The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Usually just put the hose on the flush port but will hook up and run in the earmuffs a few times a season and when warming up to change oil. There is sometimes some sediment that's left in the tub after running on the ears even if I flushed on the port right before.

3 hours ago, davidg said:

Usually just put the hose on the flush port but will hook up and run in the earmuffs a few times a season and when warming up to change oil. There is sometimes some sediment that's left in the tub after running on the ears even if I flushed on the port right before.

Is this the bidet thread?

On 5/29/2018 at 9:24 PM, davidg said:

I did the vinegar barrel idle once about 3 years in on current boat (it’s babied and rarely runs “shallow”) and you wouldn’t believe the amount of shit that came out in that barrel.  And that’s after flushing religiously.  Like never missing a single flush religiously. Sand, shell, etc. A lot of it. 

Got the 98 Ski Nautique out this weekend.  Had to replace the battery.  But otherwise, it ran perfectly.  Water was low.  Ended up on the fender getting it back on the trailer.  Had to dunk it again.  No gel damage.  Wooden fender pad may need to be replaced.  We were having other issues at the ramp.  So I didn't stand in the back of the boat pulling it out to make sure it went on straight.  Quirk of this, otherwise stellar, trailer.

Older shot, but it checks out.

e_C4_JHr_KZg7_Cs_Su_SS881_Uuj6_Dm_T9_Qx_

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

Got the 98 Ski Nautique out this weekend.  Had to replace the battery.  But otherwise, it ran perfectly.  Water was low.  Ended up on the fender getting it back on the trailer.  Had to dunk it again.  No gel damage.  Wooden fender pad may need to be replaced.  We were having other issues at the ramp.  So I didn't stand in the back of the boat pulling it out to make sure it went on straight.  Quirk of this trailer.

Minor issues for first run of the year. I thought you had that boat on a lift?

16 minutes ago, 686 said:

Minor issues for first run of the year. I thought you had that boat on a lift?

I keep the boat in the garage at our house.  Lake house (and lift) are about a 90 minute drive.  We put in at a launch a few doors down.  Launch has improved greatly over the years, but the water is low and the ramp isn't grated.  Had a buddy with a 4WD pickup helping me get it out.  His hitch was just low enough that the center "rib" on the trailer hit the ramp.  For whatever reason, the tongue lock on the trailer popped, and the trailer came loose.  No big deal since the trailer was on the ground anyway, but getting it back on was a pain, particularly with the boat not all the way up yet (we were going to drop it lower at that point).  Once we got it back on, we dropped it back down, but I wasn't paying attention to the boat's being centered in the rear.  So, after a short trip to the lake house, I noticed the boat sitting on the fender a bit.  We went back, dropped the trailer back in the water, got things centered up, felt underneath for damage (found none), and pulled it back out straight.   

I've had worse days of boat ownership.  And usually, we are a drop the trailer thing, idle on, winch a couple of feet, get out of the way sort of boating crew.  Thankfully, this ramp is not busy, and we didn't keep anyone waiting during our moments of ineptitude.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

I was out on LBJ last weekend with friends, and we had a little longer residence time on the ramp ourselves. Trailer tire completely delaminated in the ~2 miles from the locker to the ramp (buddie’s boat and trailer, not mine). Took it slow and easy, got the boat off the trailer, got the wheel off the trailer and over to Discount and remounted, back on the water in about 2 hours. Weekend turned out great.

b196fdf496630ab1001304086535fc8b.heic

8fcf76dc9cb0e9c3e613e437fcbba02e.heic

0ff03114733e20839bf0c9849723e6ea.heic

• Like 2

Trailer tires suck. I bought my X1 two summers ago. Pic 1 is on the way to the lake Labor Day weekend that summer. Pic 2 is on the way home from the lake Labor Day weekend that summer. The worst part was I didn’t have the right sized lug wrench, so I had to call a roadside tire shop to fix it. I had them put the blown tire on the spare spot assuming I could take it in Tuesday and get my buddy to change them out. Instead I had to call the same guys Monday night to do the same thing over again and replace all 3 tires on the side of the interstate.
ec6bb4547bf96e52c39d9904586b44ec.jpg
45f55030a2ea1b68512da780fb568c29.jpg

Edited by Brew

Were those tires brand new two summers ago?  If so, that's definitely faster degradation than usual.  Five seasons is about typical.

But you're correct, trailer tires are indeed terrible.  In the RV world, a lot of people will switch from the 14s or 15s their trailer was originally fitted with, to 16" wheels, so they have access to a wider variety of higher-quality LT light truck tires, instead of having to settle for whatever trailer tires were available on their original wheels.  I haven't heard of many folks in the boating world doing this, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.

