This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

Just now, Machinator said:

I don't get it, he seems alright. Do you guys not trust Gundy when it comes to making decisions on the offensive side of the ball?

I think most do.

But there is a very loud/vocal sect of fans who never got over Gundy hiring Yurcich from Shippenburg State back in 2014.  This portion of the fan base had just a massive load of cognitive dissonance about Yurcich just based on the first 8 games of the 2014 season when we were rolling Dax fucking Garmin out there at QB and we had a patchwork of offensive linemen off the street.  

Never mind that he had 5 years of EXCELLENT results once he got a competent QB (Rudolph) in there.  And hell look at this year... he takes a former walk-on and churns out another top 10 offense. But Yurcich still "sucks" according to this group of people.

And so now Gundy basically does the same thing -- grabs a virtual unknown from FCS instead of making a "flashy" hire like one of the hot "Air Raid" guys (Kingsbury, Cumbie, etc.)... and so that same group of fans has already decided this guy "sucks."

I think most do.
But there is a very loud/vocal sect of fans who never got over Gundy hiring Yurcich from Shippenburg State back in 2014.  This portion of the fan base had just a massive load of cognitive dissonance about Yurcich just based on the first 8 games of the 2014 season when we were rolling Dax fucking Garmin out there at QB and we had a patchwork of offensive linemen off the street.  
Never mind that he had 5 years of EXCELLENT results once he got a competent QB (Rudolph) in there.  And hell look at this year... he takes a former walk-on and churns out another top 10 offense. But Yurcich still "sucks" according to this group of people.
And so now Gundy basically does the same thing -- grabs a virtual unknown from FCS instead of making a "flashy" hire like one of the hot "Air Raid" guys (Kingsbury, Cumbie, etc.)... and so that same group of fans has already decided this guy "sucks."

Canvassing the boards and online there’s not nearly as much of that as I was expecting. Yeah the idiots are out there but the response is mostly positive. I like the hire, young and innovative, and the film I’ve seen shows that his style looks a lot like what we’ve done for years so it should be a smooth transition. Hopefully he can mold Spencer Sanders into a Star.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

As the story goes, Gundy searched around for prolific offenses on the NCAA’s stats website, liked what he saw from Shippensburg, watched some videos online, and went from there. There was no geographic familiarity, no pre-existing relationship, only a willingness to get creative to find the right fit. If you’re willing to go to Shippensburg, then the Ivy League certainly isn’t that much of a reach.

Edited by satyanash

“Our guys can really process the information,” Surace says. “You can talk to them at a high level football-wise. They’re not NFL players, and we don’t have unlimited time with them, but within that small work week, we can give them a lot of information.”

If his system is predicated on Ivy League IQ and information processing ability Gleeson may have to tweak it just a tad in Stillwater.

I think most of that smoke is from aggy boards, since they think they can just pluck anyone from anywhere because aggy is so great blueblood turdition. I think Henson gets a raise and stays at OSU, and aggy hires some smuck, who they'll pay 17 fuckzillion dollars and proclaim him to be the next great all time coach of the history in ever.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think most of that smoke is from aggy boards, since they think they can just pluck anyone from anywhere because aggy is so great blueblood turdition. I think Henson gets a raise and stays at OSU, and aggy hires some smuck, who they'll pay 17 fuckzillion dollars and proclaim him to be the next great all time coach of the history in ever.

I hope so.

I'd say Henson should be Gundy's #1 priority to keep on staff.  He and Dunn are our two best position coaches by far.  If they need to give him a co-OC title then just do it.

I seem to recall that Joe Deforest was special teams coordinator and "assistant" or "associate" head coach.  Maybe that's in the works with a nice pay raise.  I think Henson could be a future head coach here, but I don't think Gundy is hanging it up soon. I think he'll retire sometime in the latter part of the next decade.

Edited by 'stache

On 2/6/2019 at 6:32 PM, Go Pokes said:

Fuck!!!!!! Yes he is. That’s a HUGE loss. We’re just getting our O-line back in shape and now he’s leaving? Fuck me.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:47 PM, Okie State said:
On 2/6/2019 at 5:22 PM, Machinator said:
Word is that A&M will hire away the OSU O-line coach Josh Henson.
Is he any good?

Of course. Fantastic.

Well, looks like they upgraded then.

Yep this sucks he was a great recruiter and decent o-line coach. Bit of a journeyman though and maybe he was upset he didn’t get the OC job. I dunno I’m numb to transfers at this point

With all the movement this offseason his name never came up for any other OC. I’m glad we don’t promote to avoid losing less qualified people. I hope the raise is worth dealing with those retards. He also set his career back, in my opinion, as an offensive coach if promotion was his aim. You can’t fix stupid.

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

With all the movement this offseason his name never came up for any other OC. I’m glad we don’t promote to avoid losing less qualified people. I hope the raise is worth dealing with those retards. He also set his career back, in my opinion, as an offensive coach if promotion was his aim. You can’t fix stupid.

Two of A&M's coaches since Jimbo arrived have gone to the NFL, and Elko is in consideration, so maybe he wants to leave the college ranks.

56 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Reports are that he is getting a “substantial raise“. When does the financial scandal hit? The money they spend is not real. Fucking aggy. So fucking desperate to be relevant.

https://newsok.com/article/5622450/report-josh-henson-leaving-osu-to-be-texas-ams-offensive-line-coach

"Texas A&M offered “significantly more money” to Henson, according to a report from GoPokes.com, which said Henson would be earning at least $600,000 at Texas A&M. Henson made $420,000 this past season."

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

Pretty sure that bridge was burned. Unless I'm not remembering correctly, I don't think he left on good terms.

Not a good situation when Wickline left..... Had Texas folks testifying in the lawsuit.  Not sure Texas covered Wickline 's legal fees either.   But Texas did pay $300k to settle suit with Okie Lite after Wickline was fired at Texas.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/joe-wickline-lawsuit-settled-by-oklahoma-state-221533166.html

Edited by LTtxfan