Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

There's a lot of catching up to do in this thread so I'll just hit on a few bullet points

-  tried to work a deal on a car with R/D on 3 seperate occasions and walked away all 3 times wondering how the hell they ever sold anything

- I was one of Amanda's original moderators when she started RP. It's ridiculous what that place has become. 1st Shaggy and now Surly is without a doubt the best site for discussing Tech. Thank You, Horns, for welcoming us lost souls in here.

- I agree that KK handcuffed himself with his initial staff and has been playing catchup ever since. It's a shame because I think the group he has now could really be good if allowed to survive this season - but I don't see that happening

- as for the starting QB, I'd go with the freshman

- visited Washington and Oregon for the 1st time this summer along with trips to Zona and Cali and I gotta say that while those are all great road trips, they need to remain non-conference 

• Like 1

On August 13, 2018 at 5:50 PM, Neonmoon said:

Texas Tech chancellor getting fired soon

35 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

It was, in fact, the exact opposite

Rick with a P Perry

Looks like aggy fingerprints are all the Tech Chancellor's ouster:

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/n...er-pressure-on-politics-vet-school/1369478882

5 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

He ‘retired’ at the instruction of the board at its last meeting. He wasn’t hitting his fundraising targets.

Duncan has only been there four years.  From today's Austin American Statesman:  Under Duncan’s watch, the system has raised more than $585 million in philanthropic support, and its endowment has grown by $150 million to $1.3 billion.

He announced his imminent retirement just after a board meeting with essentially no reason given publicly for why or for why so soon. My understanding is that he is graded on contributions directly attributable to him, and that such have not been what was hoped. I am not on the board and rely on a source who could, of course, be fos.

This is about the Vet school planned for Amarillo. aggy is doing everything within their power to stop it:

The first news of a possible retirement came from Michael Q. Sullivan, president and chief executive officer of Empower Texans, and also a graduate and strong supporter of Texas A&M. Sullivan hinted at controversy in Duncan’s departure in a tweet Monday afternoon that stated, “Am told by several sources that the chancellor of a major Texas university system is being forced out over financial issues. Awaiting official word. I wonder if this will be enough for #TxLege & regents to provide actual #highed oversight?”

4 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

WhyTF is Abbott so chummy with John Sharp?

It's not the current governor that is buddies with Sharp.  

It's one that is a former C student Yell Leader, nationally renowned dancer, and that is perfectly coiffed.  He appointed supporters and buddies of his that were connected at least loosely with Tech to the Board of Regents. He is again in a position of authority and is calling in favors for Sharp.  He told Duncan, "Adios, Mofo."

my aggy friends always act surprised why I hate Texas A&M so much...then when I real you off their lies and petty bullshit through the years, it goes into, “ Well, you gotta understand...”

no, fuck you motherfuckers.  You will never change and there’s a reason y’all are the biggest hypocrites on the planet.  Go fucking die  In a fire... I don’t even care if you light it first.

Edited by slorch

29 minutes ago, slorch said:

my aggy friends always act surprised why I hate Texas A&M so much...then when I real you off their lies and petty bullshit through the years, it goes into, “ Well, you gotta understand...”

no, fuck you motherfuckers.  You will never change and there’s a reason y’all are the biggest hypocrites on the planet.  Go fucking die  In a fire... I don’t even care if you light it first.

Testify, brother.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

oxymoron

2 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

It's not the current governor that is buddies with Sharp.  

It's one that is a former C student Yell Leader, nationally renowned dancer, and that is perfectly coiffed.  He appointed supporters and buddies of his that were connected at least loosely with Tech to the Board of Regents. He is again in a position of authority and is calling in favors for Sharp.  He told Duncan, "Adios, Mofo."

This was in the link that you posted last night:

Aggie Chancellor John Sharp doesn't want Tech to have a vet school and he has Governor Abbott's ear.

Also, I recall Greg Abbott giving John Sharp some huge Hurricane Harvey relief fund to manage last year.

Edited by Rusty Shackelford

14 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Duncan has only been there four years.  From today's Austin American Statesman:  Under Duncan’s watch, the system has raised more than $585 million in philanthropic support, and its endowment has grown by $150 million to $1.3 billion.

If all that was done in 4 years, there better be a surefire replacement before Duncan is shown the door...

9 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

So yesterday the theory was that the (aggy appointed) Tech Regents forced out the Tech Chancellor to make the vet school go away, and now we find out that those regents approved the vet school last week?  Something doesn't add up.

Trust me on this.  It adds up.  The art of the deal for the 5 Tech regents who voted 5-4 to oust Duncan, was to nix the vet school without appearing they are directly doing so.  It would play much better for their reputations to let it seem on the surface , "well, we tried, but it just died in the legislature".  They clearly anticipated some public reaction and seek to have no visible dirt on their hands.

Interested in Tech or not, this will be a fascinating one to watch.  I don't have the time or space to adaqutely cover the nuances, issues and personalities involved in this entire can of worms.  The Tech alumni, media and political reaction has been even more intense and angry than even the perpetrators anticipated is my guess.  

TT is far from bankrupt in the political and deep pocket categories on this deal.  On the other hand, A&M isn't either and Sharp, Perry, and Abbott didn't just get off a boatload of goats politically either (sheep maybe?).  As I said, this one will be interesting to watch.

• Like 1

Seems to me that enemies of aggy would like the sideshow of making sure the vet school happens now.

Gotdammit, I slept on it and my hate’s still there.  Perfect example of why you never reschedule aggy is football.  You don’t associate with them unless absolutely necessary.

Fuck those squarehead motherfuckers.

Robert Duncan is a helluva guy and it was a huge mistake for Tech to let him go.  This smells of politics to me.  Duncan is a former state senator and has always been part of the more moderate wing of the Republican party.  With the party's lurch to the hard right, I'm sure that he found himself at odds with some of the behind the scenes kingmakers like Sullivan and they engineered this based on a false pretext.  Shit like this is why I left the Republican party after being a Reagan volunteer in '84 and voting in Republican primaries for over 30 years.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

Robert Duncan is a helluva guy and it was a huge mistake for Tech to let him go.  This smells of politics to me.  Duncan is a former state senator and has always been part of the more moderate wing of the Republican party.  With the party's lurch to the hard right, I'm sure that he found himself at odds with some of the behind the scenes kingmakers like Sullivan and they engineered this based on a false pretext.  Shit like this is why I left the Republican party after being a Reagan volunteer in '84 and voting in Republican primaries for over 30 years.

Let's just be clear that "Tech" did not let him go.  Rather, it was a group of Aggy Perry-appointed Regents with little, if any, real connection to Texas Tech University who forced him out.  Perry fucked over higher education in Texas for years with his BOR appointments across the board along with his legislative agendas for over a decade.

• Like 2

And Angelo's frog is 100% correct about Bob Duncan.  I remember when he first ran for the house back in the 90's.  Duncan has always been what I would consider a true model of what a good leader should be.  If we had more politicians at both the state and federal level like Duncan, we wouldn't be in near the mess we are in today.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

Don’t get ahead of yourself, MQS is not a kingmaker.