2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

I screwed up last season and guided an inexperienced hunter into shooting two does, the second of which happened to be a button buck. I just didn’t check closely enough. Honestly it was only at ~100 yards so I probably just took a glance through the binos before giving him the green light. My eyes just aren’t good enough to take much for granted anymore.

Luckily he wasn’t bothered by it.

About 15 years ago, I was hunting at my lease in South Texas.  We didn't have any game cameras, but my uncle had seen a big mainframe 10 with matching kickers on his G2s right before the rut.  He was out filling feeders and came across him mid-day.  I hadn't shot a "trophy" buck on that place in a few years, so the following weekend I went and sat in a stand nearby.  Got in the stand on Saturday morning and it was super foggy.  I knew I had deer in the sendero, and when the fog finally started to burned off around 9:00, I saw the buck my uncle had seen at about 80 yards.  I dropped him in his tracks, let him lay for a bit, and got out of the stand.  It was a 10 with matching kickers... but he was only about 18" wide and not super heavy.  It wasn't the same deer.  I shot a 3-1/2 y/o with TONS of potential.  Needless to say, I take my time to be 100% sure on my shot now.  We've all screwed up at some point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

4.4 miles

bullet travel time 24.5 seconds

dang

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/firearm-hunting/7-774-yards-new-world-record-rifle-shot-set-in-wyoming

(Of course, you badasses could pull it off with your concealed Ruger LCP .380s)

I can hit a beer can at over 100 with a Daisy Red Rider multiple times. It's all about being able to calculate the drop. Won many cases of beer. That guy is good at math.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I can hit a beer can at over 100 with a Daisy Red Rider multiple times. It's all about being able to calculate the drop. Won many cases of beer. That guy is good at math.

CHIEF

lol, same.  Distance from the front porch of the cabin to the steel plates on the far side of the stock tank is 129 yards.  I have metal plates our there about the size of a soccer ball.  I can bullseye most every time with my Ruger .22lr pistol.  I have a marker in the trees that is the exact elevation to aim for that so far, nobody else has noticed.  Won mucho booze this way.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

lol, same.  Distance from the front porch of the cabin to the steel plates on the far side of the stock tank is 129 yards.  I have metal plates our there about the size of a soccer ball.  I can bullseye most every time with my Ruger .22lr pistol.  I have a marker in the trees that is the exact elevation to aim for that so far, nobody else has noticed.  Won mucho booze this way.  

If you’re not cheating you’re not trying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

I still have my childhood Red Ryder. Its velocity now is low enough that I can follow the BB, like shooting tracer rounds. Enjoyable as hell to plink. 🙂

2 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I still have my childhood Red Ryder. Its velocity now is low enough that I can follow the BB, like shooting tracer rounds. Enjoyable as hell to plink. 🙂

I wear mine out. I've been through 4-5. I have my new one, which has probably 15 rounds through it, so I can't see the BB yet. But when it does slow down so I can see it, it will be my ringer. I have two more, brand new, in their boxes in my closet.

CHIEF

Did my last bit of target practice Saturday while the OU game was starting. not great / not terrible results. (Swirling wind, i held too much windage, need to not overcompensate)

I couldn’t let it screw up my hunting prep if Texas was screwing up in Dallas; figured I’d watch later on delay or dvr. Dad came down to the barn at halftime and said you’re going to want to come see this, so I wrapped up practice and enjoyed the game. Still enjoying it on third rewatching.

Back to hunting: took time Sunday and Monday to get 95% packed. Leaving Thursday, can’t wait. Imitation elk quarter isn’t going; getting in a one more Ruck around the neighborhood tonight before I swap the cargo net off the frame for the bag.

7cca6328decfc74cb103bcdd40718f21.jpg

0d9b8143cedfeb514567750f8b3186ed.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, 686 said:

Did my last bit of target practice Saturday while the OU game was starting. not great / not terrible results. (Swirling wind, i held too much windage, need to not overcompensate)

I couldn’t let it screw up my hunting prep if Texas was screwing up in Dallas; figured I’d watch later on delay or dvr. Dad came down to the barn at halftime and said you’re going to want to come see this, so I wrapped up practice and enjoyed the game. Still enjoying it on third rewatching.

Back to hunting: took time Sunday and Monday to get 95% packed. Leaving Thursday, can’t wait. Imitation elk quarter isn’t going; getting in a one more Ruck around the neighborhood tonight before I swap the cargo net off the frame for the bag.

7cca6328decfc74cb103bcdd40718f21.jpg

0d9b8143cedfeb514567750f8b3186ed.jpg

Have a great trip.  Remind us again where you’re off to. 

