This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

This board will fucking implode if Harsins team beats Okie Lite, and Hermans team loses. 

No worries. We’ll lose both. The new QB stinks and our defense yet again gives up big plays. Our best team in years last season lost three games, and we lost our two best offensive weapons. I’m pretty down on this team right now.

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

Speaking of new QBs, who is Taylor Cornelius? I only ask because I don’t know anything about him. Is he yall’s starter for sure? 

5th year senior who’s been around the program and knows the offense like he back of his hand. He looked average last week but hell it was his first game. They also have spencer sanders and a Hawaii transfer id figure we would have seen but saving em I guess. Taylor can use his legs and that’s a threat osu hasn’t had for years. Not a quick runner but can get it done. With the weapons on there offense, he will def be able to do well enough to get the job done. He is surrounded by talent.

Yeah I'm going to reserve judgement on Cornelius until after the Boise game.

He looked OK last week, which sounds crazy since he had 5 TD passes.  But he was a little inconsistent on his deep throws and probably missed 2-3 big-time throws that would have likely had everyone singing a different tune about his performance.  (They were 2-3 wide open long TD throws that he just overthrew)  Most of what I saw I'll chalk up to rust from not playing at "game speed" for ~5 years. 

If he can get the rust fully knocked off this week and then get the job done against Boise, who looks like they might be really good, then I'll worry less.

47 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I'm going to reserve judgement on Cornelius until after the Boise game.

He looked OK last week, which sounds crazy since he had 5 TD passes.  But he was a little inconsistent on his deep throws and probably missed 2-3 big-time throws that would have likely had everyone singing a different tune about his performance.  (They were 2-3 wide open long TD throws that he just overthrew)  Most of what I saw I'll chalk up to rust from not playing at "game speed" for ~5 years. 

If he can get the rust fully knocked off this week and then get the job done against Boise, who looks like they might be really good, then I'll worry less.

Those overthrows are what really concern me.  He had a few short passes that were off, but I don't really care.  That stuff happens to all good qbs sometimes.  But his deep throws were way off, and he should have had two additional picks (would have been picks against any FBS team with a pulse).  Our offense doesn't work without the deep threat.  Gundy is being pretty inconsistent, saying that he hasn't shown signs of being nervous, but also that we should be patient with him.  I don't think he's the guy, but Gundy is stubborn enough to let him lose a few games before pulling the plug.  Let's hope he can hit some perfect bomb's this weekend against Southern Alabama.  If he's off again, we won't beat Boise.

8 hours ago, okiehorn said:

5th year senior who’s been around the program and knows the offense like he back of his hand. He looked average last week but hell it was his first game. They also have spencer sanders and a Hawaii transfer id figure we would have seen but saving em I guess. Taylor can use his legs and that’s a threat osu hasn’t had for years. Not a quick runner but can get it done. With the weapons on there offense, he will def be able to do well enough to get the job done. He is surrounded by talent.

I'm thinking the Hawaii kid could get some playing time soon...

1 minute ago, kopp0e said:

I'm thinking the Hawaii kid could get some playing time soon...

I agree, I expected to see him Thursday. They say Corn Dog has had a good week thus far but i just don’t believe he has what it takes. Time will tell. Hopefully have a handle on it before Boise. There gonna be tough 

2 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

I agree, I expected to see him Thursday. They say Corn Dog has had a good week thus far but i just don’t believe he has what it takes. Time will tell. Hopefully have a handle on it before Boise. There gonna be tough 

The Boise game will be the "soul searching moment" for Gundy, on if he wants the team guided by Cornelius for the majority of the snaps in league play...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 'stache said:

Those overthrows are what really concern me.  He had a few short passes that were off, but I don't really care.  That stuff happens to all good qbs sometimes.  But his deep throws were way off, and he should have had two additional picks (would have been picks against any FBS team with a pulse).  Our offense doesn't work without the deep threat.  Gundy is being pretty inconsistent, saying that he hasn't shown signs of being nervous, but also that we should be patient with him.  I don't think he's the guy, but Gundy is stubborn enough to let him lose a few games before pulling the plug.  Let's hope he can hit some perfect bomb's this weekend against Southern Alabama.  If he's off again, we won't beat Boise.

Yes but what often you evaluate a QB on one game is that confirmation bias sets in if you are predisposed to feel one way or another.  If you see him miss on a few deep throws then that becomes "proof" (in your mind) that he simply cannot make those throws.

To be sure, there were a lot of games where Rudolph missed on 2-3 deep balls and he was often wildly inconsistent on short throws. (As an aside, I actually thought that Cornellius had much better touch and accuracy on short throws than Rudolph ever showed).

It's extremely rare that any QB anywhere would play a perfect game in their first start in years, regardless of the competition.

