The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Alright, tapa is fixed, I think.

Waxed and ready for the season. I normally hire that job out, but had a free Saturday, it sucked and was satisfying all at the same time. Like your mom.74f7d66b2b5c320ee328995ac553dacc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by Yarbr
  • Like 2

Feeling good, Lewis!

I really enjoy washing and waxing the boat.  And your mom.

No, seriously, the kids like to wash the exterior, and the wife doesn't trust anyone other than herself to clean the interior, and using my Makita compounder, compounding and waxing the outside takes no time at all, so it all works out well for us.

Edited by utee94

Yeah, my kids and wife put in about 50% effort on simple maintenance items, which is fine by me, the boat is/was my thing. My wife was none too pleased I got the boat before she got her pool, but is buying in to the greatness of being a boat owner. Just got off the phone with her and when I asked what she wanted to do for Mother's Day, she answered hit the lake. That is a great open door for when I decide to upgrade.

I'm still going to have to build the fucking pool though.

My kids don't do jack shit workwise on the boat.  But it is a delicate line.  If I equate the boat with work, they will be less enthusiastic, which puts greater strain on the justification for having it in the first place.  Plus they are pretty much useless anyway.

• Like 1

I spent my teenage years waxing the gellcoat and staining/oiling the teak gunwale tops on my Dad's 24' Boston Whaler Outrage.  It wasn't until years later that I discovered that there were people who didn't polish their hull.  But I didn't equate it with work, because I then got to spend a whole lot of days offshore in that boat catching Kings, Ling, Dolphin, and Red Snapper.  I've always been boat spoiled.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2018 at 3:22 PM, NoRagrets said:

Where are you getting underwater lights? I'm seriously in the market.

Through Texas Malibu — should be done this coming week and when we take delivery I’ll ask for the company name.  And let you know what we think.

18 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I spent my teenage years waxing the gellcoat and staining/oiling the teak gunwale tops on my Dad's 24' Boston Whaler Outrage.  It wasn't until years later that I discovered that there were people who didn't polish their hull.  But I didn't equate it with work, because I then got to spend a whole lot of days offshore in that boat catching Kings, Ling, Dolphin, and Red Snapper.  I've always been boat spoiled.

Okay that’s a charmed childhood at least with respect to that one aspect.  Damn if only ...

Tapa is back working I guess.

Mentioned up-thread that I am slumming it on a duck boat redfishing while I transition from a flats boat to a bay boat...

I got a 24x36 boat barn on order for both sleds. Gonna look like this but with 12' doors.

255c81d9bb5cee4e506d422facac682d.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I didn't grow up around the ski/wake scene and have never really understood it.  

Ill be damned if 686 last post didn't clear it right up. Looks awesome. 

Took 3-4 days of surfing on whitefish lake in MT with a surfer chick to realize how amazing surf culture is, I’m hooked.  We’ll see, but I’ll be shocked if I’m not surfing for the next decade.

Edited by troph

Bigshark, here’s my boat barn. 60x40 with 14 foot doors. Still trying to decide what to buy to fill out the last bay since the other 2 are full at this point.

688e90c4a7c834ed9d8c95920634e31a.jpg

Edited by Brew
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I didn't grow up around the ski/wake scene and have never really understood it.  

Ill be damned if 686 last post didn't clear it right up. Looks awesome. 

For me it’s about being on the water and who I want to go out with. If I want to be by myself or just out in peace and quiet, I go fishing. If I want to take the kids or other people, I get out the wakeboards, tubes, etc. and go. It’s nice now just to get up before everyone and head out to fish/sit and then as they all start waking up and other people get on the water then the toys come out.

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

How much did the power pole micro run? That’s slick-  install easily? 

I used a 20% coupon code from the gun owners thread at Academy online.  Got the drive unit for $473 delivered.  Then I ordered a $80 spike from Austin Kayak.  PP has a rebate going of up to $100 for micro spikes if you purchase a drive unit and spike within 180 days of each other.  I applied for the rebate and we'll see how that goes.  

