed and the boat gybed, breaking the preventer and traveler. Every Joe Middle America with his wakeboard boat and Billy Bob with his bass boat thinks they are master mariners, but the reality of blue water cruising in power or sail is you need the same amount of qualification as an airplane pilot to do it safely and capably. Which is easily doable if you are methodical and conscientious. It sounds like you are on a reasonably well planned track for this.

Do you have links to the boats for sale?

2 hours ago, Brew said:

That's what we are trying to avoid here.

Edited by G650

I wonder whatever happened to those people. . .anyone still have the link to their blog?

13 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Yeah im not trying to go sailing for weeks in like a month....no links just scanning craigslist in destin/Pensacola area

Lots of boats in various conditions for pretty cheap

This one is 7500$4382ae5c23f59e571c98a54242df2b49.jpg

That's a better deal than the other two on first glance.

• Like 1