My stance with Cornelius is that I saw a lot of things that were promising and a handful of things that were concerning. If the handful of things happen again in the same way this weekend, then my level of concern will rise.  If they get much better or disappear, I'll chalk it up to him getting more acclimated to game speed.

One thing he does have going for him is that I do believe our RBs are LEGIT.  Leaning on that group will help him a lot.

I just...like every Poke...think of Alex Cate and Daxx Pocket Statue...literally the first drive they were replaced it was an instant ‘this dudes a baller’ look.

I’ll never forget Weedens TD against Colorado, or Masons first possession against Baylor. Granted those may have been two of the best QBs we will ever see at osu but they came out swinging with little nerves apparent.

Maybe we can manage a decent season by leaning on four amazing running backs rotating out with fresh legs and leveraging a more horizontal passing game to get the speed guys in space...but picking the right quarterback is the one place I don’t give Gundy the benefit of the doubt (that and special teams).

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

I just...like every Poke...think of Alex Cate and Daxx Pocket Statue...literally the first drive they were replaced it was an instant ‘this dudes a baller’ look.

I’ll never forget Weedens TD against Colorado, or Masons first possession against Baylor. Granted those may have been two of the best QBs we will ever see at osu but they came out swinging with little nerves apparent.

Maybe we can manage a decent season by leaning on four amazing running backs rotating out with fresh legs and leveraging a more horizontal passing game to get the speed guys in space...but picking the right quarterback is the one place I don’t give Gundy the benefit of the doubt (that and special teams).

The Alex Cate thing is a head-scatcher for sure.  I get Gundy trying to ride Daxx, though. He obviously knew that Rudolph was good but just didn't want to burn his redshirt, especially considering how bad the OL was that year.

And yeah.... both Weeden and Rudolph looked great right away, but as you noted, it's probably a little unfair to Cornelius to expect him to look like that.  Those guys were/are NFL quarterbacks. I don't think anyone expects Cornelius to be in the NFL next year. 

A better comp would be someone like Clint Chelf.  If you recall, Chelf had a few bumpy starts early on but then settled in and became a really good college QB.  If we could get a Clint Chelf-like season out of Cornelius I think that would be a very good thing.

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

I’ll never forget Weedens TD against Colorado

I was sitting in the west end zone for that one, it looked like he was throwing it to me. First I thought, what the hell is he doing? Then that fucking frozen rope drilled Blackmon right in the hands. 

Edited by Sandman

I was expecting him to be like Chelf. We won 10 games that year and lost the Cotton Bowl to Mizzou on some terrible officiating. Our defense was pretty good that year (by our standards at least) and we need the D to step up again this year. I don’t remember Chelf struggling with the deep ball even early but it may be true. I’ll give Corndawg another chance but I’m skeptical. No telling if Dru Brown is any better to be honest, but I’d like to at least see him play.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I was expecting him to be like Chelf. We won 10 games that year and lost the Cotton Bowl to Mizzou on some terrible officiating. Our defense was pretty good that year (by our standards at least) and we need the D to step up again this year. I don’t remember Chelf struggling with the deep ball even early but it may be true. I’ll give Corndawg another chance but I’m skeptical. No telling if Dru Brown is any better to be honest, but I’d like to at least see him play.

Yeah I think we're just in "wait and see" mode now.

Edited by oSuJeff97

How did you guys feel about Cornelius after this game?

I feel like 10x better. I really liked how he moved around and he made a lot of really nice throws.  Yeah he had a couple of pics as well but that's going to happen with an inexperienced QB.

Don't know if it'll be enough against Boise, but I just really through he looked A LOT more comfortable.  

• Like 1

I couldn't watch but I listened to most of it on the radio and have read plenty of post-game commentary.  He still sounds pretty mediocre, at best.  Two interceptions, including one in the endzone, against South Alabama, is flat out concerning.  Our o-line is even more problematic.  Our dynamic running backs will do okay, but they can't be very consistent without good blocking.  Most concerning was that we had to convert several 4th downs to keep drives alive.  Against South Fucking Alabama.  That shit won't work against Big XII competition.  

We will lose to Boise by two touchdowns, minimum.  They are a better team and we are still figuring shit out two games into the season.  I don't think Boise is two touchdowns better than us in general, but we are their only P-5 opponent this year, which means we're basically their Super Bowl.  I can guarantee you they've been preparing for us since day 1 in camp.   They'll come out swinging, and we'll still be in conservative breaking-in-a-new-QB mode (which translates to "predictable").  

I said it in another thread.  I'm pretty disappointed so far and expect 7 wins, 8 if we're lucky.  But I've accepted that reality and am okay with it.  I'll treat this year is a rebuilding year with a stop-gap QB while our understudies train, hopefully get some better o-line play, and break in the new d-coordinator.  If Spencer Sanders is the real deal, he should be ready to take over next year.  I hope we find him some playing time this season within the new redshirt rule. 

