The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 hour ago, troph said:

How old are your kiddos? Boat club is bad ass. My only complaint and it turned into a deal breaker after 3 years in a club is not being able to boat at sundown. Pretty small want for a hefty price tag of having to own the thing but you do what you gotta do.

Range 3-9. Totally get it not being a good fit if you don't want to deal with the restrictions.  For us, the convenience and variety of boating options totally outweigh any frustration over the constraints.   

I’ve stayed off public lakes on the three major holidays since college, when I worked on the lake. It’s amateur hour out there and I’m amazed there aren’t more wrecks / issues.

I loved riding Lake Austin. Buddy had a house on the lake up near Mansfield dam. Water was COLD, but butter. We also use to launch out of Steiner Ranch next to the ladies spa.

• Like 1

Range 3-9. Totally get it not being a good fit if you don't want to deal with the restrictions.  For us, the convenience and variety of boating options totally outweigh any frustration over the constraints.   

We were in freedom boat club for years it was awesome.

On 6/29/2018 at 4:51 PM, troph said:

We were out from 10a - 4p today and whoa the amount of alcohol being taken to boats as we left the marina was mind bottling.

Sorry for partying.  

But yeah, it seems wild out there this year.  Our marina has the Travis County Sheriff boats which seems to keep things reasonable, but people are leaving the Gar pretty much falling down drunk every time we are there.  And lots of morons in rental boats going full speed up the wrong side of the lake.  

Convinced the wife that I needed to come down here to get things ready. Part of my strategy is to make sure they don't have to do anything. So my plan is early morning departure on Monday. Should be an easy crossing to Catalina. But get a great day here tomorrow to myself

Sorry for partying.  

But yeah, it seems wild out there this year.  Our marina has the Travis County Sheriff boats which seems to keep things reasonable, but people are leaving the Gar pretty much falling down drunk every time we are there.  And lots of morons in rental boats going full speed up the wrong side of the lake.  

We’ll be out there early tomorrow morning. Then on to a day without the risk of getting run over by one of those leaving the gnarly gar.

Got no problem with a few beers, but the next two weekends are downright dangerous.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Nice man. Have your buddy bring his boat down to Cabo this October. We are taking ours there for the month to fish the Bisbee tournaments and Mag bay for fun.

Not out of the question.  We were just talking about a Mex trip to chase big bluefin.

Trolling motor problem-  batteries charged-  motor unit shows full charge -  unit receives a signal from the remote and will rotate (sometimes) but will not power up the prop at all.

Changed the power receptacle thinking it wasn’t getting a good connection- no bueno.  Same deal.  

What am I missing?  Could the wiring be bad and not delivering full power? 

I think you he 4th has started on Travis - counted easily 15 + boats in the past couple of minutes from my chair over looking the like. Where in the hell are they all going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starnes island fireworks. Was a good show. We went out, stayed way back and left the second the show was over to beat the traffic. Lago Vista tonight but we are gonna hang here and cross our fingers Mattress Mack puts on his own show and watch from the pool deck.

Trolling motor problem-  batteries charged-  motor unit shows full charge -  unit receives a signal from the remote and will rotate (sometimes) but will not power up the prop at all. Changed the power receptacle thinking it wasn’t getting a good connection- no bueno.  Same deal.   What am I missing?  Could the wiring be bad and not delivering full power? 

Reboot? Unplug, wait and plug back in? That's always solved it for me. Like a computer. Remote has fresh batteries?

I can even use the minn kota app on my phone via bluetooth to run my iPilot if need be.

That's happened to me before too.

Trolling motor problem-  batteries charged-  motor unit shows full charge -  unit receives a signal from the remote and will rotate (sometimes) but will not power up the prop at all.
Changed the power receptacle thinking it wasn’t getting a good connection- no bueno.  Same deal.  
What am I missing?  Could the wiring be bad and not delivering full power? 
Check for a resettable circuit breaker on the trolling motor wiring. If you find one... Reset it.

It's worked for me several times

So we all sailed back in light winds and the fam, as usual, bolted as soon as we hit the dock. But where we live is experiencing historic heat. What they do is rolling brownouts. Reduced power, where the power is reduced fed to your home. So my wife called and said "you should stay there." God bless her.
e6ff0284f6ad21fcb91f6cd375db715c.jpg

• Like 1

Rolling Brownouts sounds like a wonderful way to toast your AC unit.  Had one arm on our rental house feeding 30V, so we were only getting 150V to our 240V AC feed, toasted the thermostat.   Can't imagine how a power company could justify doing that intentionally.

