This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL it's almost always something embarrassing when this thread gets bumped. 

I'm a fan of Okie Lite -- Gundy always gets more out of his talent, and most Okie Lite posts on Surly are interesting and entertaining...

OSU Football: Mike Gundy On Rattlesnake Hunting

5 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Meh. Random message board fans posting stupid shit is one thing. Admit it, your first fear was that Gundy said/did something a 40 year old man shouldn't do.

LOL.  Every time I see this thread get bumped, I assume it is something terrible. :D 

19 hours ago, Homercles said:

Yeah I have always felt welcomed here, and have always appreciated that.  I tell people that this community is my ‘home’ on the internet, and get funny looks when I explain it’s a UT board full of surly assholes whose original mascot was a shaggy cow and is lead by a guy famous for drawing dicks…they’ll never understand.  

Generalizations about fanbases are like generalizations in…uhh…general:  they may be reasonably applicable using broad strokes but there will always be diversity when you look close.  At a high level i feel like us Pokes have a smaller proportion of t-shirt fans, have never had a sustained period as top dog in big sports, and overall are a more humble lot that uses humor/humility to compensate.  We have our own collection of dickheads, douchebags and dumbasses as well…but they’re a smaller slice of a smaller fan base, thus our reputation is more ISU than OU types.  

Having Gundy as the de facto face of the university fits really well…he makes the most of what he’s got, has character in spades, and is the kind of guy you want to have a beer with.  He may turtle up against OU, I don’t agree with his politics, and he almost seems afraid of going after the biggest recruits…but he’s an Everyman who will take his shirt off at a pep rally, hunt rattlesnakes, embarrass his kids for sport, and speak his mind.  

I’ll miss him when he retires.  Guys like him, Holliday, Smith and Boynton don’t come along very often and I’m proud they represent the school that got me to fall in love with a small town in bumfuck Oklahoma. 

Edited to add onto this novel:  I’m going to miss playing you guys every year.  Becoming competitive with y’all in football has been something that makes me very proud (esp as I live ‘in’ Austin) and seemed impossible back in the early 2000’s.   I’d be happy to never play OU again, we always blow it and their fans are always trash at games.   However I’ve found I intrinsically get along with you Texas folks.  

The only thing I disagree with is "turtling up" against OU. They are a historic blueblood that recruits tons of 4 and 5 star players. There is no reason we should ever be able to beat them. We snuck up on them a few times, and now they take us super serious, never make a mistake. Our desire to beat them is less than or equal to their desire to not lose to us. We have regularly scored 40, 50 + on them and still lose. They are a juggernaut and they have a target on us to not lose. I want to win that game more than anything, but it just doesn't happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The only thing I disagree with is "turtling up" against OU. They are a historic blueblood that recruits tons of 4 and 5 star players. There is no reason we should ever be able to beat them. We snuck up on them a few times, and now they take us super serious, never make a mistake. Our desire to beat them is less than or equal to their desire to not lose to us. We have regularly scored 40, 50 + on them and still lose. They are a juggernaut and they have a target on us to not lose. I want to win that game more than anything, but it just doesn't happen.

My only counter to that is other teams in the league beat them and we don’t have that problem against Texas that recruits about the same level…then again your point about them being extra prepared against us is valid as well.  I just wish we were more aggressive consistently as we have nothing to lose. 

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

We absolutely gave away a few and I think we lost out on one or two conference championships because of it.

The only one of those games we had absolutely, positively no business losing was the 2013 game when it was like 0 degrees at kickoff.

It’s the only other time in the Gundy tenure outside of 2011 that we were clearly and obviously the better team… we had just pasted a top 5 Rape U team a few weeks before and all we had to do was beat Bob Stoops’ worst OU team and we would have won our second Big 12 title in 3 years. But we shit down our leg and lost to fucking Blake Bell and let Rape U get a backdoor Big 12 title. No excuse for that one.

For the rest of them, they were either coin-toss games (2012, among others) or we were the decided underdog.

Another complicating factor - we’ve almost always played OU in the last game of the year, when the attrition of injuries had us at a distinct disadvantage. Because in terms of talent, we’ve almost always had frontline starters that could play with them, but the real drop-off is when you get into the 2nd/3rd string guys, especially at key positions. They are still rolling out 3- and 4-star recruits and we are rolling out 2-stars and walkons.