Install was of medium difficulty.  5200 got broken out and shit got messy.  

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Bigshark, here’s my boat barn. 60x40 with 14 foot doors. Still trying to decide what to buy to fill out the last bay since the other 2 are full at this point.

688e90c4a7c834ed9d8c95920634e31a.jpg

That's awesome.  I will post pics of mine once it gets built.  Never built anything before so time will tell if I regret undertaking this project.  

19 minutes ago, troph said:

If your talking to me, I’m not a wakeboarder, I have no interest in wakeboarding and meant wake surfing.

You mean pulling a surfboard behind a boat? That's called free boarding.

You mean pulling a surfboard behind a boat? That's called free boarding.

No rope once you get up and in position. Ride the wave or don’t. And the boat I’m putting in the water will have a large enough wave for someone to ride a long board 10-15 feet back. Again, no rope.

You guys are funny

You win mr. surf police. Call it whatever the heck you want, it’s called surfing or wake surfing by everyone I’ve talked to about it. But on this board I’ll go by your terminology.

It’s wakesurfing (one word), so don’t let Mr. Uppity Sailboat Guy try and correct you. 

I pull tubes all day on the weekends with my wakeboard boat while my kids jump the wake on the jet skis, so I quit giving a flip what other boaters turn their noses up at a long time ago.

8 minutes ago, Brew said:

It’s wakesurfing (one word), so don’t let Mr. Uppity Sailboat Guy try and correct you. 

I pull tubes all day on the weekends with my wakeboard boat while my kids jump the wake on the jet skis, so I quit giving a flip what other boaters turn their noses up at a long time ago.

You own jet skis. You have forfeited the right to any opnion on watersports.

• Like 1

See my previous post on my thoughts on other’s opinions. As far as the jet skis, I may buy two more this year just to get a few more on the water. If you’re ever south of the Mason-Dixon Line feel free to come by and we’ll introduce you to some actual “water sports” involving boats with engines.

Edited by Brew

7 minutes ago, Brew said:

See my previous post on my thoughts on other’s opinions. As far as the jet skis, I may buy two more this year just to get a few more on the water. If you’re ever south of the Mason-Dixon Line feel free to come by and we’ll introduce you to some actual “water sports” involving boats with engines.

I live south of the Mason Dixon and I've been actual surfing since the 1980s. I was also a 100 ton captain, I've done more stuff with boats with engines than most people have driven cars.

Don't you have a pontoon boat too? Christ, you are practically an Applebees on the water. I'm not sure it's possible to be more middle class.

12 minutes ago, G650 said:

I live south of the Mason Dixon and I've been actual surfing since the 1980s. I was also a 100 ton captain, I've done more stuff with boats with engines than most people have driven cars.

Don't you have a pontoon boat too? Christ, you are practically an Applebees on the water. I'm not sure it's possible to be more middle class.

I guess I now resemble that remark. Ouch. Guess I’ll captain her maiden voyage in a wife beater and boxers while smoking 120s

1 minute ago, Bert Orange said:

I guess I now resemble that remark. Ouch. Guess I’ll captain her maiden voyage in a wife beater and boxers while smoking 120s

Ha. Thats how i picture you anyway.

I saw a Trackhawk on the highway the other day and thought of you. Dude didn't wanna race though. I had disappoint.

40 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yep, pontoon too. See prior post again, because it apparently hasn’t gotten through. I’m a long way from middle class at this point and have actually paid for the toys I have including the lake house, beach house, etc. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, G650 said:

Ha. Thats how i picture you anyway.

I saw a Trackhawk on the highway the other day and thought of you. Dude didn't wanna race though. I had disappoint.

I am always up for a race. I smoked an eager Merc C63 driver a couple weeks back. I had remove all badging from the Hawk and I’m not sure he new what he was up against.