The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

All you need to do is take $300 and hit the scrip club. Then make 3 deposits of $9900. No way they figure it out.

Only way I could go to the scrip club is if I doubled $300 to $600 so my girlfriend could get a dance for her too. Otherwise she’d likely object. Hmmm I should think about that!

Took off work early today to go out on the lake for a few hours with the wife.  Been almost a month since we had the boat out.  Filled the boat up with gas, and took her to the ramp.  Backed her in,, cranked her for what felt like 10 minutes, started once, and sputtered out after 10 seconds.   Remembered I had a bottle of sea foam in the toolbox, so I pulled the boat out, dumped the whole bottle in, and 3 cranks and she was back in business.  Other than that, a beautiful afternoon on Lake Austin with the wife (early third trimester) and the dog.

This may have already been covered, but is it possible to get an older wakeboard boat set up with a good enough wave to wakesurf on. My kids are starting to bug me about it and the I/o chaparral and the tubes aren’t cutting it for them anymore. I’d rather not spen 100k on a new one, fucking ridiculous.

If answer is yes, what are some boats I should be looking for? Anyone interested in a well cared for 09 chaparral 210ssi?

10 hours ago, Texaus said:

This may have already been covered, but is it possible to get an older wakeboard boat set up with a good enough wave to wakesurf on. My kids are starting to bug me about it and the I/o chaparral and the tubes aren’t cutting it for them anymore. I’d rather not spen 100k on a new one, fucking ridiculous.

If answer is yes, what are some boats I should be looking for? Anyone interested in a well cared for 09 chaparral 210ssi?

I wouldn’t bother if you have kids.  Boats that are heavily listed with balllast bags all over the seats and floor are the opposite of family friendly.  What you want to do is find a (generally, brand dependent) ‘14/‘15 or newer 22’ boat from Axis, MB or Moomba with a gate/tab system plus enough factory hard tank ballast for a kid to surf.  Most of these boats will have plumbed in soft bags or it will be plug n play to add them.  Cost should run you mid $40s to high $50s and it’s a great price range for resale.  

And you should definitely do this, I’m already at 27 days on the lake this year in our ‘15 MB Sports Tomcat and my 10 and 11 y/o boys are surfing like mad without the rope.  Our 21’ bowrider was a great start but can’t hold a candle to the fun of a tow/surf boat.  

• Like 2

I just got to be good friends with someone who had the wake/surf boat and kids the same age as mine, and kept my 22' bowrider that was paid for years ago.  :)

We meet out on the water and he teaches my kids how to wakeboard and surf, while I drink beer.  It's a pretty sweet setup.

• Like 1

You can set up Mastercraft 205’s and Nautique 210’s to surf pretty easily. A few bags and people that can move around will create a surfable wake. You’re not going to get the huge wake you see on the newer boats, but we’ve surfed everything from early 90’s direct drive 205’s to new boats. I still prefer the multi use ability of the older boats over the new boats although I would recommend a vdrive over a direct drive.

Like everything it is all about budget and what you’re looking for.

• Like 1

Love the late afternoon shot!

We use the ballasts, gate and wedge for surfing. Get up and over with wedge at 0 or 1 then once the surfer is over to the side and pulling herself in we set the wedge to 3 or 4 and then open the surf gate.

The wedge is absolutely important it gives the volume that the surf gate then forms into a wave.

At 1 or 2 it’s too small and 5 or 6 it’s a nice large wave but it’s short in length. I find 3 to be ideal for me right now.

• Like 1

Just now, troph said:

Love the late afternoon shot!

We use the gate and wedge for surfing. Get up and over with wedge at 0 or 1 then once the surfer is over to the side and pulling herself in we set the wedge to 3 or 4 and then open the surf gate. 

The wedge is absolutely important it gives the volume that the surf gate then forms into a wave.

At 1 or 2 it’s too small and 5 or 6 it’s a nice large wave but it’s short in length. I find 3 to be ideal for me right now.

Your boat has the power wedge?  The axis boat I use has the the auto wedge. Gonna try deploying it next time to see what difference it makes.

I launch with the gate set to the side the rider prefers, and just expect them to clear out to side until we hit speed and the wake cleans up.

I've surfed behind moomba, mastercraft and axis and the axis T and A series by far the axis puts out the best wave. I don't last long after dropping the rope, but can have a lot of fucking fun back there carving up and down the wake with minor assist time to time to pull back into the wake.   

Power wedge yes. I’m the same I hold the rope and need it for a brief moment and can now ride for a long while with plenty of slack. It’s a fun sport! Doc has been on a lot of boats too and says the axis wave is pretty sick. I don’t know anything other than the axis other than a weekend lesson on a centurion.

I think most folks don’t need that easy clean wake to start but it’s easier so why not?

• Like 1

Be careful out there. A family I know through some other people lost there son today when someone was pulling him on a tube and swung him into a dock. I can’t even begin to imagine what goes through your head as it is happening.

We were out last weekend and the sheer number of stupid people on the water seemed to be up over prior years. We had to keep a constant eye out while our kids were in the water and finally just gave up and left.

• Like 2

Man I hate Saturday and Sunday afternoons on the lake. We stick to weekdays mostly or early Saturday or Sunday or late Sunday. And we go west of Lakeway every time. Happy to leave Hudson Bend and further toward Mansfield to the crowd. Noon to 6pm Saturday and Sunday are stupid times.

I can’t imagine lake Austin is anything but like laying down in the street and praying a car doesn’t run over you.