They were not. I usually get new ones put on pretty quickly when I buy a used boat. However, I had just made a 13 hour drive home with it after buying it so I had decided to do it once the season was over. Procrastination cost me triple.

Had a blowout a few years back on the side of 620 in Lakeway.  Luckily, the tow rig at the time (4Runner) had a matching lug wrench and bottle jack, so we were able to get the tire off, but had to have someone come pick it up and put on a new tire for us.  Had I disconnected the trailer, the trailer would have fell, and the bad day would have gotten much shittier.

Not yet.  When my wife bought the boat / trailer, there were exactly two tires included, no spare nor spot to mount said spare.  If / when we take the boat more than 10 miles at a time, we'll probably buy a spare from Academy or Cabelas, but at this point, we don't really haul the boat out of the neighborhood except to the mechanic once or twice a year.

I had tread separation on a Goodyear Marathon back in 2007 when I was towing my old MasterCraft to St. Louis to deliver it to its new Canadian owner.  I was passing a tractor trailer at about 70 mph when it happened.  Managed to get over to the side of the road and avoid any real damage apart from some fender rash.  Then, I discovered what a pain it is to change a spring over axle trailer tire since the axle basically was sitting on the ground.  Buyer was nice about everything and we got two new tires for the trailer and split the cost.  Tire dealer in Texarkana said that was a good call since the other tire had a bubble forming as well.  Have since switched to Maxxis tires on the boat trailer and have had better luck.  But regardless of mileage, I will swap the tires every 4--5 years.  

M9_V4d_MIEH0n8_Dhx1b_Hsj_v_RU01_BQ4hok_R

Yeah, I've run both Maxxis and Marathon, on both my boat trailers and RV trailers, and haven't had noticeably better luck with one over the other.  In some of the RV forums they suggest ensuring your Marathons come from North America (believe it's Canada, specifically) rather than China.  That sounds like good advice regardless of the product, to be honest. 

Seems like the best bet is to switch to 16" wheels if your trailer allows and use light truck tires, which are manufactured to much higher standards. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, I've run both Maxxis and Marathon, on both my boat trailers and RV trailers, and haven't had noticeably better luck with one over the other.  In some of the RV forums they suggest ensuring your Marathons come from North America (believe it's Canada, specifically) rather than China.  That sounds like good advice regardless of the product, to be honest. 

Seems like the best bet is to switch to 16" wheels if your trailer allows and use light truck tires, which are manufactured to much higher standards. 

I have read that as well.  That picture above is an American GY Marathon.  On my current trailer, I'm on a 15" rim, which allows me to run the Load Range "D" Maxxis.  I inflate them to about 60 psi and keep a close eye on them for the tell-tale "wobble" when I'm towing.

12 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I inflate them to about 60 psi and keep a close eye on them for the tell-tale "wobble" when I'm towing.

Proper pressure is critical, and something most people miss. You need to keep sidewall deflection to a minimum.

I just remembered I also had to change a small boat tire on I95 in South Carolina once at about 2am. Was hauling with an F350 and didn't even feel it the boat was so light. Some Trooper on the graveyard shift pulled me over. Then he helped me change the tire. Apparently was extremely bored.

In my case, the axle was almost on the ground.  I ended up putting the spare on the ground right next to the tarmack where it sat a little lower, and pulling forward so the rim was on top of the spare.  At that point, I was able to get the floor jack I thankfully had packed for the trip under the axle to get it up off the ground.  This was made more fun by the tractor trailers whizzing by.  Ordinarily, I never would change a tire next to the interstate, but I wasn't making the next exit without doing damage to an asset I already had sold. 

The rest of the trip went much more smoothly.

12 hours ago, Brew said:

Trailer tires suck. I bought my X1 two summers ago. Pic 1 is on the way to the lake Labor Day weekend that summer. Pic 2 is on the way home from the lake Labor Day weekend that summer. The worst part was I didn’t have the right sized lug wrench, so I had to call a roadside tire shop to fix it. I had them put the blown tire on the spare spot assuming I could take it in Tuesday and get my buddy to change them out. Instead I had to call the same guys Monday night to do the same thing over again and replace all 3 tires on the side of the interstate.

Ouch man, that is an ass whip.

