The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I bought a new Ullman headsail a couple of years ago.  I'm guessing that cloth is just a tad bit more expensive.

giphy.webp

This is actually a brand new hotness they have been trying out in the 52s last year. We are one of the first to get it. There's filament glue to the fibers instead of mylar skin.

Outboard update. 

Mechanic still had the same issue with the refs stopping at 3k rpm. When we hook up an auxiliary gas tank the boat runs 100%. 6k plus rpm. 

The tank was flushed and ethonaol free gas was added. All hoses and pumps are working correctly. No loose wires or fittings. We are all at a stopping point. 

Is it bad gas?  Could there be debris in the tank from the flush?  Is there something that could cause a physical obstruction like a valve in the tank?  

Not sure what the next step is and the mechanic doesn’t seem to know what next either. 

Flush the tank again and try new gas again?  Remove the tank?  Frustrating as fuck. 

• Like 1

Hauled the boat out two weeks ago for a bottom job, port saildrive work (new gasket, ring, and valve), and replaced two thruhulls.

bottom.jpg

saildrives.jpg

We brought her back yesterday and were soon greeted by this:

IMG-20190618-095359-01.jpg

There was no getting around it. Sanibel Island was to our starboard and the storm extended far to the south off our port. Fortunately we caught just the northern tip of it and only had bad weather for an hour. Once we got past it we had great sailing. 15-20 knots of wind on our beam for our ~40 mile trip past Captiva and Cayo Costa and into Charlotte Harbor.

IMG-20190618-115956303.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, G650 said:

It's alive.

20190619-105800.jpg

View from the penthouse 

20190619-094204.jpg

Do you pay someone to dive the hull and scrub it everyday or what? Never been in a race boat that is difficult to put on the hard when done with the days festivities.  Maybe it isn't hard to haul out? I know nothing about it.

19 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Do you pay someone to dive the hull and scrub it everyday or what? Never been in a race boat that is difficult to put on the hard when done with the days festivities.  Maybe it isn't hard to haul out? I know nothing about it.

We actually did dry sail the last one, but consciously decided to keep this in water so we use it more. Putting Baltoplate on it, so needs cleaning every third day or so.

50 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Outboard update. 

Mechanic still had the same issue with the refs stopping at 3k rpm. When we hook up an auxiliary gas tank the boat runs 100%. 6k plus rpm. 

The tank was flushed and ethonaol free gas was added. All hoses and pumps are working correctly. No loose wires or fittings. We are all at a stopping point. 

Is it bad gas?  Could there be debris in the tank from the flush?  Is there something that could cause a physical obstruction like a valve in the tank?  

Not sure what the next step is and the mechanic doesn’t seem to know what next either. 

Flush the tank again and try new gas again?  Remove the tank?  Frustrating as fuck. 

ha ha ...  This is my list of suspects

1. Primer Ball = just change it out unless you tested that with the external tank
  2. Fuel/water separator = just change it out
  3. Tank vent...  make sure that it's not blocked (forming a vacuum = fuel starvation)
  4. Check for leaks in the fuel line. (air getting into the line breaking the suction over certain threshold)
  5. Check tank pick-up...  fun fun fun

If that doesn't work just start from the engine and work backwards.  Changing each section as you go and test against exterior tank.  I've seen fuel lines that looked new on the outside but had a flap of material on the inside that would block flow once suction from the fuel pump kicked in.

My money is on the Fuel/Water separator...  

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Hauled the boat out two weeks ago for a bottom job, port saildrive work (new gasket, ring, and valve), and replaced two thruhulls.

bottom.jpg

saildrives.jpg

There was no getting around it. Sanibel Island was to our starboard and the storm extended far to the south off our port. Fortunately we caught just the northern tip of it and only had bad weather for an hour. Once we got past it we had great sailing. 15-20 knots of wind on our beam for our ~40 mile trip past Captiva and Cayo Costa and into Charlotte Harbor.

Awesome.  More boat pics.  And what is the update on your cruising plans?

Edited by Sbbruin

2 hours ago, Viking said:

bottom.jpg

saildrives.jpg

That’s some bad timing. We’ve been on Sanibel since the middle of May and it’s been dry as a bone up until the last week or so. If you came through this weekend or early this week, there was some pretty nasty weather to deal with. I am glad it rained though, we needed some.