19 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

How did you guys feel about Cornelius after this game?

I feel like 10x better. I really liked how he moved around and he made a lot of really nice throws.  Yeah he had a couple of pics as well but that's going to happen with an inexperienced QB.

Don't know if it'll be enough against Boise, but I just really through he looked A LOT more comfortable.  

I think he "shook off the rust" , we will know a lot more about the credibility of the Cowpoke after facing the Bronchos...

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I couldn't watch but I listened to most of it on the radio and have read plenty of post-game commentary.  He still sounds pretty mediocre, at best.  Two interceptions, including one in the endzone, against South Alabama, is flat out concerning.  Our o-line is even more problematic.  Our dynamic running backs will do okay, but they can't be very consistent without good blocking.  Most concerning was that we had to convert several 4th downs to keep drives alive.  Against South Fucking Alabama.  That shit won't work against Big XII competition.  

We will lose to Boise by two touchdowns, minimum.  They are a better team and we are still figuring shit out two games into the season.  I don't think Boise is two touchdowns better than us in general, but we are their only P-5 opponent this year, which means we're basically their Super Bowl.  I can guarantee you they've been preparing for us since day 1 in camp.   They'll come out swinging, and we'll still be in conservative breaking-in-a-new-QB mode (which translates to "predictable").  

I said it in another thread.  I'm pretty disappointed so far and expect 7 wins, 8 if we're lucky.  But I've accepted that reality and am okay with it.  I'll treat this year is a rebuilding year with a stop-gap QB while our understudies train, hopefully get some better o-line play, and break in the new d-coordinator.  If Spencer Sanders is the real deal, he should be ready to take over next year.  I hope we find him some playing time this season within the new redshirt rule. 

I mean... you realize our game against S. Alabama was almost identical to last year's game right? 

We couldn't run the ball against them last year either because they employed the same game plan both years: put 7 in the box to stop the run and hope we won't destroy them in the air. Hill had 27 yards against them. 

And yeah Rudolph didn't throw any picks, but he was also a 4th year senior starter.  Cornelius was in his second start. He's not going to play perfect in his 1st, 2nd or 3rd start against anyone, no matter the competition.  Brandon Weeden threw 2 INTs against Troy in his second start.... a game we were lucky to win.  It's not like that was a great Troy team. They finished 7-5.  No, Cornelius isn't Weeden but Weeden threw those picks based on inexperience... not on his inability to make throws or run the offense. The latter would be much more concerning.

So I get tampering expectations, but I think you're completely ignoring all of the good things that Cornelius did and just focusing on a few bad decisions he made.

Go look at some of the throws he made at this thread on PFP:

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/breaking-down-taylor-cornelius-second-start-reads-and-throws-for-the-cowboys/

There are some big-time throws in there.  (It's also interesting in that one of the "bad" examples he shows is a throw/catch I saw Rudolph/Washington make about 100 times. The difference is that Wallace just didn't come down with the ball like Washington did nearly every time.)

I'm not saying he's not a work-in-progress, because he is.  I'm just saying that he looked night-and-day different from the first game to the second, in terms of his comfort in the pocket/confidence and his ability to execute a number of difficult throws. I was really worried that if Boise loaded the box and forced us to beat them throwing that we wouldn't have a chance.  I think we do have a chance now and they have to be thinking the same thing... so now they have to decide if they want to load up and let Corneilus throw or if they want to take a chance with our RBs.

Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

P.S. What we should be worried about this week is how our defense will stop Boise's offense. 

Cornelius was no doubt better in this game. He at least made some good reads. But I am still skeptical. And the o line is not what it needs to be.  

From what we have seen so far, I expect about 8 wins.  I will be surprised if we beat Boise, OU, or TCU.  And I think we lose at least 1-2 other conference games.  The only thing keeping me somewhat optimistic is that some of the other Big 12 teams look unimpressive so far.  

Hopefully we can put up a good showing against Boise.  We don't know much about the team yet given the poor competition in the first two games.  A win in that game would shift my perspective a good bit.  

18 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I mean... you realize our game against S. Alabama was almost identical to last year's game right? 

We couldn't run the ball against them last year either because they employed the same game plan both years: put 7 in the box to stop the run and hope we won't destroy them in the air. Hill had 27 yards against them.  

Which raises another point, that even with the best QB in history and CFP aspirations, we played super vanilla against weak non-conference opponents, and basically have to start with the broader offense 3-4 games into the season.  I love Gundy, but this aspect of his coaching drives me crazy.  He loves crappy non-conference opponents and holding back on offensive play-calling.  Theoretically, it should have worked last year since our stars weren't green, but its super dangerous with a new QB whose experience is being asked to overcome shortcomings in overall talent.  And lets not forget that last years team was expected to do great things and ended up losing three games.  I just don't see this group doing any better than that, hence 7-8 wins tops.  And I'm generally okay with that and would love nothing more than to eat a healthy serving of crow if I'm wrong.