Be careful out there. A family I know through some other people lost there son today when someone was pulling him on a tube and swung him into a dock. I can’t even begin to imagine what goes through your head as it is happening.
We were out last weekend and the sheer number of stupid people on the water seemed to be up over prior years. We had to keep a constant eye out while our kids were in the water and finally just gave up and left.

My comment is above but damn that’s gotta be awful. I flipped my boys a few summers back and they were fine but crap I thought about much more and it’s just not right. I can’t imagine what they are going through.

Growing up I suffered more injuries from tubing than all of my other teenage activities combined. However, my dad was an idiot and 12-13 year old me thought nothing of flying off a tube doing cartwheels and rupturing eardrums. My kids know when they go with other people not to ride if they are wild. However, I’m sure they probably do just like I would have.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I am a total asshole about boat safety and towing, especially in a boat when I am not at the helm.  Too many idiots. 

52 minutes ago, troph said:

Man I hate Saturday and Sunday afternoons on the lake. We stick to weekdays mostly or early Saturday or Sunday or late Sunday. And we go west of Lakeway every time. Happy to leave Hudson Bend and further toward Mansfield to the crowd. Noon to 6pm Saturday and Sunday are stupid times.

I can’t imagine lake Austin is anything but like laying down in the street and praying a car doesn’t run over you.

Thursday afternoons are my jam. We saw maybe two other wake boats and a few bowriders/pontoons etc. all afternoon.  On a Saturday or Sunday I am running a pontoon up to the cove where the development stops and it turns green, east of the marina, and mooring to one of those buoys up the cove and throwing out a lily pad for the kids.  Fuck dealing with idiots running up and down the channel.  

8 hours ago, Brew said:

Christ that is so sad 

I fucking hate amateur hour on the water.

The best place to be on Lake Travis on the weekend is the shoreline. Holy shit the stupid shit I see. 2-3 people in the middle of the fucking lake pulling kids on tubes while 40' sea rays roll by and scarab fag fly's through like he is ocean racing. Fuck that noise.

Lake Austin is fine on weekend mornings, same as Lake Travis. And neither is nearly as bad a they were in the mid/late 90s.  All that dot com money, every 22 year old kid buying a boat and being a dumbass.  So much better now, than it was then.

On Lake Austin you only ski/wakeboard/surf west of City Park.  It's too far from most of the public boat ramps and everyone gives up and just throws their skier in the water by the Pennybacker bridge.  Idiots.

If I toss you in the water and tell you to ski anywhere between the bridge and Tom Miller dam, that means I hate you.

On Lake Travis we typically ski/wakeboard in the cove from the Cypress Creek arm, east of Volente, because that's where my friend's lake house is.  Again, nobody out there on weekend mornings other than the fishermen.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

The best place to be on Lake Travis on the weekend is the shoreline. Holy shit the stupid shit I see. 2-3 people in the middle of the fucking lake pulling kids on tubes while 40' sea rays roll by and scarab fag fly's through like he is ocean racing. Fuck that noise.

it's hard to explain why you'd want to live out here to city folks.  it's so you can be a lake rat.... DURING THE WEEK.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Lake Austin is fine on weekend mornings, same as Lake Travis. And neither is nearly as bad a they were in the mid/late 90s.  All that dot com money, every 22 year old kid buying a boat and being a dumbass.  So much better now, than it was then.

On Lake Austin you only ski/wakeboard/surf west of City Park.  It's too far from most of the public boat ramps and everyone gives up and just throws their skier in the water by the Pennybacker bridge.  Idiots.

If I toss you in the water and tell you to ski anywhere between the bridge and Tom Miller dam, that means I hate you.

On Lake Travis we typically ski/wakeboard in the cove from the Cypress Creek arm, east of Volente, because that's where my friend's lake house is.  Again, nobody out there on weekend mornings other than the fishermen.

the few times we were on lake austin, we got in by the damn and the bridge was as far as we would go.  I have two friends who live large on lake austin closer to town and holy shit the river seems busy.

6 minutes ago, troph said:

the few times we were on lake austin, we got in by the damn and the bridge was as far as we would go.  I have two friends who live large on lake austin closer to town and holy shit the river seems busy.

Yeah, that's the worst part, BECAUSE it's the closest to town. I don't mind taking the kids tubing on that part, but again, only during the mornings.  If we're even still on the lake on a weekend afternoon, then we're invariably sitting in a cove drinking beer and grilling fajitas on my buddy's pontoon boat.

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Thursday afternoons are my jam. We saw maybe two other wake boats and a few bowriders/pontoons etc. all afternoon.  On a Saturday or Sunday I am running a pontoon up to the cove where the development stops and it turns green, east of the marina, and mooring to one of those buoys up the cove and throwing out a lily pad for the kids.  Fuck dealing with idiots running up and down the channel.  

Sounds like you may be a part of the Lakeway Boat Club. We have been members 4 years now. Started at Volente.

33 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Sounds like you may be a part of the Lakeway Boat Club. We have been members 4 years now. Started at Volente.

Roger.  We joined earlier in the year.  It has worked out really really well for our family so far. 

• Like 1

Roger.  We joined earlier in the year.  It has worked out really really well for our family so far. 

How old are your kiddos? Boat club is bad ass. My only complaint and it turned into a deal breaker after 3 years in a club is not being able to boat at sundown. Pretty small want for a hefty price tag of having to own the thing but you do what you gotta do.

Tourist beaches and freshwater lakes are the center of the universe for idiocy on the water unfortunately, especially in the summer. The shit I've seen over the years is mind boggling. Until we require people to be legitimately tested and licensed like we do for cars, it won't get any better either. The boater safety shit now is a joke.