5 hours ago, Loco said:

ha ha ...  This is my list of suspects

1. Primer Ball = just change it out unless you tested that with the external tank
  2. Fuel/water separator = just change it out
  3. Tank vent...  make sure that it's not blocked (forming a vacuum = fuel starvation)
  4. Check for leaks in the fuel line. (air getting into the line breaking the suction over certain threshold)
  5. Check tank pick-up...  fun fun fun

If that doesn't work just start from the engine and work backwards.  Changing each section as you go and test against exterior tank.  I've seen fuel lines that looked new on the outside but had a flap of material on the inside that would block flow once suction from the fuel pump kicked in.

My money is on the Fuel/Water separator...  

Agree on all of the above, but I also figured your mechanic would have already checked all of those?  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, G650 said:

giphy.webp

This is actually a brand new hotness they have been trying out in the 52s last year. We are one of the first to get it. There's filament glue to the fibers instead of mylar skin.

Somebody at quantum or dimension polyant or whoever missed a really cool marketing opportunity here.

”if you liked Dacron, you’re going to love...

Blackron!”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoTex said:

G650 - the Main is on a halyard lock so all luff tension control is done at the clew, correct?  Do you still call that Cunningham or is there some new cooler word like ... downhaul?

Downfucker.

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

unfortunately,  yes

Well, maybe.   You'll just have to explain to me if he worked from the engine to tank vent just how it's magically not happening on an external tank.

Sure I left out Fuel gauge senders and a super rare faulty tank anti-siphon valve, but that's about it.  Depending on the age of the outboard there just isn't much (bulb, separator, fuel lines, pickup, tank vent)

Possibly a failing fuel pump that can just pull enough fuel off a low restriction environment to run, but can't get over the hump pulling fuel through the boat...I doubt it.

If you run it off that boat tank, does pumping the fuel ball help you get full RPM...  if so might be fuel pumps.

If you suspect the fuel, pump some out of the boat into a clean remote tank and see if it'll run off that...  if so it's not the fuel, and it's not the motor...leaving you with....all the shit I mentioned.

It's not voodoo it's trial and error and sweating and cussing...good luck

Edited by Loco

On 6/19/2019 at 5:50 PM, Sbbruin said:

Awesome.  More boat pics.  And what is the update on your cruising plans?

Most of my boat pictures are of stuff I'm working. Corroded and burned shore power connectors, the backside of raymarine windspeed display, etc. I'll try to get and post up more boat pics though.

Current plans are to leave in Nov-Jan to head to the Bahamas. Longer term is to get south to Grenada for next hurricane season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Viking said:

Most of my boat pictures are of stuff I'm working. Corroded and burned shore power connectors, the backside of raymarine windspeed display, etc. I'll try to get and post up more boat pics though.

Current plans are to leave in Nov-Jan to head to the Bahamas. Longer term is to get south to Grenada for next hurricane season.

Are you the poster from TOS that was just learning to sail? Started off around the keys? I think? How long has it been and what sort of experiences have you had out on the blue water?  I love the cat! Very nice.

• Like 1

Chicken sandwich. I had a similar issue but I can’t quite figure how it would relate to yours. This was on an old skiff I had that was carbed (I understand yours isn’t).  Anyhow, what seemed like millions of tiny pieces of my fuel line degraded from the ethanol collected in the bowls. Boat would run perfect in the ditch, then as soon as you hit waves or anything to disturb the bowls it was game over. Would plug the jets.  I don’t see how that would happen on something injected tho. Either way I feel your pain, it’s an especially shitty feeling - similar to chasing an electrical gremlin.  If it’s not doing it on the external tank, it’s obviously between the tank and motor somewhere. 

On 6/20/2019 at 5:17 PM, Loco said:

Well, maybe.   You'll just have to explain to me if he worked from the engine to tank vent just how it's magically not happening on an external tank.

Sure I left out Fuel gauge senders and a super rare faulty tank anti-siphon valve, but that's about it.  Depending on the age of the outboard there just isn't much (bulb, separator, fuel lines, pickup, tank vent)

Possibly a failing fuel pump that can just pull enough fuel off a low restriction environment to run, but can't get over the hump pulling fuel through the boat...I doubt it.

If you run it off that boat tank, does pumping the fuel ball help you get full RPM...  if so might be fuel pumps.

If you suspect the fuel, pump some out of the boat into a clean remote tank and see if it'll run off that...  if so it's not the fuel, and it's not the motor...leaving you with....all the shit I mentioned.

It's not voodoo it's trial and error and sweating and cussing...good luck

Yep, headed back next week to check all of the parts that were "replaced" again.  Just work our way back.  Will also drain and flush the tank again to see if that does anything

Tried pumping the ball at throttle and get no response. 

Great call on the gas pump out....will see if we can try that too.