Also, do you agree that Boise is particularly dangerous because we are the only P-5 on their schedule?  I expect they will through all sorts of crazy offensive plays and score a ton of points.  Meanwhile, our vanilla playcalling with a struggling o-line will stall regularly, and if we try to throw something more creative out there, it will not have been game tested.  I don't see any way we pull out a win this week.  

Edited by 'stache

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Which raises another point, that even with the best QB in history and CFP aspirations, we played super vanilla against weak non-conference opponents, and basically have to start with the broader offense 3-4 games into the season.  I love Gundy, but this aspect of his coaching drives me crazy.  He loves crappy non-conference opponents and holding back on offensive play-calling.  Theoretically, it should have worked last year since our stars weren't green, but its super dangerous with a new QB whose experience is being asked to overcome shortcomings in overall talent.  And lets not forget that last years team was expected to do great things and ended up losing three games.  I just don't see this group doing any better than that, hence 7-8 wins tops.  And I'm generally okay with that and would love nothing more than to eat a healthy serving of crow if I'm wrong.

Also, do you agree that Boise is particularly dangerous because we are the only P-5 on their schedule?  I expect they will through all sorts of crazy offensive plays and score a ton of points.  Meanwhile, our vanilla playcalling with a struggling o-line will stall regularly, and if we try to throw something more creative out there, it will not have been game tested.  I don't see any way we pull out a win this week.  

I'm not sure I'm understanding your point about playcalling.  My point was that S. Alabama loaded up the box on us in both games, which limited rushing output. 

But we still scored 55 points and had 617 yards of offense.  Last year against them we scored 44 points and had 505 yards of offense.

I don't think we were "limiting the playbook" other than taking what they were giving us, in terms of favoring passing vs. rushing.  I don't think there's any coach out there who would unleash a bunch of "creative" or trick plays against over-matched non-conference opponents.  Besides, the "creativity" typically involves just running the same plays out of different formations or personnel packages that the other team hasn't seen.  It still involves the same route trees/throws/execution. I'm not worried about stuff like that not being "game tested" because it's just alignments/formations.

And I would say Boise is particularly dangerous simply because they are a really good team.  Yeah they may be looking at us thinking we are the biggest barrier to an undefeated season, but stuff like that wears off early on. 

Like I said -- the biggest concern this week I have is how our defense will stop Boise.  They have a really good experienced QB and good skill position players.  It will be a HUGE challenge for the defense to slow them down.

But I'm sure if we lose 48-41 or something like that it will be all Yurcich's and/or Cornelius's fault.  ;)

Edited by oSuJeff97

4 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'm not sure I'm understanding your point about playcalling.  My point was that S. Alabama loaded up the box on us in both games, which limited rushing output. 

But we still scored 55 points and had 617 yards of offense.  Last year against them we scored 44 points and had 505 yards of offense.

Which goes to the broader problem that the o-line hasn't improved.  We should have been able to score 55 points on Southern Alabama both years by halftime, even if they load the box, because our o-line should be that much better physically than their d-line/linebackers.  Or we should be able to pass with ease if they really are loading the box.  It sure as heck shouldn't require several fourth down conversions to keep drives alive.  

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

One thing I’ve always been curious about.
62aa1aef8fdfe300dd9ddd8024b9ab6c.png
Who are the paddle people? Are they an organization? Also, how did that tradition start?

They are OSU students who are sitting all along the first row of the student sections, which cover whole NW part of the stadium.

Just based off memory, they really started in earnest some time during the Les Miles era... some time in 2002-04ish.  I think it's kind of like most things like this... it was just a handful of students who brought the paddles and were pounding on the mats on the first row of the student section... then more and more started bringing them and then it kind of became a thing.

I have no idea how they are "organized" other than I'm guessing the people who want to do it have to be like the first students in the stadium for each game so they can get the first row of the student section along the NW side of the stadium.

EDIT - found a Tulsa World story about them from 2014.  Looks like they did kind of start in the Les Miles era... around 2004.  Looks like the students basically have to camp out in order to get their front row seats.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/who-are-the-paddle-people/article_ad93731a-edb8-11e3-b18e-0017a43b2370.html

Edited by oSuJeff97

^^^

Ha I remember that game.  My senior year in college.  Year 2 of Bob Simmons.  Byron Hanspard (sp?) ran for like elevnty thousand yards against us that day and Tech destroyed us. 

We were still one year away from making our first bowl game since Barry Sanders left.  Man, that was a different time.

• Like 1