On 6/1/2018 at 8:35 PM, Gil Bang said:

what a piece of shit. 

Worst John Wayne movie ever?  

19 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

the conqueror says hi

big-jim-mclain-movieposter-imdb-1024x802

Also released dubbed in German with a different title

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-28%20at%203.32.2

When I was a kid one of the major television networks broadcasted Hondo in 3-D. You had to go by Randall’s and pick up your glasses in order to watch it. My dad was so fucking excited.   My dad made hamburgers and baked beans and all sorts of “cowboy food“. One of the only times as a kid I truly saw my dad just get casually drunk on a Sunday. 

With all that said, it’s OK, but it certainly isn’t some piece of shit or his worst effort. 

Long live The Duke.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:16 PM, The Earl of Texas said:

When I was a kid one of the major television networks broadcasted Hondo in 3-D. You had to go by Randall’s and pick up your glasses in order to watch it. My dad was so fucking excited.

It was around 1990 I think. I was bartending in Graham and we had a big watch party. Even buzzed it was pretty under whelming except for a few arrows you weren't expecting.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:16 PM, The Earl of Texas said:

When I was a kid one of the major television networks broadcasted Hondo in 3-D. You had to go by Randall’s and pick up your glasses in order to watch it. My dad was so fucking excited.   My dad made hamburgers and baked beans and all sorts of “cowboy food“. One of the only times as a kid I truly saw my dad just get casually drunk on a Sunday. 

With all that said, it’s OK, but it certainly isn’t some piece of shit or his worst effort. 

Long live The Duke.

There was an entire Married with Children episode about this.  If my memory's correct, it was in 3-D, too.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:54 AM, BornOrange said:

And Green Berets is Oscar level filmmaking compared to The Conqueror.

The first half of TGBs is great and provocative.  But at one point it becomes a long shoot out and abandons most of it's story.  IIRC the Duke also had that flaw when he directed The Alamo.

And Green Berets is Oscar level filmmaking compared to The Conqueror.

That’s funny, I watched the green berets just about a week ago and couldn’t make it through it, it was truly awful, the all time worst has to be The Conqueror however.

The last person on the planet, outside of Sidney Portier, that should have been cast as a Mongol is John Wayne...

6 hours ago, Mileslong said:

The last person on the planet, outside of Sidney Portier, that should have been cast as a Mongol is John Wayne.

Portier would have been interesting. "They call me MISTER Khan!"

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:21 PM, idahorn said:

Hondo was kinda mixed as far as quality.  The Conqueror was awful, but several of his last films (not including The Shootist) were just a series of remakes of remakes.  The Searchers makes up for a lot.

Except that Monument Valley is not in West Texas and the Colt SAA Peacemaker & Winchester Mode 1892 didn't exist in 1868.