Should Gundy have a better record than he does against OU? Yeah I guess. But it’s not like anyone is beating them regularly in this conference, as evidenced by them winning the Big 12 every fucking year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The only one of those games we had absolutely, positively no business losing was the 2013 game when it was like 0 degrees at kickoff.
It’s the only other time in the Gundy tenure outside of 2011 that we were clearly and obviously the better team… we had just pasted a top 5 Rape U team a few weeks before and all we had to do was beat Bob Stoops’ worst OU team and we would have won our second Big 12 title in 3 years. But we shit down our leg and lost to fucking Blake Bell and let Rape U get a backdoor Big 12 title. No excuse for that one.
For the rest of them, they were either coin-toss games (2012, among others) or we were the decided underdog.
Another complicating factor - we’ve almost always played OU in the last game of the year, when the attrition of injuries had us at a distinct disadvantage. Because in terms of talent, we’ve almost always had frontline starters that could play with them, but the real drop-off is when you get into the 2nd/3rd string guys, especially at key positions. They are still rolling out 3- and 4-star recruits and we are rolling out 2-stars and walkons.
Should Gundy have a better record than he does against OU? Yeah I guess. But it’s not like anyone is beating them regularly in this conference, as evidenced by them winning the Big 12 every fucking year.

Yes 2011 loss to Iowa State was a gut punch like no other and then 2013 Bedlam did it for me. None of it has been the same since.

Projection has Okie Lite as #1 Defense in Big12 for 2021...

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/espns-sp-projections-very-high-on-osus-defense-in-2021/ 

"ESPN’s SP+ Projections Very High on OSU’s Defense in 2021"  

OSU’s defense finished last season ranked inside the top 20 nationally of ESPN’s SP+ metrics. And if preseason modeling is even remotely accurate in predicting the future, the unit should be even stronger for the Cowboys in 2021.

Connelly’s predictive model, which factors in returning production, recent recruiting and recent history, has OSU’s defense as the strongest unit of the team — by a healthy margin! — at No. 13 in SP+’s most recent update. That ranks ahead of every team in the Big 12 and, most notably, two spots ahead of OU’s defense, which comes in at No. 15.

Defensive Rating

Oklahoma St. 17.4 (13)
Oklahoma 17.9 (15)
Baylor 18.0 (16)
Iowa St. 19.0 (22)
TCU 19.0 (23)
W. Virginia 20.8 (34)
Texas 21.5 (38)
Kansas St. 27.5 (76)
Texas Tech 28.1 (80)
Kansas 34.4 (115)

15 hours ago, Okie State said:
On 8/4/2021 at 4:10 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Yes 2011 loss to Iowa State was a gut punch like no other and then 2013 Bedlam did it for me. None of it has been the same since.

Well yeah - there have been other upsets, obviously... but I was talking specifically about Bedlam.

Houston 2009 was a pretty bad gut punch, right after we knocked off Georgia in the season opener. It was a harbinger of the rest of that season.... losing Dez to stupid NCAA bullshit, Zac and Kendall getting hurt, etc.

Edited by oSuJeff97

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Projection has Okie Lite as #1 Defense in Big12 for 2021...

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/espns-sp-projections-very-high-on-osus-defense-in-2021/ 

"ESPN’s SP+ Projections Very High on OSU’s Defense in 2021"  

OSU’s defense finished last season ranked inside the top 20 nationally of ESPN’s SP+ metrics. And if preseason modeling is even remotely accurate in predicting the future, the unit should be even stronger for the Cowboys in 2021.

Connelly’s predictive model, which factors in returning production, recent recruiting and recent history, has OSU’s defense as the strongest unit of the team — by a healthy margin! — at No. 13 in SP+’s most recent update. That ranks ahead of every team in the Big 12 and, most notably, two spots ahead of OU’s defense, which comes in at No. 15.

Defensive Rating

Oklahoma St. 17.4 (13)
Oklahoma 17.9 (15)
Baylor 18.0 (16)
Iowa St. 19.0 (22)
TCU 19.0 (23)
W. Virginia 20.8 (34)
Texas 21.5 (38)
Kansas St. 27.5 (76)
Texas Tech 28.1 (80)
Kansas 34.4 (115)

Oh, our defense will be good statistically again, no doubt. But we'll manage to give up several key 3rd and longs, enough at least to keep us out of the conference title game. That's how we roll , baby!

45 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Oh, our defense will be good statistically again, no doubt. But we'll manage to give up several key 3rd and longs, enough at least to keep us out of the conference title game. That's how we roll , baby!

Yeah, but those will come on the heels of Coach ImAMan going for it on 4th and 3 at the OSU 40 and blowing it, forcing a gassed defense to defend a short field. THAT'S how Gundy rolls, my friend.

5 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Yeah, but those will come on the heels of Coach ImAMan going for it on 4th and 3 at the OSU 40 and blowing it, forcing a gassed defense to defend a short field. THAT'S how Gundy rolls, my friend.

LOL not bloody likely.

More that was like 2005-2017 Gundy. Now his move is to punt it when it’s 4th and 1 on the opponents’ 40-yard-line when we’re down 5 in the 4th quarter.

13 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL not bloody likely.

More that was like 2005-2017 Gundy. Now his move is to punt it when it’s 4th and 1 on the opponents’ 40-yard-line when we’re down 5 in the 4th quarter.