Anyone run a newer dual console for part time fishing? I’m thinking of selling the X-1 and moving over to a DC that I can use at home and also at the beach. I had my mind set on a 22 foot bay boat, but the DC just seems more practical when we’re probably more than 50% kids/family/cruising and less on the fishing side. I’ve looked at the Grady and BW variations but have also started looking at the Robalo and Edgewaters as well.

DC's are definitely a compromise boats but great for boating with kids. Mine's not new but I have a 2005 Key West 2020DC with  Yamaha F150.  I've had it 30 miles out of Freeport on a Saturday fishing for snapper and kings and towed the kids on tubes and skis at the lake on Sunday.  I can fish 3 pretty easy and we take 5 or 6 out for watersports.  We have towed the boat up to Arkansas to Lake Ouchita and DeGray,  down to Corpus, over to Destin and a bunch of lakes in  East and Central Texas.  Most of our family vacations centered around taking the boat somewhere we hadn't been before.

Came real close to buying a Robalo R227 about 6 or 7 years ago and it or the R247 would be on my shortlist for upgrading.   If I had Surly 1% money, I would have a Grady Freedom 275 with twin 250s.

17afd783-1.jpg

3526dcb5-1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=223535&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=163365&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=313885&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=313884&stc=1

61a598f6-1.jpg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Yep, headed back next week to check all of the parts that were "replaced" again.  Just work our way back.  Will also drain and flush the tank again to see if that does anything

Tried pumping the ball at throttle and get no response. 

Great call on the gas pump out....will see if we can try that too.

You probably know about it but thehulltruth.com can be helpful, occasionally. 

So I haven’t been down to the boat since mid April which is fairly normal for this time of year because we transition from sailfish fishing to marlin fishing. Been doing a little boat work, mainly replacing the floor where you enter the salon because it had rotted out from a combination of use and a bad gasket in the door. We did a bunch of work last year, including replacing the salon carpet, then I get this series of pictures sent to me from CR. I love boats.

1016-E445-06-A4-4327-A18-F-9-B55-E112-FD
5315-BBCB-2110-4-E9-F-9084-B0-A903-BF32-
994328-A1-A1-BF-4-F49-B465-DFDEC8-D023-B
2012 porsche panamera turbo 0 60

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, davidg said:

DC's are definitely a compromise boats but great for boating with kids. Mine's not new but I have a 2005 Key West 2020DC with  Yamaha F150.  I've had it 30 miles out of Freeport on a Saturday fishing for snapper and kings and towed the kids on tubes and skis at the lake on Sunday.  I can fish 3 pretty easy and we take 5 or 6 out for watersports.  We have towed the boat up to Arkansas to Lake Ouchita and DeGray,  down to Corpus, over to Destin and a bunch of lakes in  East and Central Texas.  Most of our family vacations centered around taking the boat somewhere we hadn't been before.

Came real close to buying a Robalo R227 about 6 or 7 years ago and it or the R247 would be on my shortlist for upgrading.   If I had Surly 1% money, I would have a Grady Freedom 275 with twin 250s.

17afd783-1.jpg

3526dcb5-1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=223535&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=163365&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=313885&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=313884&stc=1

61a598f6-1.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts. The downsides for me are losing some ability to get into the shallowest spots to fish and towing a heavier boat 900 miles between houses. However, the kids are out with me significantly more than just me being out fishing at least for a few more years, so it may be a good compromise. They rarely wakeboard any more and just want to tube and swim while home and beach hop and fish a little while at the beach. I may take a closer look at the 22 foot varieties.

• Like 1

Its not a flats boat by any means.  I go with a buddy or take my Jon boat or kayak if I'm planning on fishing shallower than waist deep.

This guy pulled up next to me on a rock offshore and it's what got me interested in the Robalos R227s.  He had the top custom made by TopnTowers and it includes a ski tow.   Its big enough to take 6 adults and has the side console toilet area for the girls.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157199&stc=1

48 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Y’all are making me feel selfish.  The kids and wife have had to adapt to what works best for my fishing. 

If I lived close enough to fish more frequently, I wouldn’t be looking around. I would just buy the ‘24 foot bay boat I want and keep two options. However, they are at the beach 10 weeks a summer (I’m there maybe 3-4) and then we’re down a couple more weeks off and on during the year. We’re on the lake 3 months when school is in before and after summer. When we’re there, I fish early and then pick them up to sandbar hop. When they are back here they are at the lake. I still may just keep the X-1 here and buy a decent bay boat for the beach, but finding a nice version of a happy medium may not be a bad idea. Plus with 2 girls and the wife, the toilet option isn’t a bad option other.