Got my boat barn coming together.

Any recommendations on treating the garage floor before I start parking boats in there? Not spending the money on epoxy. What's the next step down?

Power goes in Monday. Waiting for the construction ruts to heal up until the end of the month. Then I will move in. dff060dfad55abb1aea7bf93a5ce36a2.jpgbbb18ef79b784c9f4eaa0105b159c461.jpg5f531e9d2fd6c1455b939df8c68b7d3f.jpg

47 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

Any recommendations on treating the garage floor before I start parking boats in there? Not spending the money on epoxy. What's the next step down?

Power goes in Monday. Waiting for the construction ruts to heal up until the end of the month. Then I will move in. 

Just coat it with oil, then if you spill more oil on it, it'll wipe right off.  Also makes the water bead up nicely.

Or, man up and do it right.  https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-293513-Polycuramine-Garage-Floor/dp/B06XJ17JVD/

Edited by PvilleStang
  • Like 1

On July 12, 2018 at 12:47 PM, bigshark88 said:

Power goes in Monday. Waiting for the construction ruts to heal up until the end of the month. Then I will move in. dff060dfad55abb1aea7bf93a5ce36a2.jpgbbb18ef79b784c9f4eaa0105b159c461.jpg5f531e9d2fd6c1455b939df8c68b7d3f.jpg

Barn looks great.  Super jealous!

I put this product down in my garage.  Works best with new concrete.  I did it in one weekend myself.  Pretty straightforward and holding up really well to hot tires, etc.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/products/hc-shieldcrete-waterbased-epoxy-garage-floor-coating

• Like 1

Hamptons? Troph is big timing us. 71 degrees on Fire Island right now.

Ain’t no Hamptons. We do see jet setting helicopters flying to the Hamptons throughout the day though. About 45 mins away from here. Weather has been phenom. Windows open 24/7.

Question on flushing an outboard. I used to just put my old Yamaha 4 hp outboard in a bucket of freshwater, and run it to flush the saltwater. But I didn't do it every time and probably led to its premature decline- although I had it for 15 yrs and it was a workhorse. My nearly new Honda 5hp has a special flush fitting you can screw into an intake port, and just turn on the hose. But the manual insists that you need to remove the prop every time. Is that just a liability overkill, or is it really necessary. It'll take it from a 5 minute job to 15 minute job. I can leave it on the stern rail mount if I can leave the prop on. Just wondering if I'm being lazy, an idiot, both, or it's fine to leave the prop on?

Question on flushing an outboard. I used to just put my old Yamaha 4 hp outboard in a bucket of freshwater, and run it to flush the saltwater. But I didn't do it every time and probably led to its premature decline- although I had it for 15 yrs and it was a workhorse. My nearly new Honda 5hp has a special flush fitting you can screw into an intake port, and just turn on the hose. But the manual insists that you need to remove the prop every time. Is that just a liability overkill, or is it really necessary. It'll take it from a 5 minute job to 15 minute job. I can leave it on the stern rail mount if I can leave the prop on. Just wondering if I'm being lazy, an idiot, both, or it's fine to leave the prop on?

I’ve never heard of anyone taking the prop off to flush

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

And can’t be too soon, with this 11-12ft fucker setting up shop in my cove. Kids won’t get in the water. I told them it would only help my cause to get something in there smaller than me.

85c0dab5ff1cc885d9b51117964fa061.jpg

No Sir

2 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

I'd leave the prop on, personally.  Just rinse around it with the hose, or run it in a bucket if you can fit it.

That’s the thing.  If I can leave it on my aft rail where I store it, I can’t get a bucket under it.  Moving it means getting another place to mount it while flushing.  Or remove the prop.  But I won’t and will just try not to lose a finger.

And can’t be too soon, with this 11-12ft fucker setting up shop in my cove. Kids won’t get in the water. I told them it would only help my cause to get something in there smaller than me.

85c0dab5ff1cc885d9b51117964fa061.jpg

My dad has a 7 footer living in the bayou behind his house, I think right after hurricane Harvey there was a huge rearrangement of gators. Watched him take down a huge turtle the other day. And the dogs don't go out without a leash now.

Gator loves a 5 gallon bucket full of redfish and trout guts/heads.