Keep in mind that during most of that time our defense was atrocious. It didn't matter if they were gassed or not, they were almost certain to give up points in situations like that, so the best defense was actually to go for it and pray that your defense can stay on the sideline. Our defense has improved drastically, but I think Gundy has overcorrected a bit relying too much on the defense and not trusting his offense (but again maybe it's rational considering our offense has slowed down significantly post Rudolph). 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

If true, Illingsworth will have a great game and the fans will get riled up again. Is it really football season in Stillwater without fans clamoring for the backup qb? Next will be blaming the playcalling for any offensive issues. For the record, I don't trust Sanders at this point and am open to Illingsworth, I'm just hoping we don't read anything into beating up on the Mo State fighting Petrinos.

Any Pokes wanna provide analysis of the Missouri State game? Sanders not playing obviously impacted the offense, but not being able to get 50 yards rushing against an FCS team can't all fall on the shoulders of the QB2. Grundy is singing the praises of his defense and keeping any team out of the endzone until the end of the 4th quarter is surely something to be positive about.

• 3 weeks later...

1. People really think that "semen is clogging the pipes" thing is real? FFS. Some version of that has been floating around the Internet since the AOL days.

2. Our poor offensive performance the first 2 weeks is largely due to the fact that we are down to like 1 scholarship WR. Seriously. Five of our top 6 receivers were out by the end of the Boise game.

3. I still can't believe we figured out a way to beat Boise. Lots of OSU fans give Gundy shit these days but he almost always figures out ways to win games like that.

4. Can't believe "I'm a Man! I'm 40!" is 14 fucking years ago. Jesus. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okie lite has a really good O-line coach (Dickey) that worked for the "Purple Wizard" at K-State...

15 things Oklahoma State football said before Texas game

ByCODY NAGEL 8 hours ago

STILLWATER, Okla. — Oklahoma State is going through the final days of preparation for its first conference road game of the season with a matchup against No. 25 Texas in Austin this Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 11 a.m. CT and will air on FOX with Gus Johnson, Joel Klatt and Jenny Taft on the call.

Following Tuesday's practice inside the Sherman E. Smith Training Center, several Cowboys took some time to answer questions from reporters and provide an update on where things stand in the days leading up to the game against Texas. Here are 15 things linebacker Devin Harper, offensive lineman Josh Sills, quarterback Spencer Sanders and defensive end Tyler Lacy said about the Longhorns.

DEVIN HARPER, LINEBACKER

On Texas running back Bijan Robinson:

"He's a good back, they run the offense threw him, so we're just focused on stopping him and going from there to be honest."

"... He knows how to make his body small and makes it hard to tackle. Good open-space back, so we're looking to stop him before he gets in open space."

On Texas quarterback Casey Thompson:

"Good quarterback, loves the deep ball. We're just trying to get pressure on him and make him throw the ball and give it to us."

On how he approaches the Texas game:

"We look at it like every week. We take everybody serious. Obviously this is a big week because we're trying to get 6-0. This is the only team in front of us right now, so we got to make sure we beat them."

On Oklahoma State defensive end Tyler Lacy:

"He's experienced, he's been playing since his sophomore year, so he's experienced. Just having that reliable source there that knows his job, can do his job and know that he trusts the people behind him is a great source."

"... He's a hard-working guy. He's always trying to get to the ball, and always running after the ball. Screens, he's always running there. Loose balls, he's there every time. He's just a natural."

JOSH SILLS, OFFENSIVE LINEMAN

On approaching the next few weeks of game with three out of the four being on the road:

"Personally, I just look at the next week. The more you start to look ahead, the more focus you lose. So I just take it game by game. That's something that coach (Mike) Gundy, coach (Charlie) Dickey, coach (Kasey) Dunn preaches to us is one game at a time."

On what challenge the Texas defensive front presents:

"It's gonna be a big challenge for us this week. They're physical, they're big, they're really active. They get after the quarterback. They do really, they hold up in space. This is a gonna be a great challenge for us up front. We got to play the best we've played all year and be physical."

On if the bye week helped the offensive line advance as a unit:

"Yeah, I think it does, just from the standpoint of really getting back to fundamentals and what being a true offensive lineman is. You don't necessarily have to game plan for a team because you get the week off. So, that just kind of lets you get back to your fundamentals, more individual time, so you get to spend more individual time with coach (Charlie) Dickey. You just get to kind of hone in on your technique a little bit. And it just helps us get a feel even more for each other and what we all feel and what we all think."