• Like 1

Cooked elk steaks from my last year’s bull over the open fire tonight which was nice. Also bought a bear tag today. We saw a decent black bear last year here and the neighbor said they saw a big one a few months ago. Bear bacon, bear grease, hams, a rug and a skull would be fun.

In the frontier days, bears were market hunted for eating while deer were primarily market hunted for hides.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I’m going to pat myself on the back for a minute, just got the numbers texted to me about 30 minutes ago.

Year 15 of starting and being the VP of the local Delta Waterfowl chapter. We typically hit around 45k gross and 18k net each year. This years wasn’t a record for gross or net, but we hit 52k and 22k respectively on Thursday. Recognized a few times in the top ten in the magazine for net.

The president and treasurer and myself are turning it over to the young bucks who are really doing the legwork on tables and gathering guns. The chapter is in good hands.

Don’t forget: ducks unlimited hates Jesus, old people, and puppies. Support your local Delta Waterfowl chapter.

• Hook 'Em 5

21 hours ago, 686 said:

Cooked elk steaks from my last year’s bull over the open fire tonight which was nice. Also bought a bear tag today. We saw a decent black bear last year here and the neighbor said they saw a big one a few months ago. Bear bacon, bear grease, hams, a rug and a skull would be fun.

In the frontier days, bears were market hunted for eating while deer were primarily market hunted for hides.

Bear grease apparently makes great patch lube for muzzleloaders and all kinds of other stuff. There's even records of pioneers felting the fur, along with raccoon fur to make hats out of.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 10:26 PM, 686 said:

Yep.  Rinella edumacated me on that watching Meat Eater.  Also said mountain lion meat is better than pork?  I've had bear steaks with some kind if berry reduction sauce.  Damn good.  

Heading out to the lease this evening to catch some of this cold weather tomorrow morning. Was able to get in 3 hunts for the archery opener, but didn't see much. The rainfall the area received just before the start of the season has it looking like spring out there. Nothing is coming to the feeders.

I have a spot about 15' up in an oak tree that gives me a good view in every direction. Saw a nice, dark-horned 7 or 8 pointer from that spot a few weeks ago about 120 yards out...wouldn't mind getting a closer look at him. Wouldn't mind putting a doe in the freezer either.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yep.  Rinella edumacated me on that watching Meat Eater.  Also said mountain lion meat is better than pork?  I've had bear steaks with some kind if berry reduction sauce.  Damn good.  

I’ve heard him talk about it and I think it was in a book I read about Boone. Also there is a roadside historical monument by a settler’s cabin site close to Junction that talks about how they ate bears in lieu of pork there as well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, 686 said:

I’ve heard him talk about it and I think it was in a book I read about Boone. Also there is a roadside historical monument by a settler’s cabin site close to Junction that talks about how they ate bears in lieu of pork there as well.

The bear is also so much more practical for early travelers.  The heavier hide.  The fat/tallow.  The richer meat.  All of it.  Venison is so lean.  You might have heard of the "rabbit" starvation, or more properly - protein starvation.  When the meat is so lean, your stomach is full, but the lack of fat is problematic is you are not eating the organs, etc.  

As long as you don't undercook the meat - most predator meat is outstanding (trichinosis)

Went to my new lease in Arkansas for muzzle loader opener this weekend. Had a gentleman on the lease who had a gas leak in his camper. Long story short check you equipment and get a fire extinguisher. This could have gone really bad. 1 person with minor burns and a 1 with some a bit more serious. 

5F9DC8AA-9D24-41F7-813E-6DF0C3A1B90E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Went to my new lease in Arkansas for muzzle loader opener this weekend. Had a gentleman on the lease who had a gas leak in his camper. Long story short check you equipment and get a fire extinguisher. This could have gone really bad. 1 person with minor burns and a 1 with some a bit more serious. 
5F9DC8AA-9D24-41F7-813E-6DF0C3A1B90E.thumb.jpeg.928256a73abc122b33d61edf644941b3.jpeg

Holee shitt.
Hope they turn out ok.
Keep us posted.
That coulda been so bad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well, bad luck today again. On my way into the spot I wanted to hunt today I spooked a good size herd that was bedded maybe 30 yards off the trail. It was too dark to see them but it was a good number of elk, lots of noise as they got up and got out. There wasn’t a way to pursue them through the thick timber and private land was only a mile or so the direction they headed, so I waited at my spot, a nice meadow up the hill from where they were bedded, but no luck. Another beautiful day 8000’ above my typical rat race. Taking a nap in the mountains after a backpack lunch out of cell service is best nap possible.

032ee386419a9e198fe790a95ff86bfe.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Went to my new lease in Arkansas for muzzle loader opener this weekend. Had a gentleman on the lease who had a gas leak in his camper. Long story short…

That’s terrible but wow could have been so much worse. Glad everybody made it out alive.