The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

On 8/9/2018 at 5:54 PM, Brew said:

Anyone do a seasonal type membership with Freedom Boat Club or one of the others rather than an annual? I’m trying to get a rough cost to decide whether I just want to buy, but I don’t really want to call them and get on their radar yet. We’ll be in South Florida for 3 months a year going forward so it makes some sense to look into it so we have a variety of boats to use. I’ve also got restrictions on what can be kept at the house so owning may end up being too much trouble and I don’t think the MC is going to be that useful down there.

I’m also curious whether you run into issues using boats back to back days as we’ll be out quite a bit. 

I used freedom boat club for about 2 years in SWFL, Naples location. It was good to help me decide what type of boat I wanted but had issues with the club.

1. You got 4 reservations at a time, 2 weekday, 2 weekend. But if you wanted a boat all day on the weekend it was 2 reservations, 1 for the morning one for the afternoon. Not a big issue if you are on vacation but if you are working it’s sucks as you never use the weekday reservations and we typically used both weekend reservations on the same day to get the boat all day. We felt it was better for retired/vacationers

2. People treated the boats like shit. When we went out we treated the boats like they were our own, others not so much, filet fish on the fiberglass, sand everywhere and general disregard for the boats.

3. If a cushion was lost or damage was do ethe would charge you for it but they never seemed to repair the damage or replace the cushions.

4. The Naples club had 2 offshore boats that were never available as they were booked so far in advance, up around sanibel not a big deal because you have icw to cruise but in Naples if you can’t go offshore you are limited.

After 2 years we had enough and bought out own boat, more expensive - yes, but worth every penny.

That seems consistent with what I have heard from others on saltwater boat membership. It seems like a better option for lakes. I like to boat shop anyways, so I’ll go back that direction. Just need to decide how much I want to spend on a 24’ bay boat and how much I want to butt heads with the HOA.

12 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Thats kind of crazy they don't provide the water toys. Our club here in Austin provides all of that, I would hate to have to lug all of that back and forth. 

What about life vests?

We went out yesterday and it must be because of the end of summer but there was no one on the lake. It was like glass from 3-8.

Yeah, NBC provides all the toys.  Just tell them what to load out and its all set up.  Went out Thursday with the boys and had exact same experience.  If weather holds, we'll try to get out tomorrow for last run before back to school. 

Start photos from this years Chicago Mac. Pretty full on to say the least.
Last start for the old girl.

OXL8_Xe_NA_jpeg.jpg

w_yi_L57g_jpeg.jpg

Breaking waves on start line

XCwl_Uv_OA_jpeg.jpg

Oof. This poor motherfucker. 330 miles upwind in this shit on a S2 9.1

Om_S6n_S0g_jpeg.jpg

Looks like everyone is using really expensive sails. Lotta carbon.

Just finished a week at Cat. The move to San Pedro has been great. Have done 17 days out there since I moved the boat on Memorial Day. Sent the fam home and am doing the cleanup. Done for now.
8ad94905e9653907b896908fc6a64b0e.jpg

Light blue boat in the 2nd picture is  Done Deal. They are considered the top boat in the gulf for winning blue marlin tournamentsover the last decade or so. The red boat is Smooth Move and they have been the hottest boat in the Texas tournaments this year. 2 wins with the largest blue marlin weighed in and another win this past weekend with 6 blue releases.

19 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Million dollar program. Jeez.

Fucking Ran went well over 1.5 for a 40 footer, mast alone was 250k. Spending 52 money in the 40 class. Absurd. I just hope they move along soon before they kill what is a great fleet.

Over the past few months I've listened to people on every continent start boat conversations with "goddamn those Ran motherfuckers...."

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, Bone3421 said:

Will check back later but whats the word on say a 30' irwin citation sailboat

I missed this, but Irwin's are solid.  If you go early model, watch out for the Atomic 4 which was commonly used in the late 70's.  Make sure it has a diesel engine.  But you could probably get an Irwin Citation 30 for under $20K.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I missed this, but Irwin's are solid.  If you go early model, watch out for the Atomic 4 which was commonly used in the late 70's.  Make sure it has a diesel engine.  But you could probably get an Irwin Citation 30 for under $20K.

As someone who has had to work on about every marine motor known to man, I would suggest am Atomic 4 over just about anything else in his situation. Reliable, infinite cheap parts, easy to work on.

• Like 1

I have a livewel pump that's driving me crazy. First indication of trouble was that it was loud as heck. Then it just died.

Replaced the pump AND cut out a crappy splice in the wiring. New pump ran in the barn but sounded like a rock tumbler.

On the water the new pump is just dead. Won't work for shit.

All other pumps on the boat work fine.

It's either two different problems or one overarching one I'm not thinking of.

Yeah, We've got the internet...   I love how all the power boat guys put on life jackets, and the blow boater is just standing there on the phone with his insurance company.  Power boat guys are screwed i would imagine,  sailboat clearly not under power hit by a powerboat with a radar ....opppps .  Kinda surprised it did demolish the sailboat, I bet they hit at a relatively slow speed.

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Yeah, We've got the internet...   I love how all the power boat guys put on life jackets, and the blow boater is just standing there on the phone with his insurance company.  Power boat guys are screwed i would imagine,  sailboat clearly not under power hit by a powerboat with a radar ....opppps .  Kinda surprised it did demolish the sailboat, I bet they hit at a relatively slow speed.

That’s a j/105.  Those sunbitches are heavy and solid.

re: the question earlier about a deuce on a sailboat - class required equipment in a J/22 includes a five gallon bucket.  If you’ve never used the bucket well, you’re not sailing enough.

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Yeah, I'm just surprised something as obscure as this went through the interwebs so quick. I got this picture texted to me by the guy that took it.

The type 1s on the power boaters really sets it off.

30 minutes ago, CoTex said:

That’s a j/105.  Those sunbitches are heavy and solid.

re: the question earlier about a deuce on a sailboat - class required equipment in a J/22 includes a five gallon bucket.  If you’ve never used the bucket well, you’re not sailing enough.

As a non terrible person I advocate forcibly removing all J/105s from the gene pool obviously, but this is a little over the top even for me.

1 hour ago, Loco said:

My guess on the life jackets is they know they're fucked and getting a full body cavity search by the coast guard, police or whoever has jurisdiction there.

"Boys, I know the law says we just gotta have life jackets for enough souls onboard, but put those fuckers on.  I'm in enough shit as is.  Jim, you hold the whistle.  Bill, you grab the horn.  Frank, here's the flares.  Hank, you dump all the beer and whiskey overboard.  I'll hide the coke in the head.  Craig, you know what to do.  The usual.  Dump the five dead hookers overboard."

• Like 1