On morning kickoffs:

"I think the biggest thing for me that I look at really is, you know with a night game you just sit around. So you feel like you have nothing to do and all you think about is just the game. So you sit there, and I feel like the day just takes 30 hours, because you got down and have breakfast, you have meetings, do all that stuff, and then you go back up to your room, get hour and a half, two hours to kind of sit around, do whatever you want, watch TV, and that' what really takes the longest. And then from that point, you go back, you have pregame meal, some more meetings, get on the bus. For me the day just drags on, where if you get an 11 o'clock game, it's like you wake up and bam you're playing. And plus, for me, I live 15 hours away, so when my mom and dad come in for games, they leave right after the game, so an earlier game, I can spend more time with them and see them more. So I enjoy earlier games."

SPENCER SANDERS, QUARTERBACK

On what stands out about the Texas defense:

"They got some cats. They got [Demarvion Overshown], I feel like they got some talent in the secondary. B.J. Foster, I feel like he's been around for a while, I played against him a couple times. It's kind of Texas, they're always going to get those cats, they always kind of have the five-stars here and there all the time. So it's exciting, but like I've been telling all the guys around the facility and stuff, it's just the next game mentality. We can't look at if the opponent is bigger or smaller, it's just the next game mentality. We're taking this one game at a time. All we need is a W on the slot next week. As long as we just do what we do and stay fundamental, I think we'll be great."

On Texas quarterback Casey Thompson:

"I went to a camp with him actually, I chopped it up with him a little bit. He's a great cat, he's got unbelievable athletic abilities, he's got a great touch with the ball, he's got great rotation on the ball. I believe he's a great quarterback. They got another good quarterback too, I heard Casey just started over him a couple games, so I'm excited for him and excited to see what he's got in person."

On what things he worked on during the bye week:

"You spoke it yourself, footwork and fundamentals. The thing is, all these questions I can answer with the really the same answers as technique and fundamentals because the thing is, we have coaches that get paid to teach us fundamentals. So like coach (Tim) Rattay, he's been in the league a long time, so he knows a lot. As long as I can harness in just the little things and just keep it going, I feel like as an offense we'll really just overcome a step. And a lot of it has to do with me, and I'll take responsibility for, that's fine. I'm just excited for the next game. I'm just anxious."

TYLER LACY, DEFENSIVE END

On his perception of Texas growing up and getting to face the Longhorns each season:

"Growing up in Texas, I was a fan. Growing up as a kid I always wanted to play in the burnt orange, but it didn't go that way and now I'm in a different color orange and I'm glad to be here."

"... I think that definitely gives us a chip on our shoulder. I tell the guys to take this game personal. This is a personal game, especially if you're from Texas. If you're from Texas, you go to Texas, but I think this game is personal. Every game that's coming up is a personal game, but I feel like this is more of a personal game for me."

On what has allowed Oklahoma State to be successful stopping the run this season:

"Trusting the guy beside you. I mean I got Brendon Evers or Jayden Jernigan, or Brock (Martin) on the other side. Just trusting that they're going to do their job and I'll hold my edge and hold my responsibilities, and put trust in coach (Jim) Knowles' defense. I feel like coach Knowles puts us in very good positions to be on the field. It shows, it pays off. You can see the Texas."

On Texas running back Bijan Robinson:

"I feel like this will be a big test, especially because of his explosion and all the jump cuts and stuff he does. So I feel like this is gonna be a good game for us and good battle for us, especially up front for the D-line."

On Oklahoma State defensive tackle Jayden Jernigan:

"I feel like him coming back this year was a big impact for us. It gave us an extra weapon, especially with his very good pass rush. He has a very good twitch off the line and he has good hip flips and he can really rush the passer. And that gives us an extra weapon coming off the bench or whatever, when he starts or whatever happens when he comes into the game. I can trust him, especially when we come out with like our fourth down, third down package, I feel like when we're in the game we have a little momentum shift, we try to hype each other up to get the sack or to disrupt the play. I like being on the field with him at the same time."

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

#8 Pokes are going to Ames as 7 point dogs. I would think that by this time in a season the rankings would somewhat be reflected in the lines out of Vegas but nope. Is it even an upset when there's that sort of discrepancy? 

Okie lite was the dog going on the road to TEXAS -- no surprise that since Cyclones are now playing better and the game is in Ames that Iowa State is favored this Saturday...  

OCT 21, 2021

Mike Gundy believes college pass rushers are the best they've ever been and the next evolution of college football is upon us

The college game has changed a lot over the last several years, and Mike Gundy believes the biggest adjustment to today's game is that pass rushers are better than ever.

https://footballscoop.com/news/mike-gundy-believes-college-pass-rushers-are-the-best-theyve-ever-been-and-the-next-evolution-of-college-football-is-upon-us

On 10/22/2021 at 5:26 PM, El Diablo said:

#8 Pokes are going to Ames as 7 point dogs. I would think that by this time in a season the rankings would somewhat be reflected in the lines out of Vegas but nope. Is it even an upset when there's that sort of discrepancy? 

Yah beat spread, but lost game...  B12 2nd spot in CCG is up for grabs

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...