I have a tool box on my truck/tow rig in which I always keep:

• Set of SAE and metric 1/2" drive deep impact sockets up to 1 1/8" (for lug nuts, etc.)
  • 1/2" drive breaker bar (non-ratcheting socket wrench for breaking nuts/bolts loose)
  • SAE/metric 1/4" and 3/8" drive socket set
  • Set of SAE and metric wrenches
  • SAE and metric allen wrenches
  • Wire nuts, small gauge electric wire, electrical pliers, zip ties, electrical tape
  • 4-in-1 screwdriver, assorted pliers, vice grips, 3 pound sledge, gorilla tape, rags, rope, tire pressure gauge, 12v tire pump, tire plug kit

Stuff I usually have in there but not as vital:

• cordless drill, cordless driver, hot battery, battery charger
  • big drill bit set with nut drivers/socket adapters for cordless driver, torx/star bits, etc.
  • assorted nuts/bolts/hardware

Stuff I need to add:

• assorted automotive fuse set
  • 1 quart 10w-30
  • ???

I take this truck out to the ranch, etc. where I need tools much more often than I need them for the boat, but having my tools with me when I'm towing anything is my security blanket that gives me peace of mind. 

Man, 4-way lug wrench is my best friend.  Used it on all my vehicles and trailers, and have yet to have issues breaking a lug nut free.  Keep that in my toolbox along with my emergency roadside kit, and a few tie downs.  I'll throw in other tools as needed, but tend to keep the box lightly stocked so nothing really valuable walks off.

4-way lug wrench, proper jack, and of course an inflated spare.  :)

Both my current trailers have tandem axles so I can make an exit when I need to.  But man I'd hate to see what a slung tire would do to the fender wells of my vintage Airstream.  I've seen pictures of other peoples' misfortune and it's ugly at best.

Too much trailer talk here.  Went out in Travis for an evening surf session and there were maybe three boats in the bend under Lucy’s.  That was our 22nd day on the water this year since buying the new MB.  Boating really is the best.  

I hear ya dude!

We were out last night near rough hollow, only us and a sailboat and another boat floating and watching the sunset as we surfed the cliff between there and lakeway marina. Sunset was just another lake Travis sunset which is to say spectacular.c8595b69df9d34dce5dde5da19974277.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Seems appropriate given the last two posts.  Almost made a road trip to Wisconsin to pick up one of these pretty rare MasterCraft jump boats.  I think there were only ever six in existence. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=98573&stc=1&

Dude. Do it 

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Dude. Do it 

That was years ago.  I can barely find time to get out on the boat I have.  No need for a project or a jump boat.  Would have been fun to cruise around in though. 

Motors were 40 hp.  Knew of a guy who restored one, put a 60 hp motor on it and tore up the transom.  Had it on a trailer while he waited for some free time to fix it, and some jackass stole it. 

There still are some out there in varying states of repair. 

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

That was years ago.  I can barely find time to get out on the boat I have.  No need for a project or a jump boat.  Would have been fun to cruise around in though. 

Motors were 40 hp.  Knew of a guy who restored one, put a 60 hp motor on it and tore up the transom.  Had it on a trailer while he waited for some free time to fix it, and some jackass stole it. 

There still are some out there in varying states of repair. 

Man, those are a piece of history. You would absolutely have to rock an old Johnson.

I've got a friend whose dad used to do drag boat racing, he has some epic vintage stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Man, those are a piece of history. You would absolutely have to rock an old Johnson.

I've got a friend whose dad used to do drag boat racing, he has some epic vintage stuff.

I think the transom would have to be seriously beefed up to handle much more.  Those transoms got slammed every time those boats went over ramps with the outboards popping up 90 degrees hard. 

Speaking of MasterCrafts, here's my previous tug.  1993 Pro Star 205.

2ai4w1s.jpg

Edited by dcbc

9 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I think the transom would have to be seriously beefed up to handle much more.  Those transoms got slammed every time those boats went over ramps with the outboards popping up 90 degrees hard. 

Speaking of MasterCrafts, here's my previous tug.  1993 Pro Star 205.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2ai4w1s.jpg

/looks like the image insertion function isn't cooperating.

Classic.

• Like 1

Guy from MS might want my old boat, his question was “if I bring a sack of cash how much do you want for the boat” ... couldn’t tell if he was serious so I asked if it was a euphuism for no bank loan, he said “no I mean for real if I bring a sack of cash what do you want?”

Yowzers

2 hours ago, troph said:

Guy from MS might want my old boat, his question was “if I bring a sack of cash how much do you want for the boat” ... couldn’t tell if he was serious so I asked if it was a euphuism for no bank loan, he said “no I mean for real if I bring a sack of cash what do you want?”

Yowzers

I think the answer is "the same price as if you brought me a cashier's check or wired me the money.  This ain't the gas station."

Edited by dcbc

I think the answer is "the same price as if you brought me a cashier's check or wired me the money.  This ain't the gas station."

I was so surprised I told him no cash - but didn’t tell him price was listed it’s his turn to make a counter.